no_name_cro

Quick questions & quick answers. [WoWS]

1,582 posts in this topic

My BBs seem rather...inaccurate at times.  I'm not sure what the issue is.  Sometimes I can nail things at long range, but other times I'll be shooting at a target 6 klicks distant and will watch every round but one miss.  I know I'm leading properly because the shots aren't all ahead or all behind or anything, but they seem to land around the target too often.  Too often I'll fire at a target and see shots land in front of the target, behind the target, past the target, and short of the target, and hit with maybe 1 or 2 shells out of 8 or 9.

What am I doing wrong?  I normally fire in sequence, rather than all at once; does this affect accuracy?  Also, I tend to make it a point to always be moving at full throttle; does that affect accuracy?  I (too often) see people literally park motionless somewhere and fire at targets at max range; does this actually help accuracy?

Welcome to BBs.

Seriously though, the class has the worst dispersion in the game, resulting in misses like you describe.

Moving doesn't affect accuracy at all, regardless of being stopped or at full speed.

Certain nations are more accurate than others however, the Germans are shit, whilst the Arizona and Warspite are good.

You can equip an aiming equipment module in one of the slots for some nations which will help reduce the dispersion - strongly recommended for Anerican BBs.

1 hour ago, Hellvn said:

Welcome to BBs.

Seriously though, the class has the worst dispersion in the game, resulting in misses like you describe.

Moving doesn't affect accuracy at all, regardless of being stopped or at full speed.

Certain nations are more accurate than others however, the Germans are shit, whilst the Arizona and Warspite are good.

You can equip an aiming equipment module in one of the slots for some nations which will help reduce the dispersion - strongly recommended for Anerican BBs.

Ok, good to know.

When's a good time to use AP and HE?  With DDs I only use AP against DDs and use HE against cruisers and BB to set fires if I get within range.  Cruisers I use AP against DDs and cruisers, HE to set BBs on fire - and BBs I literally never use HE.

Am I doing it wrong?

Probably not quite as simple as that - if would be worth reading up on the overmatching mechanics for AP.  Mesrith or Onboard would be able to explain it better than I can.

Generally HE is better against DDs, you won't get overmatches and you've got a good chance to go module damage plus set fires.

Against angled cruisers, HE is again better (aim at their superstructure) but if they show their broadside then hit them with AP and aim at the waterline.

Same applies in a BB, if they're bow tanking then hit them with HE unless you can overmatch their bow armour.  For long range shots, AP might be effective due to plunging fire, but it isn't modeled correctly in WOWS, and more often than not results in ricochets or over pens.

15 minutes ago, Hellvn said:

Probably not quite as simple as that - if would be worth reading up on the overmatching mechanics for AP.  Mesrith or Onboard would be able to explain it better than I can.

Generally HE is better against DDs, you won't get overmatches and you've got a good chance to go module damage plus set fires.

Against angled cruisers, HE is again better (aim at their superstructure) but if they show their broadside then hit them with AP and aim at the waterline.

Same applies in a BB, if they're bow tanking then hit them with HE unless you can overmatch their bow armour.  For long range shots, AP might be effective due to plunging fire, but it isn't modeled correctly in WOWS, and more often than not results in ricochets or over pens.

Ah, good to know.  Wasn't sure how much it mattered that so much long-range fire seems to hit the lightly armored superstructure and not the more heavily armored belt on a battleship.

I run AP nearly all the time in BBs unless a target BB refuses to stop being bow on our if I know a DD is close by. Heck AP isn't all that bad against DDs because 5 overpens will take half this HP

On 7/17/2017 at 7:35 AM, Psycodiver said:

I run AP nearly all the time in BBs unless a target BB refuses to stop being bow on our if I know a DD is close by. Heck AP isn't all that bad against DDs because 5 overpens will take half this HP

Same here.

Florb, I see from another thread that you are only at tier 4. Lower tier BBs are deliberately made inaccurate by WG by a combination of two stats; dispersion and sigma.

Dispersion is the size of the ellipse (oval) that your shells will land "somewhere" in. 

Sigma dictates how likely the shells are to land in the middle of the dispersion ellipse. 1.5 is terrible and will see your shells landing all over the ellipse while 2.0 is good and will see a majority of them landing in the middle of the ellipse. 2.1 is the best in the game.

Low tier BBs suffer from the double whammy of his having a large dispersion AND a terrible sigma.  As a result you see shells landing all over the place.

As you go up on tiers you will see some ships have much better sigmas than others.  Fuso while it has an excellent max range has an abysmal sigma value (1.5 from memory) which means that any salvo fired at a target more than 12km away is just a Hail Mary spray'n'pray.

As a very broad general rule (up to tier 7/8) the ideal range for a BB is 12km. Close enough to reliably hit your target but far enough away to not get torped.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:04 PM, Manic_Wombat said:

Florb, I see from another thread that you are only at tier 4. Lower tier BBs are deliberately made inaccurate by WG by a combination of two stats; dispersion and sigma.

