Canoodian

T-34-3 First impression: A solid and underrated premium tank.

192 posts in this topic

AnnoCh14_T34_3.png

Background: I just recently started doing tournaments largely as an alternative to cw requiring much less time and politics for significantly more gold and In my opinion, fun. All this while I had the IS-6 being my primary credit grinding work horse with the best mix of ease of use, reliability and fun. While the IS-6 was great, after 2k battles in it and with the new changes in the game making armour more common place the IS-6, while a great tank became boring and fell out of favour. This in turn has lead to me  starting to experiment with my new found source  of gold.  As a result, Ive been slowly increasing the size of my premium tank collection with each passing week so I could have a new flavour to taste, keeping grinding credits for tournaments fun and exciting.

Slowly, Ive built up a decent collection of many of the available in game  purchasable premiums.  The first tank I got was the mod 1 out of sheer boredom, specifically to grind my Russian med crews and it was ok though a decent stat padder.  The second was the FCM 50t which is amazing and a welcome addition to my credit grinders section as was the third tank I got, the t34. After this  there came a problem. I had seemingly gotten all the tier 8 premium tanks I deemed to be good. I unfortunately... or fortunately was wrong.

For weeks I had a plat mate gush at me about a tank generally deemed as weak, or a poor mans type 59. A tank many said had abysmal gun performance and was impossible to manage due to the lack of gun depression. That mate would slowly break down the wall of apathy built up around the tank letting it move itself into the  "meh maybe if I have enough gold il get it eventually or start going down the Chinese medium line" category.

It was in this category for weeks, ignored and yet to be purchased when I started to miss the ease of playing the is-6, a bully tank with pref mm and a beastly gun with amazing alpha. That is when I decided to take it out for a spin to do some easy rolling. The rolling was not easy. Sure, Im sure I was simply a bit rusty having not played the tank for what seemed like eternities but what happened is the primary reason for the change of mind I had which led me to buy the T-34-3. The IS-6, while I manage to make my mostly standard ammo loadout work (only 8 apcr), simply became the bullied when facing tanks like the e75, sti or type 4. Unfortunately, on my first game in a long time in that tank those are exactly the tanks I ran into. I chose an area where flank shots would be plentiful and it would be unlikely for all to appear, but yet they did and I right there knew my game was over. The IS-6, while decently mobile for a heavy, simply was not fast enough to properly shift flanks to squeeze out a decent amount of damage from that game. The Is-6 with its amazing qualities, was still not a medium.

This is where the T-34-3 comes in. A pref medium tank (The only true pref medium 8 in the game for purchase and a dying breed) with the same gun as the is-6 with a better gold round and better gun handling which only trades a second of reload off the is-6s ~10 and is reasonably mobile? That sounds like a great deal. Sure the 3 degrees of gun depression, lack of hull armour and terrible module damage are bad, but they all could be minimized with the right type of play.  "Thats it", I decided. "Im getting a mat... T-34-3.

Another week went by and another set of tourneys was won. The opportunity was right there. For my first time playing in a weekday warfare we managed to swing first place by the skin of our.. it was pretty much or amazing tank comp most other teams thought too unreliable. Any how, with the winnings there, I got the T-34-3, one of the tanks many say you should never buy, like the legitimately bad lowe or sta-2.

From the first game I knew I had made the right choice. the 11000 gold plus the price of switching over my type 62 crew (the only chinese crew I have) was worth it. This tank certainly has issues, but the selling point of being a mobile is-6 isnt too misleading at all. It even has low wn8 requirements for the enjoyment of statpadders everywhere.

KY5GgiY.png

Armour:At tier 8, while its armour isnt amazing, angled, you can be an absolute bully to tier 6 and 7 tanks and can bounce  some tier 9s hull down. Sure getting penned in the front right side of your tank will give you a very, very bad day (as thats where the ammo rack and fuel tank are located), but for a medium tank, this armour is definitely above average despite the absolutely atrocious module damage that will have you raging time and time again at your twice busted ammo rack from light tanks or complete ammorack detonations from large caliber vehicles. Only a tiny bit salty

Gun performance:As a medium, the gun handling is sloppy at best and the extremely slow shell velocity on all shells  combined with the fairly meagre 175 standard penetration at first looks is very off putting, but if you are used to this type of gun, like on the 112 and is-6, having it on a medium tank with even better soft stat characteristics (T-34-3, IS-6,112) makes for a very interesting proposition.

r5GIInX.png

With 390 alpha you have the ability to absolutely decimate other mediums of the same tier in trading. 230-250 for 390, simply is a bad proposition for enemy medium tanks  particularly if you factor in a few bounces on your well angled armour. Sure this gun isnt the best for sniping long range, but the high alpha means that even if youre forced to tank with the heavies, you can trade above your belt and shots of opportunity add up fast.

