Dukkerz

AMX 30B - Is it good?

99 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2017 at 7:31 PM, Madner Kami said:

If Armoured Warfare did one thing right, it was the aiming system. Assuming you aimed in, your shot would land where it was aimed at. The gun's accuracy and stabilization should mostly be a factor only for unaimed shots on the move. This would have worked perfectly with the WoT of old, where tanks had weakspots, even if their armor was tough otherwise. I really miss the times, when knowing weakspots actually made much more of a difference, unlike nowadays 2-2.

Several accuracy nerfs and now every shot is lottery. And this hurts most precise tanks, because you dont expect to hit stuff with derps. But when you miss with <0.3 :wut:

So is there an overal verdict? I know the m48 is better but I have the 30P and Im no where near the patton.

Ye, is it good now?

I bought the t9 back to test the changes and so far i'm liking it.

If the 30b is really a decent tank now, I will sell the 30p and get it (only 1 fr med crew, and Fuck getting another crew to 4 skills).

I think the 301er is still better tier for tier than the 30B. 248 pen is simply more competitive at tier 9 than tier 10.

6 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

Ye, is it good now?

IMO it has the pre 9.20 French TD syndrome: a tank with weaknesses that directly contradict its strengths.

It has:

-good top speed (countered by sluggish acceleration and poor turning radius)

-High dpm and 390 alpha (countered by low pen and a combination of poor accuracy and slow shell velocity)

-little usable armor (despite the turret buff)

So you have the choice of playing a paper med in close where your dpm can (potentially) be used, or sniping from afar and bouncing/missing most of your shots. They should've left the tank alone, IMO. The dpm is almost useless and there are few situations in which the tank truly shines.

@SmyleeRage was absolutely killing it in this thing on stream yesterday (4,384 average damage over 47 games). The raw DPM looked ridiculous. The drawbacks that @FavreFan4ever listed are probably necessary for some balance when in the hands of top players. The penetration and shell velocity are not a big deal when well positioned. Also, easily permatracking people with 390 alpha is just sick. 

5 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

The 9 is the gem of the line though!

That seems to often be the case for mediums (e.g. E50, M46, Skoda, T-10). It's not that the tier 10 is bad; tier 9 is just pref MM without the shit guns and power gap of a tier 8 pref. 

@monjardin Glad to hear that it's probably operator error on my part. I think I play a little too aggressively (which is weird considering I play a lot of French tanks).

Thanks for the feedback, I'll get the t10 back once I get home tomorrow and test it. And if I don't like it I will go back to the t9.

On 16.09.2017 at 7:50 PM, WhatTheSkara said:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll get the t10 back once I get home tomorrow and test it. And if I don't like it I will go back to the t9.

Please do. I only have 2 T10 meds on my current acc (BC and CAX) so I'd really like something viable for cancer ranked and other modes. 

5 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Please do. I only have 2 T10 meds on my current acc (BC and CAX) so I'd really like something viable for cancer ranked and other modes. 

Dpm is dank, turret is still shit. It's a faster stb that already has improved vstab on it.

2 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

Dpm is dank, turret is still shit. It's a faster stb that already has improved vstab on it.

Is the pen and less dep noticeable and make it less comfy vs stb (which isn't comfy). Also shit as in worse than STB?

With the changes to this tank in respects to accuracy and shell velocity, is it worth to drop optics for vents to squeeze out as much dpm as possible and partially negate the accuracy nerf?

1 hour ago, FavreFan4ever said:

With the changes to this tank in respects to accuracy and shell velocity, is it worth to drop optics for vents to squeeze out as much dpm as possible and partially negate the accuracy nerf?

Yes, imo. Especially because it has 410 base VR. With a decent crew, you can already have "max" VR without optics. With vents, Recon, SA, and BiA, you're at 448 VR. Add Food, and you're at 465m - more than enough. Not only that, but vents makes the final accuracy of the aiming circle a little bit smaller, allowing you to hit more shots from range, which is very important for the 30B because it doesn't have as good of armor as other high dpm meds, generally meaning your preferred engagement range is farther away.

From what i can tell vision abuse in general peaks at around tier 6 and slowly declines in usefulness as you go up the tiers. Hence getting vents on there in place of optics probably makes sense. That being said i still run a lot of optics for the sake of it... that and the mod i was using shows a non capped VR circle and so burning thru a few extra metres of camo was only one of the benefits of optics.

4 hours ago, Ezz said:

From what i can tell vision abuse in general peaks at around tier 6 and slowly declines in usefulness as you go up the tiers. Hence getting vents on there in place of optics probably makes sense. That being said i still run a lot of optics for the sake of it... that and the mod i was using shows a non capped VR circle and so burning thru a few extra metres of camo was only one of the benefits of optics.

Optics still make sense for 3marking since sometimes you get spots over tanks with less vr. 

4 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Optics still make sense for 3marking since sometimes you get spots over tanks with less vr. 

Since I'm not at the point of being talented enough to 3-mark anything, I'll probably drop for vents in the next few days. Thanks to all for your feedback and advice!

Just got this thing and so far I totally think it's worth it. This is my 2nd game ever with 90% crew (except commander) - seems like a better Leo, with insane DPM, great accuracy and no real downsides that i can see so far!

EQ: rammer, vents, stab

New-ish Crew: BIA, camo, 6th, snapshot and repair on 2 of them. 

Interesting early views. Some seem different to what the stats sites are saying eg accuracy and shell velocity which should be the same. But beyond that, were you using vents  +food on the 30 1er?  As I guess that could influence things.

What gets me is the combination of derpy accuracy, low-ish pen, and sluggish shell velocity. All the dmp in the world is useless unless you can hit/pen your targets, and this thing just needs to get too close to the enemy (for a squishy med) to do so reliably.

I'll admit to performing really poorly in mine, so much of what I say is likely due to operator error, but I much preferred this tank before the rebalance.

15 hours ago, FavreFan4ever said:

What gets me is the combination of derpy accuracy, low-ish pen, and sluggish shell velocity. All the dmp in the world is useless unless you can hit/pen your targets, and this thing just needs to get too close to the enemy (for a squishy med) to do so reliably.

I'll admit to performing really poorly in mine, so much of what I say is likely due to operator error, but I much preferred this tank before the rebalance.

Shell speed is the biggest problem. Derpy accuracy would still work given that most shells still land center. All it needs is 20mm extra heat pen and previous shell speed to be competitive.

7 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Shell speed is the biggest problem. Derpy accuracy would still work given that most shells still land center. All it needs is 20mm extra heat pen and previous shell speed to be competitive.

I'd be happy with even just having the previous shell speed. At least you'd miss aggressively, which is more than you can say for the current gun.

Trash penetration on both standard and premium shells ruined this tank for me. I don't like to spam gold to begin with but even when you need to... HEAT gets something like 40% chance to pen UFP of 430U... Standard shells struggle to reliably pen lower plates of tanks like e100 and is7.