Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guardian54

VK 4502 A... since I didn't find a thread for it in Search

42 posts in this topic

I'm amazed that most people agree with me. My threads questioning balance or why a certain tank is thought of as good typically get an army of flamers.

I swear, anyone who legitimately thinks this thing is good needs to re-examine their sentience, or pull the bias/fanboism out of wherever it's lodged.

I do not know why I am pulling 60% in this tank at 43 games, probably due to liberal use of premium rounds or small sample size, but it bleeds a feeling of being BAD, perhaps even more so than the Caernarvon (which can at least vaguely try to hull down and has OK gun handling).

It ain't great, but it's workable. The key is to understand your armor breakpoints and to bully when you can bully, cower when you can't bully. I finished mine with a 70% WR, just north of 1700 DPG, 2 MoEs (would likely have got to 3), and just shy of 1k XPPG. 

I certainly think the Caern is worse.

It ain't great, but it's workable. The key is to understand your armor breakpoints and to bully when you can bully, cower when you can't bully. I finished mine with a 70% WR, just north of 1700 DPG, 2 MoEs (would likely have got to 3), and just shy of 1k XPPG. 

I certainly think the Caern is worse.

Wow, 1700 DPG and 70%???? But I thought you needed to do at least 1.5x your health per game to get 70%?

EDITED from 2x because I looked at some of my (small sample sizes) vehicles upward of 66% win rates.

Wow, 1700 DPG and 70%???? But I thought you needed to do at least 1.5x your health per game to get 70%?

EDITED from 2x because I looked at some of my (small sample sizes) vehicles upward of 66% win rates.

Depends on the tank, how you use it, and where you do the damage. 

I thought the VK A was pretty decent. It is kinda like a big slow medium. Played it to a ~60% WR at ~1770 dpg.

EDIT: Finished it with the x3 XP thing for the event.

Now I'm playing my IS-3 and wishing it had the VK A's mobility and gun handling, though admittedly bouncing things on the armour and actually penning is nice too.

Edited by Guardian54

Started playing it. Didn't expect much. So far I play it with a brand new crew (90% right now, no skills) and it's surprisingly decent. I think the biggest advantage here is people's perception of the tank. Everyone expects no armor so they aim little at it. That means they often shoot you at crazy angles. For some strange reason I've been getting a high amount of steel walls in mine (not doable in t10 but even in t9 I've had obj704's and conquerors bounce off me and then rage since they assumed they autopen me).

If people actually aimed at it it would probably be a slower FCM with less gun dep and more alpha. That is how i try to play it and I've been getting surprisngly good results with it. It's hard to put crazy DPG in it but the speed means I can flex and influence the battle. 66% after 30 battles. Wonder how much <60 I will stay after I finish the grind. 

The improvements this thing got in the Great German Buffening of 2017 made it significantly more comfortable. Those extra two degrees of gun depression are nice to have. I'm glad the buffs came early in my grind. 

On 3/4/2016 at 1:12 PM, hazzgar said:

For some strange reason I've been getting a high amount of steel walls in mine (not doable in t10 but even in t9 I've had obj704's and conquerors bounce off me and then rage since they assumed they autopen me).

How do you know they are raging?  

3 minutes ago, Griphos said:

How do you know they are raging?  

Presumably because he posted that 7 months or so before the patch that killed cross-team chat and is using "rage" to refer to a speech act. 

Ground this out to complete my heavium collection. The armour feels significantly better than I expected, the gun significantly worse: 244 pen APCR is frustratingly low for this meta, but at least the it handles well. On the whole, IMO the tank might even be a keeper if they ever get around to unfucking Tier 8 MM.

On 27.12.2017 at 2:27 PM, lavawing said:

IMO the tank might even be a keeper if they ever get around to unfucking Tier 8 MM.

I hope you are the patient type of guy, because currently they just want to create as many incentives to play T10 as possible.

P.S.: Purchased it myself today. Gud tenk in terms of a heavium. Decent speed and armor, snapshots like nobody's business. Like it. It's a bit large and the side armor is meh though, plus it could use a few more hitpoints. TL;DR: *what lavawing said*

Plays decently as a bitch medium (and, predictably, I'm getting raged at for,not going, "where the heavies are supposed to go" a lot).  Lack of DPM/alpha limit carry capacity as near as I can tell.  Running almost full APCR right now b/c of Holiday bonus.  rammer/vstab/optics, b/c I find the extra spotting matters more than the most in firepower - doesn't have the armor or alpha to trade, and the gun handling is "good enough."  I think one factor that inhibits this tank is the lack of fear factor - it's got such a dire reputation that everyone bum rushes it.  "Look, there's the weakling, let's all pounce!"  35 games in, 1528 dpg (not incredible, but seems like it's actually pretty decent for this tank), and...wait for it...40% win rate.  Hoping that comes up over time...

This tank is quite nice actually. Feels like a good all around vehicle with great gun handling on the top gun although the gold pen can be a bit lacking at times against higher tiers.

Posted (edited)

On 1/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, DirtyACE7 said:

This tank is quite nice actually. Feels like a good all around vehicle with great gun handling on the top gun although the gold pen can be a bit lacking at times against higher tiers.

Yeah, I'm actually enjoying it.  It has the wonky frontal armor of the Tiger P, with a much better turret, usable gun depression, and better mobility.  Seems to require liberal 2-2 spam, but the gun handling in particular really helps with the kind of corner poke fighting where this tank seems like it shines.  I bounced 2700+ in my last battle by angling my front and keeping the drive wheel hidden.

I know 56th is not much about which to brag, but I very, very rarely break the top 100 for a tank, so indulge me:

2ESt06L.png

Edited by Tanager
added pic

Today the MM was just insane and I kept getting tier 10 matches constantly. This is when this tank really struggles with its 244 pen on the APCR. I had several games in a row where I couldn't even break 1.5k damage as I couldn't pen anything for the life of me. Even trying to flank and hit tanks in the side the pen still let me down big time.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0