Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guardian54

VK 4502 A... since I didn't find a thread for it in Search

42 posts in this topic

EDIT: apologies, this wasn't enough for its own thread... since there didn't seem to be a 4502 A thread, let's expand into a whine discussion thread about this horrifyingly bad abomination mediocre decensored... er, camo-reduced medium heavy.

I'd like to ask if the top turret adds gun depression, since that is one of the aspects I find more irritating about this tank due to the mix of everything else (mostly the grossly inadequate armor). I have the gun and suspension already

Would you recommend doing the turret first or doing another 16K of dailies and getting the engine? (Because honestly this is a medium with no camo and bad aim time)

I couldn't find threads on this steaming slag heap in search, so... this.

"I used to think the 90mm AMX M4 45 was bad, but then I took a 4502 A to the stat page."

Tried this tank as orange: hated it.

Tried this tank as yellow: hated it.

Tried this tank as green: holy fuck why you so bad?!

It's a fat medium with poor pen, no gun depression, slow turret rotation (seriously, the number of times I've missed a shot because I'm trying to drive and shoot and the turret can't keep up with the hull...) And don't get me started about the "armor".

I'd recommend free xp. To the vk B.

And no, the top turret doesn't add depression. You need the engine if you want to go anything, so I'd get that first.

The tank is OP when top tier.  8)

Carefuly observe the enemy team at the start of the game. Place their tanks in three categories: <175 pen, 175-200 pen, 200+ pen tanks; and try to predict where all those tanks will go.

When properly angled your front has a nice uniform armor protection with a noob trap (lower plate is immune to guns with less than 240 pen). If someone wants to shoot your LFP - let them do it and collect their tears after.

So what you want to do is find and annihilate their <175 pen tanks as soon as possible. Just angle your front and yolo into the unfortunates. I was a 48% win rate tomato with my VK45 but once I started actively hunting T-44s, IS-6, IS, Type 59 and similar low pen tanks I never lost a tier 8 game, at least I don't remember I did.  :beard:

The 200+ pen tanks like IS-3, Centurion or STA you obviously want to avoid. You can beat them but they'll take a huge chunk of your HP in the process.

*Keep an eye on tanks with low base pen but godly prem rounds. For example: Pershings, T69s and IS-2s with regular ammo are dead meat for your VKA. But when they press "2" it's time to GTFO.  =D

Wow! Strangely enough I really liked that tank. Great speed, uniform armor (which is great, overangle all day every day),relatively fast aiming gun with great DPM for tier, what's not to love!

Generally what Bobi_Kreeg said, furthermore, you can really take on 200-250 pen guns if you find a corner to hide your hull and overangle your front (poke your frontal plate -> bounce -> dish 640 damage)
You can even defeat noobs in ISU that way, since they are overconfident in their pen (angle has to be really steep tho).

Engine first, mobility is a key.
And yes. Use gold. 

Some replays:

Live Oaks push: http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/super_creep-ru-c4d746be7564d6c89cb1dd78e193ab09/live_oaks-germany-vk_45_02__p__ausf__a-169701052714336860

Redshire Encounter, (capture the base IM for T-55): http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/super_creep-ru-c4d746be7564d6c89cb1dd78e193ab09/redshire-germany-vk_45_02__p__ausf__a-277031112347374

Serene Coast (no depression? so what?): http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/super_creep-ru-c4d746be7564d6c89cb1dd78e193ab09/serene_coast-germany-vk_45_02__p__ausf__a-160829540066649559  

Pearl River mid push: http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/super_creep-ru-c4d746be7564d6c89cb1dd78e193ab09/pearl_river-germany-vk_45_02__p__ausf__a-146461409877441997

Hope it helps!

So, top engine increases performance significantly?

I just find tank mediocre at best

I just find tank mediocre at best

I just finished grinding through this tank and would agree that it is mediocre at best.

The gun is decent and is probably the highest point of the tank.  Although the pen is a little on the low side, it is still serviceable and comes with solid alpha, DPM, and handling.

The mobility is good for a heavy but still falls far behind and proper medium.  You can't do things with it that you can do with most mediums.  I also found the turret traverse speed to be a nuisance.  The best you can say is that it does a good job of bullying lower tier mediums who lack any significant penetration (although given the proliferation of gold rounds even this role was not very effective).

The armor would be great for a medium, but for a heavy it is pretty poor.  Even with ideal angling you can only get your minimum effective armor on the hull to ~175.  The turret is also fairly soft, particularly the cheeks.  This gives you highly unreliable protection from many of the common guns you will see.  But more so you just don't have any hard armor that can be abused - no strong turret, no strong upper plate, etc.

This has been the least enjoyable tier 8 heavy that I have played yet.

I loved mine, it was like a fast Tiger 2. most of the time i stayed with our meds and shot 320s in peoples faces.

I'll join the 'it's mediocre' crowd. I would never call it bad though.

I didn't mind the grind (it's a somewhat flexible tank), but in my experience it didn't do anything particularly well either - apart from bullying low tiers.

It isn't bad. Tier 8 is kind of a crappy tier now since you get thrown into higher tier matches as fodder so much, but the VK A does at least have enough speed to act as a pseudo medium, and a punchy enough gun to hurt most tier 10s from the side.

The one good thing about it is that you don't get penned frontally by Tier 6 light tanks, unlike the Caernarvon even when angled correctly, that LFP on the Caern is cancerous, but at least Caern has a better gun in HANDLING (the most important part of a gun for me)...

