_EXODUZ_

Is it worth buying IS-4?

94 posts in this topic

I see the OP ended up buying one. For those reading and still considering the same question...

I love this tank, it's my favorite Tier 10 Heavy and I have the E-100, IS-7 and T57 as well. It's quite idiot proof in the hands of a teal scrub like myself, better DPG, Avg blocked and WN8 than any of my other 10's, pubbies really do have no idea where to shoot it, waffles unload full clips into it and get one pen if lucky, it needs hull down where possible and extreme angling when not.

I don't normally upload replays but this game had me grinning for quite some time, MM handed me a slam dunk where I got to YOLO hard up the 2 line on Fiery Salient and shit on Tier 8's all game while a 140 repeatedly failed to pen me because I kept the front left corner of the tank pointed at him pretty much the whole time.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2527632#fiery_salient-cronk-is-4

HT-15-2 complete with honors without taking any damage at all. Found that one game where 1/2 the team wasn't camped hard on the 2 line and they got severely punished for it.

Not the best armor example as most of the people shooting at me where tier 8 and had fuck all chance of penning me, but the armor is just as capable of bouncing pubbie JPE100's, E4's and Waffles all day as well. I've had those games too but lost the replays due to a rage uninstall unfortunately :damn:

This tank is a steaming pile of shit. Haha, you thought the IS-4 had armor? Think again, comrade))

Glorious IS-7 defeat inferior armor of slower, shittier tier 10 RU heavy)))))

Yqst3gL.jpg

On 17-3-2016 at 11:45 PM, Vetro said:

This tank is a steaming pile of shit. Haha, you thought the IS-4 had armor? Think again, comrade))

Yqst3gL.jpg

its because your put capitalist techo paint makes the glorious soviet steel weak by corruption!

On ‎17‎.‎3‎.‎2016 at 0:45 AM, Vetro said:

Yqst3gL.jpg

By the looks of it you´ve had a lot of bounces on both the turret and frontal plate and only penetrating hit according to your hitpoints is that single IS-7 shot... weak yes :P

This is a really hard tank for me to drive on maps that have hilly terrain. How to you overcome this tanks terrible gun depression?

On 4/5/2016 at 8:17 AM, crapcannon said:

This is a really hard tank for me to drive on maps that have hilly terrain. How to you overcome this tanks terrible gun depression?

I have had no issues with its gun depression. It has a forward mounted turret and -6, that should be plenty. Actually climbing upwards some ridges or hills to you can maximize its armor angles if you can hide at least part of your lower plate while doing it. Frontal plate itself on level ground or if shot from above is nothing spectacular. However if you can use that gun depression and increase the frontal plate angle even more it becomes very tough to penetrate. Just look at Vetros picture above, I bet he´s been doing some little ridge peek-a-booing with The IS-4 and only got penetrated once in the turret face. A lot of ricochet marks riddle the upper plate and turret though.

On 4/5/2016 at 7:17 AM, crapcannon said:

How to you overcome this tanks terrible gun depression?

You realize it's not bad gun depression. Just don't poke way too steep hills, this isn't Dicker max.

I remember back in the day when it was a tier 9 we would reverse sidescrape this tank because the turret is quite far forward, is this still viable on maps like Ensk and Himmelsdorf in the current meta?

33 minutes ago, iEatCrumpets said:

I remember back in the day when it was a tier 9 we would reverse sidescrape this tank because the turret is quite far forward, is this still viable on maps like Ensk and Himmelsdorf in the current meta?

tOiyFb5.png

Something like this works I guess. You gotta watch that step on rear of hull to not be exposed, since that is easy penetration.

This tank is very good for the current weekly blocking mission. "Overangling" the side and letting pubbies shoot it makes nice amount of blocked each game. Also the rest of the tank is not total slow shit like the Maus. I just wonder why these are still so rare in pub battles and that so many people still have no clue how to deal with this tank.

24 minutes ago, TohtoriP said:

This tank is very good for the current weekly blocking mission.

I'm not sure when wotlabs started recording blocked damage by tank - and hence how big the sample sizes are - but my is4 is a clear leader in damage blocked at ~2.5k. I suspect it's rarity and relative difficulty in snapshotting help it out.

