Canoodian

T-34-3 First impression: A solid and underrated premium tank.

201 posts in this topic

This tank, especially with generous heat, is very fun. I like it more thab my FCM, which gets old after a while. 

Trading wise as long as you keep the right side of your tank safe, youll generally avoid serious module damage and can counce a few shots with a well armoured ufp for some tier 8 guns and most tier 6 and 7..

The turret is still decent with 3 degrees of gun depression, but thats the main trade offf most people see with the tank abd I think thats minimized with learning how to make your own gun depression (using elevation for example) and your amazing alpha.

Gun wise, yes the gun isnt very accurate, but vs most of the targets you see, you can pen the anywhere with it or load up a skill round and view range is fixed with optics. ( I actually have just been running with rammer vents verts and a 3 skill crew with bia sixth and repairs on the commander and bia repairs camo on everyone else.)

If they were to buff  this in any way, id want it to be to the modules and hull armour. The gun is fine to me. The dpm already isnt terrible. It slightly beats the types dpm actually.

No! FCM is a heavium and heavy technically. For medium missions it wont count! I can do the 260 fire missions with the -3 by grinding out credits whereas I cant with the fcm. It still is a great tank. Doesnt have medium camo though.

The gun depression has never really been an issue for me, it's always there as an annoyance but you can work around it once you've played the tank a bit.

But for the terrible gun depression I just feel you don't get a lot else in return.

I don't even mind the terrible gun handling either particularly, just brawl with it up close but I just begrudge the fact that the armour AND the mobility is worse than the Type 59 for no real reason. 

The Type 59 is like a horrible shadow that follows this tank around all the time and now the T-54 proto has arrived which despite the lack of premium MM just craps from a great height over the T-34-3 and it;s even getting a buff as well next patch. It also has a worse WR than the T-54 proto even though is has pref Mm which i think shows how poor the thing is. 

It's just a bad tank IMO that has been designed that way for no other reason than WG were scared of another Type 59 situation, but the Type situation was a long time ago and the game has moved on, you could buff the T-34-3 in several areas and it would still be far from OP.  

I'll stick with the tank just because it's a challenge, but I'm hoping once they get round to removing the thing due to the pref MM it might get another buff as the last buff hasn't done much for it. 

Edited by tajj7

The gun depression has never really been an issue for me, it's always there as an annoyance but you can work around it once you've played the tank a bit.

But for the terrible gun depression I just feel you don't get a lot else in return.

I don't even mind the terrible gun handling either particularly, just brawl with it up close but I just begrudge the fact that the armour AND the mobility is worse than the Type 59 for no real reason. 

The Type 59 is like a horrible shadow that follows this tank around all the time and now the T-54 proto has arrived which despite the lack of premium MM just craps from a great height over the T-34-3 and it;s even getting a buff as well next patch. It also has a worse WR than the T-54 proto even though is has pref Mm which i think shows how poor the thing is. 

It's just a bad tank IMO that has been designed that way for no other reason than WG were scared of another Type 59 situation, but the Type situation was a long time ago and the game has moved on, you could buff the T-34-3 in several areas and it would still be far from OP.  

I'll stick with the tank just because it's a challenge, but I'm hoping once they get round to removing the thing due to the pref MM it might get another buff as the last buff hasn't done much for it. 

What it gets in return is pref mm and a huge 390 alpha for a medium. I also think to say the 54 prot shits on it is incorrect. The 54 mod 1 doesnt get pref making it less fun, is slower and has a worse average damage per game than the 34-3. I also think we have to account for the fact that many cant get over the 3 degrees. I definitely think t-34-3>Mod1

I got my T-34-3 back a week or so ago via an exception, and I'm very happy to have done so.

To the people who think its bad, just lol. Other than for crews, there is no reason to own the FCM/CDC/any other T8 prem med except for the Type 59 if you own a T-34-3. It's considerably better than the FCM because of the utility of the turret armor, good camo, and 122mm. It's miles better than the CDC/STA-2/Panth 88 for reasons I probably shouldn't need to explain. Just as importantly, it's easy. When you play the FCM or CDC, you're working your ass off for every win, and at the end of the day you're not even doing as well as a T-34-3. It's exhausting, and is the main reason these "fun" tanks don't get picked when I'm grinding credits. I can't speak for the T-54 Prot, but from what I've heard it's woefully incompetent at T10, and I'm willing to bet the T-34-3 is better in T9 too.

