Sgt. Pepper

Tiger 2 - the harder and slower Tiger 1

120 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Felicius said:

Sure. Put Caern in a mix for arty to snack something...

Shit tanks are considered shit for a reason. Yes, there are worse ones...but not that many.

KT is definitely not a shit tank.  I get that some don't care for the lack of alpha, but the mobility is workable, the armor is workable (it tends to troll IS-6es, for one) and the gun is excellent.  I mean, give my KT a RoF buff if you want, but it's a good pubstomper.

This tank has serious problems with the current powercreep. I understand that many dislike the Caernarvon but I can make it work much better than this thing. In Tiger 2 I feel that I am having average games all the time. The tank doens´t excel in anything has massive weak lower plate butter turret and is huge in all dimensions. It also takes engine and ammorack damage from the derp guns and is sluggish. The gun is good but the chassis seems indifferent unlike fore example Caernarvon that has a hulldown niche. This tank needs a buff.. VK4502A is much better now imo.

22 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

This tank has serious problems with the current powercreep. I understand that many dislike the Caernarvon but I can make it work much better than this thing. In Tiger 2 I feel that I am having average games all the time. The tank doens´t excel in anything has massive weak lower plate butter turret and is huge in all dimensions. It also takes engine and ammorack damage from the derp guns and is sluggish. The gun is good but the chassis seems indifferent unlike fore example Caernarvon that has a hulldown niche. This tank needs a buff.. VK4502A is much better now imo.

Caern better than tiger 2?

Blasphemy!

14762.jpg

Caernarvon levels of ammoracks and dmg from derps (and arty) is hard to attain.

before the arty nerf 80 mm of side armor at least protected from full pens most of the time, while 50 mm was full pen very often.

KT turret is not good, true...but it s gun compensates for that with alpha, accuracy, and penetration. It even has more hp.

The Tiger 2 is very much unplayable before 9.18. With SPG threat reduced much now, at least there are few workable locations that allow baiting other to kill me. Very often people so eager to kill me and got them exposed and killed. It was giving me shity DPG and WN8 still.

Tier for tier, IMHO the KT is a definite upgrade from the Tiger.  You go from a boxy turreted TD to an actual heavy tank.  Yes, the LFP is a weakspot, and you have to repair your engine multiple times a game, but it's a reasonably good sidescraper.  YOu can protect the turret by angling after firing and rocking, and the gun is absolutely excellent.  The only better one at this tier is the one on the Loewe, perhaps.  100% crew and vents will give you .29 dispersion, so you can consistently use that great pen at range (unlike e.g. the Defender or Lorr).  You can bait shots into your sides when brawling, and anging actually brings some benefit, unlike in the Tiger, where it feels to me as if no amount of angling is sufficient to help.

It's somewhat slow and inflexible, but if you plan your engagements correctly, it's still a pretty capable tank.

Reminiscing for a moment here. Back when I grinded through the Tiger II, I just used the 88/L71 for the entirety of the grind. The 105mm Tiger II was trying too hard to be a Löwe, without getting any of the advantages the Löwe had in trade for the relatively low DPM. I always think I should go back and rebuy the tank for Randoms and SH, as I enjoyed driving it. Then I am in a SH or Random in pretty much any T8 tank and wonder, how 203 or ~237mm penetration were ever enough to get a 55% winrate in it.

16 hours ago, Tanager said:

Tier for tier, IMHO the KT is a definite upgrade from the Tiger. 

I, for one, still think that the Tiger H is a complete pubstomper that can shred pretty much anything to pieces.

Hell, in a straight-up DPM fight, Tiger H beats KT, hands down. KT only has 100 HP bonus over the Tiger H, go figure.

KT can be brought to a reasonable level by 2 simple buffs:

1) 42/45mm of turret roof armor (anything to stop those bloody rusky 122mm guns from overmatching)

2) RoF buff so its DPM is on par with Tiger H

On 9/24/2017 at 0:40 PM, Fedaykin89 said:

I, for one, still think that the Tiger H is a complete pubstomper that can shred pretty much anything to pieces.

