no_name_cro

Quick questions & quick answers. [WoWS]

1,588 posts in this topic

On paper, yes.... until you realize those dispersion numbers are for a max range that's 7km(?) shorter than the Myogi's range. In practice, it's actually worse.

Okay, this needs clarified right now. The dispersion of the guns is not linear. We know that the devs can change dispersion in different range bands (most recent translated QnA). We don't know the dispersion curves for any BB because they aren't public. It's entirely possible that the Myogi is less accurate across the entire range band than the Wyo, but it's also possible that it's more accurate.

On paper, yes.... until you realize those dispersion numbers are for a max range that's 7km(?) shorter than the Myogi's range. In practice, it's actually worse.

Okay, this needs clarified right now. The dispersion of the guns is not linear. We know that the devs can change dispersion in different range bands (most recent translated QnA). We don't know the dispersion curves for any BB because they aren't public. It's entirely possible that the Myogi is less accurate across the entire range band than the Wyo, but it's also possible that it's more accurate.

It doesn't really matter if the Wyoming has better or worse dispersion then the Myogi. By virtue of having twice as many guns as the Myogi is is more likely to achieve hits regardless of what the actual dispersion stats are as long as it can keep a target inside of its firing range.

We don't know, but we could.

Pick a fixed target (a mid-high tier BB) and take every BB into a training room and fire on 2-3 at fixed range bands (like starting at 3km and jumping 2km per band).  Bam!  We now know who's more accurate.

Edit: Further detail.  Pick a NC as the target (slightly longer than the average length of USN and IJN BB line).  Have the aim point be waterline at the first smokestack so everyone has the same starting point.  Range bands are 3km plus every 2km after that up til max range of guns.  This would be too much work for one person so folks could mention what ships they have and just focus on them.  Make a stickied post on here where folks add data over time and we'll start to get a useful picture of accuracy.

You'd probably want the eye of Sauron mod and layer up opacity images of splashes to get the dispersion circles (Monte Carlo method basically). 

Both are great. The US like has universally good high tiers, and the Japanese line is consistently good from T4 upwards. Dunno about the Izumo, I hear it has a big glass jaw and silly gun layout but the secondaries look kinda brutal.

What BB line would you guys recommend? I hear the Yamato is a better tier X.

In general the recommendation is for the IJN line because the USN line are slow and have a shorter main battery range than the IJN counter parts until the Tier 8 North Carolina. 

In general the recommendation is for the IJN line because the USN line are slow and have a shorter main battery range than the IJN counter parts until the Tier 8 North Carolina. 

Except for the Kawachi... that get's out ranged by DDs.  9.7k range... wtf

Except for the Kawachi... that get's out ranged by DDs.  9.7k range... wtf

You'd get a pretty similar experience with the South Carolina, there's no way around grinding through the terrible T3 BBs unless you want to whale and spend money on Free XP. I think the T3 BBs should get sheltered MM, they aren't bad when against other T3s and can marginally works against T4s, but hopelessly out classed by Tier 5 ships. 

I find both lines to have their +'s and -'s. The tier 4 myogi is just utter trash like the South Carolina. Then the US line is insanely slow until tier 8 which sucks when you reach the bigger sized maps. I always have the problem of being too aggressive or too passive. Kongo/Fuso are very fun and the Nagato/Colorado are just meh. Only made it to the Amagi and New Mexico on CBT.

currently suffering playing through the izumo.  it's stupid vulnerable to HE spam and requires the upgraded hull to not be out-penned by some cruisers at point blank.  upgraded guns are fairly accurate, but you can't take much.  HE smashes you, and AP can hit your deck at mid ranges for large amounts of damage.

Murmansk and Omaha should use AP against other T5 and below CA's broadside to you and all DD.s. Use HE in all other circumstances.

Murmansk and Omaha should use AP against other T5 and below CA's broadside to you and all DD.s. Use HE in all other circumstances.

Against DDs? Wouldn't that risk overpen?

What about at range?

152 MM guns are not much of an over pen problem. You can use HE too, but AP blows them up on center line hits under their stacks. At point plank range, when they are turning to torp you, HE may be a better choice. HE will probably pen them point blank.

Is there a way to deselect a target you ctrl+clicked? For example if you wanted the effect of the cruiser AA barrage to disrupt multiple bomber groups and had previously selected a target to focus fire on.

I think if you control click nothing it goes away.

Oh, After this am's patch, hitting C changes your view from front to rear turrets and back again. I guess it may work with Torps again.

Do we have an official wotlabs ingame channel? There's like a dozen that show up on the search.

Also add me, same name as here.

The one that I use is majsteven's wotlabs Ted uses it too

I think if you control click nothing it goes away.

Oh, After this am's patch, hitting C changes your view from front to rear turrets and back again. I guess it may work with Torps again.

Neither of those worked.

What about at range?

You are correct HE for DD's. I tried it out over 3 matches. Much more damage per hit with HE.

So ammunition choice is still confusing me, particularly AP. In the Murmansk for instance, when should I be using AP? 

What about at range?

Not sure if you two are aware of this, but destroyers no longer have "Citadels", thus it is impossible to score citadel hits on them. I do find that spamming HE at them is a much better option due to the module-damage potential -- it's very easy to set them on fire, blow their tubes out, and disable their steering/engine. Destroyer modules get destroyed at such a fast rate that even scoring two successive hit can guarantee you a kill.

AP shells in the meanwhile have a much harder time doing anything.

The shorter main battery range is a non-issue. Japanese Battleships firing from >17km aren't going to hit you easily. You need to be mixing it up in the fight and clubbing out cruisers (hunting clevelands is my favourite sport). 

The speed is an issue that you need to mitigate through good positioning. US standard BBs work best either defensively or on a no-stops offence.