SchnitzelTruck

T54 Prototype

197 posts in this topic

So now that the t54proto is on the Test Server along with the Scorpion and the scorp got a thread I figured t54 deserved one too.

So far I like it despite enemies full gold spamming on the test. Quite the bully tank. Like a more mobile Is6 in terms of frontal armor but without pref MM. Pretty garbage acceleration but I expected as much considering it has 200 effective upper plate at tier8. Lower plate is 165 effective due to weaker angle.

Turret seems fairly solid also. Weakest point on gun mantlet is 180mm and goes up to 220+ from there. Cheeks of turret are similar with 180 at the flattest part going up to 300.

30mm roof though, however its very flat and hard to hit from the front without a bit of height advantage.

A T-44 clone that traded its mobility for armor. The lack of acceleration and its tendency to hover at mid 30kmh is a bit annoying as you cant take advantage of forward positions very well.

Gun handling is a bit iffy. Good enough to peekaboo snapshot people within 100m, but outside of that little chance to hit.

-5 gun depression like all the Russian clones, a bit limiting but not completely terrible.

Only 34 shells limits the carry ability especially if you use multiple shell types. On test I have 22 AP, 10 APCR, 2 HE and nearly ran out of AP multiple times due to the derpy nature of the 100mm while only managing ~4k dmg.

Those that have played it, Thoughts on T54proto? 

Someone at WG was definitely high when they thought "Why don't we put a tank thats immune to most tier 8s into Tier 8 Matchmaking?"

I foresee some forum sperges in the future over this tank facerolling tier6s and 7s. But no pref MM with low mobility and only 175 pen is gonna be a kick in the rear...

Pics?

Just load up tank inspector. T54proto is in the 9.6 files also, no need to DL 9.7 test to look at it.

Someone at WG was definitely high when they thought "Why don't we put a tank thats immune to most tier 8s into Tier 8 Matchmaking?"

Well, only the front hull...

turret? not really. It's more comparable to a mobile IS-6 with a 100mm gun and no pref MM.

turret? not really. It's more comparable to a mobile IS-6 with a 100mm gun and no pref MM.

the turret is beastly apart from the gun mantlet which is mostly 180mm. The extremely tiny cheeks next to the mantlet are rounded heavily and only the very center is 180 effective. it quickly hits 200-220-300 the farther from center you hit. The angled sides of the turret are 150mm armor that is ricochet to 300+ effective depending on how close you are shooting from.

In test where everyone spams gold only a few shots (like 1/3) managed to pen the gun mantlet, rest hit the edges of cheeks or went too high and hit the parts of mantlet that are 220+

The only reliable frontal weakpoint it has is the 165 effective lower plate.

Its a strong tank. However, its slow for a medium and the pen is bad, even though you DO get tier 10s. APCR spam is to be expected, armor is delightful when you are top tier, but its not good for anything else... Gun handling meh, I had a great result in it, 3k damage and a win but I don't want to bother playing it, not my type of tonk.

Its a strong tank. However, its slow for a medium and the pen is bad, even though you DO get tier 10s. APCR spam is to be expected, armor is delightful when you are top tier, but its not good for anything else... Gun handling meh, I had a great result in it, 3k damage and a win but I don't want to bother playing it, not my type of tonk.

yeah the mobility really is piss poor. I had quite a few good games in tier10 including a couple Aces, but youre right. When you arent top/mid tier that armor fades away quickly and it really doesnt have the mobility to get into good positions.

You are implying Is6 has any turret armor.

Give it an APCR round with enough penetration to go through the Lower plate of an E100 reliably (~270mm) and I'll buy it.

I wouldn't mind owning one if it didn't run into tier 10 tanks. This thing is just going to get stomped in tier 10 battles like it'll stomp the tier 6 and 7 tanks it sees.

Both prems this patch look meh, but I might grab myself a Cheeser le Chode for gold once 9.7 hits.

You are implying Is6 has any turret armor.

It's about the same strength as the T-54 proto from my experience shooting them in the M56.

Good enough for <200 pen guns, but it starts to falter after that.

Overall, not extremely impressed, but it looks to be above-average.

The lack of mobility kills it. I could handle the less than stellar pen if it could flank well but with crap mobility thats probably not going to happen. Just get the AMX CDC or a P88 as the P88 has the gun to make up for it and the AMX CDC has amazing acceleration.

I love the look of it. I already think the T44 is one of the sexiest tanks ingame and T54 Proto is no exception. I do like it but I only drove it against T8s so far, can´t say how fail it could be in T10 games.

How is the gun handling, say compared with the Type?

One of my major issues with the type is bad gun handling.

Soooo, slow medium with strong frontal armor, 165mm weakspot, bad pen and no pref MM. How is this thing better than Super Pershing?

It's not even really the T-54 hull. The lfp is far less angled on this prototype compared to the normal T-54 and an actual weakspot most tier 8's and even some tier 7's will have little trouble penning.

Just compare the lfp in tank inspector with the normal T-54.

yeah the mobility really is piss poor. I had quite a few good games in tier10 including a couple Aces, but youre right. When you arent top/mid tier that armor fades away quickly and it really doesnt have the mobility to get into good positions.

Yep. Same problems with my games in it. It lacks the mobility it needs to get into the positions that are good for mediums, and the top speed is horrid so even if you build up some momentum you really won't be doing much better. I think its just going to be a good bullier, and tier 10s will fuck your shit if you even think if trying to go against them. I don't even think it can pen the side of an E 100 reliably, let alone say a Maus. Flanking won't be an option as your speed will limit your circling ability. The APCR rounds are nice though. You can go throw most lfps of tier 10 heavies if you load APCR. But the point of getting a premium is to make money... So why bother?

How is the gun handling, say compared with the Type?

One of my major issues with the type is bad gun handling.

On the move should be roughly the same, but the T-54 mod 1 should have a slight advantage otherwise.  Aim time and base accuracy are both a little better, along with a little extra RoF.  Has to make due with 1° less depression though.

Just been playing it on the CT.  You couldn't pay me to play this tank.  I'm certainly not buying it.  Agility is bad, and it gets ammo racked with about every third shot it takes.  If you ran three repair kits you'd still be in trouble.  It does do about 40 on flat terrain though, so it's not as slow as some are saying.  Just sluggish.    

It doesn't do well against T8, it gets slaughtered by T10.  And, no, it can't pen even the side of a Maus.

This is exactly the sort of tank you should never be putting into the game. It's going to be OP as shit when top tier yet so useless when low tier that no decent player will want to play it. So top tier bads will be a bitch to take out in these things and thus adore it, yet the tank will still be bad.