Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

255 posts in this topic

I just want a way to make money that isn't dependent on good enemy spawns in high RES's. I suppose if I did a CG a week or so i'd make plenty. The crappy spawns in HRS's are screwing over a friend of mine who just started, one run we made 1.5m, the next we couldnt get anything larger than an asp. extremely frustrating. 

4 hours ago, skyf24 said:

I just want a way to make money that isn't dependent on good enemy spawns in high RES's. I suppose if I did a CG a week or so i'd make plenty. The crappy spawns in HRS's are screwing over a friend of mine who just started, one run we made 1.5m, the next we couldnt get anything larger than an asp. extremely frustrating. 

Mate, you already have 260 million credits and a Conda. I think you can slow down :-)

but, but, but!

lol, fair enough. is nice to have the giant buffer though. bought and a rated a viper mk iv, seems like a mini python to me. has 26 tons of cargo, along with full armament, and a 20ly jump range with no engineering. way easier to use if im just running data missions to rank up with some factions.

14 hours ago, skyf24 said:

If nobody else is on the res site, you can reset spawns by leaving and getting into it again, it's kinda random what you'll get and res sites can get cleared if many players are hunting in it, which will reduce spawns for a few days.

Do keep an eye on CGs, they can be very rewarding, like 20-25M for only top 25% sometimes. And you can still go to Sothis and the like, just do a good haul every few days or so instead of doing it over and over until you're a burned out billionaire.

fucks sake. lost my anaconda twice tonight. feels like the system security is utterly useless unless they're trying to kill you because you started firing half a second before the scan finished.

So, what's the state of this game nowadays?  Kinda contemplating picking it up.

59 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Ehhh. Wait for it to go on sale. It's a great game (I have over 900 hours in it), but a lot of it is the same repetitve tasks with very few ways do anything other than take HQ screenshots of your ship in front of things. That said, on sale it is an absolute steal along with the Horizons expansion pack. Getting good at the PVE combat is an amazing thrill that IMO was well worth the price alone. I wouldn't buy it at full price though, or if you do at least wait for the expansion pack to go on sale cause it adds a lot as well. 

TL;DR: Wait for a sale on at least one part of it. Base game has plenty to entertain you but the whole thing isn't worth 60$ IMO.

On 11/4/2018 at 5:27 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

New patch will be dropping soon with enhancements to mining, exploration and other things. If you're intersted in combat I'd honestly say: don't bother. In general TTK is long enough for anyone with half a brain to evade, except plenty of folks can't even manage that because the game's full of carebears and gitting gud is practically unheard of. No NPC is remotely challenging except Thargoids, which are practically invulnerable to anything except a dedicated 'Goid-hunting setup that makes you useless for anything else. HOTAS manages to be inferior to KB&M, and if you thought Wargaming were a bunch of dribbling incompetents who've never heard of balance or fun you'll despair at FDev.

If I were to sum up the retardation as briefly as possible it would be this: Powerplay is a mechanic whereby you declare allegiance to one of several completely interchangeable talking heads and complete tasks to boost the galactic influence of your faction and oppose others, and it's possible to do from the safety and comfort of single player.

I actually managed to get the game for free.  I asked around the Elite Dangerous official subreddit and said I was considering getting the game, and a guy who already had the game said he had also won a copy, with the add-on, in some sort of competition, but that none of his friends were interested.  He gave me the codes for free and they worked.

So far it seems like a lot of fun, although I'm still at the point where I make some rookie mistakes:

1. About 25% of the time I overshoot my approach in FSD and have to loop around to wherever I was going.
  2. Twice now I've actually hit the boost button instead of dropping my landing gear - I'm using an Xbox controller, and boost is mapped to B, and landing gear to B + down.  Both times I slammed into the station for minor damage.
  3. I have a knack for coming into an outdoors landing pad exactly backwards the appropriate direction.
  4. Docking control has no patience for getting through the airlock.  Two or three times I've flown through without incident at about 20-25, and they've bitched at me.
3 hours ago, woe2you said:

New patch will be dropping soon with enhancements to mining, exploration and other things. If you're intersted in combat I'd honestly say: don't bother. In general TTK is long enough for anyone with half a brain to evade, except plenty of folks can't even manage that because the game's full of carebears and gitting gud is practically unheard of. No NPC is remotely challenging except Thargoids, which are practically invulnerable to anything except a dedicated 'Goid-hunting setup that makes you useless for anything else. HOTAS manages to be inferior to KB&M, and if you thought Wargaming were a bunch of dribbling incompetents who've never heard of balance or fun you'll despair at FDev.

