no_name_cro

Quick questions & quick answers. [WoWS]

1,517 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Ah, might have to jump into the Brits then.  I really do like the Kuma.

The Brits are quite squishy so be warned.  At tier 5 they get smoke which helps, but they don't get HE so no fires for you.

To compensate, they get improved AP with a shorter fuze time, but it still makes combat against armored or angled targets difficult.

12 minutes ago, Hellvn said:

The Brits are quite squishy so be warned.  At tier 5 they get smoke which helps, but they don't get HE so no fires for you.

To compensate, they get improved AP with a shorter fuze time, but it still makes combat against armored or angled targets difficult.

No HE!  What?!

Nope. It's to give the line "flavor".

Well they did use a semi armor penatrating shell which is what this so suppose to be....

21 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Well they did use a semi armor penatrating shell which is what this so suppose to be....

This is true, although the 6" BL mk 23 used on the Leander's also had a HE shell as well IIRC.

12 hours ago, Hellvn said:

This is true, although the 6" BL mk 23 used on the Leander's also had a HE shell as well IIRC.

Have to buy Perth to get flaming roo shells of death at T6.

14 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

No HE!  What?!

Well if you like the nimble handling of the Kuma AND you need HE spam, then really the only boats comparable to that would be Russian DDs. But they don't have great torpedo range either.

I thought the Brits might appeal to you because torpedoes are decent, ships have good concealment and handle pretty nimbly. I didn't realize you were enamored with fire starting. lol

2 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

Well if you like the nimble handling of the Kuma AND you need HE spam, then really the only boats comparable to that would be Russian DDs. But they don't have great torpedo range either.

I thought the Brits might appeal to you because torpedoes are decent, ships have good concealment and handle pretty nimbly. I didn't realize you were enamored with fire starting. lol

I took the perk and use the flags that improve chances to set fires and cause flooding.  I always like to rapid-fire barrage a BB with my St. Louis's kajillion guns, and the Kuma does the same thing with fewer guns and armor but more speed and torps.

Not abandoning the Brits yet though.  Gonna see it through to Tier 4 or 5.

14 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Not abandoning the Brits yet though.  Gonna see it through to Tier 4 or 5.

tier 6 Leander is a fantastic ship though. Give that one a shot. :)

2 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

tier 6 Leander is a fantastic ship though. Give that one a shot. :)

Will do.

7 hours ago, cheereereerios said:

Have to buy Perth to get flaming roo shells of death at T6.

Really enjoy playing the Perth. It's the ability to be able to move whilst being in smoke that I find really useful, rather than sitting stationary in it.

On 8/10/2017 at 6:24 PM, FlorbFnarb said:

Ah, might have to jump into the Brits then.  I really do like the Kuma.

The British cruisers are very unforgiving of mistakes, and are not friendly towards new players. Also, everything below tier 6 in that line sucks.

4 minutes ago, How_Terrible said:

The British cruisers are very unforgiving of mistakes, and are not friendly towards new players. Also, everything below tier 6 in that line sucks.

Yeah, the Tier 2 thing doesn't seem to be all that good.  Guns are decent but not impressive really, agility is decent, but to be honest it doesn't feel like it could reliably solo a DD, and that's a problem with a cruiser that doesn't have the HE to go after BBs.

1 minute ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Yeah, the Tier 2 thing doesn't seem to be all that good.  Guns are decent but not impressive really, agility is decent, but to be honest it doesn't feel like it could reliably solo a DD, and that's a problem with a cruiser that doesn't have the HE to go after BBs.

I doesn't get much better until you get the Leander and Tier 6, and it doesn't get really good until you get the Fiji at Tier 7.

2 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Once you get to tier 6+ the AP wrecks DD's. It only takes about two salvos's to finish one off.

Just now, MntRunner said:

Once you get to tier 6+ the AP wrecks DD's. It only takes about two salvos's to finish one off.

Nice.

1 hour ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Nice.

Be warned. If you don't use free XP the grind to Tier 6 will make you want to kill yourself.

The only thing I hate more than in my DD than a RN CL is a Atlanta. If I see a Leander or Fiji I know I'm in for a rougher game than if I faced any other cruiser. That said don't sit in smoke pumping shells away, allot of captains are getting wise to that trick and learned how to shoot at where they see your tracers come out of. The line has a high skill floor and a high ceiling, personally on my list to try out eventually

2 minutes ago, How_Terrible said:

Be warned. If you don't use free XP the grind to Tier 6 will make you want to kill yourself.

That bad?  I haven't used a ton of free XP yet.

Save the free xp, it only takes a few games to get to tier 4. Tier four had sheltered MM, so it should be bearable. Tier five will be the biggest challenge.

1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

The only thing I hate more than in my DD than a RN CL is a Atlanta. If I see a Leander or Fiji I know I'm in for a rougher game than if I faced any other cruiser. That said don't sit in smoke pumping shells away, allot of captains are getting wise to that trick and learned how to shoot at where they see your tracers come out of. The line has a high skill floor and a high ceiling, personally on my list to try out eventually

Sweet.  And yeah, when DDs park in smoke I just shoot to where I see their shells come from.

The Emerald is sooo fragile, that any mistake you make in showing too much broadside to cruisers, or any part of your ship to a BB,  will get you wrecked.  You have to learn to hold your shots in the Emerald so as to not reveal yourself until you have a target like a BB that has just fired it's main guns at someone else, or a Cruiser that is looking the other way.  Once you start firing, rip away and begin your exit strategy of kiting away, getting behind an island, or going dark again.  The Leander is a bit tougher, and has smoke charges that get you dark quick, plus hydro to see incoming torps.  The Fiji is where the line hits an early apex, it is easily the best tier 7 cruiser, better than the Belfast in some ways as well.  If you can learn to play the Fiji well, you will probably never sell it ( or you can buy the Belfast ) it is EZ mode once you understand the role it plays.

How's the Ryujo? Played a game in the Zuiho yesterday, I did decent but was disappointed to find out that manual drops don't exist anymore, below tier 6 at least. I am still quite a bit away from actually unlocking Ryujo, so I wonder if it is worth enduring auto drops for.

12 hours ago, MntRunner said:

Save the free xp, it only takes a few games to get to tier 4. Tier four had sheltered MM, so it should be bearable. Tier five will be the biggest challenge.

The Emerald was the only ship I skipped in the RN CA line because I was aware of how awful the grind is. The Danae wasn't too bad at tier 4 because of the sheltered match making. I kept both Fiji and Leander because they're really fun ships. I haven't bought the Edinburgh yet, been spending my credits on acquiring tier 10 ships and modules.

One thing to remember about RN cruisers is that it's easy to over run your smoke. Slow to 1/3 speed before using smoke.