FlorbFnarb

T34 boomstick

81 posts in this topic

Went back a couple pages, didn't see one for the T34, so decided to start a new one.

I'll probably get this thing eventually, since I own and am keeping all the American heavies from the T1 HT to the E5, including the T14.  I only lack the T57 and T34.

Is the deal that's still up fairly good?  I don't need the 100% crew, really, since I have crews in all my tanks and I'm pretty sure a T57 Domination crew is sitting in my barracks.  My schedule doesn't allow for tournaments, so gold is almost totally bought apart from the very small amount I score from CW at times.  Is the deal of the tank plus garage spot plus 30 days premium cheaper than the gold it would take to buy it with gold?

Did the buffs amount to much when it went to HD?  All I'm hearing about are very small armor buffs.

How frustrating is the gun handling and aim time?

4 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Is the deal that's still up fairly good?

That depends on your definition of good. If you mean straight up "wins games" good, no, the T34 is not good and never was. Most other T8 HTs are better. If you account for its very good credit income, rampage mode viability, and good crew training, the tank is good enough to want in your garage.

4 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Did the buffs amount to much when it went to HD?  All I'm hearing about are very small armor buffs.

It didn't amount to that much - the tank still feels exactly the same as it did before. The hull armor buffs are not the sort you can really take advantage of, and the turret armor has always been decided by being overmatched. It's a bit stronger hulldown because of the lack of cupola, but it's not something that'll make a difference more than rarely. It's something, though.

8 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

How frustrating is the gun handling and aim time?

If you have a shit crew (no BIA/handling perks), it'll be frustrating. With all the goodies, it's not all that bad. The main problem is that it has very low damage output from the getgo, so every miss or bounce you do get is really punishing. You might only have a handful of shots per game before the match has been decided, so they have to count. This is also why the tank is not good for winning games; it doesnt get much done in that window of time where you are still trying to get the upper hand.

The gun and aim time is something that you just have to work around, it's a pretty good tank providing you like the T29, hull down and shoot stuff. I think the HD model helped it out some, although I don't have a lot of battles since so it could just be RNG. If you have access to a T30 with the Proto gun, that's basically the same thing other than a tier higher and the credit bonus for a comparison. As long as you have a 3 or 4 skill crew it's a pretty good tank overall, but I like that play style.

59 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

That depends on your definition of good. If you mean straight up "wins games" good, no, the T34 is not good and never was. Most other T8 HTs are better. If you account for its very good credit income, rampage mode viability, and good crew training, the tank is good enough to want in your garage.

It didn't amount to that much - the tank still feels exactly the same as it did before. The hull armor buffs are not the sort you can really take advantage of, and the turret armor has always been decided by being overmatched. It's a bit stronger hulldown because of the lack of cupola, but it's not something that'll make a difference more than rarely. It's something, though.

If you have a shit crew (no BIA/handling perks), it'll be frustrating. With all the goodies, it's not all that bad. The main problem is that it has very low damage output from the getgo, so every miss or bounce you do get is really punishing. You might only have a handful of shots per game before the match has been decided, so they have to count. This is also why the tank is not good for winning games; it doesnt get much done in that window of time where you are still trying to get the upper hand.

What I meant with "good deal" was referring to the current premium shop deal versus the gold cost.  Meaning, ignore the (useless to me) 100% crew, compare the cost of T34 + garage space + 30 days premium by buying the premium shop deal, as opposed to just buying enough gold to buy those three things.

But knowing it isn't a good game-winner is good to know, though.  I wonder if it was much better eighteen months ago or so, before the damned meta shift meant matches were commonly decided inside two minutes and sometimes in one minute, meaning the bad reload is that much more of a problem.

My mistake, didn't read your question right, thought you were asking about the T34 itself.

The deal is worth it, yeah. The T34 is worth $52 alone (assuming you buy the 12k bundle and then spend that 12k for the T34). 30d of prem are about 10 dollars, so you're getting $10 of prem for a bit over $1, plus whatever your slot is worth.

If you bought the T34 and gold on sale seperately, then you might save a couple dollars vs this bundle - but it'd be basically nothing.

17 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

My mistake, didn't read your question right, thought you were asking about the T34 itself.

