painless

Izumo support group

18 posts in this topic

So... I heard terrible things about Izumo.  Loads and loads of horror stories about never-ending suffering with this inflatible semi-buoyant cardboard coffin..

Knowing i'm not good or very capable player, and i play solo i saved and transfered xp so i can at least skip the stock grind. Got the last hull. Main battery mod 1;  GFCS1; Damage control 1&2 and saving for main battery mod 3. Read all available Izumo threads to pluck out any hints and tips and after 2 games   i don't know how i'm going to do it through this valley of the tears.

First game did 44 k dmg; second 30k. In first game realized turning is not really an option as it takes forever, and that i will need to make peace with the fact that i'm gonna be ballanced by carriers every single game, no one is going to pass on that juicy free dmg.. In second game i realized word burn has totaly new meaning, my God Izumo likes to burn...

I think i will try to play it in 16-18 km range, that should work as long as i am very close to friendly AA, until i have to turn? On paper this abomination has more armor then Amagi, but from what i expirienced so farr all that armor is used just as pedestal for citadel so it can be hit easier...

Help with advice or share your pain as grind to Yamato is going to be a long and horrible one for me. Possibly the worst grind ever..

Edited by painless

16-18km is too far out, you're opening yourself out to deck pens. Get closer. Anyway, here's a copy pasta of something I wrote on the official forums:

Things I do in my Izumo:

Nose towards enemy. Shift between angled enough to fire the C gun, and not-quite straight on. Try not to go dead straight on. Try to plan and time your disengagements, because your ass is grass. If you need to turn around to retreat, try to get to cover before turning, and spend as much time retreating in positions where it's difficult to fire on you. Not always easy, but if you see an opportunity, take it.

Close distance. Your accuracy is fine. Good almost. Especially compared to the shotgun the USN BBs have. Certainly good enough that you don't need the accuracy upgrade mod. But everything else about your ship is better closer up. The deck armour becomes less of an issue. The angles sharper. And you can bring your secondary guns into play. Yes their angles are stupid. But when they're firing they're very good.

Respect the secondaries: They're more than an early warning system for destroyers, they can do very respectable damage to all sorts of ships.

Slow and steady: The one thing I do very differently in the Izumo compared with other BBs, is once I get to the fight, I tend to stay very throttled down. The Izumo is so positioning dependent, that once you've got a good angle setup, you're often perfectly happy to get down to 25% power, or reverse (not stationary. Give them just a little thinking with regard to aiming). I find this true, particularly on Islands of Ice. If you continue forward, you'll expose your flanks, so be careful.

The downside with this is that the Izumo, while not slow, struggles to overcome its inertia. Low acceleration means that surprise torpedoes can be an issue. Once you're moving, you're fine (ish), until then. Ug.

Repair!: Superintendant and premium repair party. Just... non-negotiable. If you have Dreadnought flags, throw them on too. The Izumo has a huge amount of HP, and while I find I often take large amounts of damage while moving to the place I want to engage (spawning east side on Islands of Ice, for instance, is such a pain in the ass), you can usually repair vast amounts of it. It's not unusual for a repair to replace 15k hp in 20 seconds.  

Balance Aggression: This is a general battleship issue, but I find it coming into sharper focus on the Izumo. You're a 'soft' BB that does not want to be seen first. But you're also a BB that needs to be nose towards the enemy, closing. So, often have to lead pushes. But those moments can become terrifying if the people with you vanish. More so than other BB. Because other battleships can fade (especially the Amagi, who is the king of this tactic). You cannot. Once you are committed, you are committed. All that's left to you in putting it in reverse and praying. So be very, very aware of who is with you and when. 

Thank you. I am or at least i feel like i'm doing all that (except reversing, haven't tried it out yet successfully) and i still feel i would be of a lot more use in Tier 5 ship in t9 games. I guess htat comes from difference in skill between You and me, sigh...

I rarely fire C guns as i fear i will not have enough time to turn facing enemy slightly angled. I will work on that. My main problem so far are fires, not plunging fire. I have no issues with accuracy, but i have one with secondaries- in all my games so far within few minutes i had no secondaries left thanks to HE rape i'm experiencing every game.. Now thinking about it, i might really close down, it's not like Izumo can burn more..

I was even thinking about re-arranging commander skills to get -7% fire one, is it still bugged? Damn no 20% faster fire extinguishing flags are available for sale, i would have bought millions...

So, after 10 games with avg 39k dmg per game 10k gold to skip it seems like bargain of the century...

Edited by painless

I basically was once upon a time in the "omg Izumo is absolute bollocks gg Wargaming, gg for the 2nd coming of pre-buff VK4502B".

One thing you can take solace in is that you have very good guns and the armor isnt bad... once plunging fire stops being a thing, as Bathoz pointed out. In fact, at close rage, the armor is just as good as an Iowa's I'd wager. The only area where the deck armor is weak is the elevated part below the superstructure -- the foward and rear parts of the deck that aren't elevated can withstand 400mm+ guns and not get auto-penned, just like the Iowa. Also, with the superstructure damage bug removed, I'd say that both ships are on fairly even terms now... since if you crunch the numbers the two ships actually have fairly similar AA.

I find that the Izumo's biggest weakness is its vulnerability to cruisers. Due to the AA, guns and god knows what other factor; the ships as you know is extremely prone to getting set on fire by HE and losing its valuable AA and secondaries (since a lot of your secondaries double as your AA...). However, if you're on a BB vs BB fight, the Izumo does as well if not better than the Iowa thanks to the guns with better accuracy and the secondaries that just tear apart the enemy.

