Dukkerz

AMX 30B - Is it good?

93 posts in this topic

I couldn't really find a decent thread discussing the 30B, the only thread I did see was Shrew asking if the tank had any point, and he seemed to have only played it on the test server at that point where it's hard to get a very precise idea of how a tank plays.

On paper, the 30B looks a little worse than the leo in most respects, and I was happy to believe it, as I already have a Leo 1, and I don't want to have to grind out 200,000 XP on the 13 90 just to get a worse leo, but I'm beginning to have doubts that it is worse after a friend of mine (who I respect as a very good player) with over 700 games in the Leo 1 insisted that it's actually better than the Leo. He wrote an article on Reddit about it in which he said this:

I thought (and kind of hoped) it would be worse than the Leopard 1 and I would just keep the good crew in T9 and fill this with some 3 skill crew. I have never been so wrong in all my life. This tank is absolutely gorgeous.

I am very afraid to admit it, but while Leopard 1 was my most favourite tank, I probably found a new one. AMX 30 B is just perfect. While less mobile than the Leo, it has the gun which just handles so well. You are actually able to hit things on the move or snapshotting and that is something the Leo just can't do at the moment. This is the most important thing in this game, I will trade a little bit of mobility for being able to hit things more often when it matters so much.

What I want to know is, does anyone else feel the same way? Does anyone else feel differently? Do I need to spam APCR for another 120 games in the 13 90? How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

Lay off the crack.

I guess you can akin it to a faster M48 that isn't as terribly large.

It's not gonna be like the Fatton at all once the Fatton gets its buffs

How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

ba4mDVY.jpg

I know that as a "meh" player, my opinion isn't that big, but I will say, when I played this on the test server, it felt pretty fun and mobile to me. However, I don't have adequate knowledge to make a comparison to the Leo.

That being said, though, I do think I will go for this far before the Leo, as I am further down the French tree (Tier 8 ) as opposed to the German medium trees (Tier 6/7).

Also, not anything big, but French blue is one of the sexiest colors in game.

Just picked it up today and moved my AMX 30 crew up to it. It's actually really good. Snapshots were the one thing most lacking in the Leo, so I'm quite happy to give up some mobility for almost-American levels of comfort.

I actually didn't like the AMX 30 1er very much because, for my tastes, the gun was a little too derpy for knife fighting. As such, it was more of a damage scavenger than something able to work reasonably well on the front line. The Leo 1 is a bit like that, too. The Fatton, RUmeds, and now the 30B all have the gunhandling to weave shots in reliably while limiting exposure. The Leo and 1er have to expose for a little longer for the aiming circle to draw down, which is a chance for the enemy to return fire.

Great review by eXotic. For all the disappointment that's been expressed about this tank, I actually find it surprisingly good.

I'd want it a lot more if it had 9 degrees of depression like the Leo1. If it did it would be a more fair competition, trading some of the Leo1's mobility and DPM for a bouncy mantlet and a less derpy gun.The depression is the real tie-breaker here that makes the Leo1 far more attractive in my eyes.

Yeah, the gun depression loss is what I think the biggest loss is coming from the Leo. I can understand that the gun handling makes up for the mobility loss, but does the gun handling make up for the mobility, gun depression, large cupola, and ~10mm less pen? I'm not so sure. Not even that, but even if it does make up for it, is it by enough to make the tank considerably better than the Leo, and not just slightly? Because the Leo itself is no star these days, mostly being a shitty STB with improved accuracy for chaisniping. If the 30B isn't considerably better, it's certainly not a good tank.

I personally cant wait to try out the AMX 30B, but it wont be getting my AMX 30p crew with 3.76 skills... probably move in a female crew however. 

I love mine.  The only problem with the tank is that you have an identity crisis.  Everyone knows that the leo1 has to sit and support in the back as if it takes a hit it will lose the ammo rack, so that in a way hinders it and keeps it in its role.........

The only problem with the 30B is that it doesn't lose the ammo rack and it can take hits, but it can't pull STB-1 brawling as well.  I love the tank to no end, but the only thing I think people will struggle with is how to play the tank properly.....