If I were to sum up the retardation as briefly as possible it would be this: Powerplay is a mechanic whereby you declare allegiance to one of several completely interchangeable talking heads and complete tasks to boost the galactic influence of your faction and oppose others, and it's possible to do from the safety and comfort of single player.

1. Apparently the official sub will ban you just for calling anybody a carebear or telling them to git gud.  Also, there are people who actually play open but bitch about piracy.

2. I'm using an Xbox controller, but I have a HOTAS in storage that's probably fifteen years old.  One of the earlier USB flight sticks IIRC, but it seems to have all the modern bells and whistles, with a separate throttle, hat on the joystick, and several buttons.  Quite sturdy too.   I'll have to give it a try and see whether I like it better than the controller.  Keyboard and mouse would just feel weird.

3. As for combat, I'm starting out as a courier/trader/smuggler, but I figured on picking  up some bounties too.

4. ED seems like the Star Wars game that will never be made, because all they want to make are (1) SW RPGs, or (2) Battlefront style games.  After X-Wing, then Tie Fighter, then X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter, they've  diligently ignored the spaceflight genre altogether for some reason.

1 hour ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I actually managed to get the game for free.  I asked around the Elite Dangerous official subreddit and said I was considering getting the game, and a guy who already had the game said he had also won a copy, with the add-on, in some sort of competition, but that none of his friends were interested.  He gave me the codes for free and they worked.

So far it seems like a lot of fun, although I'm still at the point where I make some rookie mistakes:

1. About 25% of the time I overshoot my approach in FSD and have to loop around to wherever I was going.
  2. Twice now I've actually hit the boost button instead of dropping my landing gear - I'm using an Xbox controller, and boost is mapped to B, and landing gear to B + down.  Both times I slammed into the station for minor damage.
  3. I have a knack for coming into an outdoors landing pad exactly backwards the appropriate direction.
  4. Docking control has no patience for getting through the airlock.  Two or three times I've flown through without incident at about 20-25, and they've bitched at me.

1. Apparently the official sub will ban you just for calling anybody a carebear or telling them to git gud.  Also, there are people who actually play open but bitch about piracy.

2. I'm using an Xbox controller, but I have a HOTAS in storage that's probably fifteen years old.  One of the earlier USB flight sticks IIRC, but it seems to have all the modern bells and whistles, with a separate throttle, hat on the joystick, and several buttons.  Quite sturdy too.   I'll have to give it a try and see whether I like it better than the controller.  Keyboard and mouse would just feel weird.

3. As for combat, I'm starting out as a courier/trader/smuggler, but I figured on picking  up some bounties too.

4. ED seems like the Star Wars game that will never be made, because all they want to make are (1) SW RPGs, or (2) Battlefront style games.  After X-Wing, then Tie Fighter, then X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter, they've  diligently ignored the spaceflight genre altogether for some reason.

Definitely remap those controls, that's a very easy mistake to make.

The cunning trick to never overshooting: when you're 7 seconds out, throttle back into the middle of the blue zone.

Get a Cobra ASAP. Most versatile small-pad ship in the game, fantastic for smuggling and lightning fast.

EDDB is a lifesaver, you can find trade loops, systems selling ships and modules, basically whatever you want. Speaking of which, buy your ships and modules in systems Controlled or Exploited by Li Yong-Rui for an insane 15% discount which also applies to their rebuy value. Remember the golden rule: never fly without rebuy (5% of the total cost of your ship in the bank).

Bet your stick is a Thrustmaster HOTAS X. I have one, I can give you a copy of my keybinds when I get home. It's much more immersive even if mouseaim is technically superior.

