Rawkes

[Mega Resource] Everything I’ve learnt going from noob to unicum-recent

94 posts in this topic

It's impossible to TL;DR – I suppose the whole point is that it takes time and effort to get better, though it looks like you don't need it so much ;)

Requesting this for Sticky. Cheers for doing this man, it's really useful for those at the lower end of the chain to be able to relate to (something the purples have long since forgotten how to do). Gud poast. Also luna, l2p noob. >:D <3 

Cheers for doing this man, it's really useful for those at the lower end of the chain to be able to relate to (something the purples have long since forgotten how to do). Gud poast.

No problem, it's the least I can do after (ab)using places like WoTLabs throughout my journey – hopefully I can give something back.

Wow, this will be a great guide for me to get out of the 0wn8 level. :doge:

Key mods
If you’re polite then people will likely listen to you and follow your requests

You shouldn't call it "key" mods. This will give new players the impression that those are required for good play, while in fact - they're not.

People never listen to me regardless, if it wasn't for me being insulted by others all the time I played badly, I wouldn't have realized that I needed to stop playing like shit. That siemka bob e100 doesn't care if you ask him nicely to face his front towards the enemy or not. 

tl;dr for lazy?

TL:DR - use cheats, buy gold, pray to SerB.

/cut/

Wow, nice. Now I have something to read and maybe I'll translate it for my pubbies.

Wow, this will be a great guide for me to get out of the 0wn8 level. :doge:

I hope it's useful!

You shouldn't call it "key" mods. This will give new players the impression that those are required for good play, while in fact - they're not.

I can definitely understand that point of view. I suppose my intention was that these mods are very helpful for new players to get a better understanding of what's going on, potentially also experiencing a little less frustration. They worked for me but others might feel like they're unnecessary.

People never listen to me regardless, if it wasn't for me being insulted by others all the time I played badly, I wouldn't have realized that I needed to stop playing like shit. That siemka bob e100 doesn't care if you ask him nicely to face his front towards the enemy or not. 

You always get the odd arsehole in a game, though generally I've found that the half-decent players are happy to listen to each other without immediately resorting to insults (at least until they die and then everyone gets insulted).

Wow, nice. Now I have something to read and maybe I'll translate it for my pubbies.

Is there any way I could make it easier for translation? I'm planning to put together a simple HTML page somewhere so the content will be a little more accessible for translation.

holy shit how much free time.... have mi upboat :kitty:

Bravo! Nice topic, even sometimes players like me (with 10k battles more or less) find things that are useful or we have forgotten. I took my time to read all the post, and certainly covers every aspect a new player should do/have in mind. Upvote!

Thanks for the support! Hoping to refine the guide even further as I learn more. If anything, it's already proving useful for myself to have all my notes in one place.

Looks like I've found a good copy pasta to give to shitters when they message me after the game complaining about something or another

Looks like I've found a good copy pasta to give to shitters when they message me after the game complaining about something or another

Anything to help out! ;)

gud poast is gud

Thanks!

I feel like this post should be pinned or something for new players, it pretty much sums everything up (it seems like it would be worth mentioning a little more on vision mechanics here and no you cant cheat in this game, or atleast like you can in others as this is prettymuch a -hereiswhattonksis for newbies post) but overall is gud post 13.3/8

I have no idea how pinning works here but you're not the first to suggest that and I'd be happy to commit to updating the content if it does get pinned.

I could certainly add more about the specifics of vision mechanics and the specifics of how the client/server architecture works (and why you can't cheat like in most multiplayer games).

Thanks for the feedback!

Surely Invision Board has some ability to pin or pull together key threads? I haven't used it in many years but I would be surprised that an extension doesn't exist if it's not baked in.

My background is in Web development, hence being curious.

Nice comprehensive guide, clearly took ages, have all of my upboats...