Elvenlord

The Churchill VII

27 posts in this topic

Tonight I finished grinding out my Churchill VII. I haven't ground out a tank like this since my ill fated attempt to get the T34 way back when...

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the tank. It seemed to play quite like the Churchill III, with a fast RoF, decent pen, and an armor scheme that seemed to take pubbies quite a bit to figure out how to pen.

Anyways, the real point of this was to show off my ending stats in the tank. Not the greatest, but it is still one of my best played tanks to date, I hope that this is a continuing trend and that my play will reach this level consistently.

55% Win-Rate

1 KPG

803 DPG

679 ExpPG

shot_011_zps5ae30185.jpg

It's OK at tier 6 if people are dumb enough to park in front of you (cause you sure as hell can't go to them), but really suffered at tier 8 due to crap penetration even with gold (and this was the first tank I started using gold on because otherwise tier 8 games were horrible).

Black Prince is better due to actually penetrating things.

I really liked the Churchill VII also. Of the 12 Tier VI vehicles I've driven 50 or more games, the Church VII is 1st in damage per game, 2nd in win rate and WN7, and 3rd in kill/death ratio. It produced a lot of Sniper and Steel Wall badges and, most importantly, a lot of rollicking good times. I sold it to fund the purchase of the Black Prince, which I like even more, but I would happily drive a Church VII again if I had a reason to.

Interesting, I found that I rarely had an issue getting to a fight, as it seems most pubbies don't like pushing.  I also found that with regular AP I had little issue with T6, a few issues with T7 ( aT29 angled slightly would bounce, same with a Tiger), and provided I carefully aimed at weak points I could still tear through T8. I really enjoyed it, quite a bit more than I thought I would.

I liked mine, and that was back when arty was as accurate but actually fired more than twice a minute.  Getting to the fight initially was tough but then you could really be a bully.  It's kinda like the KV-5 for it's tier.

Those engine vents on the sides of the hull render the frontal armor pointless. I was able to kill one from the front with 128mm of penetration thanks to them.

The AMX40 might be slightly worse than this tank, but it is a close call, the worst tier 6 gridn so far in my life.

The tank wasn't too terrible. The tier 8 teams that I was matched up with were the problem, on my side.

Whenever I had tier 8 on my team I was usually the last one left standing. Unless of course arty spotted me then I was the first one dead.

Once I retired it and moved on to the BP that's when my win rate started climbing again and I finally got above 52%.

First tank on which I used free XP to skip part of the grind (and no I am not talking about the module grind).

Whenever I see them I personally just shoot the track and do damage. Since this also works when shooting from the front the tank is a POS. Pubs who don't know where to pen you often start shooting the tracks...

I recently purchased this, glad to see it's not just me. I was starting to think I may be missing something, ahah! Oh well, only grabbed the Uk heavies due to the recent on-track event. Will sell them once I ace them and have them all elite.

I had wondered initially if I would complete me one mission during this on-track event.. you know... block over 2x your own hp of damage and survive? Well... My Churchil I got single handedly taken out by an AMX 40 this morning on Sand River. No joke... I am not joking. He penned every shot with heat before I could even spot him. Just is too slow to go anywhere...and that also includes the Churchill VII.

11 minutes ago, allied_general said:

I got single handedly taken out by an AMX 40 this morning on Sand River. No joke... I am not joking. He penned every shot with heat before I could even spot him. Just is too slow to go anywhere...and that also includes the Churchill VII.

No way, how? AMX 40 HEAT doesn't even roll high enough to pen a Church VII. Hell, it wont even pen your side armor at a perfectly flat angle without a high roll.. that had to have been someone else's HEAT, 91mm pen isnt even remotely enough.

Oh gosh, you said Churchill I. Sorry. Thank god, I thought I was going crazy and somehow transported to a world where church vii's get solo'd by ducks.

LOL Sorry Rexxie, I had a feeling someone may mis-interpret that.  I should have formed my grammar a little better there :P

In the meantime, I had a tuff call, but decided to free-exp over the Churchill VII last night, in order to pick up the Black Prince. Now I have that entire line from Tier II up to the BP, and that even includes the Matilda-Black-Prince premium as well. Ahah. I had some gold around and decided to take advantage of the bonus to free-exp conversion over the next few days. I mainly wanted to be able to take FULL advantage of the doublers each day to complete the on-track event.

Of all the tanks on that line, so far my favorite is the first Matilda. I had been planning on selling it earlier as soon as the event was over, but now I am realizing how much worse everything else feels, I have decided I will be keeping the Matilda after all. The rest of the tanks.... well so far I am not having any liking for.

This is a Tank that i actually enjoyed when it first came out -

now I know what i am doing , frankly it is a lot better than the Churchill Black Prince - slow and the rate of fire is not overweliming ( even with Bia )

Did the old "come at me bro, my T1 has only 75hp left and you're almost full… You just have to crest and DAMAGING PERMATRACK ENGAGED" routine to a Churchill VII today.

Felt as awesome as always.

This tank is so funny that I already sold it twice. Now I bought it back again with 30% discount. It is actually so slow that arty is having hard time hitting you, perhaps they calculate the lead wrong or something. Also the armor seems quite good at decreasing splash damage. But expected WN8 of 748 damage.. in a tank that stops if you hit a tree and is completely useless in tier 8 games. :) This is hilarious!

I almost never use R-R-R but with this it is really useful. Then as a true roleplayer I just let it roll and have a cup of tea hoping to get into battle in time. Now I understand why the brits had a kettle in their tanks.

BTW did you fellow Churchill VII drivers notice that the 75mm HV has actually 0.14 turret dispersion? The "top" 77mm QF gun has 0.16. The dpm is the same, 75mm HV has 3mm less pen and 5 less damage. I think that 75mm HV is better. Also 75mm HV ammo is only 100 credits comparing to 77mm 150. Seems there is absolutely no reason to mount the "top" gun.

Played this miracle tank today for 6 games in a row and on mines i started laughing for this very reason: Was north spawn going 1-2 line and a O-I was spawned behind me. 30 seconds later the O-I  catches up and overpasses me and comes ahead of me. This tank is painfully useless..

Even the Tier 6 O-I is faster in top speed then a  Churchill VII and hence more mobile best joke ever WOT.

I'm really struggling with this, all but the top gun are unlocked and mounted. Crew is pretty bad right now, not done with their first skill.

Right now I'm only running a toolbox as I'm unsure how long I'll last. My experience so far has not been fun.

Anyone have recent gameplay in this thing or advice? My guess is that I should overangle and go for tracking shots whenever possible, but it's been hard dealing with the lack of mobility- by the time I get to the fight everyone is dead and the battle is decided.

This feels like a Maus with no gun and inconsistent armor. Help?

The only thing you can really do is make use of the fact everyone overlooks you. The tank is known for being garbage at this point, so people don't always prioritise you. You can actually get pretty great damage going on with angling, and the gun can do good work when you get into a nice spot.

If you can only skip one tank in the line, make sure to skip the BP though. The Church 7 is at least workable.

I didn't really mind the Churchill VII.  It's not great, but you can do well in it, as Rin says.  Halfway through the BP grind, though, I sold that abomination!!

I had the exact opposite issues when I ground through those. The Churchill VII was a mess and was mostly at the other team's mercy, while the Black Prince could put up a decent fight with a reliable gun.

(I've had the worst luck with tier 7 matchmaking the past couple years, though, to the point I try to skip past it now. It doesn't really matter how much you like a tank if it only sees tier 9's.)

I think Wargaming must have made a mistake here, this is clearly a stationary tier 4 TD with borked matchmaking, not a tier 6 heavy...