OneSlopoke

The purpose of keeping stats and how we use them.

16 posts in this topic

I have my own reasons for using stats. I use them to improve my game.

When I play a pub match, I take a look at the teams to decide who to support and who to 'go after.'

I've noticed that a lot of players do something similar and they determine actual play attributes based on WR or WN8. For example, 'a player with a 45WR can't lead moving targets.' 'A player with 43WR doesn't understand situational awareness.' Of course, I've seen many others. Is there already an official list here on wotlabs?

I'd like to refine this idea by compiling a list of skills/or lack thereof that are associated with each of the stat levels.

BTW, my stats suck so bad, I probably shouldn't be allowed to login to wotlabs. But you can look at my data and describe my attributes as a player as a starting point.

Thanks for any info.

Slopoke

You cannot pinpoint a complete lack of any particular skill like that. The worse the player the higher the chance of failure at whatever they do, regardless of whether it's leading targets, scouting, angling, reflexes, etc.

Stats are indeed helpful to gauge a players skill, but I use it more as a "who should I watch out for" instead of "who should I go for" kind of thing.  I kind of go more along the lines of a tank line up.

If you load into a match, and you see an enemy team full of heavy tanks on like Ruinberg per say, you need to know that "hey, there is a 99% fucking chance that town is going to get the D shoved in".  You plan and react accordingly, bing bang boom you can win a match.  If I actually went targeting people who were the most dangerous on the team, I would be a blue recent player.....because lets fucking face it I suck even as purple recent.  But yet I'm pulling high win rates and wn8 these days because I look and focus on tank line up instead of blatant stat targeting.

Remember.  Even that 45 wn8 player can get lucky and completely shit on you.

Also, who the fuck cares about stats.  You have every right to be here :) this is a learning place.

Hey there, u said u take stats to improve ur play, but ur recents stats are lower than ur overall stats.  First of as a 57% I still dont have map/sit. awareness  :doge:

That fact sorted out, ppl with below 50% arent working for/with their team enough or spend to much time doing nothing. Thats a thing you have to learn, u always want to do smth to keep your gun firing and your enemies dying, no matter if its actually dmg or at passive spotting. The worst you can do is driving into the middle of an open map.. wait the worst you can do is annoying other players by blocking them on purpose 'I was here first, this is my spot even if I leave for 5 mins, ur wn8 is too low to use this spot' <- said by a 1800 wn8 shitlord.

I think you cant make a perfect list for a player to see at what point of 'skill' he will have a certain wn8. Cant even imagine why I was so bad at the start of this game (been around 1k wn8 till I hit t8 at around 2k games), besides I didnt even pay attention if I already loaded into the game or went afk while dogfighting.

Dont worry about ur stats login to wotlabs, this place is made for players to improve. 

When I play a pub match, I take a look at the teams to decide who to support and who to 'go after.'

Don't do that. If you play well, you shouldn't have to decide who to be supporting or who you are going to yolo. While I am definitely not the best player, I did not improve by "going after" better players or following them around. I got better by learning how to position myself and shoot targets myself, and neither of those things require me knowing wr% or wn8 values.

When I mentioned actual skills being related to specific WR or WN8, I was referring to actual observations made by posters here on wotlabs. So, I thought there might be a master list compiled of all types of skills correlated with WR/WN. In this way, a horrible player like me might be able to get a hint as to what I'm doing wrong. Haven't there been discussions regarding skill sets as they relate to stats?

As to my decrease in stats recently, I have been playing my worst tanks trying to get their stats up. Maybe this isn't a good idea :)  My worst tanks are getting better but, my overall is suffering.

As to my decrease in stats recently, I have been playing my worst tanks trying to get their stats up. Maybe this isn't a good idea :)  My worst tanks are getting better but, my overall is suffering.

Don't worry about stats. Worry about how you play, where you can improve, and have fun doing it. If you aren't having fun you are going to play like shit. If you focus on moving stats you will get frustrated and not improve. If you work on improving your play you will likely get better, likely enjoy yourself more, and the stats will come.