The gun depression does suck, and it is a problem. You can't actually play in the hills effectively on serene coast, for example, which sucks because that's typically where the meds go and you're not gunna have fun with 250 pen HEAT against heavies on the other side of the map. However, it's not a frequent problem. You hit like a truck, have competitive effective DPM (2211 in a tier where the average is 2130), and that typical amazing T-54 esque turret/hull shape that's great for abusing cover and terrain. There's no issue with the camo, armour, or mobility, either.

Basically what I'm saying is that when you have an armored, mobile medium with 390 alpha, the game gets a lot easier than it would be in an unarmored Goliath of a tank with 230 alpha, barely any more DPM, and no camo. Any little nitpicks you might have about the tanks' aimtime, accuracy, or gun depression don't really mean all that much when the tank itself offers so much.

What fits someones play style is not always good for everyone. Personally I feel tiring to play 34-3 as horrible derpy gun and lack of depression makes me constantly miss damage dealing opportunities that would be easy to take on other t8 prem tanks. And its misleading to talk about 34-3 having good dpm, in theory yes but in reality gun soft stats make _effective_ dpm lower than tanks like fcm50/cdc/panther88.  In fact even pure dpm number is lower than competitors, 34-3 has 10% less dpm than fcm for example. Alpha is only advantage. 34-3 can literally miss side of the is6 30m away while snapshotting, whereas tanks like fcm/cdc/p88 can snapshot aimed front sprocket shoots (tracking enemy) in same situation. And lack of depression just outright removes lot of viable/good spots medium tanks usually go, forcing tank go suboptimal positions or revealing hull to take shoot whereas other tanks could stay hulldown.

This tank also needs good crew, buying this for training first china med crew makes all things in tank even worse.

Tank is not bad, but no better than fcm or cdc or p88 either. Just very different style.

Edited by sahtila

A post i made in Another topic:

Honestly the CN tier 9/10 mediums are amazing, its just more or less a challenge to learn the art of "Fake Gun Depression". but once you get that down the tanks are a force to be reckoned with. i honestly think that if you just go ahead and play the WZ-120 (preferably in platoons this time) and give it a chance you will love it, and the 121 is basically the same thing except everything is better. 

I had a ball with the line myself, now understandably some may be annoyed by the 120's gun and even more by the -3's of GD, but i had plenty of "Practice" with 122's from the IS-6/WZ-111/IS-3/IS-7-(though not a 122)/and most important the T-34-3. so i was more than used to the derpy 122 play-style, and because of the T-34-3 i had already somewhat mastered the art of "Fake Gun Depression". Plus with the 121 bad accuracy and aim time isn't and issue at all, though the gun may not be "German accurate" its nothing like what most 122's tend to be. you can actually hit shit as well as make snapshots. now firing on the move is another story, normally the 121 would do fine with firing on the move but due to the terrible Gun Depression even the slightest bump will cause your shot to go all out of whack. 

Edited yesterday at 6:38 AM by De

What it gets in return is pref mm and a huge 390 alpha for a medium. I also think to say the 54 prot shits on it is incorrect. The 54 mod 1 doesnt get pref making it less fun, is slower and has a worse average damage per game than the 34-3. I also think we have to account for the fact that many cant get over the 3 degrees. I definitely think t-34-3>Mod1

Other tanks have pref MM.

The 390 alpha is accompanied by terrible DPM. 

The mod will be in the same games as the T-34-3 and in a tier 8 and 9 game it can just bully the crap out of it.

@Rexxie "armoured mobile medium with 390 alpha", the only correct bit there is 390 alpha.

BTW VBaddict has the T-54 proto with a higher WR than the T-34-3, despite the latters premium MM which I think shows how sh*t it is. Even the Lowe and T34 win more with the CDC only just behind.

Basically enter a game in the T-34-3 and you sign up as one of the worst tier 8s there, unless someone has stupidly bought a 59-Patton. The T-54 proto gets normal MM, but for those 1 game in 5 in tier 10 well to me that's worth it compared to 100% of crap games in a crap tank that is the T-34-3 experience. 

Oh and you pay like 30% less for the privelage as well and the T-54 proto is getting a buff in 9.10.

If you want a good tier 8 premium medium the proto is 10x the tank the 3 is. 

Other tanks have pref MM.

The 390 alpha is accompanied by terrible DPM. 

The mod will be in the same games as the T-34-3 and in a tier 8 and 9 game it can just bully the crap out of it.

@Rexxie "armoured mobile medium with 390 alpha", the only correct bit there is 390 alpha.

BTW VBaddict has the T-54 proto with a higher WR than the T-34-3, despite the latters premium MM which I think shows how sh*t it is. Even the Lowe and T34 win more with the CDC only just behind.

