Flametz

WoWS General Patch Discussion (currently 0.6.0)

3,878 posts in this topic

Nice start to Clan Battles season 2 for RUST - we went 8-5 and were competitive in most of the losses.  Our first match out of the shoot was against -K- and while we didn't come out on top, we showed fairly well.  We did manage to beat one of the multiple BOTES teams that was out, they managed 57 battles as a clan while we only got through 13, so they had at least 3 teams of 7 running hard and ended up in the same division as -K-, OPG, NADO and 07.  We also got enough oil tonight to expand our clan to 50 members, so we have a few slots open if some of you guys are looking to experience Clan Battles first hand.  Talk to K538 if you are interested.

21 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

fun and engaged, detonates full HP by splash from a Benson 5 inch HE shell

I read somewhere in the next patch or so this is getting fixed, you will have to be on 75% or less HP to trigger the detonate RNG and looks like their taking away HE citadels which I'm sure will piss off all the brain dead RN captains which fire only their 'No skill required' shells

I really hope they hurry up fixing full AP pens on DDs. respecced my Khaba to smoke again and the average damage skyrockets bc the heal just can't keep up with the massive BB AP pen damage you eat.

9 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

I really hope they hurry up fixing full AP pens on DDs. respecced my Khaba to smoke again and the average damage skyrockets bc the heal just can't keep up with the massive BB AP pen damage you eat.

It's got 50mm belt armor and is the size of a cruiser, I'm fine with full pen damage on them considering how broken it is otherwise

1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

It's got 50mm belt armor and is the size of a cruiser, I'm fine with full pen damage on them considering how broken it is otherwise

Except that all DDs face this issue, thanks to a combination of overmatch and consequential penetration of multiple sections at many angles. As is, going broadside to battleships shooting AP at your DD, is the best case scenario to avoid such damage, which in turn only opens you up for a higher potential to be hit in the first place.

23 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Got killed in 4 salvoes by a Missouri yesterday in Khaba... only ever got to 9km from him (close but not suicidal and not for long).

I love the khaba, but if a BB knows how to aim and can actively focus you, you are fucked (50mm armor means you cant give broadside and angling is also extremely risky). Khaba is only good because 90% of the player base can aim for shit. Go play it vs bots... its becomes the worse ship in the game.

Worse case of BB AP on DD's ever experienced was a Missouri (again) one salvoeing my Kidd from 12.5km away....  

Its kinda pathetic that my greatest counter when i play DD's isnt other DD's, cruiser or radar but fucking BB's shooting AP........ so much for the whole rock/paper/scissors.

I know they wont release the Asashio with the 20km deepwater torps, but fuck me sideways I wouldn't play the shit out of that just to farm BB tears, revenge for there broken AP.  

14 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

The Khaba is only "broken" when you cant focus it... 1 v 1 in any tier 10 BB, unless he has god tier fire RNG any decent player should shit on a Khaba. Seriously once you play it, it loses that "its super OP" appeal

Under 12km is a suicidal range to be spotted at when facing a USN BB that knows how to aim against destroyers. My source is a large number of destroyers that have been blapped by my NC, Iowa, and Montana.

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Under 12km is a suicidal range to be spotted at when facing a USN BB that knows how to aim against destroyers. My source is a large number of destroyers that have been blapped by my NC, Iowa, and Montana.

Yep against BB around 12km is magical limit where shell travel time is too short for dd to dodge effectively.

10 hours ago, sahtila said:

Yep against BB around 12km is magical limit where shell travel time is too short for dd to dodge effectively.

just take a moment to think about how ridiculous that is...

4 hours ago, Crossfader said:

just take a moment to think about how ridiculous that is...

You mean because pretty much every single gunboat-destroyer and even torpedo-destroyer needs to be closer than that, to do their job? Nah, totally legit, rock always has beaten both scissors and paper.

Man, I want to fight the DD's you guys are talking about. I'm a returning n00b who is up to tier 5, and I've yet to score any consequential damage against DD's while playing my New York. What is this USN Battleship DD-deleting witchcraft you speak of?

3 hours ago, FavreFan4ever said:

Man, I want to fight the DD's you guys are talking about. I'm a returning n00b who is up to tier 5, and I've yet to score any consequential damage against DD's while playing my New York. What is this USN Battleship DD-deleting witchcraft you speak of?

You've barely played any destroyers yourself (27 matches, 44% winrate, max tier 4) and you've not yet come to the level where torpedo reloads take over a minute, hydros are everywhere, the first battlecruisers and fast BBs appear and ships become more accurate against ever increasing-in-size DDs. Naturally your point of view is skewed, so I'd suggest not to be too judgemental in your choice of words. DDs are great in the lower tiers, but their capabilities do not increase that much beyond their basic parameters when they tier up. Unlike with cruisers and BBs, most DDs are stuck with 10 km firing and torpedo range, detection just doesn't go down much at all either and whether you have 12000 HP or 16000 HP, doesn't matter when the enemy battleship get ever more accurate and deal one third to half your HP worth of damage on a single penetrating hit.

