catak

M4A3E8 vs M4A3E2

65 posts in this topic

Small? The gun mantlet is almost half the frontal profile of the turret. The entire area above the gun mantlet and below the cupola is ~175mm too, making just about half the turret very well armored. Also, the mantlet has no weak areas. The only way people are avoiding the mantlet armor is by shooting through the center of the gun itself. Not even near the gun like most tanks, you have to shoot through the gun. It's a great mantlet.

It depends, but typically yes, you want to be close, especially vs other meds. Taking apart heavies at range is not hard either. Your optimal range is not quite as important as your optimal position, though - you need to be safe, and it very much helps to be able to peek your turret instead of your hull.

It's a problem with the Skoda T40, Type 58, A-43, and 3001P, too. The Cromwell, Bromwell, and 3001D would have problems even hitting the JP4, and then from there could still lowroll and bounce on one. The E8's penetration is absolutely not a problem with such great gun handling and short reload.

You can bounce KV/IS sides, yes, any of the T6 meds can, the E8 just has a harder time. These tanks just have really good side armor, load gold or aim above their tracks if you want to never risk bouncing.

Thanks. It may be a problem I have with t6 meds overall except for the t3485. Maybe I just have been unlucky since I got decent damage just the tank feels like it can carry less than higher trier meds

About to complete the work to get the E8. I wish I'd discovered how much fun American mediums are a year ago, having a blast with the M4 and can't wait to continue on up the tree.

About to complete the work to get the E8. I wish I'd discovered how much fun American mediums are a year ago, having a blast with the M4 and can't wait to continue on up the tree.

The E8 is a blast! It's the only tier 6 medium I need in my garage for generally fun medium generalist play.

Here's food for the thought: The Skoda T25 is like the T50 itself; 3 shots, quick inter-reload, needs to reload for <20 secs, 110 alpha.

The E8 is like the AMX 50 120 that has a unlimited clip. Infinite clip, 2.7 second inter-reload, no reload delay, 115 alpha, can mount vertical stabilizer (big pro!), AND it has ~160 turret armor AND -12 depression.

Skoda T25 is over hyped IMO. All you need is the Easy 8 lyfe on cloud 9.

Tl;dr: If you like the 76mm M4, you will enjoy the E8.

I got a E8 today, will I like it more than the T-34-85..., my favorite Tier 6 medium?.

1 hour ago, Torenico said:

I got a E8 today, will I like it more than the T-34-85..., my favorite Tier 6 medium?.

It's pretty good, especially if you're liberal with APCR. However it does struggle like rest of the herd in tier 8, where most HTs, especially IS3 and KV4 feel like God mode.

I played the E2 with the fast gun (as opposed to the popular derp gun). I had pretty good success with it. Haven't touched it since I started out, but I found the ability to constantly shoot more appealing than derping. Even though you'll have to take the weaker turret, a lot of people will still shoot your front hull and you'll bounce a lot of shots. Kind of slow though for a medium. It worked for me, but I'd say the E8 is a better choice to go with to learn mediums.

8 hours ago, no_name_cro said:

It's pretty good, especially if you're liberal with APCR. However it does struggle like rest of the herd in tier 8, where most HTs, especially IS3 and KV4 feel like God mode.

It struggles more than some of its peers and need to shoot more APCR. Some tier 7 heavies are pain in the ass (T-29 if he covers half of the UFP without track links and angles a bit, IS, and IS-2 - there is simply not enough raw accuracy to hit their turret hatch reliably at range (and crom/85 can do it on AP, and will save silver on misses), as opposed to fully aimed Crommie/85. Getting close to these tanks is not an option with your lack of getaway speed).

It has about 20 mm less penn than T-34-85 or Crommie, so it needs to shoot gold on some targets they do not...mainly a credit bleed against tier 6 heavies, not really a problem.

But 25-30 mm weaker APCR just leaves you completely powerless against tier 8 heavies, where a tiny bit of angle sideways, or elevation, and 77/85 mm goes through IS-3 pike, and other heavies too...also, KV-4 sides much easier.

Crommie has the speed to circle pretty much any tank in the game that is not a light...and 34-85 can spam that OP russian HE on is-3s for 80-100 dmg a pop...

I liked E 8 much, and in a pure tier 6 battle would take it first over the 2 gods of its tier/class i mentioned above, but the lack of pen on both shells, and lower speed speed is a severe limitation in higher tiers where you are one-shotable by 152 mm, and 2 shots by 122s.

Awful first session with my new E8. Pure Tier VII and Tier VIII matches except for two Tier VI games. Ugh, I have nothing against the tank but dude, seriously?...

The tank can be a bit derpy or the 76mm can feel a bit weak, but add Tier VIIIs and it certainly feels like an unfair uphill battle. I rarely complain about this particular thing about the MM, but it has been like this for me for a while -_-.

Still, killing IS-3s feels awesome, and penning WZ-111s frontally with AP is glorious, especially if they rage.

I gotta admit that I have to use the E2 with the top turret and M1A2 -- dat gun handling!

Today had a Radley Walters with that setup.   I know the E8 is probably better, but the E2 keeps me out of trouble ;)

http://www.vbaddict.net/download_replay/jarrel62-na-061501540d61cfadafc5ddb875b706e6/highway-usa-m4a3e2_sherman_jumbo-1590247472106004

The E8 is absolutely better.  But since I'm a washed up plateaued dadicum, I play the E2 with stock turret because it's hilarious and for every game it's useless there is a game where its 100% troll fun. Besides I have a T20, T26E5, M46, M48, M60 and Fury for when I want to play American mediums. 

On 12/19/2016 at 10:03 AM, CraBeatOff said:

The E8 is absolutely better.  But since I'm a washed up plateaued dadicum, I play the E2 with stock turret because it's hilarious and for every game it's useless there is a game where its 100% troll fun. Besides I have a T20, T26E5, M46, M48, M60 and Fury for when I want to play American mediums. 

Ain't it though?  Nothing like bullying Tier 5s then next match being an annoying, unremovable barnacle plinking at Tier 8s with 105mm HE.

Yeah so I've three marked both the E2 and E8 in the past few months and the E2 is just awful by comparison (and it's pretty bad for a tier 6 in general). You give up a ton of mobility for armor. But the armor is garbage so it is a terrible trade. The top turret is bad to the point where I sometimes actually avoided going hull down because I wanted them to shoot my hull which has a better chance of bouncing. But the hull armor isn't very good either.

I played with the stock turret+105mm which is good enough for the occasional laugh, but as a tank it is quite bad. The 105 doesn't hold up at this tier unless it is mounted on a light tank.

Protip: Bring an M6, not an E2.