hall0

Chieftain, FV215b replacement

612 posts in this topic

Well:

http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37653&page=3

M103vsChieftain_zps5c7c5c6e.png

The T123E1 is the M58 from the M103. The "British 120mm 2B" is what would become the Chieftain's gun. Note how much less powerful it is.

This test is from same period / trial, so the M103 with L60 has 9.511.000 Ft/lbs while the chieftain had only 6.883.400 Ft / lbs, penetration was 6 inch vs 5.3 inch (if i read it correct)

I think you read the T123E1 penetration wrong. Both variants on the table appear to have 4.8 inches of penetration compared to the 5.3 inches of the 120mm 2B. Muzzle velocity of the American gun is also lower, though I'm not sure if that's actually relevant to anything.

I think it may be possible the chart is comparing an AP shell from the T123E1 to some sort of APDS from the 120mm 2B. Of course the ammunition drawings next to each gun may mean something different.

I think you read the T123E1 penetration wrong. Both variants on the table appear to have 4.8 inches of penetration compared to the 5.3 inches of the 120mm 2B. Muzzle velocity of the American gun is also lower, though I'm not sure if that's actually relevant to anything.

I think it may be possible the chart is comparing an AP shell from the T123E1 to some sort of APDS from the 120mm 2B. Of course the ammunition drawings next to each gun may mean something different.

oops, read the wrong pen value :P I guess the higher muzzle velocity / lower muzzle energy is indeed due to different ammo, atleast, there 2 ammo types are mentioned, APDS 1370 m/s and APFSDS 1534 m/s while the table menations 1463 m/s (if i understand the discussion there correctly)

So its one of those, while the M103 is using AP most likely (a quick wiki / google shows there was never exotic ammunition developed for it)

Can anyone confirm, is it the Mk 5 we're getting? :)

Not sure. Does the model come with electronic fire control? If so, then almost certainly not. It should be Mk 2 IIRC.

Not sure. Does the model come with electronic fire control? If so, then almost certainly not. It should be Mk 2 IIRC.

If I remember correctly both FTR and Rita's blog have said that it will be the Mk3 Chieftain that we get. I don't know exactly what the differences between the Mk2 and the Mk3 are but Wikipedia states that.

Chieftain Mk 2
First service model with 650 hp engine.
Chieftain Mk 3
Extra equipment fitted giving rise to several sub-marks. New cupola.

So Yay!! we get "extra equipment".

They said it would be Mark 2, not 3

"- Storm confirms: FV215b (120) will be changed to Chieftain Mk.3 and FV4202 to Centurion Action X"

Unless there has been an update to the issue that I haven't seen. 

I hope they give it a decent engine / terrain stuff, i dont want E100 mobility coupled with Conqueror hull armor and M103-like-turret armor....

Engine is still pretty crap, but it is better than the Chieftain 1 engine (you do not want to know)

Terrain resistance and traverse will probably have to be good. 

10 degrees of gun depression, good turret, amazing gun handling with decent mobility? Sign me up.

So when is this cumming?

9.11 supposedly, but we all know how that goes.

Also, there is considerable doubt about the quality of the turret. The forehead especially looks like a massive weak spot.

9.11 supposedly, but we all know how that goes.

Also, there is considerable doubt about the quality of the turret. The forehead especially looks like a massive weak spot.

A day or two ago The_Chieftain said they found some model errors, so the 9.11 prediction is up in the air

I wouldn't mind the FV215b becoming the new tier 10 TD, because it fits in with the rest of the old British TD line, (low alpha, high DPM) unlike the FV215(130), which is a complete change (high alpha, low DPM.)

It means that the "new" British Tier 10 death star will be the only one in the tech tree. Because let's face it, having two HESH flinging "fuck you" cannons at tier 10 is a bit silly IMHO.

I wouldn't mind the FV215b becoming the new tier 10 TD, because it fits in with the rest of the old British TD line, (low alpha, high DPM) unlike the FV215(130), which is a complete change (high alpha, low DPM.)

It means that the "new" British Tier 10 death star will be the only one in the tech tree. Because let's face it, having two HESH flinging "fuck you" cannons at tier 10 is a bit silly IMHO.

Also replacing all the 183 with regular 215b's would be awesome. No more baddies random blaping you because they decided to go to a place no sane person would and then dying with one shot fired, on you, in your weakly armored tank. No one would grind the new line too. Win win for the pub meta.

A day or two ago The_Chieftain said they found some model errors, so the 9.11 prediction is up in the air

Where/when? During one of his streams?

The model erors maybe have something to do with them trying to find a model where the turret will be more stronk?

The model erors maybe have something to do with them trying to find a model where the turret will be more stronk?

Where/when? During one of his streams?

It was in some post he made in an NA forum thread, stating that some features from different marks were on the ingame model that shouldn't be.  I'd wager a lot of it is fairly minor details like headlights or stowage.

It was in some post he made in an NA forum thread, stating that some features from different marks were on the ingame model that shouldn't be.  I'd wager a lot of it is fairly minor details like headlights or stowage.

Too bad. I'm very afraid it will be worse than the fv215b.

On the wikipedia article, the mk2 chieftain has a strong turret and upper plate with 10 degrees of gun depression. That's what made me so interested in this tank, along with the gun that the 215b has. Since they just toughened the turret of the conqueror, the mk2 will most likely have a good turret.

The design of the Chieftain included a heavily sloped hull and turret, which greatly increased the effective thickness of the frontal armour – 388 mm (15.3 in) on the glacis (from an actual thickness of 120 mm (4.7 in)), and 390 mm (15.4 in) on the turret (from 195 mm (7.7 in)).[2] It had a mantletless turret, in order to take full advantage of reclining the vehicle up to ten degrees in a hull-down position.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chieftain_tank 

A few points on this post. 

On the wikipedia article, the mk2 chieftain has a strong turret and upper plate with 10 degrees of gun depression. That's what made me so interested in this tank, along with the gun that the 215b has. Since they just toughened the turret of the conqueror, the mk2 will most likely have a good turret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chieftain_tank 

1. Never use Wikipedia. Seriously. That makes you a [email protected] 

2. Conqeuror turret armor has nothing to do with Chief. Up until about 3 months ago, no one, including Bovington, knew how thick the turret was. Now we know, it has a 10 inch frontal basis. This is reflected in game. I anticipate a historical depression nerf to -6.5 degrees soon enough as well. 

3. Chieftain 120mm hull is a myth. I have viewed both Russian and German armor layouts for the Mk.1 Chief, and assure you that the armor will be super crap in game. Overmatch the sides (35mm), shoot down into the hull for practically autopens and the turret will be worse than the Conquerors'. 

4. Gun penetration is now balance and I anticipate basically the same gun stats as the FV215b 120 but with maybe 10 more pen, because not Russian. 

5. Lastly, please ask me any questions you have.