Mobility: Unlike the IS-6 and like other mediums in its class the T-34-3 is decently mobile. The top speed of 50 certainly isnt anything to write home about and its lukewarm acceleration wont win any drag races, but considering youre carrying a 122mm gun and are just around the same speed of the type 59 (actually a tiny bit better acceleration wise) its  not terrible and allows you to transport 390 hp of hurt all around the battlefield.

L5ocZkr.png T-34-3 vs Type 59

Conclusion: This tank is not for everyone. If you havent done the Chinese medium line or arent skilled or ready to adapt and quickly, this tank will be a terrible purchase for you and you will very much regret it. However, if you have learned via other tanks how to minimize damage to your weakpoints, block effectively using your armour and how to set up efficient trades, you will love this tank. Its a great tank with preferential mm and really the only true pref mm medium tank available so if you think you'll ever be up for it, get it while its here.

Disclosure:

I have only played a total of 54 games in this tank, many of them platooned. 

C55ofkj.png

StDyqsA.pngYOFJrRe.png

m9KwFRB.pngWotlabs profile for reference.

================================================================================================================

UPDATED STATS 480+ games: My opinion has essentially stayed the same.eNfKKb8.png

I do have to say though that what really holds this tank back is the lack of a symmetrically placed log on the rear and rolled cover strapped to the back of the turret.

Update:

Finally got my 3 marks!!!

Finally I can truly say ive mastered my favourite tank. All the heats were fired and the rages were had.

wU1aGFT.png

Edited by Canoodian
MARKS!!!

And 3. I play it from time to time, dont mind it horribly so

And 4. But I was only a green shitter and do not even play WoT anymore.

But I liked the tank.

I do like to collect premium tanks so I every tier 8 prem rank you can buy save the FCM. People say that the best credit farmer is the jt88, but I beg to differ. The t343 has enough mobility to put out enough damage to make more money than the 88. 

I really do love mine and it's the tank I've played the most games in (wait never mind that's now my e5, second most then) and you can average 60,000 credits a game if you get 2k dmg with a kill or two. I still haven't gone down the Chinese med line but IV nearly got a three skill crew only playing the 343, and half of the games I played in it were when I was a green player. 

Tl;dr I agree

Well glad someone likes it, I've tried really hard with this tank but no the negatives of this tank massively outweigh the few positive areas that you simply struggle to group together into any sort of efficiency or playstyle.

Brawling gun is fine but 50mm side armour, meh UFP, horrible module damage means brawling is extremely risky. doing 390 damage and then loosing your ammo rack and being set on fire is not "efficient trading". 

Decent turret is then ruined by -3 gun depression. . 

Good camo is ruined by mediocre view range + terrible accuracy of the gun. 

And for a supposed true medium it has so so mobility, particularly acceleration. 

BTW This thing weighs the same as T-54 proto and is only 500kg lighter than a Type 59, yet both have way more all round armour (90mm/70mm frontal armour to 100mm and 120mm fronts, 50mm sides to 80 and 90mm sides) and have pretty much the same power to weight because reasons. Apparently there are 4 very fat chinese tankers in there. 

(it's also not the gun. the D-25A weighs 2590 kg, the 100mm in the other two weighs 2257, which is 333 kg, so all that extra armour apparently weighs just over 300kg) 

IMO it either needs a proper DPM buff, so that reload should be like sub 11 seconds before rammer or it needs some armour love, giving it the same hull as the Type 59 would at least allow it brawl bully better. 

Type-59 > T-34-3.

I tried to like the T-34-3 but it's just so much inferior there is no reason to ever play it.