Dispersion is the size of the ellipse (oval) that your shells will land "somewhere" in. 

Sigma dictates how likely the shells are to land in the middle of the dispersion ellipse. 1.5 is terrible and will see your shells landing all over the ellipse while 2.0 is good and will see a majority of them landing in the middle of the ellipse. 2.1 is the best in the game.

Low tier BBs suffer from the double whammy of his having a large dispersion AND a terrible sigma.  As a result you see shells landing all over the place.

As you go up on tiers you will see some ships have much better sigmas than others.  Fuso while it has an excellent max range has an abysmal sigma value (1.5 from memory) which means that any salvo fired at a target more than 12km away is just a Hail Mary spray'n'pray.

As a very broad general rule (up to tier 7/8) the ideal range for a BB is 12km. Close enough to reliably hit your target but far enough away to not get torped.

Yeesh.  My Nassau has trouble hitting things at 4 klicks.

What are some good commander skills to take at each level for each class?

Because the BBs of each nation have slightly different flavours of playstyle there isn't a single best answer. For a Nassau captain my advice is to work towards an ideal captain for a Bismarck which means maximising the power of the secondaries. Fortunately this path of captain skills also works well with all the German BB s that lead to the Bismarck.

Preventative Maintenance.

Expert Marksman (Adrenaline Rush is viable).

BFT

AFT

Manual Secondaries

That is the basic 14 point Bismarck captain and from memory it took me until just after I got the Bismarck to get the 14 points.

For other nations and classes I recommend going with Flamu's builds on his YouTube channel.

Expert Marksman - that's the one that improves turret rotation, right?  That one seemed so small for guns above 139mm that I wasn't sure  it was worth spending the points on, but I'll give it a try.

Does anyone know if we get to keep the 2 tier 5 destroyers the Cyclone and the Anthony and the 19 point captains we got for the weekly missions???

4 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Expert Marksman - that's the one that improves turret rotation, right?  That one seemed so small for guns above 139mm that I wasn't sure  it was worth spending the points on, but I'll give it a try.

Ahem: You'll feel it.

3 hours ago, xWulffx said:

Does anyone know if we get to keep the 2 tier 5 destroyers the Cyclone and the Anthony and the 19 point captains we got for the weekly missions???

Captains will be removed along with the ships and all exp on the ships, Captains are elite so all exp you gain is free exp anyways. If you value the exp on the ships you need to convert it before the special ends.

21 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Because the turrets turn so slowly on a BB, the skill actually grants a decent percentage gain, plus it also affects your secondary turrets.

Adrenaline Rush is the only other viable choice at two points but I would wait until you have 16 points to take it. The reason is that German BBs are brawlers. They are best up close and personal (turtleback armour plus awesome secondaries minus crap sigma values = Brawler).  

The closer you get the more important every last bit of turret rotation becomes.

and AR is vital to play German BB's well.  Your accuracy at anything 15+ is shit anyways so you're going to get it.  

I have a question about the special captains that come with "special" skills - Steven Seagal and Jack Dunkirk.

Do I have to put points into their special skills to get the increased effect or do they just work even without points?

6 hours ago, map381 said:

and AR is vital to play German BB's well.  Your accuracy at anything 15+ is shit anyways so you're going to get it.  

Yeah, and to add to that: due to the armor scheme, you WILL take damage, but it will generally be 33% damage you can heal. So you can have a buffer of 'safe' ish healable HP that you can recover a decent % of if you gotta, but work that AR reload rate till the time comes when HP needs to be recovered. At high tiers you can lose your buffer pretty quick due to the high burst damage you can run into so it becomes a bit more risky to do.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, map381 said:

This comes into it's own when you get the tier 10 Grosser Kurfurst, you will be spotted, you will take damage because of how big you are and easy to hit.  Spending the bulk of the match oscillating between 1/3 and 2/3 health, AR is very valuable, especially when you use the faster firing stock guns and you have 12 to work with.  In addition, a mild AA/Secondary build will put your secondary's range out to 11.6 km, and their ROF is hasted by AR as well.

I have seen my 12 main guns reload in 20 seconds when I was at low health, that is a HUGE advantage in a match.

Of course some people will rightly criticize me for getting that damaged in a match, but German BB's are brawlers, not snipers.

10 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

AA/Secondary build will put your secondary's range out to 11.6 km, and their ROF is hasted by AR as well.

When AR was implemented this was not the case, but WG said they would make it work on secondary's. Have they done this already? 

18 minutes ago, MntRunner said:

When AR was implemented this was not the case, but WG said they would make it work on secondary's. Have they done this already? 

Supposedly last patch or the one before it.

What kind of pings do you guys show in-game?

Mine shows anywhere from 107-130 average with the occasional (today) 250-275.... :asnail: