Sexy_Dave

How do you aim with arty?

36 posts in this topic

Yes I know, it's arty, it sucks, but I need it for some of the missions so...

I'm getting some of the missions done, but just free Xp'd to the GW Panther, and I've hit tracks on 20 or so of my last 25 shots. Mostly from the front.

Does arty not actually hit from above? Because I've used the " arty aim mod" thing, and the tracks look like they're less than 10% of the vehicle I'm shooting at , yet front,side, rear shots all manage to hit them.

(All these shots are HEAT rounds btw, trying for damage, so I'm not getting splashes)

I put the center dot over the center of the tank (or where I think the tank is going to be),wait for the aim circle to get to it's smallest point and click, hoping to ruin some poor players game and get my mission done. But all I seem to manage to do in this is destroy his tracks. I hit a huge number of tracks in the M44 as well (although I used mostly HE, so had splash damage)

Is this just a massive run of poor RNG (for me, good RNG for tank drivers) or are you not supposed to center the dot on the target? I've read the few guides I can find (arty not that popular oddly enough) and unless I'm missing something that's how I'm supposed to do it,

- Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, I searched, but all I found was a ton of "arty rage" and "don't rage about arty" threads.

I'll leave this to Falkter or someone else, but a lot of it depends on shell travel time and shell arc.

The faster a round travels, the easier it is to lead. 

The lower the shell arc, the further past the target you aim

8 minutes ago, engineered said:

7800 dmg in M44... sorry about the presenter

https://youtu.be/BqjrMoow-D4

A really disappointing conclusion.  Reminds me of all the times I blow potentially epic games with one stupid move at the end.
I had three chances for epic games in the SPIC, and only followed through on one.

Shoot at a tank when its traveling at its slowest.  Best is when the tank is poking a ridge, corner, or stopping to aim.  You either have splash or accuracy, never both(the tank that is closest to both is the M53, which is probably the most solid arty).  You generally want to aim either towards the tracks or halfway up the tanks side, and either aim at the center or the direction they will most likely be moving in next if they decide to start moving when you release your shot.  You're an idiot if you don't use Battle Assistant.  Arty is the only class I would promote failtooning(within 2 tiers).  Always always always use HEAT in the M44.  Most tanks you can use AP or HEAT, but it HE will be the most successful.

sry for typos and absolutely no train of thought, im trying to play stronks and type at the same time.

25 minutes ago, engineered said:

7800 dmg in M44... sorry about the presenter

https://youtu.be/BqjrMoow-D4

@Folterknecht already said this was a terrible game in terms of arty skill

10 minutes ago, AR_15 said:

Easy, practice by constantly shooting at me when I'm on my sheriff.

Everyone knows that the best place to aim with arti is straight up :Doge:

Just now, engineered said:

Don't disagree. 

Then y u post it? 

9 minutes ago, Flaksmith said:

Everyone knows that the best place to aim with arti is straight up :Doge:

Then y u post it? 

To show the skill required to get massive games... AKA  RNG

All right, let me throw my hat in the ring.

First off let me preface, I play arty, but mainly the "higher splash" arty pieces. As such I don't really care about direct hits, only about doing as much damage with HE as possible (I never really use AP/HEAT all that much so these tips might not apply for you). Secondly, I do have all of the Tier 10 arty, so I am a least a bit knowledgeable. I'm going to try to list some tips for arty in general below.

1. Don't use battle assistant (well I don't anyways as I can't get the hang of it) unless you are actually trying to thread a shot between houses, holes, bridges, etc. I've found that BA really throws off my perspective and makes it much harder to lead targets. With experience I could probably find it useful, but for right now I don't and I don't recommend it.

2. At the start of the game, look at the mini-map, tank composition (both teams) and where your team, in particular your fast tanks are going. I highly recommend noting a tank that is, in particular, appears to be going very far forwards and has a high chance of lighting the enemy. Once you see that start to happen, immediately pre-aim where you think that person will get spots. This is a good way to whack someone early in the game, especially as they are not yet in any type of safe position and are most likely driving in a straight line to get to their destination.

3. Be patient. I know in my T92 it takes approximately 20 seconds to adjust and re-aim at a new location. Just because your target when dark, don't immediately shift to a different one. If there is an ally nearby who can potentially spot them, I would recommend waiting several seconds to see if that happens, if you don't want to do this, then I would recommend doing a blind-fire and then re-positioning for a new target as you reload.

4. Always keep your gun firing! This also leads to another point, don't xvm snipe! Your main goal is to put as much damage on the target as possible. Holding your shot for a specific person, or constantly readjusting, lowers the number of shells you are lobbing downfield. I've been in multiple games where my T92 gets off 6-7 shots while an arty with a much faster reload (such a Lorr 155 50, 261, etc) only fires 3-4 shots. Additionally, know how long it takes to aim in and be prepared with a target the instant you are loaded. I mentioned that the T92 takes about 20 sec to aim right (45 ish sec reload). What I do on maps likes Steppes, is I drive for 20-25 sec at the beginning and then rotate towards where I believe my team will light the enemy first. That way, the instant my shell is loaded, I'm aimed, have a target, and the enemy is down 800-2000 HP. This differs from arty to arty, but always try to be aimed on a target whenever you finish loading.

