_Shrew

So you want to have a good sig...

Do you wish to have a great sig?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish to have a great sig?

• Yes, I find sigs a great way to show off my hard work
    • Yes, I want my sig to reflect my interests and help meet new people
    • No, to me a sig is just another thing that gets in the way of having a good discussion
  2. 2. Do you prefer customization or simplification?

• Yes, I like to be able to move and choose any part of my signature in order to reflect my personality
    • I prefer simple, sigs don't mean much to me
  3. 3. Who has the best signature NA?

• Jackquerooooooooooooodo underscores hi http://i.imgur.com/J3AwsWJ.gifv
    • Tomhwk underscores hi http://i.imgur.com/wXLABVf.gif
    • underscore Shrew underscores hi http://i.imgur.com/jelwFeY.webm
    • Tioga http://i.imgur.com/T4AHQlA.gif
    • Brettk(best)42O2(driver NA) http://i.imgur.com/vdwbzS8.gif

39 posts in this topic

Introduction:

I was thinking -- there are tons of people on this site and elsewhere who aspire to have a great sig.  But as we all know, a great help in this process is having a website that lets you customize your sig, pad stats so your sigs look better, and so on.  Plus, in a signature sense, people need to learn how to show what's really important, not just WN8 and recent 24 hour/1 week/30day/60day stats.

So I, acting with the full authority of unofficial grunt in great sigs, thought of a plan.  Why not let me help?

Something like this:

• Show people what's truly important in a great sig.
  • Anyone who has the will to make a great sig will receive support and have their requests and opinions validated.
  • Perhaps one night a week we can organize competitive sig contests. Perhaps give out gold to the person with the best sig of the week or have a chance to platoon with some of the best signature creators NA.

What I get out of this:

• When browsing my favorite world of tanks websites, each and every post will end with a great signature
  • Community goodwill
  • We get to have gifs in our sig, so while a picture is worth 1000 words, a gif is worth magnitudes more

What pubbies get out of this:

• A chance to finally express themselves
  • A chance to work your way into finally having a great sig
  • A chance to experience compliments about your great sig

Part I - Picking a signature website:

There's pretty much two options I know of here so I'll go through the pros and cons of both.

WoTLabs:

Preview:

The user interface -

02VcF5H.png

A finished product

2dS3wlz.png

(it seems to not be working at the moment, will update later, for now here's this)

signature.png

Pros

• Tanks played distribution (easy to spot a LT badder)
  • Recent activity
  • Minimalist design
    signature.png
  • Few choices so people who struggle to make decisions won't become stressed

Cons

• Lack of hyperunicum stat colors
  • No Personal Rating option
  • No MoE tracking
  • Lack of gif support
  • No customization other than colors and background image (again a pro for people who don't like making decisions)

Canvas Signatures:

Preview:

The user interface

http://puu.sh/iwNAW/739ac7097f.webm

Some finished products

VSshrWg.gif

ebYoQPt.gif

39NyVDo.gif

oFl81kz.gif

RdFfg4Z.gif

ZG5Hwfw.gif

dPhP0qw.gif

pRKJbb5.png

More examples here

Pros

• Customization
  • Personal Rating support
  • gif support
  • Hall of Fame tracker
  • MoE tracker

Cons

• Tough on those who struggle to make a choice (Brett I know you struggle but come on man, just pick something)
  • Recent stats different due to different sampling
  • gif size limit of 3mb
  • Using this sig will not guarantee you of chirping immunity

Part 2 - What's really important:

What's really important is how you end each and every post. Your signature is something that will be seen by anyone who reads your posts. If your great posts ends with a terrible sig, it's entirely possible the average reader will just breeze past until finding a post ending with a reasonable signature. The purpose of a signature is to finish each post with a personalized message that reflects the interests of that user. Some say "first impressions are most crucial - after a well made signature."

Now you ask, "underscores Shrew underscores hi, if signatures are really so important, what should I put on mine?"

Well since you've made it this far - making a good signature that will nicely attract the eye, yet also present your interests to others can be done in a multitude of ways.

What's important enough to include in your signature?

• T10 Marks of Excellence,
  • Personal Rating
  • Average XP Ranking in the Hall of Fame
  • You

You are the most important thing to include in your signature. Let's analyze what you perceive when viewing other's signatures.

What do you think is important to someone with a signature like this?

0Evr5qN.gif

Did you also say: "his waifu Madoka is something he cares about, yet he doesn't care about the numbers of his stats, meaning he's probably a very relaxed Australian"? Well, you're right!

How about a signature like this?

J3AwsWJ.gif

Clearly personal rating, underscores, win-rate, and remembering to stay happy no matter how down you feel is what this signature says about the individual.

Shall we take a look at one more? Okay!

vdwbzS8.gif

This is clearly the signature of someone who wants you to know they have trouble making decisions. They want you to look at their name which is focused in the center, but also want you to know his stats are quite reasonable for the clan he's currently in. He's probably a young Canadian male struggling to know what to do in life.