Speaking of immersive, I hear it's balls to the wall insane in VR. I don't have a set myself but I have the next best thing (headtracking) which is pretty good.

Shit, for free is an amazing deal :D

Those are all common beginners mistakes, once you get the hang of things you'll be good to go. Docking control yells at you no matter what you do TBH. I wish theyd get extra mad at you if yo boost out at 500+ in an Imperial Cutter though. 

This site is really good for figuring out costs and planning ship builds: https://coriolis.io/

Woe is spot on with his Cobra recommendation. I have most of the ships in the game, still use the Cobra here and there though. Generally use 0y Corvette or Anaconda for combat but if i'm just messing about farming missions for materials the Cobra is perfect. 

3 hours ago, woe2you said:

Definitely remap those controls, that's a very easy mistake to make.

The cunning trick to never overshooting: when you're 7 seconds out, throttle back into the middle of the blue zone.

Get a Cobra ASAP. Most versatile small-pad ship in the game, fantastic for smuggling and lightning fast.

EDDB is a lifesaver, you can find trade loops, systems selling ships and modules, basically whatever you want. Speaking of which, buy your ships and modules in systems Controlled or Exploited by Li Yong-Rui for an insane 15% discount which also applies to their rebuy value. Remember the golden rule: never fly without rebuy (5% of the total cost of your ship in the bank).

Bet your stick is a Thrustmaster HOTAS X. I have one, I can give you a copy of my keybinds when I get home. It's much more immersive even if mouseaim is technically superior.

Speaking of immersive, I hear it's balls to the wall insane in VR. I don't have a set myself but I have the next best thing (headtracking) which is pretty good.

1. Yeah, I'm gonna have to figure something out to remap them.  Right now I'm just being really careful, and basically making a point of dropping my landing gear before I make the turn for final approach, while I'm not actually pointed at anything.

2. I'll have to try that bit at 7 seconds out.  Just overshot again tonight.  Not a big deal, but it's annoying as hell if it puts me on the opposite side of a large station.  You'd think they could have made those bitches open at both ends as much traffic as they get.

3. I'll have to look into a Cobra.  I'm coming up on half a million credits, so I'm starting to think about what I want to do for the next ship.

4. I think my flight stick is one of these deals:  https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Digital-Throttle-Stick-Windows/dp/B00005TOTG  Different color blue on the housing, though, and it's old as hell.

5. Yeah, people have been telling me that VR is the way to go.  I really have held off considering getting an Oculus Rift, considering the price, but fuck it - I saw a couple videos of a guy looking around and using voice commands, and frankly that's pretty damn awesome.   Looks like the Rift is down to around $350 or so, so I'm gonna have to consider picking one up early next year.  I need to see if the Best Buy around here is still doing demos.

3 hours ago, skyf24 said:

Shit, for free is an amazing deal :D

Those are all common beginners mistakes, once you get the hang of things you'll be good to go. Docking control yells at you no matter what you do TBH. I wish theyd get extra mad at you if yo boost out at 500+ in an Imperial Cutter though. 

This site is really good for figuring out costs and planning ship builds: https://coriolis.io/

Woe is spot on with his Cobra recommendation. I have most of the ships in the game, still use the Cobra here and there though. Generally use 0y Corvette or Anaconda for combat but if i'm just messing about farming missions for materials the Cobra is perfect. 

It's gotten to where Docking Control gets pissy with me about every other time I leave any station where you're actually parked inside.  I'm going straight out the exit anywhere from 25-45, and they still tell me I'm in an unauthorized area, for like half a second.

Probably too close to another landing pad, they're very particular like that. 

https://s.orbis.zone/vgm 

Barebones Cobra setup, cause the game doesn't explain shit by way of which modules to use. 

If you wanted to wing up sometime i'd be happy to go bounty hunting or even drop you some cargo to sell. Same name as on here if you wanna add me.

12 hours ago, skyf24 said:

Probably too close to another landing pad, they're very particular like that. 

https://s.orbis.zone/vgm 

Barebones Cobra setup, cause the game doesn't explain shit by way of which modules to use. 

