QuantumParadox

Survival rate primarily in heavies

11 posts in this topic

Across practically my entire wot play time I have had a 30% survival rate.  I primarily play heavies and I generally try to get to a brawl spot, angle my armor and let some of the other players take the hits to rotate the hp pool.   I am wondering how to increase survival rate in those tanks due to proximity to enemy shells.

Survival rate is driven primarily by win rate.  You should survive in 80%+ of your wins and 20% or less of your losses.

^ The Pareto principle (80/20)!

Unfortunately, I don't survive 80% of my wins, however, my survival rates have been going up.

I played predominantly heavies. I think it's harder to stay alive in a heavy, since you're in close proximity of other heavy tanks all wanting to take you out. I guess the way to increase your survival rate, would be to win and survive your flank (probably would be in city) by out playing/smarting their heavies.

I think artillery players are very skilled because artillery has a high survive rate and good survive rate mean good skill.

1 hour ago, Garbad said:

Survival rate is driven primarily by win rate.  You should survive in 80%+ of your wins and 20% or less of your losses.

I agree with the latter half of that.  If you're constantly surviving in your losses, then you're being too passive and giving up too easily.  You can often turn what seems to be an unavoidable loss into a win if you just go for the gusto at the end, rather than running off to hide in a corner, hoping the enemy caps instead of killing you just to save on repair costs.

The first part though, I kinda wonder.  While you have to stay alive to win matches, I very often end up dying after the match is basically won because at that point grabbing as much of the scraps of the remaining HP on the table takes precedence over staying alive for me.  Getting even a couple more shots in will pay for the extra repair costs.

That said, I have been known to be excessively aggressive, so perhaps you should listen to Garbad.  :P

I guess the question now is how do I win more in heavies?  Specifically baiting shots as people seem to have caught on a bit to autobounce and will refuse to shoot my heavily angled side.  If you poke out normally you will likely be punished and if you do nothing but hold the corner, you are now at the fate of the other players to win flanks.

34 minutes ago, QuantumParadox said:

I guess the question now is how do I win more in heavies?  Specifically baiting shots as people seem to have caught on a bit to autobounce and will refuse to shoot my heavily angled side.  If you poke out normally you will likely be punished and if you do nothing but hold the corner, you are now at the fate of the other players to win flanks.

1.  Don't get caught up in the survival %.  Because its driven by win rate, you could be doing just at survival and just losing too much.  The stat itself isn't particularly informative.

2.  Instead, remember that survival is a means to an end.  Stay alive long enough to get things done = win more = survive more.  That's the chain.

3.  So the key is developing skills, positioning, and judgement to get things done while staying alive, or at least, living long enough to have a big impact.

Some schools of thought:

1.  Sit in back and chai as your team unwittingly meat shields for you.  This gives you time to sway a battle by sheer personal damage output.

2.  Take prudent risks, do things, and win.

Most people on this site will advise some variant of #1.  That's why they are mediocre.

i don't care for surviving very much

if i die doing more damage i will do it on purpose

Survival rate in a vaccum doesn't mean anything.

If your win rate goes up you'll see your survival rate will also go up, but if your survival rate goes up and your win rate is not moving, you're doing something wrong.

Being alive longer means you have more time to have a positive effect on the match outcome, but if by staying alive you're not being useful, then you might as well be dead.

And sometimes you gotta die to win.

3 minutes ago, Shackram said:

And sometimes you gotta die to win

Or to make an epic ram kill (ELC ramming skill ftw!).

And yes, SR is kinda useless. Only extreme values (20-25% or 45 and more) say something important about player's playstyle. I survived 45,23% of my games. Why?

- paying full repair cost isn't for me

- watching my little tank burning like unlucky witch is awful

- pubbies just love to do retarded things after my death

Survival rate is a really hard stat to judge people on. Some people yolo at the remaining enemies in cleanup, loosing 1k health and dying while only dealing like 1 shot of dmg, while others try their hardest not to lose HP, sometimes unwilling to push some peashooter like a Comet that is on very very low health. Survival rate should only be a concern when you are constantly unable to help your team win in mid/late game situations because you are dead.