Oh Yeah Destroyer Camo doesn't scale up that well in later tiers, also somehow cruisers and Battleships get stealthier through black magic.

Man how on earth do you guys deal with the power gap between a tier 8 versus 9 and 10. Because the higher tier ships get more deadlier through the introduction of MBM3 or an increased number of guns. I understand why the high tier meta forces concealment, is it the increased engagement ranges force hard cover engagements to limit fire against you.

@Madner Kami So I've been fighting in a different meta so far? Also, if I'm bad at WoWS, I'm really bad at DD's. I'll need to go back and relearn once I get the hang of basic strategy and tactics. Right now I'm still in the "sail to one end of the map and blap stuff" mindset, which frustrates me to no end because I know that I can do better.

Any good youtubers out there for learning the ins and outs of WoWS? I've been watching a few Jingles vids, but most of his replays are of higher tiers and as you've mentioned, it's a different game in some key aspects than the one I'm playing.

You can safely forget about Jingles in terms of teaching the "How to's". He's a great entertainer and commenter (when he actually does put some effort into investigating the details of the subject matter; I really miss his history-videos where he talks about the ships and tanks histories and developments), but he's horrible when it comes to actually observing or conveying why things happen as they do. He frequently misses out on small but important details, but yet I still recommend him simply for the fact, that he puts out a lot of content and people flock to be featured on his videos. Consequentially he has a large pool of good replays to draw from and he does so, usually.

As for actually telling you why things happen as they do, I highly recommend Flamu and Aerron. Personally, I have a preference for the former, but they both are really good at what they do. Their Twitch-channels are more important than their YouTube-channels though. When it comes to carriers and understanding why good carrier-pilots choose to do what they do (and thus you understanding what to avoid doing when a carrier stalks it's prey), then there's no second to Farrazeleth.

14 hours ago, FavreFan4ever said:

NC and up have improved sigma and the dispersion module, which allows you to get some nasty amounts of hits.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:44 AM, LeoAegisMaximus said:

Oh Yeah Destroyer Camo doesn't scale up that well in later tiers, also somehow cruisers and Battleships get stealthier through black magic.

Man how on earth do you guys deal with the power gap between a tier 8 versus 9 and 10. Because the higher tier ships get more deadlier through the introduction of MBM3 or an increased number of guns. I understand why the high tier meta forces concealment, is it the increased engagement ranges force hard cover engagements to limit fire against you.

wait till you get the tier X cruiser railguns... or insane DPM

There is a reason why high tier DD's are both the most rewarding and frustrating ships to play. Make one mistake and it can be game over, but if you play it right its that much more satisfying.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, FavreFan4ever said:

Any good youtubers out there for learning the ins and outs of WoWS? I've been watching a few Jingles vids, but most of his replays are of higher tiers and as you've mentioned, it's a different game in some key aspects than the one I'm playing.

Flamuu has an excellent series of replay analyst, were he critiques other players game, all of them are average and he points out what you should and should not do, check those out (generally from tier 6 to 10)

Also, prepare yourself mentally for tiers 5 & 6, they are the absolute worse, tier 5 especially. They have reverse pref MM, basically -1/+2 and getting downtiered is pretty rare. Tier 6 is also bad, but you tend to get more middle of the pack matches and tier 6's deal better in general with high tiers. 

On 2/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, SoliDeoGloria said:

NC and up have improved sigma and the dispersion module, which allows you to get some nasty amounts of hits.

also, one of the important factors in the full pen damage of the tier 8+ USN BB's is the plunging fire they get, especially the NC. Its means the shells drops down in the DD and have time to fuse instead of passing through it.

Basically everything you learn tiers 5-7 changes when you hit tier 8-10. Probably the most drastic things being accuracy and damage of guns followed by concealment mixed with consumables like radar. A good example is American cruisers where their concealment range is equal to their radar range. Meaning if you outspot them all they have to do is activate radar and if they have a the radar module it gives them roughly a minute of keeping you lit for the enemy team. Obviously if you aren't positioned correctly you just die. Because of this how you approach caps is a little different than at lower tiers. You have to go into it with a mindset of already knowing what you'll do if there is radar or hydro or multiple destroyers on a cap. Which islands can shield you from damage and which can't. Gets pretty tricky at tier 10.

Aigle isn't very good... i really want to like it, but even with an 18 point captain she just isn't very good... playing the Fushun right after makes it feel like a meh tier 5 (Fushun is kinda OP and alot of fun, best reward ship from the DoY marathon)

I hope the other French DD's have better guns, i never thought i would miss the "fast" USN 5" shells with there great flight time.

Finished the Aoba tonight, got her done in 26 games, pretty quick but I was power grinding Free XP when I first got her so running all the XP flags and camos while using Premium time really sped things up. What can I say about her other than she is a good all around ship with frustrating gun range. This ship could really use just 1 more kilometer in range. Torpedo angles suck because is guaranteed death if someone sees you, coming from the USN cruiser line the AA is trash on her, BUT she feels comfortable. Not hard to play but hard to excel in