Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
t___a

IS3 - historical spaced armour?

28 posts in this topic

MODERATOR NOTE: This discussion started in the Chieftain thread, but I have now moved it out of there so you can continue your discussion about whether the IS3 has historical side armour or not. Enjoy. -WW

Armor on all HD tanks is historical (aside from the T-54 having the prototype 120mm hull instead of normal 100mm)

The stock T-54 represents the T-54 model 1947 which did have the 120mm hull and of which several hundred were made

Yes, the spaced armor has the potential of being quite thick as well, as 5mm of spaced armor on IS-3 IRL is 30mm in game. I can see a 50mm slab on the upper plate and turret... which would make it a tier 10 T32 (but HEAT and HE resistant) combined with the improved ballistic paper turret.

The IS-3 side armor is historical:

pzCVbpd.jpg

The stock T-54 represents the T-54 model 1947 which did have the 120mm hull and of which several hundred were made

The IS-3 side armor is historical:

Hahahaha, NO!

Eu7gqgn.jpg

This is RL IS-3 side skirt.

That looks like 5mm to you?

2-3mm IRL. That's my photo and I know how thick this plate is.

Looks like 30mm to me:

V1dg0Aq.jpg

Take a look from below.

Im sure there are more than enough photos confirmung 30mm, AFAIK, differences between productons of IS-3 are large to say at least. It is designed to have 30mm, results may vary.

One photo. That's all what I ask for. One photo. I showed mine so it's your turn.

One photo. That's all what I ask for. One photo. I showed mine so it's your turn.

Here it is:

V1dg0Aq.jpg

Don't want to be rude but can you read? One photo showing this part from below just like mine.

Don't want to be rude but can you read? One photo showing this part from below just like mine.

But that is from below :P

Last I heard WG had used the blueprints for the IS-3's armor anyway because the production tanks varied so much.

So yeah, I'm just going to leave these here.

IS-3 Spaced Armour.jpg

IS-3 Spaced Armour 3.jpg

Oh and for reference to the non metric speaking world on my shitty 1600x900 work pc screen

3cm is about  -----------------------  long

Edited by Downpour

One of the modernization programs of the IS-3 replaced the side skirt with the stowage bins seen above.

Edited by t___a

One of the modernization programs of the IS-3 replaced the side skirt with the stowage bins seen above.

This a picture of the exact IS-3(M to be precious, which is the upgraded version you mentioned) that wargaming used to make the HD version of the in game IS-3, at least according to Rita's blog so take that with however much salt you will. You can clearly see the markings where ultrasounds were taken along the spaced armor panels. Also please take note of the rusted through spaced armor panels. Now do though panels look like 30mm to you? Also note that no other part of the tank seems to have rusted through, even the clearly not 30mm brackets above and to the left of the are still very much intact. 

IS-3.jpg

IS-3M and the program that removed the side skirts are two different things. Also I think that picture is bullshit since there are a bunch of IS-3s in better condition and in more convenient locations that WG would use instead.

IS-3M and the program that removed the side skirts are two different things. Also I think that picture is bullshit since there are a bunch of IS-3s in better condition and in more convenient locations that WG would use instead.

Wow, that got snippy real quick. Well sir here is the point where I also have to call bullshit, documentation or GTFO. I have tried to look up these side shirt upgrades you keep mentioning and can find nothing on the subject. Please enlighten me, I honestly would like to know. Here is the link to the Rita post I mentioned above for your info. I put in THAT photo because it was the one that clearly had the ultrasound markings on the spaced armor, as I said take it with a pinch or two of salt if you wish. Also that link took me all of 30 seconds to look up, I suggest you do the same next time before calling bullshit on something I have to say.

MODERATOR NOTE: This discussion started in the Chieftain thread, but I have now moved it out of there so you can continue your discussion about whether the IS3 has historical side armour or not. Enjoy. -WW

Wow, that got snippy real quick. Well sir here is the point where I also have to call bullshit, documentation or GTFO. I have tried to look up these side shirt upgrades you keep mentioning and can find nothing on the subject. Please enlighten me, I honestly would like to know. Here is the link to the Rita post I mentioned above for your info. I put in THAT photo because it was the one that clearly had the ultrasound markings on the spaced armor, as I said take it with a pinch or two of salt if you wish. Also that link took me all of 30 seconds to look up, I suggest you do the same next time before calling bullshit on something I have to say.

Jeeze dude I was disputing Rita's claim not yours, sorry there was a misunderstanding.