Hell, in a straight-up DPM fight, Tiger H beats KT, hands down. KT only has 100 HP bonus over the Tiger H, go figure.

KT can be brought to a reasonable level by 2 simple buffs:

1) 42/45mm of turret roof armor (anything to stop those bloody rusky 122mm guns from overmatching)

2) RoF buff so its DPM is on par with Tiger H

Both have better DPM than the IS3, Loewe, and T32...so...?

I think the playstyle is vastly different between the two - I don't think the DPM is that important, b/c IMHO it's more about the reliable pen/handling which makes poking/corner fighting actually doable in the KT.  You can sidescrape far more reliably in the KT than in the Tiger H (including tier-for-tier).

The relatively weak turret is IMHO the biggest issue with the KT.  Your point about the turret roof is the one that, to me, holds the most water.

13 hours ago, Tanager said:

Both have better DPM than the IS3, Loewe, and T32...so...?

I think the playstyle is vastly different between the two - I don't think the DPM is that important, b/c IMHO it's more about the reliable pen/handling which makes poking/corner fighting actually doable in the KT.  You can sidescrape far more reliably in the KT than in the Tiger H (including tier-for-tier).

The relatively weak turret is IMHO the biggest issue with the KT.  Your point about the turret roof is the one that, to me, holds the most water.

Tiger 2 has less than 100 DPM advantage over the IS3 (1925 vs 1834) , while completely lacking the 390 alpha or the turret armor of the T32; also, Lowe is notorious for its low DPM, but its high pen, better accuracy and much better (current) armor than Tiger 2 makes it considerably better in today's meta.

Also, reminder that Tiger H has base 2.241 DPM - that sort of value would allow the Tiger 2 to chew through enemy hit points much faster and actually be a proper support tank, which is anyhow slowed down by useless armor.

15 hours ago, Fedaykin89 said:

Tiger 2 has less than 100 DPM advantage over the IS3 (1925 vs 1834) , while completely lacking the 390 alpha or the turret armor of the T32; also, Lowe is notorious for its low DPM, but its high pen, better accuracy

Look, most of your arguments are valid - having said that, not to pick a nit, but...the KT has better accuracy and handling than the Loewe.  It's probably one of the very, very few advantages it sports over the Loewe.  I'm just saying, I don't know that a DPM buff is what the KT is missing.  To me it feels more like the butter turret and surprisingly easily damaged ammo racks (I expect to lose my engine in anything German) are the bigger issues.  I'm guessing the ammo racks are at least partially in the sides of the turret, so if you fixed the turret armor, the ammo rack issues would go away as well.

Just two-marked this.  It is, I will say, not a particularly enjoyable tank to play, and unless you are top tier, and the other side really misplays, the carry capability of this tank feels really, really low.  So maybe it needs a DPM buff after all...

On 8/22/2015 at 1:36 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

Well, you know, I took the equipment and crew off the KT a good while ago and moved them over to the E 75 because I was really really impatient to get the E 75 going.  It hasn't been a winning machine for me, really.  About the same DPG as my M103, but 47% WR compared to the M103's 54%, despite the E 75 being platooned considerably more often.  In short, I've been missing my KT a lot, in part since my other two regular 8s are the T32 and Pershing, both of which are usually expensive tanks for me to run, while the KT was a credit-maker, plus just having good AP pen is fun.

Then I saw this thread:

View PostNecrolegion, on Aug 18 2015 - 15:41, said:

So this weekend happened, I was swimming in silver, went to the tech tree and saw this beautiful E-75 all alone in the corner. I bought it some equipment pieces and consumables, one thing led to another and I ended up bringing the E-75 over to my place and you know what happened next....

I unloaded the crew from my Tiger II onto the E-75

As you can see from my siggy, the E-75 is my first step into tier 9 territory. I now have this empty Tiger II with no crew. Should I sell it and pretend that affair never happened, or keep it as my side b****? I have a disposable B2 crew laying around. Should I transfer them to the Tiger II? What do I do?!

Thanks

And I got dem feels.  Sentimental about a pixeltank?  Yeah, that's me in spades.  I'm not a tank-selling kinda guy, really.

My response, slightly amended :

View PostFlorbFnarb, on Aug 18 2015 - 21:58, said:

Well, if you're me, you start out thinking you're trading up when you get an E 75.  Same sexy curves angles as the KT, except the E 75 has even more up front, you know?  I mean, she's really stacked, the kind of tank where you wanna show her off in town and make your buddies envious.  When you first hook up, it's easy-peasy, and once the relationship progresses to the elite stage, you definitely have a couple crazy, wild, break the bed MM kinda nights, where afterward you just sit back in awe of your own studliness, thinking "Man, I really aced her good.  I aced her so #$&%ing hard, probably harder than anybody has ever aced her before."  And for a while you just have fun playing with those big ol' glacis plates, you know?  Cuz let's admit it: the E 75 has a really massive pair of glacis plates.

But eventually, you end up realizing there's more to a tank than just the size of her glacis plates.  I mean, don't get me wrong, here: big is good, and the E 75's glacis plates are both large and pleasantly shaped.  But still...you notice that you're giving miss E 75 your best efforts, but you aren't getting that much in return.  Just getting her, ummmm...into action, so to speak, is a slow, laborious process, and even once you get her going, you find that she isn't always the amazing ride rumor makes her out to be.  A few crazy nights later, you realize that she just isn't that satisfying. Yeah, sometimes you had those wild, crazy nights where it was one awesome match after another, she was taking everything you gave her, until you woke the neighbors with your cries of YEAH!  OH YEAH!  OH GOD YES JUST LIKE THAT as you blap one enemy after another, until the match ends and you finally hit the sack and turn the light out, spent and slightly exhausted from the effort.  Unfortunately, those nights are very rare.  More common are the nights where you go the extra mile, put out all that effort and attention to getting her oh so slowly into action...and then armor or not, you get four-shot, and after only getting two shots off.  Sixty seconds after actual contact and you're done, spent, finished, your load shot, leaving you frustrated, a little angry and a lot embarrassed, and when she says "it happens to every tanker sometimes" she somehow makes you feel even worse about it.  You could just exit the match and play another battle, but somehow you find yourself turning in early, suspecting that it wouldn't be worth the effort.  Your evenings together start ending like this more frequently.  What's worse, the E75 is an expensive date, and to top it off, the whole thing is becoming embarrassing enough you don't dare double-date platoon with friends anymore; she's embarrassed you in front of your friends far too many times.

Then you start thinking about the good ol' KT.  KaTie, or Brunhilde the Valkyrie as you called her.  No, she didn't give you those ace matches...but neither did she embarrass you in front of your friends.  When you were ready for action, she would actually get up and go, like the only place she wanted to be was in the fight with you.  As soon as the countdown ended, she was moving, practically purring in your ear, "I'm ready to do this with you all night long."  Ace matches or not, she was a fun ride, she moved just right, and she knew exactly where you wanted her shots to go.  You ended a night with KaTie exhausted but satisfied

Poor KaTie that you left alone in the garage, with no crew or equipment; how badly you treated her when you got all hot in the pants for the E 75.  I mean, she didn't expect you to be hers exclusively; nobody does that in WoT.  But stripping her of her crew and equipment to give to the E 75?  Real classy, man.  It isn't as though she's the 3601; the 3601 got slow and fat for some reason, yet you didn't see fit to move her crew and equipment.

So you feel kinda sad, and more than a little guilty at how shabbily you treated a classy lady like KaTie.  She never let you down, and yet you ran off after a tank with a bigger pair of glacis plates.  Honesty, although KaTie isn't quite as generously endowed up front millimeter-wise as the E 75, she still has the same sexy angles - maybe even better, depending on taste.  So what was it you were after?  Honestly, you have a hard time remembering.