Stats are indeed helpful to gauge a players skill, but I use it more as a "who should I watch out for" instead of "who should I go for" kind of thing.  I kind of go more along the lines of a tank line up.

If you load into a match, and you see an enemy team full of heavy tanks on like Ruinberg per say, you need to know that "hey, there is a 99% fucking chance that town is going to get the D shoved in".  You plan and react accordingly, bing bang boom you can win a match.  If I actually went targeting people who were the most dangerous on the team, I would be a blue recent player.....because lets fucking face it I suck even as purple recent.  But yet I'm pulling high win rates and wn8 these days because I look and focus on tank line up instead of blatant stat targeting.

Remember.  Even that 45 wn8 player can get lucky and completely shit on you.

Also, who the fuck cares about stats.  You have every right to be here :) this is a learning place.

Dafuq shifty, platoon with me soon bby

BTW, my stats suck so bad, I probably shouldn't be allowed to login to wotlabs. But you can look at my data and describe my attributes as a player as a starting point.

Here is what people don't get about our community:

We don't give a shit if you are the best player of the server or the worst, as long as you want to improve/help other people improve, and are not toxic, you are welcomed.

Now, about the original subject:

Yes, WR and WN8 are a factor almost everyone here taking into account.

It would be lying that is you find yourself facing, lets say 2 tiger 2s, one being a 400WN8 player, the other a 1800wn8 player, that we would not purposefully choose to focus the latter one first. Everyone would do it, as it would improve your chances of survival.

On a similar point: if you are spotting an opportunity to take control of a key point, but that you could only do it with the help of teammates. If the 2 guys behind me are 43% winrate players, I do trust them less to make a decision that would lead to a win (following me) than the same 2 players sitting at 55% winrate.

However, you have to take other stuff into account: Lets say you are facing a 2000wn8 t44, and right next to him, a 400wn8 batchat is there. Even if the first is more talented, the second is a whole lot of a bigger threat to you, and thus should be dispatched first.

TLDR: stats are useful to anyone that wants to know who on his team is most probably the better choice to rely on for help, and who on the other team, will be the key players to eliminate early in the game to secure a win. It's pretty simple.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I must admit to being a little surprised that so many are saying 'don't worry about stats.' I thought wotlabs was all about stats. Has there been a change in philosophy?

When I mentioned actual skills being related to specific WR or WN8, I was referring to actual observations made by posters here on wotlabs. So, I thought there might be a master list compiled of all types of skills correlated with WR/WN. In this way, a horrible player like me might be able to get a hint as to what I'm doing wrong. Haven't there been discussions regarding skill sets as they relate to stats?

If you are looking for a general way to correlate colors/skill to what that said player knows gameplay wise I can give you a general run down

White/red/no stats- Either a reroll if no stats, or completely new player who bought a tier 8 instantly.  OR complete shitter who has no fucking idea what they are doing.  These are your guys that yolo out into the fire, and get nailed instantly, then blame the team for their stupidity.  BUT there are reds who start to recognize they are playing badly, and try to FIX what they are doing.

Orange - They know where the WASD keys are and figured out how to use sniper mode

Yellow - They know how to play, they know the jist of how to do the cool moves, tactics are severely lacking though

Green - standard dudes.  Generally average across the board.

Light blue - MUCH greater difference compared to green IMO, these guys either plateau at 1600, anything above that and 99% of the time they are blue recent thus better than face value

Blue - They know the game, but they can't create situations to WIN.  But if a situation pops up and they take advantage of it, they will most likely win a game

Purple - These guys know how to create a chain of events to win overall.  They have most of the game mechanics down, and are comfortable in this game

Dark purple - These MOFOS know wtf is up.  

Now again, I say don't care about stats.  The more you think about them, THE MORE YOU FOCUS ON THEM and you end up doing WORSE than you expect. If you don't give a shit and play for fun I swear you will think clearly, you will have fun, and you will excel

Dafuq shifty, platoon with me soon bby

I will bby :3 send me invites if I'm on <3

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I must admit to being a little surprised that so many are saying 'don't worry about stats.' I thought wotlabs was all about stats. Has there been a change in philosophy?