Anyway the modernization program that got rid of the side skirts was the UKN program, the main goals of which were:

1. Increase the engine life to at least 250 hours and increase protection from landmines
  2. Increase the service life of the transmission to 2000 km
  3. Prevent the leakage of oil from various parts
  4. Improve ventilation in the vent; specifically adding a fume extractor
  5. Introduction of a mechanism to facilitate fire on the move
  6. Improve the gunner's sight.

Pretty much none of ruskie tenks had that thick spaced armor, but WG can't escape their ultra patriotism(even though they are wannabe russians). Check Chieftain's video on Obj268 i think where he removed the spaced armor on the side. It was a fucking tinfoil sheet of couple of mm thin armor, yet ingame it will eat 155mm gun shell like it's nothing. It's sad how pathetic they are to make their own tanks look better than the rest.

Pretty much none of ruskie tenks had that thick spaced armor, but WG can't escape their ultra patriotism(even though they are wannabe russians). Check Chieftain's video on Obj268 i think where he removed the spaced armor on the side. It was a fucking tinfoil sheet of couple of mm thin armor, yet ingame it will eat 155mm gun shell like it's nothing. It's sad how pathetic they are to make their own tanks look better than the rest.

The spaced armor is pretty much irrelevant on the 268 (except maybe for heatammo), what makes all those shots bounce is the extremly steep slope of the armor behind the spaced armor (its close to 70° I believe, so if you don´t get a completly flat shot on it the shot will simply riccochet) if you reduced the thickness of the spaced armor (or removed it altogether) the result would still be the same for any gun than doesn´t triple overmatch it (only the deathstar or high calibre arty firing AP will triple overmatch it)

T__A.

I bet you like the "historical" HD Matilda armor too. British get nerfed, soviets stay buffed. (Matilda got the pike hull in HD, removal of armored boxes) which ruins the armor)

Also: Matilda sideskirts are very hefty. You will not believe how thin they are in game. I believe someone did measure them at 30mm. 

There is no way that the plates shown in the photos indicate 30mm of spaced armor. 

Lets be real here. The fact is that in many cases non-Russian spaced armor is ignored. Note: It is 76mm thick IRL, 0 in-game. 

vRi3Zf4.png

Edited by Stridsvagn 74

Because nobody seems to be able to find something, i had a look at google, and i`d say: 

it does seem though the early models dont have storage bins:

otvaga2004_22.jpg

This gets confirmed by this, from ensign hes website (note the different thickness):

http://tankarchives.blogspot.nl/2013/11/is-3-armour-layout.html

is-3-armour-1.jpg

is-3-armour-1.jpgFurther more i found on dutch wiki:

De tank bleef tot in de jaren zestig van de vorige eeuw in dienst bij het Rode Leger bij speciale zware tankregimenten en werd daarna ingegraven als kazemat aan de Chinese grens. Tegenwoordig worden de nog overblijvende exemplaren te koop aangeboden aan buitenlandse verzamelaars. De enige oorspronkelijke IS-3 staat in het tankmuseum van Kubinka.

The tank stayed in active service with the Red Army till the middle of the 60`s of last century. Here it was part of heavy tank units and afterwards used ao pillebox at the chinese border. Nowadays the remaining units are sold at foreirn collectors. The only original IS-3 in existence is in Kubinka

Give the following pictures:

The 1944 model:

IS-III_Berlin_may1945.png

1945 berlin parade:

IS-III_Berlin_sept_1945.png

1948 IS-3m @ Odessa:

IS-IIIM_Odessa.png

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_IS-III.php

So it seems the original version had no storage bins and had the spaced armor.  All the late models have instead of armor, storage bins and since there are no original IS3`s left, there are also no IS3`s with spaced armor left, except for one, the IS3 from Kubinka, and Kubinka has multiple IS3`s, since the IS3 in the tank hall is an IS-3m (difference skirts and suchs)

TL:DR: there are no origional IS3`s with spaced armor left, and all late version dont have it, they have storage bins, most likely to safe some weight (since a 30mm thick plate is heavy and doesnt offer much protection)

Edited by GehakteMolen
fucking spoilers goddamed

The interesting part is how people actually believe that official design was not followed in production and is just for show. My big question for them is why would anyone do that? Surely you dont believe that designers faked their own drawings?

British get nerfed, soviets stay buffed.

Please reconsider your statement. There is exactly 0 nations in WOT that dont have their tanks both buffed and nerfed. Dont be so naive. 

Please reconsider your statement. There is exactly 0 nations in WOT that dont have their tanks both buffed and nerfed. Dont be so naive. 

yhAy28V.gif Yes WG please unerf the IS-3 and give it the historical 122mm D-83 yhAy28V.gif

XyYYsRX.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0