The AMX 30B is the most baskety of all the basket tanks, and since the turret is even longer than the AMX 30's, there's quite a lot of basket. I give it 10/10 for basketness, enough to carry entire team to victory in it.

x4CVgGg.jpg

I have now reached semantic saturation for the word "basket".

As an aside, wouldn't it be great to be able to use the 20mm autocannon? Think of all the BatChat fires.

Leo feels still better, gun depression and better acceleration makes it easier to hande. Leo has enough depression that lot of places you can just drive in and start to peek over ridge, amx30b on the other hand often just lacks little bit to make use of spots. Good example is El Halluf north corner ridges.

Also, I thing Leo gun snapshots better. Even though amx30 has little bit better soft stats, Leo has better aim time which probably compensates and more.

I HAVE QUESTIONS

1) What is the depression?

2) How is the DPM v the Leo? (Actual reloads times get you upboats)

3) How does the tier 9 feel compared to the tier 10? (As in, E50 stronker @ 9 than 10 etc - are we on similar ground here?)

4) How does the DPM/Depression look on the t9?

5) Gun handling - I can see 30b>Leo, but how much? Are we talking RU level or STB?

6) T9 gun handling - Are we talking 7/1 or e50 style handling?

7) How is spotting? Is it 410 standard?

I'm trying to see where these land in gameplay style.

The lack of hugetumour on the 9 makes it seem like it could, for tier, be better than the 30b.

Just how much better does the gun feel on the Leo? Is it American/RU level comfort, or is it just a bit better than a Leo?

Basically, can this medium medium? Or is it like the Leo? Sublime to play, but ultimately limited in a few scenarios? Does it puresnipe/support or can it brawl? I see some posts mention it sacrifices Leo goodness but gunnery but can't STB?

Edit: That reddit article makes me want the t9 for sure.

http://tanks.gg/en/wot/leopard-1#tab:details

1) -8degreees (Leo -9)

2) Leo little bit better but effectively same

3) Tier 9 clearly better, feels like tier 9.5

4) too lazy to check

5) 30b is not > leo (opinions wary of course..). Peoples need to learn lock Leo turret and not wave it around. As Leo has good turret rotation speed, it will also bloom lot if waving it randomly around.

Soft stats: 30b/leo/t62

Aim time(sec) 2.01  1.82  1.92

Turret rotation: 0.06 0.08 0.08

Hull rotation: 0.16 0.18 0.1

Hull traverse 0.16 0.18 0.1

6)  closer to centurion than e50

7) yes

Edited: leo and 30b has ~same turret rotation speed

Edited by sahtila

Why would you be locking your turret on tanks that have some of the lowest turret bloom in the whole game? I get that the Leo turret moves fast, but it's still blooming way less than basically every other tank in the entire game. Saying the Leo in particular needs to lock its turret is silly.

1) -8degreees (Leo -9)

2) Leo little bit better but effectively same

3) Tier 9 clearly better, feels like tier 9.5

4) too lazy to check

5) 30b is not > leo (opinions wary of course..). Peoples need to learn lock Leo turret and not wave it around. As Leo has much better turret rotation speed, it will also bloom lot more if waving it randomly around.

Soft stats: 30b/leo/t62

Aim time(sec) 2.01  1.82  1.92

Turret rotation: 0.06 0.08 0.08

Hull rotation: 0.16 0.18 0.1

Hull traverse 0.16 0.18 0.1

6)  closer to centurion than e50

7) yes

Thanks. At work, so struggle to get full facts.

I think I will grind it, I love beast t9s.

Why would you be locking your turret on tanks that have some of the lowest turret bloom in the whole game? I get that the Leo turret moves fast, but it's still blooming way less than basically every other tank in the entire game. Saying the Leo in particular needs to lock its turret is silly.

Because its still lot of extra bloom for no reason (if shooting multiple times towards same direction). I thing its especially important with leo as it blooms so much when popping up to shoot. Though now to thing about it, its probably because of Leo's bad track values and locking turret just compensates bit for it.

