csbassplayer

How the bloody f*** does one counter the VK 45.02B?

40 posts in this topic

Ok, so Ive had at least 2 games in the last 20 that I botched carries in because I couldn't kill one of these damned things.  The first was in an IS8 on Himmelsderp.  He was a one shot, I was a two shot to him. All I had to do was get one pen. Couldn't do it.  I've stared at the Tank Inspector armor layout for 30 mins, and cant figure it out.  Obviously sides/rear are  preferred, but what is your best bet from the front?  The LFP is a false weakspot I know.  The left side machinegun can be 300ish if you don't hit it in the right spot, and a small vent on the right.  I usually try the turret face, because it is flat and weak ENOUGH (250ish) and I do the same vs other E75s often if I cant see the LFP. 2 no pens with HEAT. And I died.  Another game last night, E75, a tank I have shit on E100s with and know quite well.  Sidescraping vs a complete scrub in the VK.  I get one pen on the turret face, he bounces/non pens 4 others. He pens me twice so I withdraw.  Later on a fight for the cap. More bounces on several different spots, he kills me through the LFP.  This was in front of Deusmortis (sorry, I failed ye) as well.  How the hell do I kill this thing when I can't side/rear shot him?  300 pen should be more than enough according to the armor profile, and twice now, it really hasn't been...

Bad luck or bad choices?

TL;DR - best frontal shot zone to kill a VK 45.02B in a comparable heavy? (obviously, in a medium this is a simpler proposition)

I typically load gold and shoot them in the turret face. If I can't do that, I try to make sure I can close the distance so it's harder for them to keep their front towards me. Those sides are butter. If all else fails, I just move to a different corridor and keep firing away, bringing down their allies until I can shoot them safely.

Machine gun port, commander's hatch and turret frontal plate (HEAT will rape it easily). Also you may detrack him and flank (that VK is sluggish as hell).

-Hatch is 170mm effective. Right in front of the hatch is a periscope with 0 armor behind it. Shots that miss the hatch often go through the periscope and do damage anyway.

-Load prem ammo and pen the turret face.

-Flank it

-NEVER SHOOT THE HULL

Load gold in your tier 10 TD for lulz. Then still bounce on front. Then rage. Profit?

I like how you think.

The sides of the hull and turret are both pretty weak to most guns that it sees. A lot of people playing this will angle too much and this lets you get easy shots on the side sprockets. The cupola is also pretty easy to hit since it's such a slow tank. 

Load in with JPE load precautionary HEAT aim anywhere frontally. Profit

E4 'precautionary' APCR.

But seriously. Load gold, hit flat turret face.

340 heat doesn't seem to have any issues with the hull.

Besides that, you can always face hug it in a JagdKitten 88 and steal all his health through his cupola :3

Gold into ze turret is your best bet. I do love if I drive a tank with really good HEAT rounds for that matter.

Honestly, try very hard to decline a frontal engagement unless you can hulldown in a place where you can safely shoot his cupola. If a VK 45.02B has you on lockdown, you need to either a) rush him and pelt his sides and rear or b) retreat to a position that would force him out into the open in order to advance. Once he starts pushing, try to get an angle and hit his side.

Optionally, if you can get a teammate to get him to turn his turret ever so slightly, you can easily pen the side of his turret. There's practically no armor there and what little it has is only effective if he's looking right at you. Once his turret is about 15 or 20 degrees off-center, you can easily pen the side.

Shoot the LFP until he bounces enough to accomplish his damage blocked mission. Next battle he'll be in a different tank so you won't have to worry about the VK anymore.

This tank is hilarious to play.  I find myself driving across open spaces just for the fun of bouncing a hail of fire.  I particularly enjoy eating clips from waffles.  Then I find a nice corner and poke just the front of my hull out for giggles.

So far I've completed HT-12 mission version 1 once, version 2 once, and version 3 once......in 8 games......

In both cases I was using gold/HEAT.  I guess I'll just have to blame bad luck because I was aiming for the turret face most of the time and started switching due to repeated non pens/crits.