allenmark00

Are mid-tier mediums still viable?

42 posts in this topic

So lately, I've been driving my Sherman Jumbo and both of my Asian mediums and then I realized something. Apart from the fact that I'm shit at this game, I've learned that my Chi-he, Type T-34, Panther 1, and the Jumbo die too easily. Well there's also the fact that I actually hate the Type T-34 from Hell to Hades, but considering that I've managed to rape an team like this...

My argument is somewhat invalid. Yes, I'm no I'm shit at this game when it comes to farming WN8. I know  there's room for improvement. And I believe that this game is biased towards firepower, mobility, and armor (although that is the point of playing WoT anyways). So what's next you ask? I' confused on how to play mediums. Well, I've read this and it caused more questions then answers. Don't get me wrong: I'm set when it comes to finances, but I'm kind of curious as to how an (occasionally slow) team-oriented class fits inside the free-for-all battle that is World of Tanks?

Commence shitstorm as to why I'm an idiot for playing badly.

399.jpg

the point of mediums isn't to be able to bounce shots (most of the time, or reliably) but use mobility and camo too not get shot. Meds are weaker than heavies until t9 but mid tier meds are still viable- Meds do well against bad players because you can push quickly, flank, be in potions to shoot faster than heavies and people in mid tiers tend to be worse. 

How can the game be biased to mobilty and firepower and armour? Add camo to that and that's your tank.

also turn your graphics down a bit. I know the video is choppy but just looking at your actual fps sitting around 20-30 will make you play clumsily.

Edited by waga100

Mediums at tiers 3-6 are still very much viable.  Decent alpha damage, good mobility and if you know what you're doing you can abuse vision and camouflage on the bad players at those tiers.  Tier 7 and 8 aren't particularly good though, most of the mediums in these tiers suffer from poor alpha damage and mediocre DPM.  They have their moments, but I'd rather be in a tier 6 medium going up against a tier 8 heavy than a tier 8 medium up against a tier 10 heavy because the tier 6 medium will have enough pen and great mobility to circle or outplay the tier 8 heavy.  Most tier 8 mediums on the other hand are likely to fail circling a tier 10 heavy and their alpha and DPM is going to take quite a while to kill the heavy, assuming they can even pen it.  Not to mention all tier 10 heavies have that 400+ view range and playing vision games with them is going to be difficult at times whereas a Cromwell for instance can out-vision an IS-3 all day long.

Mediums at tiers 3-6 are still very much viable.  Decent alpha damage, good mobility and if you know what you're doing you can abuse vision and camouflage on the bad players at those tiers.  Tier 7 and 8 aren't particularly good though, most of the mediums in these tiers suffer from poor alpha damage and mediocre DPM.  They have their moments, but I'd rather be in a tier 6 medium going up against a tier 8 heavy than a tier 8 medium up against a tier 10 heavy because the tier 6 medium will have enough pen and great mobility to circle or outplay the tier 8 heavy.  Most tier 8 mediums on the other hand are likely to fail circling a tier 10 heavy and their alpha and DPM is going to take quite a while to kill the heavy, assuming they can even pen it.  Not to mention all tier 10 heavies have that 400+ view range and playing vision games with them is going to be difficult at times whereas a Cromwell for instance can out-vision an IS-3 all day long.

I believe this statement to be quite valuable advice OP.

Yeah, with tier 6 mediums, you also have enough pen with AP to go through all tier 8 HT sides. The same cannot be said of tier 7 and 8 medium tanks against their top tier opponents. Trying to pen an E75 in a Comet from the side with AP is funny. And a Maus/E100 with a T69? At range it's impossible. 

Every time you find yourself bottom tier in mid tier mediums, It doesn't have to break your bank. Every time i meet tier 9s and 10s in my 7s and 8s MTs, i cry and my virtual wallet does too.
That being said, its still hilarious to bounce a JPE in a T69, then circlejerk it to death. 

Mid tier MTs are OP. Well, some of them. T-34, chinese copy and T-34-85 are the most OP mid tier tanks in the game. Cromwell is OP, CromB is CromBetter. Even the mediocre Japanese MTs aren't that bad due to their guns.
Things start to become 'Meh' at tier 7, but even they are underrated. 

Tier 5-6 mediums are generally excellent!

VK30.01(P) is one of my favourite tanks of all time to play and the T-34 (especially in platoons with the rapid firing gun) just rips through everything.

As stated above, abuse your excellent mobility, view range, dpm and camo to their fullest!

One quick note though... WHY ARE YOU PLAYING WITHOUT A REPAIR KIT!!! (or fire extinguisher, or med kit etc). If you get tracked in a low tier medium you are screwed (more so as you have poor crew skills) so the repair kit is essential to keep you in the game

EDIT: In addition to looking at your graphics settings your mods are also eating FPS... HP on minimap is know to eat FPS as are your crosshairs/calculators. Turn them off and you will play better

Edited by It's_Matra

your screen is so fucking cluttered with garbage Im surprised you are even maintaining yellow

it looks like the Internet explorer of someone who things taskbars are a good thing and clicks yes on pop ups 

:facepalm:

and as to the post, mid tier meds are fine, in fact meds at all tiers tend to be fine. I mean, what would be outclassing them? lower tier lights or equal tier heavies?

Edited by zapyoug

your screen is so fucking cluttered with garbage Im surprised you are even maintaining yellow

it looks like the Internet explorer of someone who things taskbars are a good thing

:facepalm:

and as to the post, mid tier meds are fine, in fact meds at all tiers tend to be fine. I mean, what would be outclassing them? lower tier lights or equal tier heavies?

