Folterknecht

HOW TO post in case of: hardware issues + new-PC-upgrade + usefull links

45 posts in this topic

Hi!

As one of the main PC-support guys in this forum, I m getting a little bit annoyed by the back and forth that's eating up everyones time, causes misunderstandings and can be easily avoided by providing basic system information right in the starting post.

In case you

• want to buy a new PC or upgrade the existing one
  • not sure if problems are hardware or software related or a mix of both
  • try to solve hardware, temperature or performance problems
  • If your system doesnt work at all either provide the name/model in case its prebuild/of the shelve or post a copy of the invoice, if its build from parts/custom, detailing the components

please provide the following information in your starting post by either uploading a screenshot like this (use HWInfo32 if your not sure if you have a 32 or 64 bit operating System) or linking to the DxDiag.txt file you uploaded somewhere on the web. In case you are using the screenshot, pleases also post your monitors native resolution OR the monitors name/model.

Also tell us what power supply (PSU) you are using - if not sure open your case and take a photo of the sticker with all the numbers (readable pls) and upload it somewhere.

And of cause the budget and your location play an important role, if you plan to spend money.

If you have temperature issues please also add the temperatures. Screenshots of the GPUz sensor screen set to "MAX" (left click between sensor name and histogramm) for your graphic card and the tempsensors/values provided by HWInfo for your CPU after you put some load on the system.
The name and model of your computer case ( or at least big tower or small cube), CPU cooler and the exact GPU brand/model (for example "Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme") will also help a great deal.

In case of performance issues pls first make sure

• you dont have a temperature problem (modern hardware will often throttle back in that case)
  • and your drivers are up to date.

If your temps are ok pleases provide the following infos regarding your ingame settings:

- resolution, old or new render, Antialiasing settings ...

or just post/link a screenshot like this if not sure.

thx

Folterknecht

edit:

On 2.4.2015 at 9:24 PM, Haswell said:

When posting "my box can't boot" or something along those lines, please specify WHEN and WHERE things start going wonky. The definition of "can't boot" ranges from not being able to POST to the OS loading screen freezing up, if you don't say anything we might as well assume you forgot to plug in the power cord.

List of topics already covered here:

Guides + FAQ + Reviews:

CPU

Motherboard

PSUs

• Johnny Gurus Tops & Flops (comprehensive lists of PSUs by the most trusted PSU reviewer on the net - ofc they can't test them all)

RAM

Graphic Cards

Miscellaneous

When posting "my box can't boot" or something along those lines, please specify WHEN and WHERE things start going wonky. The definition of "can't boot" ranges from not being able to POST to the OS loading screen freezing up, if you don't say anything we might as well assume you forgot to plug in the power cord.

Being a first time PC builder, I'll have to remember this thread in case I have issues. I've got all my parts picked out, I've made sure they are all compatible with each other. But if I have issues that I don't have answers to, this will be one of the first places I go to.

eHKMpaN.png

Welp...!!!

I am thinking those hard disk cannot be remove and cannot be extend into primary.

So what are those?

What they do?

Is it Windows System does automatically create without noticing us?

What de hell...

I havent figure out...

Guides and FAQ:

RAM

Graphic Cards

What kinds of information and how do I get the current information do you guys need to advise me what to upgrade on my PC?  I.e is there a program that I can run on my PC to get you this information?

Motherboard?  CPU?  Memory?  etc???

Shfty©

@Shfty

Could you open up a new thread with that information and explain what you have in mind?

edit:

That screenshot regarding the monitor is pretty useless. But from what I see from the log file - you have have two GPUs (660Ti + 650Ti) and two monitors both 1920 x 1080 (Asus + Sceptre). Please also explain in your thread what is going on with that config.

I got install SSD for laptop.

What I need to configure for allocation unit size? Should I switch to default or 512 > 64k?

Edited by IanSanJR

I got install SSD for laptop.

What I need to configure for allocation unit size? Should I switch to default or 512 > 64k?

1) This isn't a Q&A thread - so next time please open a seperate topic!

2) What OS are you using, that such a question pops up? And only older HDDs still use 512Byte sector size, newer ones come "preformated" with 4KB. For SSDs it's 4K from the go, I think it isn't even possible to set sector size to anything smaller than 4KB. So yes - set it to 4KB (don't know what the default setting is).

Edited by Folterknecht

Microsoft hasn't yet closed the door all the way for those in search of a Windows 10 freebie.

You can still get your hands on a no-cost upgrade to Windows 10 by turning to a page for people who use assistive technologies.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade