Mort

Is the Maus underrated?

91 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: I am not here to claim that the Maus is a good tier 10. It's not. However, there are certain situations in which it is absolutely OP. As in completely impenetrable.

First, here's what a Maus looks like when it's been properly angled:

Fnyfm6F.png

Where do you think you could pen that? The first obvious choice is the lower glacis. Every yellow/green player knows that the lower glacis is where you should shoot all tanks:

n3OOro5.png

Well... That's gonna be hard to pen. To be fair, tier 10 TDs slinging gold will probably pen that fairly often. The 183's AP will pen that shot about 50% of the time. Everything else, however, will have a lot of difficulty going through that. Think you can pen it with your MT's HEAT? Think again. You're not going to have any normalization, so that's effectively 355mm of armour right there.

Where else can you shoot it? Maybe the turret cheek. Everyone with a brain knows that the turret cheeks are super weak on the Maus:

FYLdwyp.png

Hey, that's only effectively 325mm of armour! That's not much, right? It's still gonna be a bitch to pen it with HEAT though. Once again, if you're in a tier 10 and you're firing gold, you might be able to pen it.

Well, maybe the turret is just over-angled. Maybe we can pen the side of the turret:

Ne7qjtz.png

nope

Well, the UFP isn't all that strong... Maybe that would work???

4OgypDy.png

Didn't think so.

Side armour?

kERaZjB.png

srsly no

okay, well, there is one small spot on the side of the turret that can be penned:

p4mQ92d.png

Granted, it's effectively 316mm against APCR, but that's not impossible to pen for tier 10s by any means. The only problem is that it's a very small target and it's not an intuitive place to shoot at all.

Through my research, I found that there is ONE (!!!) place that is under 300mm of effective armour at this angle:

r8jNmlP.png

8tWjIVP.png

Once again, it's not an intuitive place to shoot. It's not thin either, but it is pennable by tier 10s. You have to shoot that spot about halfway up too, otherwise you're hitting spaced armour which makes it impossible to pen. It's a small target so it's easy to miss.

Like I said, I'm not here to claim that the Maus is good. I'm saying it's underrated. It can brawl in Ensk or Stalingrad like nothing else. Even wide out in the open, enemies are going to find it extremely hard to pen you. The Maus has two attributes: Armour and HP. Almost everything else about it is well below average...... Although its view range is decent.

I don't know much about the upcoming tier 9 Mauschen, but if it has roughly the same armour as the Maus, it will be completely broken at tier 9. It does have a large cupola, but IIRC that's going to be like 200mm thick.

I've never played the Maus, mind you. If I did, maybe I would learn to hate it. Nevertheless, I am a firm believer that armour is underrated. Most pubbies don't shoot gold, and even if they did, they'd still have massive amounts of trouble against the Maus.

I want to know what you folks think: Is it actually decent, or am I just out of my mind and is it actually a pile of dogshite?

Problem with that tank is just it lacks dimensions to fit in most maps properly, other than that its always fun to run 2 Maus + 1 E100 or 1 Maus and 2 E100 around, why not all E100 you may ask, cause for some reason the Maus in the plat works in a strange psychological manner that affect how pubbies play and often its a lolzy moments of victory.

I played it on someone else's account and actually it was pretty fun. However it still is big and slow. And most good players know how to deal with it (rip Havok).

The Maus is ok but the Mauschen will be shit. It'll literally just be a shittier T95. Like, my hulldown Jagdtiger 88 eats an E75 through its cupola, and that's smaller, I think it'll be able to deal with the Mauschen.

RELATED:

NEVAR 4GET http://imgur.com/a/hkAdV

Ummm....

(pic)

Get shrekt.

Works for anything that's not HEAT, but then again, a maus is perfectly angled to only one target at a time.

Ummm....

Get shrekt.

Can that one even be hidden against the person you're actively sidescraping against? I've seen some Maus try it but that spot always seems to be open for the dickpunch.

