_EXODUZ_

Is it worth buying IS-4?

94 posts in this topic

On 3.5.2017 at 3:51 AM, Tanager said:

Curiously, in the Tier 10 elimination thread from last Summer, @RichardNixon posted the winrate numbers which had this as the highest winrate tank for unicums, and I think it was the third highest for superunicums.  So whether it's good/bad may be somewhat subjective, but clearly really good players can and do win a ton in it.

I like the tank. SirFoch does not. End of story.

It is not a flexible multi-role tank, and does not bring a lot of wows or blehs. It is just consistently decent, which is good for winning. The fun factor leaves much to be desired, however.

Have they mentioned this getting buffs? It's one of those tanks I want (looks cool) but it just seems so...meh, even in the hands of much better players than I am, it always sems like a free damage tank as I can just keep putting 265 pen shells through it's front hull.

12 minutes ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Have they mentioned this getting buffs? It's one of those tanks I want (looks cool) but it just seems so...meh, even in the hands of much better players than I am, it always sems like a free damage tank as I can just keep putting 265 pen shells through it's front hull.

At a guess they'll wait until those grinding the newly buffed is7 need something else to focus on, then they'll buff it. Balance for balance's sake is no longer a primary concern.

1 hour ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

I honestly liked the ST-I better and think the ST-I is much stronger tier-for-tier.  I am thinking of selling my IS-4 to fund either a T10 or doom turtle.

I finally sold this thing.  180 games and a 40% WR (yes, you read that correctly) is a sign that this tank, while apparently pretty fab in the hands of great players, is just not something that suits me.  I cannot seem to make it work, and at this point, I have other tier 10s which I actually enjoy playing - something I don't think I'll ever say about the IS-4.  This is the first time I've sold a tier 10, but it's time to cut my (very significant) losses.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:21 AM, Tanager said:

I honestly liked the ST-I better and think the ST-I is much stronger tier-for-tier.  I am thinking of selling my IS-4 to fund either a T10 or doom turtle.

I like how the HD ST-I now has a thicker UFP than the IS-4. Never change Wargaming

On 12/9/2017 at 2:04 PM, Tanager said:

I finally sold this thing.  180 games and a 40% WR (yes, you read that correctly) is a sign that this tank, while apparently pretty fab in the hands of great players, is just not something that suits me.  I cannot seem to make it work, and at this point, I have other tier 10s which I actually enjoy playing - something I don't think I'll ever say about the IS-4.  This is the first time I've sold a tier 10, but it's time to cut my (very significant) losses.

You might want to use an exception and recover the tank as the exceptions for recovering non-premium vehicles is going away starting January 1st. Plus IS-4 is strongly rumored to be replaced so you'll have a free new tank.

Just now, DirtyACE7 said:

You might want to use your exception and get the tank back as the exceptions for recovering non-premium vehicles is going away starting January 1st. Plus IS-4 is strongly rumored to be replaced so you'll have a free new tank.

Oooh, yeah.  I've never done this - do I just submit a support ticket and say, "gimme back my tank?"

1 minute ago, Tanager said:

Oooh, yeah.  I've never done this - do I just submit a support ticket and say, "gimme back my tank?"

Yes, just submit a ticket but also make sure you have the required credits to recover it which I think is around 3.1 million.

5 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

You might want to use an exception and recover the tank as the exceptions for recovering non-premium vehicles is going away starting January 1st. Plus IS-4 is strongly rumored to be replaced so you'll have a free new tank.

Replaced with what?

Just got this tank. For the longest time I thought this thing was a generalist heavy - I couldn't have been more wrong. This thing is a fast brick which exists for the sole reason of rushing B and holding that point until the end of eternity. And I have to say, it's surprisingly effective in that role, especially given its rather doubtful reputation.

On 26/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, lavawing said:

Just got this tank. For the longest time I thought this thing was a generalist heavy - I couldn't have been more wrong. This thing is a fast brick which exists for the sole reason of rushing B and holding that point until the end of eternity. And I have to say, it's surprisingly effective in that role, especially given its rather doubtful reputation.

It's very underrated imo. The side armour is insane and the turret is very strong if you manage to hide the overmatchable area. What people see it a tank with a bad gun (compared to chinese ones) and a weak UPF. What they dont know is that if angled correctly is very hard to pen with 330-40 Heat (only tds can sort of go trough the shoulder) and when sidescraping is a beast. I see these things litteraly driving sideways and not giving a fuck, bouncing like there is no tomorrow. Another thing about the Ufp is that it becomes very strong by just angling it up. 

On 26/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, lavawing said:

It's very underrated imo. The side armour is insane and the turret is very strong if you manage to hide the overmatchable area. What people see it a tank with a bad gun (compared to chinese ones) and a weak UPF. What they dont know is that if angled correctly is very hard to pen with 330-40 Heat (only tds can sort of go trough the shoulder) and when sidescraping is a beast. I see these things litteraly driving sideways and not giving a fuck, bouncing like there is no tomorrow. Another thing about the Ufp is that it becomes very strong by just angling it up. 

On 3/3/2018 at 9:47 AM, nabucodonsor said:

I clearly need to spend some time with replays, b/c I think I've tried these strategies without much luck.  I so badly want to like this tank.

So...I have been playing this quite a bit lately.  I think I was making a number of mistakes, not least of which was being too aggressive and thinking this was a standin for the is7, which it isn't.  It is not getting played all that much on NA (as of this morning, only about 9 individuals, yes, 9, as in nine, had played enough games to get ranked in it for July, and the stats aren't all that competitive), but I think that's a shame, b/c I do think it's actually rather good (big change in opinion for me).

It really is a defensive bulwark - the armor is amazingly troll, and if you can get your hull angled slightly upwards, that (a) makes your UFP much harder to pen and (b) hides your turret roof.  I've pulled my WR up from 40% to 45% (baby steps, people), and I just got my first ever MOE on a tier 10:

HLQEdcg.png

I wouldn't mind some better gun handling/alpha, but the gun is entirely workable.  On the T10, the same gun feels amazing, on this, it just feels workable, but that's okay.  You're still more mobile than the bricks (and more flexible, too).

I'm growing to like this thing.

I'm currently 8th in NA for July - but that doesn't say much.  15th is 32% with < 1k dpg.  It seems that really good players have forgotten about this tank.