But in the end...KaTie is still in your garage.  Bereft of equipment and crew, but still there, waiting patiently.  She holds no grudges, and never judges.  She knows you're currently having a fling with that Russian IS-3, or Natasha as you think of her, although KaTie just calls her "The Black Widow".  KaTie knows your little black book still holds the phone number of that petite little junior college tank, T1na Cunningham, and she doesn't mind at all (although she does hope you checked her ID first, for goodness' sake.)  She knows you drop by and see all three of the Pershing Sisters (Regular Pershing, Super Pershing and T32 Ultra-Pershing) fairly often.  Hell, she knows you still drop by and see her own country cousin, the Tiger I, and she doesn't mind.  (You call her Helga for fun. Yeah, she's a little flat in front, but she knows how to move, and she likes to go out in a field somewhere and just do it out in the open.  Remember those lazy Sunday afternoons you and Helga would find a nice sunny hilltop on Redshire or Westfield and DPM each other's brains out?  Yeah, so does she.)

KaTie doesn't care.  Save up for some equipment and a crew, or just take them from the 3601.  Hell, buy KaTie some nice, slinky camo, take her out for a night on the town (or in the country; she's flexible like that) and show her a good time.  Maybe peel off that utilitarian old AFE (KaTie's too young for hot flashes anyway) and give her a bite of Chocolate; you know that stuff really gets her going.

Make her your Brunhilde liebchen again.  You know you want to.

So yeah, now I'm basically grinding credits to put some equipment back on ol KaTie, move a crew in, give her some sexxeh camo, and take my Brunhilde liebchen for a ride.

:tank:

Also, just to be clear: comparisons to the IS-3 are absurd and pointless.  Of course the Tiger 2 doesn't measure up to the IS-3.  Nothing in the tier does, really, not the T32 that has always impressed me, not the Pershing, not the Type 59, not the IS-6 that is so beloved (even by me) and not even (I feel ashamed to admit) the damned Super Pershing.  The IS-3 is just undeniably over-fucking-powered to a ridiculous degree.  I never really thought it was when I was facing them - I never found it too hard to pen unless it was hull-down, and I knew which of my tanks could tank its shots under what circumstances, which could flank it successfully, etc. and so forth.

Then I got one myself, and saw the truth.  I only have a relative handful of matches in it, but the thing is just ridiculous.  It's got just about everything - armor, pen, alpha, workable accuracy, good gun handling, and excellent mobility for a heavy tank.  The view range is poor and the DPM is weak, but not nearly enough to be a serious limitation.  The only serious downside is the gun depression.  You have to be extremely careful, because even the gentlest slope might be more than your depression can handle - nothing else means much.

So yeah, don't bother with the "It's not as good as the IS-3" argument.  Nothing in the tier is as good as the IS-3.

Man, I really used to spend too much time thinking about this game.

damn this tank got hit hard by time,  I wonder if a tiger buff along the lines of increasing dpm and buffing turret armor along with a slab of more hit points is gonna give this new life.

This just begs the question if its only the guns on the German heavy tank line that makes them fit their tiers why not drop them down a tier. I think i remember them testing stock tanks one tier lower than their tech tree counterparts. 

29 minutes ago, LeoAegisMaximus said:

damn this tank got hit hard by time,  I wonder if a tiger buff along the lines of increasing dpm and buffing turret armor along with a slab of more hit points is gonna give this new life.

This just begs the question if its only the guns on the German heavy tank line that makes them fit their tiers why not drop them down a tier. I think i remember them testing stock tanks one tier lower than their tech tree counterparts. 

Check Tiger 131. Works beautifully in it's tier. Check VK 4503. Works beautifully in it's tier (even though it's DPM is a bit meager). And it's not just the heavy tanks. Check polish Panther, VK 3002M and VK 3001P. Fuck, you could argue that dropping the Steyr Waffenträger and the Kanonenjagdpanzer 90 a tier each, would've been the easiest way out. Imagine a Panther II on tier 7 and an E50 on Tier 8! The heavy part of them being heavy mediums could actually come into play, unlike now, where the Panthers just have no reason to exist!

5 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

Check Tiger 131. Works beautifully in it's tier. Check VK 4503. Works beautifully in it's tier (even though it's DPM is a bit meager). And it's not just the heavy tanks. Check polish Panther, VK 3002M and VK 3001P. Fuck, you could argue that dropping the Steyr Waffenträger and the Kanonenjagdpanzer 90 a tier each, would've been the easiest way out. Imagine a Panther II on tier 7 and an E50 on Tier 8! The heavy part of them being heavy mediums could actually come into play, unlike now, where the Panthers just have no reason to exist!

