Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLWiz

How to M6 like a non-Tomato? (help request)

21 posts in this topic

I finally got into the M6 and have it fully upgraded. I have vents and a rammer in it and I usually fill the empty slot with binocs. I carry sm repair kit, sm first aid and manual fire ext mapper to space bar.  Any tank specific hints for equipment or for tactics suited to the M6 armor mobility gun layout? I only have a few games in it so far and I'm not impressing myself (and I have low standards)  Thanks for any advice to point me in the right direction.  This should be a decent tank but so far I am basically food (although the 90 just got mounted).

I can give a few thoughts although I'm far from an expert in any tank. I do well enough in the M6 that it's my American heavy crew trainer. 220 games, 59% w/r, 1500 WN8 and the vast majority of those games are without sixth sense or even a full first skill crew because I steal people out of it regularly.

First: the 90mm absolutely changes this tank. You should immediately notice an increase in your contribution to games. It really is a game changer.

Anyway, the turret armor is decent and the side armor is decent. Having said that your greatest advantage, particularly as bottom tier, is the turret size (relatively small) and depression (very workable). Find a hill to work with and only poke out to shoot then fall back exposing nothing of your hull and as little of your turret as possible.

Try to avoid getting shot at all. The mobility of the tank allows you to work it like a heavy medium. Take advantage of it.

You can sidescrape a bit but I wouldn't ever try to scrape off a higher tier tank for long. If you have some help behind and can delay for a few seconds, fine, give it a shot. But it's not really a viable option for long term encounters imo.

The lower front hull can be extremely trolly to people because they train themselves to shoot LFP on most tanks. The M6 is rounded down there and the UFP is well sloped so you'll actually get quite a few bounces (from same/lower tier and some higher mediums) just because they can't really figure out where to aim.

But again, try not to count on the armor.

It's a poor front line tank unless top tier, and even then, you have to know the guns you're facing. Try to find a shorter, heavier tank and use them to cover your lower hull, EVEN if it means not being first to the front line. Use your pubbies as a tool. In this case as a chastity belt blocking your tender bits from being touched inappropriately.

Don't be afraid to relocate. Do not treat this like a traditional heavy unless you have to.

Let the 90 sing. It's a beautiful song.

tl;dr: find hills, hide everything, poke and shoot, try not to go anywhere alone, use a shorter/tougher tank (or corpse) to hide your junk.

In adition to what Thuper said, i would swap the binos for toolbox, you can eat some shots with your tracks, also if you somebody off guard try get a juicy ram. Seriously, this one and the T1 heavy are some of the best rammers at that tiers thanks to speed and weight. And keep some APCR, with it you can easily front pen tier 8s.

Gun is amazing. Speed is capped but it goes 35 like all the time.

Armor is pretty much shit.

So use that good gun to support and abuse terrain(limit exposure).

The US 90mm is one of the best guns of the game from tier 6-8.  With the M6, you get a higher(!) DPM than the Hellcat, a turret that will actually turn, and pretty good gun handling.

As top tier, the M6 is generally a second line heavy.  Support a KV-85 in a push.  Use your DPM to protect a KV-2 on reload.  Mid-game, roll over low HP heavies that you can trade 2 for 1 with for a kill. You can very easily bully lower tier tanks.  Also be on the lookout for people that reflexively focus on your lower plate - the LFP on the M6 is quite decent and will bounce a fair bit.

As middle tier, tank composition is very important. The tier 7 heavies can have enormous HP and alpha advantages, so you don't want to be the one getting shot.  Depending on the map layout and team composition you might play a second line heavy, or you might use the decent mobility and depression of the M6 to play it like a very fat medium tank.  The gold round will autoaim through almost any tank at tier 7.

At tier 8, you will generally want to play a support role. Your armor won't count for anything, but the Hellcat was always viable, and you have more DPM and survivability than the Hellcat.  

Use terrain, crap in the ground - anything to minimize your exposure. But keep in mind that if you're going to poke, it's better to expose your lower plate to low penetration guns. Just watch out if they're aiming up higher where your armor is flat.

I played the M6 as a newbie and liked it a lot. I found it required some finesse that russian tanks would not, but sometimes being the least threatening tank in a group is a very helpful thing - a lesson I really learned playing the T25/2.

Don't forget to ram tanks, this thing weighs 60 tons and accelerates faster than some mediums, I've finished off a many of tanks by ramming them or them ramming me

As many people have already stated, the 90mm really changes the tank. With a good crew, a rammer, vents, and maybe a GLD, the gun handling on this tank was super comfortable in my experience. I found that the longer reload of the 90mm gives you enough time to pull back behind cover/terrain/better-armored teammates between shots and let the enemy's focus drift elsewhere so you can pop back out to blap them for another 240 average alpha. It should also be mentioned you still have decent mobility for heavy, which you can use to flex and open up another line of fire on the enemy flank (thinking of the town in Fisherman's Bay, Ensk, Lakeville, etc.). I'd say the M6 is one of the better tanks at mid tier to learn the support heavy role in.