Basically enter a game in the T-34-3 and you sign up as one of the worst tier 8s there, unless someone has stupidly bought a 59-Patton. The T-54 proto gets normal MM, but for those 1 game in 5 in tier 10 well to me that's worth it compared to 100% of crap games in a crap tank that is the T-34-3 experience. 

Oh and you pay like 30% less for the privelage as well and the T-54 proto is getting a buff in 9.10.

If you want a good tier 8 premium medium the proto is 10x the tank the 3 is. 

That winrate can be explained away with people not understanding how to use the gun depression. The proto has to see tier 10s. The t34-3 also isnt a shit experience. The gun is fine and actually pretty good. The dpm is also nowhere near as bad as you say it is. If you want a good experience you want this over the proto as they have the same pen, are near in dpm, both can bully many of the tiers they meet but only one avoids being useless in all the fights its in.

You also mention other tanks have pref mm, but fail to realize none of them are mediums. There are no other medium pref mm tanks for sale. 

I got my T-34-3 back a week or so ago via an exception, and I'm very happy to have done so......................Basically what I'm saying is that when you have an armored, mobile medium with 390 alpha, the game gets a lot easier than it would be in an unarmored Goliath of a tank with 230 alpha, barely any more DPM, and no camo. Any little nitpicks you might have about the tanks' aimtime, accuracy, or gun depression don't really mean all that much when the tank itself offers so much.

Rexxie -- when and WHY did your opinion of the T-34-3 change?

In summer of last year, you did not rank it very highly -- did the buffs in Fall 2014 make that big of a difference? 

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/10207-type-59-vs-t-34-3/&do=findComment&comment=219411

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/10207-type-59-vs-t-34-3/&do=findComment&comment=219739http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/10207-type-59-vs-t-34-3/&do=findComment&comment=219739

"The T-34-3 is not a good tank. I will slap anyone who tries to convince you it is."

Edited by Invictus
accuracy

The buff was pretty huge, yes. Basically they integrated a free vstab and a free rammer into the tank; I think these were the changes:

- DPM increased from 1694,6 to 1821,1
- reload time buffed from 13,808s to 12,849s
- reate of fire buffed from 4,345 to 4,67
- accuracy buffed from 0,441 to 0,403
- accuracy on the move buffed by 25 percent

Not only that, but you also have a massive amount of meta changes. Maps are a bit different than they were a year ago, there's a lot more close quarters combat. And, of course, opinions change.

the bloom and dpm difference were very significant, trow in food, and the gun handling is bearable, and thats the only real con it has (more or less)

Type 59 still shits on it, but type shits on everything...

It's so much fun to play! That, along with the 'we have no fear of death or pain' inscription and the yelling in some chinese language makes is my most favorite premium tank by far.

Honestly, I don't like low penetration on it. Just because it combines bad pen and bad accuracy doesn't suit me. WZ120 is so much better in this regard, shit gun handling but at least when shells go wide they have chance to pen. So about 190-200 would be really great for me, would make it really good IMO.

over 1000 games and still no 3rd mark, you guys need to stop it... but seriously this things fun to play and thats a big deal when youre grinding credits so this things is my go to prem.

Honestly, I don't like low penetration on it. Just because it combines bad pen and bad accuracy doesn't suit me. WZ120 is so much better in this regard, shit gun handling but at least when shells go wide they have chance to pen. So about 190-200 would be really great for me, would make it really good IMO.

That's why I use so much HEAT, if it had ~200mm pen AP, I'd probably have 24 rounds of that instead of HEAT.

That's why I use so much HEAT, if it had ~200mm pen AP, I'd probably have 24 rounds of that instead of HEAT.

I actually find ap is better in a lot of situations simply because of the difference in shell velocity.and effects of heat on spaced armour.

800 is a huge plus from 640 with heat.

All that being said, my loadout since this carries so much ammo, is  19 ap, 19 heat, 2 he.

I actually find ap is better in a lot of situations simply because of the difference in shell velocity.and effects of heat on spaced armour.

800 is a huge plus from 640 with heat.

All that being said, my loadout since this carries so much ammo, is  19 ap, 19 heat, 2 he.

Who the fuck cares that you'll have an easier time hitting something when you won't pen?

Who the fuck cares that you'll have an easier time hitting something when you won't pen?

The thing is, because of pref, you will pen most things you face, so firing ap will be better in those situations. Of course if the enemy team is stacked with e75s you might want to consider heat by default though.

Against light tanks and soft mediums, AP is better because it goes through spaced armour just fine and still has higher shell velocity to boot, not to mention the ability to shoot through destructible cover.

How does the tank compare with the WZ-120 in their own respective tiers? If they are similar in power then I might just pick one up as a crew trainer.