Solono

Anime Thread 3.1: It's Entertaining Only If You Masturbate

3,649 posts in this topic

Finished Code Geass: Akito the Exiled. I'm not particularly fond of it, mostly because I feel like it was 5 hours of wasted potential, but then again, most shows are. Full disclosure, I watched it dubbed, which I found to be better.

Mini review:

First off, if you finished watching Code Geass, you're hardly going to get anything that made Code Geass good in here. Yes, Lelouche does show up briefly, but he hardly does anything more than spread "fake news". On the other hand, you're stuck with characters that you hardly give two shits about (again, quite common with most anime I watch now), with the exception of Leila. Even though Akito's in the goddamn title, he has nothing special about him other than being a main character. Other than scream "DIE!" _a lot_, there's not much I can really say about him. Since we're on the topic of the title, remember how Lelouche had a Geass that allowed him to do shit? The movies spend hours teasing Leila having her own Geass, only to have her use it once (twice?), while only implying what it does. This brings us to the last point, which may be the redeeming quality of Akito the Exiled, Leila. She was the only character I cared about at all in the first movie, and that sentiment stuck throughout all five movies. In essence, she is a opposite reflection of Lelouche. While the majority of Geass users are selfish individuals that seek to accomplish their own goals, Leila is different. Instead, she becomes a completely selfless individual that wants to help everyone out. Perhaps this is what Akito the Exiled set out to do, to show a different side to having a Geass. However, she doesn't even use it until partway through the last movie, so I doubt this is the case.

tl;dr

If you're a fan of Code Geass, you'll have already watched this, or plan on watching it regardless. Otherwise, it's not going to convince you to like Code Geass.

srs tho, L E I L A

Net-juu no susume is quite relatable so far. It's basically about investing in an MMO (which happens a lot); and it actually paying off (which happens not at all). The cast is as realistic as animes get, and as likeable as realistic characters go. Yet at the same time it's more escapist than even the most idealistic of isekai works. My own memories of MMOs were tainted by perpetual war, cash-shop whoring, and 10 year olds killing my ears; quite different from the Arcadian adventures in this anime.

This season has a lot of likable anime, haven't watched that demon dude one yet but am enjoying Umaru again.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:14 AM, Assassin7 said:

yes?

This thread sure doesn't xd

What's y'all's AOTY for the year? For me,  if we're counting sequels then it'd be Hero Academia  S2; if not, then Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko  (that OP is so freaking good)

12 minutes ago, robosapieo said:

What's y'all's AOTY for the year? For me,  if we're counting sequels then it'd be Hero Academia  S2; if not, then Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko  (that OP is so freaking good)

yeah, dead thread is dead.

also, uhh, believe it or not I havent really watched much of this years anime. I just keep watching older stuff lol.

Ima Say new Game S2 because IIRC thats the only one from this year I've actually watched. unless, did SAO ordinal scale come out this year? or was it last year? ffs lol. 

other than that, I know what you're gonna say, but Fate kaleid movie. No, seriously. Loli hentai scenes? nothing. Illya? we saw her for about 2 minutes at the end. This was purely a prequal to 3rei shown in that world, featuring, as usual, Shiro as the Protaganist. (woo Spin off about Illya turns into yet even more Shiro, god dammit fate) 

anyway, as a Fate kaleid thing, It was meh on that sort of idea, didn't really expand on the kaleid story, which I was sad about.

but as an actual fate Movie? It was fucking good. Like, ignore the fact it says Kaleid in there. It was properly good and even if you haven't watched or don't like Kaleid I still suggest watching it. 

20 minutes ago, robosapieo said:

made in abyss

On 12/3/2017 at 4:09 PM, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

made in abyss

Fek. Can't believe I forgot about that. I'd actually place it above Shuumatsu ryouko now that I think about it

On 12/6/2017 at 7:37 AM, robosapieo said:

Fek. Can't believe I forgot about that. I'd actually place it above Shuumatsu ryouko now that I think about it

they don't dab in Made in Abyss.

CseaZF6.jpg

I think we can all agree this year biggest dissapointment was the SUKA SUKA anime. could have been 10/10.

anyone know of any good Classic Pirate based animes out there? NOT ONE PIECE! theres no way in hell im watching however many fucking episodes of that show there are, But I feel like watching a good Pirate show, but don't have the time to be able to watch full pirates of the Caribbean films lol (and I've seen them so many times)

On 6/9/2018 at 10:06 AM, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

are there any interesting animemes this season/next?

Late to print, but depends on your needs.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:10 PM, Assassin7 said:

anyone know of any good Classic Pirate based animes out there? NOT ONE PIECE! theres no way in hell im watching however many fucking episodes of that show there are, But I feel like watching a good Pirate show, but don't have the time to be able to watch full pirates of the Caribbean films lol (and I've seen them so many times)

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water might be the closest to a sea adventure anime I can think of. Not a pirate anime per se, but worth watching if you can handle the pre-CG era graphics.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:10 PM, Assassin7 said:

Shingeki of Bahamut is PoTC-ish, but it happens on land, derivative, but entertaining af.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:53 AM, lavawing said:

Shingeki of Bahamut is PoTC-ish, but it happens on land, derivative, but entertaining af.

I'll second the Bahamut recommendation (have only seen the first season).  Outwardly it seems pretty generic/forgettable, but its actually a lot of fun to watch.

11 hours ago, KnobbyHobbGoblin said:

I'll second the Bahamut recommendation (have only seen the first season).  Outwardly it seems pretty generic/forgettable, but its actually a lot of fun to watch.

Second season is trash through and through, at least it looks pretty, which makes it pretty trash