Btw, I havent found amx30b commander cupola to be any problem, very rarely anyone hits it. Small enough target and when popping up to shoot enemies they aim to turret itself anyway. Mantlet is pretty troll, seems to bounce t10 meds pretty often. Nice advantage for 30b. But not reliable anyway still.

Thanks. At work, so struggle to get full facts.

I think I will grind it, I love beast t9s.

Come toon on it, fun incoming !

Anyone know how much I need for 2nd or even 3rd Mark?

apperantly 3620 (Damage) + 990 (assistance) = total 4610 is not enough

30b rekts a leo. 

The tanks are identical in most aspects. Its just as mobile, same dpm, same pen, traverse, same a lot of things. But the biggest differences are:

1: its gun actually hits shit unlike the leo

2: it doesnt get ammo racked every fucking hit you take

3: its turret is semi reliable so you can peek a boom better like the stb. 

Its just flat out better. With the leos lack of armor you would think it would have E50m gun handling but no, it gets crap aim time and crap accuracy, but you get all this with the 30b.

2: it doesnt get ammo racked every fucking hit you take

And in turn I suppose that means you can run food instead of a second repair kit, bringing the actual DPM up higher than the Leo1's.

I was very skeptical about this tank but I decided to go for it anyway since I like playing the CDC as a crew trainer and I've already trained up a female loader for it alongside my female BatChat crew. Also I just like French tanks.

I just got this thing 2 days ago. I really like it so I don't know if it's just me or the tank but I've been doing pretty terribly in it currently. 68% sub 3k DPG (getting rekt in it basically). 

With that being said the cupola is not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. The tank is pretty paper though. The gun is hands down a lot better than the Leopards as it doesn't miss random shit. Snap shots are nice and common. 

I see tons of people say how good the 30 is. What makes it so good compared to the leo pta? I hate the PTA myself, IMO its a scavenger that cant hold its own vs anything. It is so team dependant its crazy. At least with the Leo1 it has DPM to scare away T8`s that have more DPM than the PTA. PTA just has nothing its great at except padsniping. So when I hear guys rave about the T9 amx I wonder why. Is its DPM better? How bout gun handling, I think PTA aimtime and bloom suck for a -6 soft tank.

I just got this thing 2 days ago. I really like it so I don't know if it's just me or the tank but I've been doing pretty terribly in it currently. 68% sub 3k DPG (getting rekt in it basically). 

With that being said the cupola is not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. The tank is pretty paper though. The gun is hands down a lot better than the Leopards as it doesn't miss random shit. Snap shots are nice and common. 

Also I havent got my Leo1 yet. Is it really that derpy? People talk often about how derpy its gun is. Is it actually Derpy like STB where even aimed in or at 90% aimed in it misses? Or does it just have huge bloom?

Also do certain tanks get more penalized for not being 100% locked in than others? It seems like STB for instance is all over the place when not fully zoomed in much more than other tanks, where as the 140 is a laser with 70% aimed in and up. Does the accuracy penalty stack higher on some tanks?

I see tons of people say how good the 30 is. What makes it so good compared to the leo pta? I hate the PTA myself, IMO its a scavenger that cant hold its own vs anything. It is so team dependant its crazy. At least with the Leo1 it has DPM to scare away T8`s that have more DPM than the PTA. PTA just has nothing its great at except padsniping. So when I hear guys rave about the T9 amx I wonder why. Is its DPM better? How bout gun handling, I think PTA aimtime and bloom suck for a -6 soft tank.

Also I havent got my Leo1 yet. Is it really that derpy? People talk often about how derpy its gun is. Is it actually Derpy like STB where even aimed in or at 90% aimed in it misses? Or does it just have huge bloom?

Also do certain tanks get more penalized for not being 100% locked in than others? It seems like STB for instance is all over the place when not fully zoomed in much more than other tanks, where as the 140 is a laser with 70% aimed in and up. Does the accuracy penalty stack higher on some tanks?

It's derpy in the sense that the bloom is big enough that it kind of means the aim time isn't as good in practice as it is on paper. Personally I've also had shots that were fully aimed in miss a lot more on the Leopard.