Tier 8 E50 sounds a bit excessive, as would T8 E75. I imagine OTOH that both the PII and TII would be admirably suited for tier 7, with some sort of gas turbine upgrade for tier 8 making them fast with high DPM, before moving onto the E-series.

5 hours ago, lavawing said:

Tier 8 E50 sounds a bit excessive, as would T8 E75.

Well, T9 is at about where things become "right" in the german techtree, but imagine that: Drop the Tigers and Panthers by a tier each, introduce E50 as a combined step of both lines at Tier 8*, split the line at Tier 9 into E-75 (heavy) and an E-50 Modernized prototype (for lack of a better descriptor of a new medium). Both Tigers and Panthers technically occupy a very similar niche in the game, except one offers more armor and less mobility, while the other offers still strong, but weaker armor and better mobility. One line is, relatively speaking, a medium heavy (Tigers) and the other is a heavy medium (Panthers), though both can't really execute that role because they are just one tier up too far (Tiger and Panther armor is almost meaningless in relation to their tier). The E-50 really is the logical follow-up to both and keep in mind, we're really talking about the chassis here, not the guns. Those can stay at the tier they are at, the chassis however, not so much.

* I know, I know, switching between classes is frowned upon. If this irks you, then let's introduce a "heavy" E-50 and a "light" E-50. The former gets a strengthened Tiger II/E-75 turret with the long 105mm gun. The later gets a modified Panther/E-50 turret with the long or longest 88. Adjust weight of guns and turrets accordingly (and apply some ground resistance magic if necessary), to get their mobility more into line with their class.

P.S.: I'm willing to bet, that both Tigers and Panthers are where they are in the techtree, because they were placed there during a phase, where there were no ahistorical gun-upgrades.

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

P.S.: I'm willing to bet, that both Tigers and Panthers are where they are in the techtree, because they were placed there during a phase, where there were no ahistorical gun-upgrades.

They were placed there when the only T10 tanks were Maus, T30 and IS-7; when the Panthers only had to compete with the T-43/T-44/T20/Pershing, Tigers against IS/IS-3/T29/T32; when gold rounds were rare because they costed actual gold; way before the pen and alpha creep. I probably missed a few tanks here and there, but you get the gist.

Just imagine KT having workable armor because you didn't have high pen rounds being flung at you willy nilly, the only big things you have to worry about is hiding your lower front and angling. Your gun had enough pen to deal with almost anything you face frontally and actually followed the "German sniper" stereotype. Time has not treated the KT well, it wasn't bad back then but was still manageable, but now it's just flat out bad compared to everything else.

Tfw I played the KT back when its only real competition was the IS-3 (no one really played murricans in early launch on EU) and most people didn't have the big gun. Bouncing their shitty 175 pen and slicing though their frontal armor like a hot knife through butter was the stuff of dreams. Elevation also mattered in terms of protecting your weak-ass turret 'cause you could facetank and angle against most guns.

I never really understood why they didn't buff the KT a little bit to enter some sort of useful niche. It's in this sort of marginally useful position, where a ton of other tanks have taken its penning power and done its armor better.

Like Haswell mentioned, the KT is a relic of better days. WG needs to buff some of the Germans but I suspect WG sold their souls to the ghost of Stalin, who refuses to relive the traumas of the past and screams CYKA and NJET whenever someone as much as hints at the wehrmacht or anything west of Poland.

11 hours ago, LeoAegisMaximus said:

10 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

10 hours ago, lavawing said:

Tier 8 E50 sounds a bit excessive, as would T8 E75. I imagine OTOH that both the PII and TII would be admirably suited for tier 7, with some sort of gas turbine upgrade for tier 8 making them fast with high DPM, before moving onto the E-series.

