Evelyn

ISU-122S, the Russian hatchback

79 posts in this topic

ISU-122S is today's special on the EU Christmas calendar

I played one match on my friend's account and finished TD15 (3k damage one) for him. With the extra dpm, depression and handling, this thing is both stronker and comfier than the SU in terms of pure farming, what lets it down is that it cannot full-HP bully 5s and 6s.

I played one match on my friend's account and finished TD15 (3k damage one) for him. With the extra dpm, depression and handling, this thing is both stronker and comfier than the SU in terms of pure farming, what lets it down is that it cannot full-HP bully 5s and 6s.

??? what is full-HP bully?

I have bullied a Tiger 2 in this... hp for hp trade (actually he bounced one for some reason) you can take down a KT pure on DPM

I definitely find this to be a bit of a feast-or-famine tank.  Some of the famine part is my not being particularly good, and some of the feast is luck.  Having said that, I've gone back to firing a bit more HE than I used to, b/c in t9 matches (for me, at least, this thing seems to see an inordinate number of high tier battles, yuck) I struggle to pen, even with sprem.  (Cue the admonition to learn armor layouts better, yeah, I know...)

But the RoF can really help when, for instance, I tag an M41 90 GF square on with one HE shot, and before he's repaired and moving I hit him again and ammo rack him.  I giggled myself silly at that.  Against t9 heavies, I try to set up where I can lob HE at them and basically act as direct fire arty, trying to keep taking out modules/crew.  I also find it useful to setup where I am likely to be able to ambush opposing scouts, but the not-particularly-awesome camo sometimes gets in the way, at least for me.

Mobility seems okay but not great, but I haven't played many Russian TDs (only up through SU-85B).  I do find the gun depression reasonably workable, which was a nice surprise.

But when this thing feasts, it really, really feasts.  At top tier I sometimes just roll right behind my heavies and act as an assault gun, which IMHO is where this thing shines.

This is a fine tank, but it literally has zero advantage over an SU-122-44.