The deal is worth it, yeah. The T34 is worth $52 alone (assuming you buy the 12k bundle and then spend that 12k for the T34). 30d of prem are about 10 dollars, so you're getting $10 of prem for a bit over $1, plus whatever your slot is worth.

If you bought the T34 and gold on sale seperately, then you might save a couple dollars vs this bundle - but it'd be basically nothing.

Ok, thanks.  Now I just gotta decide if I really want the thing.  I picked up the JT88 last night and it really does print credits, so I don't strictly need another credit maker.  Having a tank to train American HT crews would be good - I honestly don't run my T14 like I probably should - but that depends on whether the T34 is any fun to play or not.

I really wish they'd change the maps a bit to slow the pace of matches back down to something workable.  Tired of the whole "get it done in the first 90 seconds or gtfo" mentality the current meta forces.  :(

The T34 is too sluggish to be "fun" in my opinion. The DPM is also abysmal even compared to its piers with preferential matchmaking. So, expect to get pushed if you don't have plenty of backup. It doesn't help that the ubiquitous 122mm guns can overmatch your big turret roof  

I play it every once in a while, and it does make credits and train crews. However, I'd hesitate to recommend it since you called out the fun factor. 

16 minutes ago, monjardin said:

The T34 is too sluggish to be "fun" in my opinion. The DPM is also abysmal even compared to it's piers with preferential matchmaking. So, expect to get pushed if you don't have plenty of backup. It doesn't help that the ubiquitous 122mm guns can overmatch your big turret roof  

I play it every once in a while, and it does make credits and train crews. However, I'd hesitate to recommend it since you called out the fun factor. 

Yeah, this is my worry.  I can accept slow tanks, and I have fun in some of them - I enjoy my SP, IS-6, KV-1, AT 2, JT88, T29 - but slow plus crap DPM plus crap gun handling and aim time screwing with an otherwise good gun...it worries me.

Maybe I'll download the test server and try it there.

Yeah, I think I might have to give this a pass.  It doesn't look like it drives like a T29, it looks like it drives like a T29 with a broken engine and dead driver.  1600 DPM is worse than the T29's already had DPM, but a tier higher.

I have credit generation and crew training covered, and this doesn't look so fun, so the good deal isn't enough to push me to buy it.  Maybe if they buff gun handling and aim time I could deal with it, but not as is.

Its basically a T8 TD. Its still an effective tank, thanks to its ability to pen T9/10s frontally with minimal gold spam. 

T8 battles is basically auto aim and click things.

59 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

Its basically a T8 TD. Its still an effective tank, thanks to its ability to pen T9/10s frontally with minimal gold spam. 

T8 battles is basically auto aim and click things.

Except the SP.   bnclKBG.jpg

I don't own one, but whenever I face them it's like playing vs. a hp piñata.

Wouldn't it be more fun saving the gold and a) then spending a small portion of it on retraining crews, which you "build" in the SP instead or b) just play the above average heavies in the American line and enjoy the game?

I have a T34. I cannot remember the reason for getting it. Credits grinding maybe, but I already had a SU-122-44 and FCM prior to that. Maybe I wanted something else. Crew grinding maybe, but my one and only main HT US crew was already well into 4 skills, although I did have plans to crew up my T32 which never happened.. 

I can't say it is a bad tank. It does great in certain aspects, mainly penning almost anything easily, with or without APCR, and being hulldown. But arty is so prevalent nowadays, hulldown in corridorish maps are scarce if you aren't a low tank aka Soviet. The DPM is horribly low, on my setup I get 12.94s reload, FYI my IS-3 gets 11.48s, even my IS is better at 10.15s. 10 less alpha negligible tbh. It still works if the enemy is content in sitting there and letting you farm their health while hulldown. That does not happen much. Not to mention it is slower than the T29 and T32, and gun handling is simply worse even compared to IS-3. 

The tank is very slow paced, everything about it is slow. A few games it really goes your way and you rack up alot of damage. Some games you trail real far behind with little to no damage, the rest you are lucky to get in a few before it ends either way. I honestly do not recommend it. It isn't the worst tier 8, premium or not. It just isn't that good enough to justify playing it often imo. I still have not played 100 games in it after many months, and wish I bought an IS-6.

10 hours ago, Rexxie said:

What equipment do you run on yours @Rexxie ?

