theangrytoast

Why Do People Hate On The VK 16.02 Leopard

72 posts in this topic

I recently purchased the Leopard after having a seriously heated debate with one of my friends whose general impression of the tank is that it is a steaming hot pile of German shit. However, after playing about 20 (with a 70 xTe) games in it, I could not disagree more with him.  I love it! I just want to know if the German light tank line gets even better and also why people hate that tank so much. 

I personally enjoy the tank...Fairly mobile for it's size. The gun is lack luster in tier 8 games, but it has enough standard pen to go through the rear or side of most tanks you see. Only thing I hate about the tank is the 400, or 450m, limit on the shells travel given it is such a small caliber.

I hated the Leopard because that gun is shit-tier, it's large af, and not all that manoeuvrable. You have to be within like 100m to be able to damage your target. Many-a-game was spent getting rekt by 390 damage snapshotting-Stalin guns or shotgunned by skycancer because you need to get up close and they have all of the time in the world to aim.

I enjoyed the Leopard. 3 marked it with minimal effort for funsies. The gun can put out insane damage but you have to be VERY aware of how much gold to fire because you end up needing it for a lot of targets, and the credit expense adds up quickly if you just shoot it at everything.

Fun tank though, still not as bad as the current 2801.

I enjoyed the Leopard. 3 marked it with minimal effort for funsies. The gun can put out insane damage but you have to be VERY aware of how much gold to fire because you end up needing it for a lot of targets, and the credit expense adds up quickly if you just shoot it at everything.

Fun tank though, still not as bad as the current 2801.

How bad is the VK 28.01... I have enough free xp to go straight to the RU or SPC1 but I am not about that free xp life.  Should I skip it? 

It  may be fun, but it isn't good. It's a relic of like 30+ patches ago, and they forgot to actually balance it while nerfing 105mm HEAT from the M4/PZ4. It really needed that extra 50 pen to be good. As it is, the tank is just okay. Completely outclassed by T37/Type 64/almost every other t6 light tank in the game. 

its a funny tank but not good

the pen is too bad, the burst damage is unexceptional, it takes forever to reload giving it a pathetic effective dpm and it is rather big

Ots a great tank when you know how to play it, Its gun s actually great. Its sheer Dmg capability means getting to the sides or rears of even high tiers wrecks there day. When you face T6`s, its simple slaughter.

Also its pen is good IMO for what it is. 90mm can hurt anything at T7 and can hurt from the side most anytanks. Also it has pretty large DMG potential in a burst. 12 shells @ 30 DMG can seriously murder other scouts if they just get hit a tiny bit. Also it causes a lot of fires I notice, almost 3x as many as my other scouts because sheer number of rng rolls.

Its not as OP as it once was, and it suffers from the ELC domination and other stard like the Dhaffee, but on its own it is a very solid low tier scout IMO.

It  may be fun, but it isn't good. It's a relic of like 30+ patches ago, and they forgot to actually balance it while nerfing 105mm HEAT from the M4/PZ4. It really needed that extra 50 pen to be good. As it is, the tank is just okay. Completely outclassed by T37/Type 64/almost every other t6 light tank in the game. 

Yeah besides ramming and occasional bullying of other scouts the Vk is a has been. 100mm pen is just not enough for a tank that relies on the alpha. With the Leo`s auto its assumed some wont pen, but when your reload is super slow you need to be sure you pen. Also T37 just eats it alive as Pompous said.

Also lights used to not be camo rated by size but arbitrary numbers. After HD reworks they reset camo values on size and thats a no go. Hell M48 got like a 35% camo nerf. And the Vk is bigger than some meds.

The Sp is a good tank, but a little awkward for a light tank, with AMX 13 series mobility (Somewhat sluggish) and the meh gun handling, in exchange for a solid damage and pen 90mm. I don't feel much at home with it and cannot wait to move up to the RU.

Its a shitty tank all around, the gun has barely enough penetration to go through the ass of the russkie heavies, and you need to be ~10 meters beind them to even hit your shots because the accuracy and the bloomvalues are dreadfull.

It can be fun to hit and penetrate against certain german TDs but other than that it simply gets outclassed by every other tier 5 light tank, worst DPM AND penetration is a bad combination to have...

As for te DerpVK at tier 6, it is a shitty tank too but it is quick and has a derp gun which makes it that much more fun to play, for me it is a keeper and I wouldnt skip it if I were you.

Well it only took me about a day to finish the grind to the VK 28.01 and it didn't kill my WN8 or WR, so I think  I will sell it and keep it in the back of my head as a crappy but fun tank to play. 

*Edit: Hooray my title changed... its now worse then 'Tanker with Training Wheels'

Edited by theangrytoast
Noticed title changed!

Does anyone remember when Cuni was praising the Leopard so much

I do, cause the things fucking fun, Leopard Luchs, I 3 marked it in no time too.

After playing AW though, I really with it had more dpm, then it'd be great.

From my experience in the Baby Panther, I find it to be a tiny troll tank. It's not really designed to be taken seriously, and let's be fair... if you do go up against anything that's over a tier bigger than you, in this adorable fat kitten, you will quickly be splatted about all over the place. :3

That being said, it's average compared to things like the Chaffee or the MT-25, which have more suitable guns for the tier and can carry considerably better.

I loved the Leopard and plan on buying it again some day.  When top tier, you can seriously dominate the match.  When bottom tier, you scout and assassinate arty.  It's gun is always good enough to pwn other scouts and if your clip isn't enough, you can always ram them. 

I enjoyed it when i decided to stop trying to scout in it without an adeguate crew, put a spall liner on it and yolo-rammed/bullied other scouts and lighter tanks (i thrown a 12t down a cliff once)... Still, in the hands of a mediocre or worse playerplayer (read as "me") it's just awful... Even with 2k battles i could make the luchs somewhat work, but the leopard was just hell until the last yolo matches... Maybe now that i'm little better it would be easier and maybe even enjoyable, but there will be still lingering bad memories

The burst damage and pen is lacking against higher tiers, and active scouting is a death sentence unless you're working with really solid cover. But fun tank is fun. Unlike the Vk 2801 it can actually do damage in its tier spread without copious sprem.

I liked it.

Not as powerfull tier-for-tier as the Luchs (but then again, what is ? Why the hell does the Luchs even get tier IV games, lol), but still a fun tank.

Not enjoying the VK 28 a lot, tbh :/

The burst damage and pen is lacking against higher tiers, and active scouting is a death sentence unless you're working with really solid cover. But fun tank is fun. Unlike the Vk 2801 it can actually do damage in its tier spread without copious sprem.

What are you talking about? The HEAT on the 2801 is very situational, the HE does the work most of the time.

I can't understand how some of you actually can enjoy Vk 28.01, I looked forward for this tank, because, you know, derp and shit- but wow, no fking way. 1k wn8 averange first 10 game, blargh

I can't understand how some of you actually can enjoy Vk 28.01, I looked forward for this tank, because, you know, derp and shit- but wow, no fking way. 1k wn8 averange first 10 game, blargh

It's pretty fun once you get used to the derp gun.  I got pretty good with it by the end of its grind and picked up a Radley Walters with it once.