hall0

Chieftain, FV215b replacement

612 posts in this topic

I have the biggest feeling this tank will not be as epic as the 215b 

I agree. The hull is worthless against gold, the turret has iffy places, and the L11 will probably be disappointing. This is WG after all.

I hope this thing gets usefull turret armor unlike the FV4202-replacement, only time will tell...

chieftain-1.jpg

The hull armor atleast seems to be worse than the 215b (38mm sidearmor behind the tracks means that you will get autopenned by 120mm guns and the front seems to be just as good/bad as the 215b.

It´s hard to judge the turretarmor based on the drawings alone so I will wait until I see the actual tankmodel, but so far the armor doesn´t really look that impressive.

Pls WG I want the FV215B, they can make it like T-54-> obj140/t62a... so it would be Conq -> fv215b/chieftain.

I would love if they did that. There is no reason they cant. 

I agree. The hull is worthless against gold, the turret has iffy places, and the L11 will probably be disappointing. This is WG after all.

Are there armor values yet? Also I can see weak points all over the turret.

I thought War Gaming said they were not replacing the 215b after all, only the 4202....

But whatever, SoonTMTMTMTMTMTMTM

I read Storm hes quote as: Fv 215 B might stay in game, not that chieftain wont come (not adding chieftain would be beyond retarded)

My guestimation is: Fv 215B will be a TD, and replace Fv 183, this way the other TD line becomes `more attractive` & the line is more logical (high dpm guns with good gun handling)

I read Storm hes quote as: Fv 215 B might stay in game, not that chieftain wont come (not adding chieftain would be beyond retarded)

My guestimation is: Fv 215B will be a TD, and replace Fv 183, this way the other TD line becomes `more attractive` & the line is more logical (high dpm guns with good gun handling)

That'd be great. The 215B is such a pleasant and unique tank to drive, it'd be a shame if they just had a tier 10 conqueror with paper armor replace it.

Why should the FV 215B replace the realistic tank he is based on? This would make no sence at all. WG tries to remove some of their Frankensteintanks. By removing the tank which actually excisted they would achiece the opposite and this would even for WG levels too stupid.

€. And yes I know this would make some sence for gameplay. One hard hitting, slow reloading TD and the other with a fast shooting and low alpha gun.  But the chances this is going to happen are probably <5%.

I would love if they did that. There is no reason they cant. 

Are there armor values yet? Also I can see weak points all over the turret.

Only reference is what Fabunil posted above, supposedly for the 1956 model, though with questionable provenance. 85mm at 72 degrees will do fuck all against HEAT and anyone shooting down 2 degrees. If the upper plate is 120mm, then we actually have good protection. Whatever the case, the lower plate is complete trash and a massive weakspot at any angle, as is the tradition for British tanks.

That'd be great. The 215B is such a pleasant and unique tank to drive, it'd be a shame if they just had a tier 10 conqueror with paper armor replace it.

There is a reason. It's logical. WG don't do logical.

Sorry to rain on your parade guys, but the 215B was something from SerB design bureau, while the 215 (183) was an actual prototype. The former can be seen from the fact that the 215B has front mounted ammo racks, on the other side of the engine from the crew. They basically just got lazy and used the Conq module layout.

I wouldn't be opposed to them keeping it in the game, making like the T54---->Obj140/T62a tech tree style.

But the Chieftain is going to need some serious 50B speed if it's armor is going to be that shit.  THEN it might be a decent tier 10, but till then it looks like a shit version of the 4202

I wouldn't be opposed to them keeping it in the game, making like the T54---->Obj140/T62a tech tree style.

But the Chieftain is going to need some serious 50B speed if it's armor is going to be that shit.  THEN it might be a decent tier 10, but till then it looks like a shit version of the 4202

Branching is probably the best option, as opposed to the TD suggestion. In the mean time, we all KNOW how bad the Chieftain's HP/T is. It's not going to be that good no matter how much they fudge the ground resistant values. The biggest thing they could play around with is the gun, which I think will really make or break the tank. Given the L11's real life performance and balance considerations, it can be modeled as anything between the E5's 120mm and the German 128mm firing all APCR.