Also, be careful while sidescraping. Your turret is trollish but not particularly hard, and the enemy can always hit your flat shoulders, which are around 80mm (a weak spot similar to the German Porsche chassis).

Additionally, be mindful of artillery. You're huge, you have a gigantic, thinly-armored engine deck, and your reverse speed is horrendous. Many a game have I been one-shot from full HP by artillery.

I don't have enough +1s to give out but I do appreciate the advice very much. You guys rock.

Also, you can circlejerk some slow TDs or heavies in order to get an extra shot or 2 in. This is not recommended, but thanks to your huge engine you can if there is no other option.

Wont go into repeating the things that are already said. It's a great tank with a great gun. Loved thrashing KV1S's in the period I played it.

But remove those binocs, they are pretty much useless. If you are standing still long enough to spot things with binocs your M6, something is clearly wrong. Keep moving, poking and even flanking. You are mobile enough. Get a GLD to help with doing dmg, optics for a bit more viewrange at all times or a toolbox as been said above to help with repairs. All are better than binocs.

Enjoy your M6! :thumbup:

Best advice here is the toolbox over binocs...all the other advice is good as well... it's a decent tank and still it is probably the low point of this US heavy line... (Don't get me wrong it's a very nice tank but I would rate all other tanks in the line higher).

Best advice here is the toolbox over binocs...all the other advice is good as well... it's a decent tank and still it is probably the low point of this US heavy line... (Don't get me wrong it's a very nice tank but I would rate all other tanks in the line higher).

So if I keep the vents and rammer and there is an equipment sale this weekend, what is the best choice for the third slot for an active pushing player?  GLD, Optics, just use my Toolbox? I have swapped the Binocs for the toolbox since those are sitting in depot for use.  The tank is very good and I hope to be a semi-worthy M6 driver eventually - the advice here is helping.

If you are active, then personally I would buy the GLD, so you can aim your shots better. Better shots, better dmg, better games. But you could haul the toolbox around for a bit untill you have a crew with good repair skills.

the turret is weak...

get penned by 76mm guns in the mantlet  :tongue:  :tongue:

Rammer vents GLD.

M6 is the best tank in its tier IMO.

Rammer vents GLD.

Bromwell.

Rammer vents GLD.

Even though I love it and has a permanent spot my garage but I wouldn't call it the best in t6, I would say it's one of the most fun tanks and very easy to do good in because people seem to ignore it, it reminds me of the T67, people ignore that TD and then they get shredded

I had a IS2 ignore me last night and I was able to get around him and plant 90mm love seeds up his butt with sub 7sec reload times

I love my Bromwell, T-34-85, Rudy, and Jumbo...but nothing is likely to ever take the M6's place in my soul.

I tried to play it stock, it sucked and was covered in dust for 20 days. Since M6 is now a tank in the line that gets "Top of the line" goodies, i spent some free xp on turret and the 90 mm gun, got the top engine from T1 by doing x2/x3/x5. Played around 40 games in it (30 after spending free xp) and this tank is excellent.

After those 40 games, WR is around 66%, DPG 1000+, WN8 ~2170, so i can say that i figured how to play this thing, stats would be better if i could exclude those first 10 games in it.

It is like a slower, heavier Hellcat, and even shoots faster than Hellcat and has the same depresion, has OP APCR rounds that can actually pen everything you can face if there's a need for that and most of the time 160 pen of regular ammo does the trick.

Armor is existant but don't relly on it unless you have no choice and if there's an arty in the game, 85% of the time it will be shooting at you since you're sure shot, so relocate a lot, hell, at least move back and forth, just dont stay still if you're spotted or you'll ger 'recked.

It's a frontline Hellcat, good at support and flanking but not so good at first rows, i had to learn that through the harder way :P

Yeah, second line. If you can find a spot where you can do a vertical peekaboom - pulling up, just barely exposing the turret, snapshotting, then backing down - you can wreck the enemy. The gun ensures that nothing you face can safely ignore you and plan on tanking your shot - and if they try, slamming APCR into them will change their mind. Even if a hull-down T32 turns his turret and shows his side, the APCR can pen.

The engine ensures you can climb hills faster than a lot of mediums - in a BT8 match on Malinovka, load gold, be the first up the hill, slam a round or two into whoever enemy shows up first, and you can delay them until your IS-3s and T32s and whatnot arrive to take over - and then you're a hell of a support gun.

Don't get shot though. The armor will stop some same-tier fire but not much, and nothing from higher tier tanks. It's really just there to prevent lower tier tanks from whittling you down very easily; the armor is powerful on the T1 against most 4s and 5s, but most 6es won't bounce a lot.

I resonate with pretty much everything everyone else said so far in this post. Listen to them.

*Now for irrelevant stuff rambling*

While I'm not fantastic with the M6, I do love it and it loves me. It's the tank I've been able to get my mark of Excellence in, in literaly no time. Guess I'm naturally attuned to it.

Currently 75% done with my first set of crew skills and I run Rammer, Gun Laying Drive and Vents.

127 games. WN8 of 1008 on it, and my second highest average XP out of all my tanks. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0