So now that you've seen just how much can be presented in a signature, it's time to begin your journey into having a good signature.

*** Incomplete, Part 3 soon TM ***

Edited by _Shrew

Wotlabs is clean, elegant, displays information. Whatever else that shit is is ugly, obnoxious, and displays less information.

Also you're supporting that fucking shithead tioga, why are you such an awful person shrew? How could you do this to yourself? To everyone else? Go to your corner and feel bad about yourself because you're a terrible person.

Wotlabs is clean, elegant, displays information. Whatever else that shit is is ugly, obnoxious, and displays less information.

Also you're supporting that fucking shithead tioga, why are you such an awful person shrew? How could you do this to yourself? To everyone else? Go to your corner and feel bad about yourself because you're a terrible person.

go shitpost and derail another thread but not this one thanks

As much as people may not like tioga, most still use his signature generator. Why? Because of all the options! While Wotlabs may be simplistic to some people's enjoyment; there is nothing wrong with going and adding flair to your sigs. It's not like anyone is giving tioga money or supporting him (other than website hits). If people hate him so much they don't want to use his sigs, that is their choice.

Also it lets you vote for all options on the first question, intentionally(?)

Then he can make his options look nice. Size the font to the color boxes properly. Add a 1px stroke to all text in the gif area for readability. Size the color boxes (if used) to fit the signature in a nice matter, not floating in a corner or exceedingly tiny. Aside from Tioga being an awful person, there are some thing that could make his obnoxious sigs look better crafted. Most of you already know about my tirade of bad color rectangle sizing in relation to the size of the full image.

Wotlabs is neither clean nor elegant. It's cluttered with information that is essentially white noise detracting from overall design unity. 1/7/30 day stats have never been a metric for assessing any sort of skill and they never will be. Simply filling the page with "more information" means nothing if that information is irrelevant or detracts from the overall purpose of whatever it is you are presenting.

But even to that point, T10 MOEs, PR, avg. xp ranking are all interesting data points that people do look at, and tioga.moe sigs present them in a relatively sublime way without detracting from the very fundamental purpose of a signature in the first place- to finish posts with a personalized message that reflects the interests of the user.

masterpupil.gif

Not really sure how good of a sig this is. Honestly I don't have many funny gifs and this was kinda hard to work with considering the only funny part is in the middle of the block. It looks crowded but I liked Brett's design which seems to work with the gif.

EDIT:

masterpupil.gif

Edited it because apparently I'm a Junior Officer now and I didn't even realize it moved over the Personality Rating.

DOUBLE EDIT:

What does Tioga use to show the stats? I'm 200 higher in my Recent WN8 on his site than I am on Wotlabs, and I'm at 70% rather than 68%.

masterpupil.gif

Not really sure how good of a sig this is. Honestly I don't have many funny gifs and this was kinda hard to work with considering the only funny part is in the middle of the block. It looks crowded but I liked Brett's design which seems to work with the gif.

EDIT:

masterpupil.gif

Edited it because apparently I'm a Junior Officer now and I didn't even realize it moved over the Personality Rating.

DOUBLE EDIT:

What does Tioga use to show the stats? I'm 200 higher in my Recent WN8 on his site than I am on Wotlabs, and I'm at 70% rather than 68%.

He's using the Noobmeter API, Neverwish revoked his privilege to use the wotlabs one after the gold incident.

^ like the sig zeph

Hey thx :D

I literally spent like an hour messing around with it xD

Pretty cool stuff though!

Since we're on the subject of animated signatures, could be kinda cool if one could have their statistics animated to move on a specified path(s) that loops, perhaps to go with the gif behind it. I'm sure some people could make fantastic signatures with something like this.

Since we're on the subject of animated signatures, could be kinda cool if one could have their statistics animated to move on a specified path(s) that loops, perhaps to go with the gif behind it. I'm sure some people could make fantastic signatures with something like this.

That has been suggested before, I hope to see it soon too!

Thanks, but no thanks. Interesting idea, but I think I'll be sticking with wotlabs for my signature needs.

Point #1

Canvas signatures pull stats from noobmeter. I am very concerned with showing my stats exactly as they are:  up to date. Noobmeter will always be lagging behind Wotlabs, and therefore I do not want to give people improper impressions about my recent play.

Point #2

I am going to disagree with Vonluckner. 1/7/30 day stats are very relevant and give an indicator of a tanker's activity.  I can easily tell from a glance at the sig how an individual is playing. Grinding stock tanks, lots of CW play, or statpadding in T10 meds? Easily deductible with a glance. All these factor into making an assessment of their abilities directly from the signature instead of having to look them up on this site for more detailed stats.

Point #3

Wotlabs sigs have a universally praised aesthetic. Practical, yet pleasing to the eye. Canvas sigs rely upon the designer to create a well-wrought sig. If I extrapolate the average intellect and performance of WoT pubbies to design capabilities, this will result in lots of eye cancer. Just look at _Tomhawk_putmeincoach__hi for a prime example of this. Absolutely tasteless.