Folterknecht

HOW TO post in case of: hardware issues + new-PC-upgrade + usefull links

45 posts in this topic

On 30.11.2016 at 4:17 PM, TheMarine0341 said:

So like I said before, its good for a starting budget build 

For that I 'd look into a used GTX 970 (probably ~150$ for ~2x the performance with a custom card). Though it's good card for upgrading crappy off the shelf PCs where you can't upgrade the PSU because of proprietary connectors on PSU and mainboard.

The thing is that the performance jump between 120-160$ cards (new ones) and the  ~200$ bracket is very big, let alone all those 970s floating around atm.

On 11/29/2016 at 4:50 AM, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

@Folterknecht that's actually quite impressive all considering, an substantial improvement for average "consumer" PC"s

On top of that gamemode.dll incoming, so it's step in right direction.

2 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

On top of that gamemode.dll incoming, so it's step in right direction.

Atm nobody really seems to know what that will be good for. Might be an Xbone thingy and if not probably bloatware infested of the shelf machines will be the main beneficiaries .

1 minute ago, Folterknecht said:

Atm nobody really seems to know what that will be good for. Might be an Xbone thingy and if not probably bloatware infested of the shelf machines will be the main beneficiaries .

Adaptive settings for UWP apps? I mean XBOX already scaling settings to FPS, this is IMHO step in unifying platforms for less redundancy and better experience. 

Worst grudge of PC gaming is that fragmentation, and performance gap between PCs. But we'll see. 

58 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Not so much if a difference, between 5-30% at its best. Man I would like to see AMD stepping up and bringing Intel performance just to speed things up.

Best topic I could find to post this in case it saves Folter some time.

If your question is "Should I wait for Coffee Lake before making a purchase decision?" the answer is YES.

If you want convert from MBR (bios) to GPT (EFI) setup, you can easily with w10 (creators update). Launch CMD, type mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS. This isn't recommended with live OS (hance switch /allowfullos) but works just fine.

Dont forget change boot method after restart.