Storm

Internet Boats - SEA edition

191 posts in this topic

I downloaded the boats NA client for comparison.

There is no comparison. NA boats gameplay is worlds apart from ASIA, in the sense that on NA, battles are regularly close, communication happens and no one says poi. The difference is even more marked than it is with tanks.

I am Fireguard on NA, up to tier IV Jap CA and tier 2 Jap DD.

Doesn't surprise me at all, watching youtube vids you can see the communication difference, which is why I can't get into the game, it's all fucking poi poi poi in the first minute then basically zero coordination all game. Not sure I like the game enough to download the NA client and try to land 10 second travel shells with 300 ping.

How long does the average game last?

I think it's a bit longer than WoT, but the thing is even the fastest ship take 1min or more to move from 1 flank to the other and BBs literally move and turn like an arty. Or even slower. The turret traverse speed is about 4~5dps for the slow ones. Hence flanking maneuvre is severely limited (maps being open add to that too)

Yeah, the game play is slow, but i guess that's in accordance with the fact they are boats.

As for the maps, i really dont know what else they could have done with them without making them blatantly op for one class or another.

Interesting, what Firegaurd says about the difference of gameplay on NA. I am actually tempted to down load that client and find out myself.

Even more so than WoT, having a "division" or platoon is paramount. At least you can get some co-ordination. even 3 ships co-ordinating is better than 5 ships just driving around. The real key is isolating and overwhelming those lone ships then creating an overmatch later in the game. The lemming train actually works better than everyone just driving off randomly.

Other than that, it is just something else to play, that i wont take too seriously, and will give me some break from the madness that is WoT Asia.

Also, ping to boats ASIA is 108 ms.

Ping to boats NA is 108 ms. Not sure if it's a bug but it does feel like very low ping.

I actually find the pace of this game perfect for me, I am liking it a lot.

Being platooned or divisioned would be OP as shit in this game I reckon. http://worldofwarships.com/en/community/accounts/1000946211-Fireguard/#tab=pvp/account-tab-overview-pvp

Same ping? Fuck it, i'm going to download the NA client as well then.

Yeah being platooned is the best way to enjoy the game. Playing solo, i can get through about 4-5 games before being bored.

Being platooned i can easily triple those games. In fact i have had so much fun platooned at times the time has gotten away from me.

Mate it shows the same ping, I haven't done anything to confirm it as correct, but it feels the same as ASIA Ping (u)

Ditched the Japanese Cruisers at the Tier 5 one, it is literally awful.

US DDs, Cruisers and Japanese DDs are the go.

Pick CVs if you are a terrible person, like farming salt, and can into micro (I cant, and consequently am fucking awful at CVs).

My ping to the Asia boats server is pretty good, like 60 or so from what I remember. Dropped packets are fairly common though.

Did they actually put the server in a (comparatively) good place?

I've heard that WoWS Asia is in Japan.

My ping sits about 65-105 ish, fluctuating widly; probably more on the 100 side of things most of the time in game.

The Jap CA's are pretty awful until you get past the Aoba, after that pretty nice. That was before wipe though and i dont have any of those ships anymore.

Still pretty much around tier 4-5 on most tech tree lines.

Ping issues at 33knots with 10 second shell travel ... can't see it being an issue.

Ping issues at 33knots with 10 second shell travel ... can't see it being an issue.

Isnt an issue. You could play that game with half a second of latency and you'd be fine.

If there was a strong enough ANZ presence on NA Tugboats I would be tempted to roll there, would give up my Arkansas and alpha title but fuck those things if I can shoot boats on a server where every second player isn't some variation of Yamato and can't type anything other than poi.

Isnt an issue. You could play that game with half a second of latency and you'd be fine.

Packet loss is still nasty though. Not quite as bad as in tanks, but still not helping.

I've also discovered that I am apparently sub-potato quality at boats. Rocking a 26% win rate and only 493 XP per battle.

Packet loss is still nasty though. Not quite as bad as in tanks, but still not helping.

I've also discovered that I am apparently sub-potato quality at boats. Rocking a 26% win rate and only 493 XP per battle.

I know that feeling, was bot level winrate myself at the time of the wipe, 43% or something like that. On the upside you can play coop and it doesn't count towards stats.

Influx of newbies, WR is virtually meaningless until they work out how to play. If beta meta is anything to go by, the game is mostly about sailing in a manner that ensures you have either more ships, or better ships than the enemy in a given fight. And seeing as that sort of playstyle requires everyone to be on board with the idea... it may be some time before we can start actively judging skill in boots.

To be honest the primary reason i ever shifted to SEA was for the ping. But as above, i suspect it would be far less of an issue for the rubber duckies. But don't let me influence this... i don't even have a life vest.

for mindless fun, boots is fine in ASIA.

PBOTES is really taking off. We had more guys in boats than tanks for a while today.

longer than the usual wot, if you play aggressive you are more likely to die imo. Requires hanging back a fair distance so pubbie scum miss. Hard to miss the main gun at close ranges....

So ~10mins i think? That's how long it usually lasts for me if i don't yolo and die within 2 mins :^)))))

The main issue I think that will manifest with NA is that the population at Australian peak times isn't guaranteed to be very good and/or have any longevity, at least Asia will be supported by the hordes of Japanese weeaboos for a while, until a new anime about something other than boats makes them lose interest.

I just jumped back on the ASIA boat people server. My Phoenix is 11 battles 1 win.

Might just stick with DDs, mainly the US ones because no poi poi. Japanese cruisers were good, but the tier 5 one put me off the line.

Edit - the tactical retardation amazes me. Instead of the rogical thing ie cap A and B, or B and C, they seem to think the best wai is to cap each end (A and C) and try and hold the circres that wai.

Might just stick with DDs, mainly the US ones because no poi poi. Japanese cruisers were good, but the tier 5 one put me off the line.

Edit - the tactical retardation amazes me. Instead of the rogical thing ie cap A and B, or B and C, they seem to think the best wai is to cap each end (A and C) and try and hold the circres that wai.

The Japanese cruisers after the Furutaka are pretty good, the tier 7 one in particular, personally I prefer them over the American cruisers as the torpedoes make them more interesting to play, even if they are situational.

That's not very illogical for most people, aside from destroyers and particularly mobile light cruisers B is a deathtrap, most people are derping around in battleships and heavy cruisers, so aside from destroyers B is most of the time not an option (aside from destroyers, who really ought to go for B asap) until the game develops quite a bit further.

From what i saw on NA, getting the 2 side by side caps allows you to herd the enemy team away from them. 

It was the Furutaka that put me off the line. US DDs seem to suit me atm after some experience on NA. Hunting poi DDs is fun.