The biggest thing they could play around with is the gun, which I think will really make or break the tank. Given the L11's real life performance and balance considerations, it can be modeled as anything between the E5's 120mm and the German 128mm firing all APCR.

Would the FV215b's gun handling and DPM be OP on a tank with a front(ish)-mounted turret?

Why should the FV 215B replace the realistic tank he is based on? This would make no sence at all. WG tries to remove some of their Frankensteintanks. By removing the tank which actually excisted they would achiece the opposite and this would even for WG levels too stupid.

I'm sorry but I don't consider a tank that never progressed further than the wooden mock up "eh maybe we'll try this" stage to be any more "real" than some of the other fake tanks in this game, semantics anyone? The fv215b is nicely balanced in tier and in meta which is something that cannot be said for the 183 or waffle. Why all this selective clamoring to replace "Fake" tanks? I don't hear outrage that half the american tree is made up or that the e-50m is a Serb design bureau invention. I don't see how this is any different than giving the Hellcat a 90mm or the IS-7 30mm magic spaced armor. If it is balanced and promotes good gameplay I say keep it even over supposed "real" tanks that break the game.

Branching is probably the best option, as opposed to the TD suggestion. In the mean time, we all KNOW how bad the Chieftain's HP/T is. It's not going to be that good no matter how much they fudge the ground resistant values. The biggest thing they could play around with is the gun, which I think will really make or break the tank. Given the L11's real life performance and balance considerations, it can be modeled as anything between the E5's 120mm and the German 128mm firing all APCR.

If it's like the E5's 120 then the Brit heavy line is fucked........maybe not so much with a German style 128

Only reference is what Fabunil posted above, supposedly for the 1956 model, though with questionable provenance. 85mm at 72 degrees will do fuck all against HEAT and anyone shooting down 2 degrees. If the upper plate is 120mm, then we actually have good protection. Whatever the case, the lower plate is complete trash and a massive weakspot at any angle, as is the tradition for British tanks.

The armor values have been confirmed by WG's contact at Bovington, so presumably that is the one they are going to use.

The armor values have been confirmed by WG's contact at Bovington, so presumably that is the one they are going to use.

All the more reason to keep the 215b in game and branch at the Conqueror or make it the TD, at least from a player standpoint. Taking into account game mechanics and balance precedents that  WG have already set I'm like 90% sure that the Chieftain will be utter shit as currently presented to us. It will have 113 esque armor without the mobility, a turret full of weakspots because "balance", and there is no way in hell WG can give it it's historical gun's abilities because again "balance".

Would the FV215b's gun handling and DPM be OP on a tank with a front(ish)-mounted turret?

Depends. Despite the flak about its amour, the 215's upper plate is not bad and it's turret is also fairly resilient. The 2500 HP doesn't hurt its survivability either. Its mobility is also not bad and is certainly quite agile when it comes to maneuvering in a small area. This along with a fast turning turret helps in messy engagements. It's just a question of whether the Chieftain gets enough back for whatever it will lose compared to the 215B, and we really don't know.

Imo there are 2 ways WG can / will balance Chieftain

1: the exact same gun as Fv 215 has now, making it like a conqueror, with a bit better armor (due to autobounce) and a bit better turret (questionable due to turret buff of conq) more gun depression and a bit worse mobility

2: an improved gun, something like the conqueror in terms of acc / rld / gun handling, but 440-450 dmg and 270 pen, i guess this version will be slower as version 1, due to better gun

But it will mostly depend i think on turret armor, if the turret turns out rly strong (like the E5) it will be gimped mobility wise, or get a 400 dmg gun, if the turret is kinda bad, it will get either OP gun or ``too good`` mobility

(and 183 is also total fake, the real 183 is game though, its the Fv 4005)