From one american player to another florb, don't get it. It's slow as a snail, has butter hull armor, the bloom is almost as bad as a T92 (no joke, look at the soft stats) and the turret is penned by tier X prem rounds and overmatched by 1/2 of them anyway.

Pen is cool and alpha is solid but DPM and accuracy are trash too.

Out of the 4 games i played i had 2 3500+ damage ones, but that was due to the map selection and luck (or lack of enemy skill) rather than any real plays on my part. It's awful on flat maps.

Still my top 3 credit earner after the JT88 and FCM. 

Equipment = Vstab + GLD + Rammer.

I change my mind about this every now and then... I had a period where I would have said it was great, I have had a period where I would have said the Löwe is acutally better... lol..

I have even played it during my M103 grind thinking I was in my M103 wondering why I was so slow and actually hitting heal driver buttons... 

It depends on your cash surplus.

It all depends whether you want a pure credit grinder or not. If you do, it's perfect as you should never have to fire any premium ammo in it (unless you tryhard against tier 9 heavies and tier 9/10 tds/heavies). 

If you want to play it for fun, it's not the tank for you. I just got the FCM in the last campaign and it is significantly more 'fun' than the T34, but makes much less credits (even before accounting for the increased use of premium rounds in tier 9 games). A 2.5k dmg game and 2 kills will get you about 100k gross in a T34, and about 70-80k in an FCM. That's a huge difference in a session of 15-20 games grinding credits.

However, I would rather play normal tanks and mix up some FCM, E25 and maybe WZ-111 games rather than play the T34.

22 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

It all depends whether you want a pure credit grinder or not. If you do, it's perfect as you should never have to fire any premium ammo in it (unless you tryhard against tier 9 heavies and tier 9/10 tds/heavies). 

If you want to play it for fun, it's not the tank for you. I just got the FCM in the last campaign and it is significantly more 'fun' than the T34, but makes much less credits (even before accounting for the increased use of premium rounds in tier 9 games). A 2.5k dmg game and 2 kills will get you about 100k gross in a T34, and about 70-80k in an FCM. That's a huge difference in a session of 15-20 games grinding credits.

However, I would rather play normal tanks and mix up some FCM, E25 and maybe WZ-111 games rather than play the T34.

VBA says I earn more credits with the FCM than with the T34... 

16 minutes ago, Golem501 said:

VBA says I earn more credits with the FCM than with the T34... 

Because more dmg as it is a better tank . . . it does over 200 more damage per game.

Trust me, on a per dmg basis T34 makes more credits.

There are 2 reasons for this:

1. Increased credit multiplier (not all tier 8 prems are made equal); and
  2. More tier 9s and tier 10s.

1 hour ago, Snoregasm2 said:

It all depends whether you want a pure credit grinder or not. ...

On the T34

35 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Because more dmg as it is a better tank . . . it does over 200 more damage per game.

Trust me, on a per dmg basis T34 makes more credits.

More dmg on the FCM 50t.

-> But for pure credits, taking out the tank that does earn more $$/game is better, no matter how the $$/Damage is, it's about $$/game... 

It depends really.

I'm good enough to play the same in all my premiums more or less (I average 2k a game in a T34 and 2.5k a game in the FCM). I would earn more money in a T34 using those ratios. It is the best tank in the game for printing credits, except for maybe the Lowe (haven't played it), as:

1. No need for prem ammo;
  2. Sees tier 10s (shit for the fun factor, good for credits); and
  3. Best/joint best credit coefficient.

I've played SP, WZ-111, FCM and T34. The T34 - by far - makes the most credits, but the T34, just (over the WZ-111) is the most boring to play.

You have to ask yourself whether credit grinding is your main goal. If so, T34 will be much better, provided that you are not significantly better in faster, rapid firing tanks like the FCM. Or to put it another way, if you think you would do 125%+ of the damage you could do in a T34 with an FCM, you will make more credits. If you will do 125%-, you will make more credits in T34.

T29 with a broken engine is spot on.

Its a fucking boat anchor. The gun does go boom really nice though. Glad I got mine free.

11 hours ago, Research_Monkey said:

What equipment do you run on yours @Rexxie ?

Rammer, GLD, Vstab.

Thanks a lot for the whole thread. Now I probably will also give T34 a pass. Though it looks handsome after HD modeled.