5 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Well, T9 is at about where things become "right" in the german techtree, but imagine that: Drop the Tigers and Panthers by a tier each, introduce E50 as a combined step of both lines at Tier 8*, split the line at Tier 9 into E-75 (heavy) and an E-50 Modernized prototype (for lack of a better descriptor of a new medium). Both Tigers and Panthers technically occupy a very similar niche in the game, except one offers more armor and less mobility, while the other offers still strong, but weaker armor and better mobility. One line is, relatively speaking, a medium heavy (Tigers) and the other is a heavy medium (Panthers), though both can't really execute that role because they are just one tier up too far (Tiger and Panther armor is almost meaningless in relation to their tier). The E-50 really is the logical follow-up to both and keep in mind, we're really talking about the chassis here, not the guns. Those can stay at the tier they are at, the chassis however, not so much.

* I know, I know, switching between classes is frowned upon. If this irks you, then let's introduce a "heavy" E-50 and a "light" E-50. The former gets a strengthened Tiger II/E-75 turret with the long 105mm gun. The later gets a modified Panther/E-50 turret with the long or longest 88. Adjust weight of guns and turrets accordingly (and apply some ground resistance magic if necessary), to get their mobility more into line with their class.

3 hours ago, Haswell said:

They were placed there when the only T10 tanks were Maus, T30 and IS-7; when the Panthers only had to compete with the T-43/T-44/T20/Pershing, Tigers against IS/IS-3/T29/T32; when gold rounds were rare because they costed actual gold; way before the pen and alpha creep. I probably missed a few tanks here and there, but you get the gist.

Just imagine KT having workable armor because you didn't have high pen rounds being flung at you willy nilly, the only big things you have to worry about is hiding your lower front and angling. Your gun had enough pen to deal with almost anything you face frontally and actually followed the "German sniper" stereotype. Time has not treated the KT well, it wasn't bad back then but was still manageable, but now it's just flat out bad compared to everything else.

2 hours ago, Zinn said:

Tfw I played the KT back when its only real competition was the IS-3 (no one really played murricans in early launch on EU) and most people didn't have the big gun. Bouncing their shitty 175 pen and slicing though their frontal armor like a hot knife through butter was the stuff of dreams. Elevation also mattered in terms of protecting your weak-ass turret 'cause you could facetank and angle against most guns.

I never really understood why they didn't buff the KT a little bit to enter some sort of useful niche. It's in this sort of marginally useful position, where a ton of other tanks have taken its penning power and done its armor better.

Like Haswell mentioned, the KT is a relic of better days. WG needs to buff some of the Germans but I suspect WG sold their souls to the ghost of Stalin, who refuses to relive the traumas of the past and screams CYKA and NJET whenever someone as much as hints at the wehrmacht or anything west of Poland.

The KT dropped down a tier would have to handle like a pig even if it lost the 105mm guns and had to use the long 88.  It would have solid armor for Tier 7, plus a good gun, so having any sort of mobility would break the thing.  Same for dropping the Tiger to Tier 6; it would become one of the best-armored Tier 6 tanks, better armored than an M6 (which has similar frontal armor but weaker side armor, and probably better than anything but the Jumbo and the O-I; the Brit Tier 6 TD has too many weak spots in its armor to be considered well-armored at anything but extreme range.

And then, if you drop the top gun and some HP and drop it a tier...you've got a 3601, basically, and nobody drives a 3601 anymore except to get to the Tiger I, so I don't see the point.  I'd rather see the KT get a DPM and turret armor buff than see it dropped a tier.

Now, I can see the Panther being dropped to Tier 6 if it lost the top gun and probably the Schmalturm, and restrict it to its historical gun, making it a sluggish but decently armored medium with an accurate gun.

A Tier 8 E 75 would have to lose its top gun for sure, and would have to be almost crippled in mobility, or else it would just be unbeatable.

Also, since when did the IS-3 have 175mm pen?

It has 175 pen when it has everything that isn't the BL-9, as noted in my post about few people having the top gun in early launch. IMO, Tiger II is fine at its tier, it just needs some buffs to get a real role again. A bit more armor and maybe some RoF increases but I can't say much about the gun since I haven't played the KT in years, I just know its armor has been garbage since 2011 or something. Given that most German tanks have been in the same state for half a decade, I doubt the ghost of Stalin would start allowing buffs any time soon.