Rexxie

ST-I Appreciation Thread

106 posts in this topic

I just elited this thing after 256 battles.  When 9.18 hit, I had about 76 battles and was running around a 35% or 36% win rate, I managed to get that up to 55% before all was said and done.  Not spectacular, but not craptastic, either.  I'm flabbergasted at those of you who average 3k dpg.  I still consider 3k damage a good day's work.  But I think this one has gone from being a tank I dread to being a keeper in my garage.  It's fantastic at holding a blocking position and urban warfare.

I also think that this tank helped me get better - the more I played it, the less HEAT I was firing, b/c having that monster turret gave me the confidence to try and pick weak spots with standard ammo.  Even fighting frontally against things like the Maus, Japanese heavies, e4s (been seeing a ton of those b/c of the on track missions), etc., I've been reaching for standard ammo and trying to hit LFPs, cupolas, machine gun ports, etc.

I used to really love the ST-I a couple of years ago, especially after I fully upgraded, I think it was the first actual tank that gave me that "beast mode" feel.

Now I just find it too sluggish to keep up the pace with the rest of the team, in this meta. Only took it out for a spin once every blue moon, IDK why but I just don't feel like playing it, not when something like the T10 can flex so much better (not to mention that the gun handling on the T10 just feels so much better)

Would really like to 3 Mark it, though, as its still one of my fav's. Problem is a lot of times due to its slow nature I can't into mopping up damage farm. Also, if your flank crumbles, the DPM is too low to squeeze out enough damage before you get killed.

P.S.: Should still tryhard it, especially after the arty rebalance. Arty made me hate my life in the ST-I so much...

It's definitely not flexible, but then, neither is anything before or after it in the line, so anyone playing it should already have a sense of what to expect.  But dayum when I want to hold a spot, hull down and laugh uproariously at anyone trying to get through my turret while I blast away with seeming impunity...this would be my choice.

So just picked it up, seems ...OK (elited, but not used to it yet)

How do you equip one of these? Rammer/Vstab and vents or GLD?  I'm thinking the vents reduce the load time by a fraction, and help the soft stats, but GLD might get that aiming time down to somewhere mid 2's. (Well probably 2.7 or something, but less than 3)

Any opinions from players who are actually decent so I can repeat them in pub matches and seem all smart and stuff?

I don't remember what I used on it, and noone is going to mistake me for being actually "good" in this or any other tank.  But if I were to pick it up again, I'd probably go with vents just for the overall boost to things like mobility and vision.  I don't mind the slow aiming b/c as long as you hide your hull, you can aim in pretty safely.  But anything which helps mobility would IMHO be gud.

Yeah, the tank seems fantastic -if i can get hull down and in a position where I have time to aim.  Any other situation and it's kinda... useless.

I don't get the love for it, as I said, totally get the hull down thing, but in all those situations where it can't get hull down, that gun handling (worst T9 heavy) coupled with the aim time (worst T9 heavy) just make it so...crap.

It's not a bad tank by any means, had some fantastic games in it, it just seems so...situational.