Ummm....

ZrNhCLR.jpg

Get shrekt.

I looked at it again in Tank Inspector. Yeah, that spot can be penned, but it's inconsistent af. You can shoot it one place and it'll be 242mm, and you shoot it a millimeter to the right and it'll be 300mm. 

Works for anything that's not HEAT, but then again, a maus is perfectly angled to only one target at a time.

I think it works for high pen HEAT also. I just might be thing I always meet bad Maus drivers, they never angle perfectly.

Also, angled turret may be tough, but if you intend to win you must shoot at stuff. That means you have to point the gun towards the target at one point, and that target can pen you with relative ease.

EDIT: @Mort - that spot tracks Maus also. So if you fail to pen you track him, making him unable to angle against other tanks.

No, I mean that specific shot, HEAT will get eaten by those tracks easily.

HEAT works okay against lower plate and turret cheeks, but beefier APCR will work all the time (ehehehe E3)

It's the absolute worst heavy tank in the game..............but when it comes to pushing a flank, NOTHING does it better than the Maus.  That is ALL it has going for it

It's the absolute worst heavy tank in the game..............but when it comes to pushing a flank, NOTHING does it better than the Maus.  That is ALL it has going for it

When you put it that way, the maus looks like it has a lot going for it.

The only problem is that its too slow to get to a flank in time to push it.

Its not terribad, but it is borderline poor. I'd rather be in a Maus than, say, a FV4005. It's just that there are very few situations where I'd rather be in a Maus than an E-100 or IS-4. In many situations the Maus isn't really any harder to deal with than an IS-4, it just happens to have 500 more HP.

Really it all depends on your opponents. Okay T10 TD players will give you a run for your money, good players in anything with HEAT will make you feel horrid. It really feels bad when you start to realize your Maus is less effective at tanking shots than another tank might be just because that one purple T-62A is HEATing your angled turret 24/7.

Pure armor isn't enough. The Maus needs more firepower to be a threat. Since the upcoming Mauschen has a 150mm gun, I don't see why the tier 10 Maus itself can't have that option. The 128mm L/61 would be nice too and would differentiate it from the E100.

If the Maus gets a JT-esque 128mm I might get it, but I doubt it because "historical accuracy." It definitely won't get a 15cm because of that.

If anything, the 128mm on the Maus should get a RoF buff.

Pure armor isn't enough. The Maus needs more firepower to be a threat. Since the upcoming Mauschen has a 150mm gun, I don't see why the tier 10 Maus itself can't have that option. The 128mm L/61 would be nice too and would differentiate it from the E100.

A 150mm with horrid dispersion and no gold ammo (yeah just ~230mm pen AP).

Have fun fighting an E-75.

Speaking of the L/61 i remember when CN server devs were fucking around a bit and gave the Maus that gun as its top option for a week or so.

0.38 accuracy 2.7 sec aimtime, not-bad dispersion (probably due to slowness though... think TOG II*), ~13 second reload with rammer and vents.

Was hilarious seeing those things just roll around and out-DPM/out-trading IS-7 and said IS-7 players wondering WTF is going on. Also, applying APCR through the turret cheek of said IS-7 = glorious.

Kinda wish WG had a 560 alpha heavy though... even if it means finding a Maus design that could fit the L/61 and/or L/66 128mm. A gap of 260 alpha dmg between IS-7 and E-100 is a bit... awkward in my eyes when it comes to options for "brutalizer" T10 tanks (minus TDs)

If anything, the 128mm on the Maus should get a RoF buff.

That works too. It's just silly how the E100 with the 128mm currently gets a higher rate of fire when it already has a significant mobility advantage.

A 150mm with horrid dispersion and no gold ammo (yeah just ~230mm pen AP).

Have fun fighting an E-75.

Unlike the Mauschen the Maus is at the same tier as the E100, so it would have gold ammo if the 150mm was an option.