A little thing to do about that weakness to Cruiser HE would be to prioritise killing Cruisers when you can. Even in a team fight, unless you have like the broadside of an Iowa sailing in a straight line, it's often better to focus on killing cruisers while on your approach - they are actually the ones that will be doing the most damage to you if left unchecked. As long as you don't give your sides to BBs, their damage to you will be minimal.

The equipment combo which I found to work like a charm for me ( not sure if you've kitted your ship in another way ) are:

Main Turret Mods. 1 - Your guns get shot to hell like no other IJN ship. These are an absolute must. You might put the one for your secondaries, but main guns are worth far more.

Secondary Armaments Mods. 2 - Allows you to begin barraging people with your secondaries from much farther. You'll often find matches where you get 10k damage from secondaries and a lot of bonus from fires. Destroyers that get too close will also get torn up, although if they're in that range and you're not driving away from them, you should be dead even if you kill them...

Faster Reload Mods. 3 - The Izumo has phenomenal turret traverse speed. You can lose a bit to exponentially increase your DPM. That modification for me turned the Izumo from a mediocre ship to a good one. The great guns firing at such a fast rate is 100% amazing.

Rudder Shift Mod. - The Izumo turns like a whale. I found that the lack of mobility was killing me more than fires... even if the latter was doing me more damage at times. Fires can be dealt with to a certain extent. That extra turning ability to not get frontally citadelled while fighting an Iowa is a lot more important, as well as turning to retreat when your entire team decided to high-tail it out of a flank.

Also, if you don't have the 4th Level Secondary and AA range enhancement skill... get that immediately. The Izumo's secondaries and AA are both amazing, the AA being especially undervalued.

Here's an example of the Izumo actually doing good things. Not sure if the replay will work with the latest patch that came out.

Also, use that third turret. Just time it so that the enemy wastes their shot while you're giving them your front. Even, angling slightly is still a reasonably thing to do on the Izumo because the armor on its sides is pretty thick.

Edit: Maybe @Mesrith could give some input too. He's the best Izumo player on Wotlabs afaik.

Edited by Yakumo_san

Just gonna leave this here.

huh_zpsqw7gxh7l.jpg

Of course, experience (with all the flags and prem etc added in) is a weird measure. I suspect it shows my tendency to get my win for the day and then leave the Izumo alone, more than anything else. Also, as I am super aggressive, my wins tend to be good.

Had my first (and only) decent game with Izumo today, 120k dmg, even won, but mainly because enemy team was well, full of retards- Montana standing still at 8 km broadside, NorthCal doing same at 11 km, both ignoring me- i got 1 citadel on Monty but one.salvoed Nor-Cal with 4 citadel salvo.. and there were no CVs . After that got in a game with 3 Izumos on my team vs enemy with 3 Iowas , guess how that ended?.

If enemy team is at least semi-competent i am burning, and fast. Going in to 8-10 km range i am not better, but less pathetic.  I'll have to play Murmansk and Torpitz alot to get main battery mod 3 and rudder shift.. Until i buy that i decided, for sanity to play until i get daily 1.5, but not more then 3 games with Poison Izzy..

Edited by painless

Some good posts already, but my quick Izumo tips:

• Never fight at deck penetration range if you can help it.  The deck sucks.  If anybody ever wants a good bet for 24km citadels with spotter plane up, shoot at the Izumo.
  • Never fight in secondary range against a tier 8+ battleship if you can help it.  The armor is alright when angled but it still takes a lot of non-citadel penetrating damage.  The sweet spot is probably 8-16km.
  • Enjoy the secondaries but don't rely on them.  The Izumo feels a lot more vulnerable up close to AP or HE spam than the Yamato does.  The secondaries also get blasted to hell frequently, and it sucks to see a destroyer at 7km, then realize only two of them on that side are still firing.
  • Take Main Battery Accuracy and Main Battery +reload/-traverse mods.  The main guns are actually really good when they're buffed to fire every 25 seconds and shoot 9 shells from turrets that are all located together.
  • If there are no planes around (a lot more common these days), it's actually ok to pretend you're a tank and park your Izumo behind an island with your front angled, turrets firing, but superstructure hidden.  Just don't get surprised by a destroyer when you're at 0 knots.

Lately i am doing  ok with Izumo, so i'm no more useless burden to my team, but i still loathe this ship.. I play just a couple of games daily, as playing it feels more like a job and less like playing/entertainment..

I'm around 170k from the Yamato currently and I can say the ship is a little underwhelming for her tier. The weak deck armor I can live with if it wasn't for the main turrets getting knocked out permanently all the time. I purchased the C hull last night which I was not planning on doing. Not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but the C hull seems to have better dispersion even though the stats are the same. I tend to play my Izumo more dangerously by showing broadsides between enemy salvos. I just can't stand firing 6 guns because you get that one turret who completely derps on the dispersion most of the time. I would say Mesrith's guide is spot on.

Once you get used to the turrets, I think I love this thing.  The AA is serviceable, even against 9/10 CV's.  And OMG the Citadel capability is real.  Got 5 on an Iowa in one salvo earlier today

I'm done.

And I really enjoyed it. Really solid ship. Not nearly the horror show I was led to believe it would be.

I bought this ship after unlocking it this weekend. Good thing Yamato is on the other side. I free exp the first hull upgrade. I am surprised the guns don't behave like the Amagi. Since the grind is long, I will figure them out. I also, unlocked the Fletcher, but no money for that. Thanks for the above advise. Think I will get engine upgrade next for the better agility. Any suggestions on upgrade sequence would be appreciated.

if you can get the skill points, go all-in with secondaries using the 5 point secondary skill. Should obliterate small ships just like a Yamato.

One of the worst Izumo problems for me is: I want to get close, not sniper. And I do so whenever possible.

But then I start to lose my turrets. Only 1 if I am lucky, once I lost all 3.