The stock client is pretty great really, I would give it a try allenmark

The stock client is pretty great really, I would give it a try allenmark

I've ran full vanilla for over 15k games now and don't miss XVM or anything except the draw range circle at all

That screen is really holding you back, just delete everything inside your mod folder.

Also, stuff like the T-34-85/T20/Cromwell are aaaawesome

...Completely disagree that his mods are holding him back. Holy hell, you guys must never watch someone like Sela play who has more mods that a $2 street hooker from Vegas has STDs. Play with what you're comfortable with. I personally have moved away from using so many mods, but simply going cold-turkey in anything apart from organized play was cancerous to my own game-play. Again, play with what you're comfortable with

OP, I used to be of the same opinion as you and seriously struggled with playing low tier meds. Now, they're some of my favorite tanks to play as they're pretty easy to abuse because I have a better fundamental understanding of how vision mechanics work in WOT. mid-tier mediums are excellent abusers of such, more so with liberal APCR spam. The Type T-34, T-34, Cromwell, T-20 and Comet are some of my favorite tanks in the game right now.

Basic game-play: Get vision of the enemy, but do not expose yourself to easy return fire. Enable your other tanks to get some shots in, which will turn the focus and turrets away from you. Use these moments to get quick shots in, or move to a better position. Don't make yourself look like the biggest threat, but make sure you have some pressure to keep them looking back and forth. Mid-game is where mediums really start to shine, and where most of your DPG is created. Watch your HP closely, and then watch the enemies HP melt as your tank becomes stronger and stronger in the engagement

...Completely disagree that his mods are holding him back. 

Seeing as though they are causing a huge FPS drop I would most certainly say they are holding him back, it's evident on some of the replay moments that the extra 10fps would make one massive difference! (A lot less stutter-y).

I play with mods but I know what each and every bit does (even how it does it and where it gets the data from!). If you don't know what every part of the mod does then I wouldn't use it - but that's just me personally... still doesn't change the fact that I highlighted above.

tl;dr

Nothing wrong with mid-tier mediums but the OP could improve their game by increasing their fps - easiest way of which is to remove the incredibly resource hungry mods and/or tweak graphics settings

The tier 5 derp mediums (Shermans, Pz 4H, and even the Renault G1) are some of the most fun tanks in the game.  When top tier, you murder damn near everything with one shot.  When bottom tier, you can still peck away at even the toughest heavies and are still a big threat to thin skinned lights and td's.

My fave mid-tier meds are the E8, M7 and CromB. I am not a fan of the T-34 and have yet to play the T-34-85 or A-43 though. (cannot decide which one to go for) 

As for when bottom tier, load some prem ammo for those higher tier tanks, farm from the back at the start trying to to take damage, and then start scouting/flanking and circling mid to end game. 

As for your mods - whatever makes you happy I guess but man that's busy. The only ones I run are view/render/spot range and hit/dmg logs (I don't count Ackbar 6th sense *lol*)

My fave mid-tier meds are the E8, M7 and CromB. I am not a fan of the T-34 and have yet to play the T-34-85 or A-43 though. (cannot decide which one to go for) 

As for when bottom tier, load some prem ammo for those higher tier tanks, farm from the back at the start trying to to take damage, and then start scouting/flanking and circling mid to end game. 

As for your mods - whatever makes you happy I guess but man that's busy. The only ones I run are view/render/spot range and hit/dmg logs (I don't count Ackbar 6th sense *lol*)

The A-43 plays exactly like the T-34.  If you didn't like the T-34, you might not enjoy it.  Although I'm not sure why you wouldn't as the M7 and the Cromwell are very similar tanks in play.

The A-43 plays exactly like the T-34.  If you didn't like the T-34, you might not enjoy it.  Although I'm not sure why you wouldn't as the M7 and the Cromwell are very similar tanks in play.

I think its because I like the speed & mobility of the M7 and Cromwell that the Russians just do not have. And not to mention that high RoF to pew pew them :P 

I think its because I like the speed & mobility of the M7 and Cromwell that the Russians just do not have. And not to mention that high RoF to pew pew them :P 

With the 57 mm, the A-43 reloads in under 2 seconds. It accelerates brilliantly and turns nicely. Only downside is the copious APCR you have to sling...

...Completely disagree that his mods are holding him back.

but sela can see his screen and his mods are actually useful (to be fair though, half of it is just the fucking wall of xvm display that he could minimize)

Beg to differ that they're all "actually useful"... but, he did have the best colorblind XVM config when I was using his mod-pack. I use my own now, sans XVM. We're also falling off of what the OP was asking about!

I wouldn't recommend the Chinese medium unless you are okay with grinding your way through two clones that are shittier then their Russian counterparts.  However, the Chinese Tier 7 T34-1 is a blast, it makes up for bad gun depression with a heavy tank (ish) gun and beastly turret armour.  It definitely is not the easiest to play however. 

Agree with what rollercoaster said above.  I personally love mid-tier mediums. Those are the tanks I play when WoT is gettin' me down.

Cromwell (both), A-43, T-34-85 and clone, T-34 and clone, M7, Crusader (I know it's a light, but its really a lightium imo) even my T-25. I never really enjoyed derp guns, but they are obviously crowd favourites as well. At tier 4, if that counts as mid, for me it's all matilda, all the time. 

As said above, its all about using mobility, stealth, and view range to avoid being shot and hitting the bad guys where they're soft.