Even though it took me about 500 or so battles to figure it out, it became my most played premium tank and eventually my most played tank in the game.  Too bad I can't strike all the rounds it took me to learn it from my stats :D 

Well glad someone likes it, I've tried really hard with this tank but no the negatives of this tank massively outweigh the few positive areas that you simply struggle to group together into any sort of efficiency or playstyle.

Brawling gun is fine but 50mm side armour, meh UFP, horrible module damage means brawling is extremely risky. doing 390 damage and then loosing your ammo rack and being set on fire is not "efficient trading". 

Decent turret is then ruined by -3 gun depression. . 

Good camo is ruined by mediocre view range + terrible accuracy of the gun. 

And for a supposed true medium it has so so mobility, particularly acceleration. 

BTW This thing weighs the same as T-54 proto and is only 500kg lighter than a Type 59, yet both have way more all round armour (90mm/70mm frontal armour to 100mm and 120mm fronts, 50mm sides to 80 and 90mm sides) and have pretty much the same power to weight because reasons. Apparently there are 4 very fat chinese tankers in there. 

(it's also not the gun. the D-25A weighs 2590 kg, the 100mm in the other two weighs 2257, which is 333 kg, so all that extra armour apparently weighs just over 300kg) 

IMO it either needs a proper DPM buff, so that reload should be like sub 11 seconds before rammer or it needs some armour love, giving it the same hull as the Type 59 would at least allow it brawl bully better. 

Trading wise as long as you keep the right side of your tank safe, youll generally avoid serious module damage and can counce a few shots with a well armoured ufp for some tier 8 guns and most tier 6 and 7..

The turret is still decent with 3 degrees of gun depression, but thats the main trade offf most people see with the tank abd I think thats minimized with learning how to make your own gun depression (using elevation for example) and your amazing alpha.

Gun wise, yes the gun isnt very accurate, but vs most of the targets you see, you can pen the anywhere with it or load up a skill round and view range is fixed with optics. ( I actually have just been running with rammer vents verts and a 3 skill crew with bia sixth and repairs on the commander and bia repairs camo on everyone else.)

If they were to buff  this in any way, id want it to be to the modules and hull armour. The gun is fine to me. The dpm already isnt terrible. It slightly beats the types dpm actually.

Isn't the FCM the one true medium among the pref 8s?

No! FCM is a heavium and heavy technically. For medium missions it wont count! I can do the 260 fire missions with the -3 by grinding out credits whereas I cant with the fcm. It still is a great tank. Doesnt have medium camo though.

Type 59 is better, yes, but I suppose it's a bit beside the point.

The T-34-3 is legitimately a pretty good tank. For a long time I was really on the fence about giving it any kudos, but a handful of patches ago (sadly after I sold it, which I REALLY wish I hadn't) they brought the gun handling up to usable levels. It's old enough news by now that you don't hear the T-34-3 mentioned by basically anyone except Cuni, but I'd hope that it's common knowledge that the tank itself is actually one of the best premiums you can buy, and especially the best premium med.

And 6? Well, count me in. I played it on my friends account, enjoyed it.

If it would just hit and pen its shots more often, I would count it among my favorite tanks...

Edited by shutupshake

If it would just hit and pen its shots more often, I would count it among my favorite tanks...

Then run it like I do and aim your shots.

i don't think its all that bad IMO,its a good practice tank as it greatly helped me get used to the Chinese medium tanks play style as i played about a good 200 games in it before going up the medium line, so when i reached the WZ-120 and 121 it was a breeze

.:yuefei:

I personally don't want to dump credits in heat spamming it so I don't like it for that reason.

I personally don't want to dump credits in heat spamming it so I don't like it for that reason.

You'll atleast break even if you tend to pen your shots and make up for it against soft targets with AP.

AsXZsGM.jpg

There my T34-3 I usually using AP and heat only conditional when you fail to pen or overmatch.

There my T34-3 I usually using AP and heat only conditional when you fail to pen or overmatch.

I used to make AP overmatch work alot, but then they nerfed sigma...

Gun accuracy is still just horrible, having to shoot 4 fully aimed shoots to get one hit on 400m away RHM...

Ive just been playing mine with mostly ap with a 24 ap 13 heat 3 he loadout and it pens pretty reliably

Gun accuracy is still just horrible, having to shoot 4 fully aimed shoots to get one hit on 400m away RHM...

You got unlucky.

You using server cross?