If you wanted to wing up sometime i'd be happy to go bounty hunting or even drop you some cargo to sell. Same name as on here if you wanna add me.

Will do.

Docking Control actually gives me a trespassing warning as I’m  exiting the station, though, not as I fly over a different docking spot.

8 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Will do.

Docking Control actually gives me a trespassing warning as I’m  exiting the station, though, not as I fly over a different docking spot.

They will yell at you if you fly to close to a docking pad as you're leaving as well. I'm not sure how loitering ended up being a crime punishable by death, but that's Frontier.

What have you been doing gameplay wise? Running missions, bounty hunting, trading, etc.

54 minutes ago, skyf24 said:

They will yell at you if you fly to close to a docking pad as you're leaving as well. I'm not sure how loitering ended up being a crime punishable by death, but that's Frontier.

What have you been doing gameplay wise? Running missions, bounty hunting, trading, etc.

Almost totally courier missions.  I'm still in the starting Sidewinder, although I got very tired of the puny jump range and upgraded the power plant and FSD.

Oh, by the way, if you have a mission going to Ehrlich orbital at system LFT 1421, be prepared for a very long in-system flight, probably over 1 million light-seconds.  I literally hit over 1,100c on that trip, probably hit 1,200.  Insanity.

xWB8Y6Y.jpg

Don't accept a mission to Hutton Orbital unless you have some time to spare. I don't remember how far it is but it is about an hour and twenty minutes or so in supercruise.

Should you ever run out of fuel look up the Fuel Rats BTW. It's a player group who specialize in rescuing commander's who ran out of fuel.

Sidewinder is passable as a first ship. Nothing fancy of course, but it's capable of most anything you want it to do. It won't do it exceedingly well, but good enough for you to see if you wanna go in that direction or not. 

10 hours ago, skyf24 said:

Don't accept a mission to Hutton Orbital unless you have some time to spare. I don't remember how far it is but it is about an hour and twenty minutes or so in supercruise.

Should you ever run out of fuel look up the Fuel Rats BTW. It's a player group who specialize in rescuing commander's who ran out of fuel.

Sidewinder is passable as a first ship. Nothing fancy of course, but it's capable of most anything you want it to do. It won't do it exceedingly well, but good enough for you to see if you wanna go in that direction or not. 

Yeah.  I have the money to buy a Cobra Mk III, but I'm gonna hold off just a bit to try some combat first - I've only had one actual combat in the Sidewinder when some NPC pirate tried to get my cargo, but it was for a mission so I couldn't give in.  Gonna try some mining and exploration too, but maybe that'll have to wait for bigger ships.

Also yeah, I've heard of the Fuel Rats, but I have no idea how to contact them.  Is there a way in-game, or do I have to send a message to them by internet or something?

https://fuelrats.com/

Click on get help and it walks you through what to do. 

Cobra is a straight up improvement over the Sidewinder. It'll be a lot better in combat because it has 2 medium and 2 small hardpoints, while the sidewinder has just the latter. Cobra is also really good at mining. If you want to go exploring get a Diamondback or an Asp Explorer. Asp is what i prefer but the Diamondback is cheaper and just as viable. 

2 hours ago, woe2you said:

Feel free to add me too, same nick (that's the reason I use it for every game I play).

Will do. My name in the game is Hal Quartermain.  Sounded like a good pulp SF name.  I usually just use FlorbFnarb these days too, but I figured I’d do this one differently.

I have to say, @skyf24 absolutely crushes Elite Dangerous.  He took his big-ass ship - corvette I think? - out to do some bounty hunting with me and carried my ass to a few million credits.  Looks like killing pirates is more lucrative than running courier missions.  :trump:

That corvette is a beast.  I don’t know how he manages to put fixed guns on a ship that size and still hit targets, but he does.  He was popping FDLs without breaking a sweat.  Also, so many people ran chaff that I see the downside to gimballed weapons now.  I’ll have to try mounting fixed guns and using more lateral thrust to strafe around targets and maintain better separation.

My Cobra is a sweet ship now too.