Just picked this up.  It's my first tier 10 tank, period.  Only three battles in, seems to be a pretty boss sidescraper, very nice gun, certainly better handling than the same gun on the ST-I.  The overall sluggishness is no surprise at all given the tanks which came before it, so I think you just have to be careful not to push far enough that you get exposed.  Running vstab, vents, rammer.

Is this actually worth it currently?

Haven't played it, love what the tank looks like, kinda want to play it but the more I look at it the more it seems decidedly second rate compared to the IS7

I get that it sidescrapes well, but it's slower , front armor looks less impressive (my STA1 put 3 HEAT shells through the front of one this weekend using autoaim) 

Turret looks like it has a huge overmatch zone,plus it has cupolas (seriously, how are the IS7 cupolas not modeled?) 

Gun has better aim time, but considerably worse soft stats, (although 340 pen gold round makes things much easier)

And it's slower.

I have read this topic, and consensus from many of you (who are far better players than I am) seems to be that it's worth getting..but looking at the stats..I'm not seeing it.

Just trying to figure out why people think this is worth it (aside from the "its great at sidescraping") before I free XP past the KV4. (110Kish to unlock the KV4 top modules, 160ish to jump to the ST)

1 hour ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Is this actually worth it currently?

Haven't played it, love what the tank looks like, kinda want to play it but the more I look at it the more it seems decidedly second rate compared to the IS7

I get that it sidescrapes well, but it's slower , front armor looks less impressive (my STA1 put 3 HEAT shells through the front of one this weekend using autoaim) 

Turret looks like it has a huge overmatch zone,plus it has cupolas (seriously, how are the IS7 cupolas not modeled?) 

Gun has better aim time, but considerably worse soft stats, (although 340 pen gold round makes things much easier)

And it's slower.

I have read this topic, and consensus from many of you (who are far better players than I am) seems to be that it's worth getting..but looking at the stats..I'm not seeing it.

Just trying to figure out why people think this is worth it (aside from the "its great at sidescraping") before I free XP past the KV4. (110Kish to unlock the KV4 top modules, 160ish to jump to the ST)

Many people can't seem to be able to pinpoint one reason but the tank gets good winrate. It's short so harder to hit, bounces a lot even if you don't feel in control over what bounces and what not, the tank is fast enough given the armor. It's just a good package combined. Also turret weakspots are a smaller problem than you think

Its not bad, and it wins well because it has very rare combination of all around thick armor + high health AND good enough top speed to not make it slow as shit and be actually able to relocate.

However, its not fun to play at all. It's gun is utter trash; it has terrible bloom, long aim time, low DPM and meh accuracy. For that kind of gun you expect alpha, but 440 alpha is no longer very impressive either.

While it wins well id argue that its probably one of the worst tier 10 heavies if not the worst. Its not bad as tank itself though, its just that tier 10 HTs just rock now (lol maus), and some of them are not really heavies either (50b)

The main reason why i bought it was to get it on discount, more or less, and then just wait for that planned IS-4 and ST-I swap.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I think I like the gun better than the one on teh IS7- (simply as 340 pen is better for my feeble aiming skills), but that's not saying much ~and I'm not sure it would play that much better, looking at it's soft stats

And I get tht the armor is betetr all around, but it looks like it would be easy enough for most T10 meds to pen using standard ammo, They can pen an IS7 as well, but they're at least going to have to aim for a bit.

Think I'm going to do the opposite of you Leggasiini, I'll wait until the line is switched, and see how the tanks end up..

11 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Its not bad, and it wins well because it has very rare combination of all around thick armor + high health AND good enough top speed to not make it slow as shit and be actually able to relocate.

However, its not fun to play at all. It's gun is utter trash; it has terrible bloom, long aim time, low DPM and meh accuracy. For that kind of gun you expect alpha, but 440 alpha is no longer very impressive either.

While it wins well id argue that its probably one of the worst tier 10 heavies if not the worst. Its not bad as tank itself though, its just that tier 10 HTs just rock now (lol maus), and some of them are not really heavies either (50b)

The main reason why i bought it was to get it on discount, more or less, and then just wait for that planned IS-4 and ST-I swap.

In terms of WR it was one of the best heavies on t10 funny enough. The gun bloom and dpm are what kill the fun of playing it but it wins because it isn't worse at blocking a flank than a Maus while being more mobile so it can flex back

I have it and the IS-7, and do alright in it, but 9/10 times I'd rather be in an IS-7.  The gun handling is absolute shit tier - tier 10s should be banned from having a gun this dysfunctional.  The IS-7's gun is derpy as fuck and the IS-4 makes it feel like a Patton.  Not to mention the god awful DPM - its reload is .1 seconds faster than the Maus with 50 less alpha, and about 1.6 seconds slower than the 113 with the same alpha.  The armor is trash against 10s unless you're sidescraping; it's flat and people will not hesitate to load gold immediately.  Angled at 60 degrees a Russian medium will pen your upper plate 50% of the time.  It has 2 things and 2 things only - all around decent armor and hit points.  If it weren't for the little bit of speed it would be total garbage. 

That said, I don't regret buying it.  I still take it out, but it's just.... not good compared to other 10s.  It's been powercreeped hard. 

5 hours ago, cavman276 said:

I have it and the IS-7, and do alright in it, but 9/10 times I'd rather be in an IS-7.  The gun handling is absolute shit tier - tier 10s should be banned from having a gun this dysfunctional.  The IS-7's gun is derpy as fuck and the IS-4 makes it feel like a Patton.  Not the mention the god awful DPM - its reload is .1 seconds faster than the Maus with 50 less alpha, and about 1.6 seconds slower than the 113 with the same alpha.  The armor is trash against 10s unless you're sidescraping; it's flat and people will not hesitate to load gold immediately.  Angled at 60 degrees a Russian medium will pen your upper plate 50% of the time.  It has 2 things and 2 things only - all around decent armor and hit points.  If it weren't for the little bit of speed it would be total garbage. 

That said, I don't regret buying it.  I still take it out, but it's just.... not good compared to other 10s.  It's been powercreeped hard. 

Thanks, kinda what I figured, as I said I penned one 3 times frontally with my STA1, using autoaim, obviously got lucky, and it is 275 HEAT, but still, would have been very unlikely to do that to pretty much any other T10 heavy.

Love what it looks like, but it just seems so...meh.

On 5/1/2017 at 3:59 PM, leggasiini said:

Curiously, in the Tier 10 elimination thread from last Summer, @RichardNixon posted the winrate numbers which had this as the highest winrate tank for unicums, and I think it was the third highest for superunicums.  So whether it's good/bad may be somewhat subjective, but clearly really good players can and do win a ton in it.

On 2.05.2017 at 11:13 AM, cavman276 said:

I have it and the IS-7, and do alright in it, but 9/10 times I'd rather be in an IS-7.  The gun handling is absolute shit tier - tier 10s should be banned from having a gun this dysfunctional.  The IS-7's gun is derpy as fuck and the IS-4 makes it feel like a Patton.  Not to mention the god awful DPM - its reload is .1 seconds faster than the Maus with 50 less alpha, and about 1.6 seconds slower than the 113 with the same alpha.  The armor is trash against 10s unless you're sidescraping; it's flat and people will not hesitate to load gold immediately.  Angled at 60 degrees a Russian medium will pen your upper plate 50% of the time.  It has 2 things and 2 things only - all around decent armor and hit points.  If it weren't for the little bit of speed it would be total garbage. 

Enough surviability to stall enemy push + enough speed to flex is all really needed to win in corridor meta. 

I would say this tank is on the short list for a buff.  There is just no reason for the 113 to have essentially the same gun with so much better dpm and handling.  With so many people playing the KV line, this tank should be a lot more common.

I agree the gun needs a buff. I bet WG goes overboard and buffs armor and gun. The gun is really trolling me on my current acc but the crew was setup by a retard so that's probably the real cause.

Only 30-some-odd games in, I am already thinking of selling this and going back to the ST-I.  I just don't feel like I'm contributing to my teams at all - as a tier 10 heavy, I feel like I should at least be holding a flank/tying up multiple enemies, but I am neither surviving long enough nor doing enough damage to feel like I'm helping.  I realize that 30+ games is neither statistically significant enough a sample size from which to draw conclusions, nor is it enough for me to feel like I've "gotten" the tank, but I am just finding this easily the most frustrating of my tier 10s - I'd wager there have been two out of those games where I felt like I played the proper role of a top tier heavy, in the others I can only imagine the extent to which my teammates were likely cursing me.  At the very least, I'm going to let this sit in ye olde garage for a while.  I don't feel like it's the tank that needs a buff, in my case at least it's the player.