I've relegated this tank to strongholds only, it is too mediocre for my taste. Even there it is still pretty bad but at least I have great teammates.

I actually like this tank. It wrecks face when top tier, and 320 alpha is strange(ly fun) when coming from French 90mm's. I was worried that it would be an up-tiered AMX M4 45, but this thing has usable armor when top tier.

The lack of gun depression really hurts but I've certainly played worse tanks overall (*glares at AMX M4*) It is a great medium/low tier bully, and can take on IS6's who don't fire gold.

Sold with immense satisfaction. It is one of those tanks that leaves you wanting in any situation - every feature is going in the right direction but not good enough to make it exploitable. The turret is decent but not hard enough. The armor is decent but not strong enough. The mobility is ok but not good enough. The gun depression is not horrible but again not good enough.

"Not quite good enough" is what describes this mediocre tank.

The VK 45.02 A was one of my favorite tanks to play, and it is the best bully of mediums and lower tiers. It is pretty fast and maneuverable for a heavy, and the DPM is good enough to smack puny mediums. I agree with the post a bit above, find all the 175 pen tanks, and make them rage.

Finished my grind on this tank today. Thanks to the Bovingtond 2x on every victory special. I started everything stock but gun. Put the trackmodule on to mount the 10,5 and started. Stock this is the pure horror. The only good thing about the elite tank later is the "speed". But stock this tank has nothing to offer. Absolutely nothing. After grinding the track, and enginge it started to make a bit fun. Not a lot, but at least i could stop to throw up.Finally the tank is just a bit slower than IS5 or maybe on par :beard:

This tank is just a relict from the past. Everyone I talked to told me the tank is actually quite good and fun. When I asked them when they played it they all told me 2 years ago etc. And I would agree here. Back in the days against mediums without goldamo or at least less in the air this tank could be fun. It is somekind of heavy medium and to bully some 175pen guns could be fun. But now. Not realy. This tank just get outclassed by everything. The gun is just bad and I started to play it primarily with gold. And even than you will struggle against T9 heavys let alone T10s. And maybe i could get the gun more to work if i would have had more gundepression. But this tank has almost none. 6° on such a huge tank is just bad. Funny though, Tiger 2 gets 8°. Why? Don´t know. WG logic.

This tank doesnt give me anything special to work with. T32 has awesome turret and gundepression, 50-100 clip, IS3 and IS5 troll armor, 110 almost inpenetrateable frontal armor if you hide your lfp. Even Kingtiger gives me something. It is the jack of all trades. I can work with that. But here you get nothing but a bit speed. Not enough for me, because others have almost the same or are even a bit better and have more to offer.

VK A is the definition of medicore at T8 HT.

Yep, happiest moment I had in that tank was selling it.  I felt like I was taking advantage of my platoon mates by bringing such an underwhelming tank.

Is it just me or did the turret traverse feel really, really slow?  It seemed like every time I tried popping out around a corner with auto-aim enabled, it would take at least a second or two for the turret to swing around to where I was aiming.  

The turret traverse is kinda slow I've also noticed, also hindered by the fact it gets knocked out/damaged quite often. The 244 pen of the 10,5 APCR could have a little more pen for those tier 10 games it gets so often, but it is usually enough - It's bloody expensive though, I always cringe when I waste a shot. Hard to stay level on extended sessions grinding in the VKA when every other game is stacked with tier 10's.

Try to toon with other T8s. When i grinded mine I saw rly less T10 battles when i tooned up with other T8s. When I drove alone I saw much more T10s and was just free XP for T10s.

I feel your pain hall0. I used 32k of free EXP to skip the last part of the grind. The first and so far, only tank I have used over 10k free EXP to finish. For such a quick tank (by German standards) the turret traverse was abysmal. Infuriatingly leading to many missed auto aim shots.

The tank is simply power creeped to hell. The armour can only really bully tier 6 and 7, it's poor in same tier and higher. Laughable DPM on both the top 8.8 and 10.5cm guns. Yes it has speed, but what good is that when everything else in tier has the guns and armour too?

Simply a tank that has no other positives apart from the speed. If it didn't lead to such a powerful tier 9 heavy, I would have stopped the grind ages ago.

Hi there,

As an aspirant to average player, here is my two cents:

VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. A is a good tank, but here I think everybody speak about the play style.

It is fast, you can flank even the turret is slow and you can flex. It is second line tank like Tiger II, but really I had in VK vs KT 5% more win ratio, more DPG at the same hit ratio, more blocked DMG, more XP and with 350 more WN8.

Of course this line was second German heavy line for me and my learning curve have influence, but the grind was a pleasure, I finished in 150 battles and the next tier is a beauty. Totally worth it.  

PS. Tell yourself that this tank is bad after you play KV-4 in open maps with 3 arties against.

/have fun

PS. Tell yourself that this tank is bad after you play KV-4 in open maps with 3 arties against.

KV-4 on Malinovka vs 3 Tier 8 arty, my chat looks like this:

"Lol ty RNGesus"

"u shooting him instead of me?"

"lmfao"

"ns, 400-some damage on me"

"good try"

etc.

Not that bad, really, as sidescraping makes most arty not bother and then you can peek as needed. Also, RNGesus shield for baddies like me is OP.

I expected a lot from that tank but meh it just is not as good as I thought

mobility => I rather have a medium

armor => only good against t7 and below

gun => tat penetration against E75s

I rather take the tiger 2

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0