And I'm gonna quote myself:

Here is what people don't get about our community:

We don't give a shit if you are the best player of the server or the worst, as long as you want to improve/help other people improve, and are not toxic, you are welcomed.

Hey Shifty, this is more like what I was searching for. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone else for the ideas also.

Stats are a great slave, but a horrible master.

They're useful in determining where your strengths and weaknesses lie.  They can give you insights into other players.  But obsessing over them generally leads to a lack of enjoyment.  One should ask "How do I play better?" not "How do I increase my WN8?"  Focusing too much on stats is like taking a terrible job, just because it pays well.  Key is balance.  You don't want a fun job that pays shit, nor do you want a soul crushing job that pays well.  Find something enjoyable that lets you live a comfortable lifestyle.  In tanks, this means "I play for fun" shouldn't be used to justify shit stats, but great stats don't really justify game play that makes you rage.

With that out of the way...

Stat categories (the colors, basically) are decent "quick and dirty" benchmarks of player skill.  Not exactly precise, but good enough for estimation.

Red - Bad.  I expect red players to have little understanding of the game.  They're either new or ignorant.  Sometimes dangerous by accident, because they might go to an absolutely useless place, but that place lets them see what you're doing.  Generally as much harm to their team as yours.  They're little more than bullet sponges.

Orange - Still bad.  They've probably figured out how to move their tank, and can usually hit close range shots or parked targets.  They tend to go to the same 1-2 places on every map.

Yellow - Average.  Fair mechanical skills.  Will probably hit most of their shots.  Lacking greater insight into the game, though.  Often goes to the right places, but does not  know why it's the right place, and cannot recognize when it is the wrong place.  Still not much more than fodder, but can be trusted to shoot at lit targets in front of them, and often move with the pack.

Green - Improving.  Mechanically sound.  They may even know weak points or understand the value of track shots.  They'll likely make you work a bit to earn the kill.  Can probably go hull down, or make themselves a difficult target.  Or at least, not an easy target.  Generally lacking in map awareness.  They can be led, but will miss their fair share of opportunities.

Blue - Good.  A fair understanding of how games are won.  Tend to utilize opportunities well, though not always able to create opportunities.  Likely to take a hit in order to break a flank, or position themselves well enough to impact the battle.  Possibly able to adjust tactics based on team makeups, and demonstrate map awareness.  

Purple - Great.  In addition to strong individual skill, most are able to create opportunities that make their teams better.  If you die, the purple is probably using your death to accomplish something (either damage or relocation.)  Tends to position and move well enough to live long and impact multiple parts of the battlefield.  Generally aware of the flow of battle, usually pushes to break a weak flank or retreats from bad situations.

Dark purple - All of the above, with greater effect and consistency.

Once again, these are generalities.  I've seen mechanically poor purples.  I've seen deadeye oranges, who simply put themselves in bad spots.  

By and large the wotlabs user base cares about getting better.  That applies whether they're 3k / 65% overall or yellows venturing here for the first time.  Stats tend to come from better play.

As far as the general overviews Shifty and Deus listed above, they aren't bad generalizations.  Just remember they're just that; generalizations.  I have a buddy (he actually introduced me to WoT) who is as mechanically sound as I am regarding aiming, side scraping, weak spots, etc.  However, he has no patience for research which would teach him positioning based on comp, when to flex, when to abandon a flank, etc.  He's a yellow overall.  I've seen times when he gets overlooked due to this and he wrecks an entire flank by himself in his heavy.  The reason it works for him in those situations is that he happened to be in the right place in that situation.  However, he doesn't consistently go to the right locations or flex around appropriately.

TL;DR: Don't expect those XVM numbers to be true in a specific situation.  Play everyone like they know exactly where your weak spots are.

The purpose of keeping stats is to rank players by skill. Once we know the rankings, then we can validate the rankings by trying to predict individual matches by using the rankings. Then some dipshit can suggest skill based matchmaking. If each match is perfectly balanced so that each team 50% of the time, over time everyone will have the same win/loss stats. Back to a no stat world.

Three parts of smart mixed with one part of stupid. This is how progress is made.