5. People like to be consistent. The hardest people to hit sometimes in arty are the 41-44% players. Why? Well because they are so erratic, you can't predict exactly how they will move. Most people when they go to shoot, roll forwards, aim briefly and then roll immediately back. As an arty player you can account for this. If you are nearly aimed on someone and you see them roll forwards to take a shot, aim slightly behind them. By the time they take their shot and begin to roll backwards, they should reverse right into your shell. Likewise, if you see someone start to roll forwards to take their shot, aim at the point they typically stop to aim, as they begin to aim in the shell could hit (and possibly track them) greatly disrupting them. Keep in mind, that if the person's target dies, instead of rolling back, the enemy tank might continue to roll forwards, especially if that was the only tank they were engaged with.

6. A DAR sight can be helpful in leading moving targets. With my T92 I really like engaging moving targets, mainly as the splash is so large I can hit nearby and still do 600-700 damage and track an enemy on a miss. DAR sights have a series of concentric "rings" that are clocked for 15/35/etc km/hr. If you know the approximate speed of a tank and the size of the rings, it allows you to fairly easily lead your target.

7. Be cognizant of popular cover spots. If you see an enemy in the open, dodging and juking, and slowly working their way to an area, especially one with a good camo/sniper position. You can preaim that area and wait till they area  few seconds away before firing. Chances are, the last few meters they will try to beeline for that spot and your shell has a good chance of whapping them as they get into cover.

8. For TD mode, your arty might not have the best depression which can greatly limit your ability to defend yourself. One neat trick is to actually reverse your SPG up a small incline, this allows you to use your significant elevation instead of your, usually, shitty depression, to try and hit a tank.

9. Equipment/shells. Arty is very RNG dependent (but it does take a bit of skill), to hopefully reduce the chance of RNG fucking you over I highly recommend the following setup. GLD, Rammer and either Vents/Camo Net/Binocs. This equipment is set up to reduce your awful aim time with the last piece helping to give you a better chance to either hide from the enemy or spot them first to get off that critical first strike in TD mode. For shells I would highly recommend the gold HE shells if your arty has it. The increased splash radius helps immensely for those times you miss your target and need to rely on splash. It can easily increase your DPG. Lastly for consumables I use repair/medical/food. The food is a given as it helps your reload and aim time, the repair kit is in case a LT manages to track you but you can still shotgun if you repair fast enough, and the medical kit is in case an enemy arty splashes and kills the gunner/loader. I know some players swap out the medical kit for gasoline to improve mobility, this isn't a bad idea as well. This setup is incredibly expensive, I hardly EVER break even in my T92 and routinely lose 30,000-100,000 depending on the damage dealt and if it is a win or loss. Make sure you bank a lot of credits (and patience) before trying the arty missions.

10. Although it is kind of buggy at the moment (or was at least), "x" is your friend. In arty, traversing the hull gives you a shitton of bloom. To try and counteract this, hit "x" to lock your SPG from accidentally rotating when focusing on a target. When initially zooming in on an area, I highly recommend you first adjust so that your gun traverse can cover the majority of the area you think enemy tanks will be, or will be moving to. Nothing worse than tracking a tank only for you to have to readjust your hull as it left your gun traverse range. I highly recommend if this happens and you don't HAVE to shoot that particular target that you instead look for another that still remains in your arc. Another tip about re-positioning, granted I haven't used it in a while is this. If you hold the RMB you lock your gun in place, if you then traverse your hull, find out where your gun is placed and then release your RMB after your center reticule is very close to your closed-in pips, than you will only suffer the bloom related to your hull traverse, not hull + gun. This can be very effective if you rotate and the reticule ends up very close to an enemy tank (takes quite a bit of practice) it can, theoretically, cut your aim time when re-positioning by about 1/2 but is fairly tricky to do.

I don't have really any replays (as no one really likes to watch arty), but I do have a couple in my T92 on wotreplays.

Whelp nevermind, they are all at least a version out of date. This is one of my more impressive T92 games but you can't exactly watch it :/

3 minutes ago, Razavn said:

First off let me preface, I play arty, but mainly the "higher splash" arty pieces. As such I don't really care about direct hits, only about doing as much damage with HE as possible (I never really use AP/HEAT all that much so these tips might not apply for you). Secondly, I do have all of the Tier 10 arty, so I am a least a bit knowledgeable. I'm going to try to list some tips for arty in general below.

1. Don't use battle assistant (well I don't anyways as I can't get the hang of it) unless you are actually trying to thread a shot between houses, holes, bridges, etc. I've found that BA really throws off my perspective and makes it much harder to lead targets. With experience I could probably find it useful, but for right now I don't and I don't recommend it.

2. At the start of the game, look at the mini-map, tank composition (both teams) and where your team, in particular your fast tanks are going. I highly recommend noting a tank that is, in particular, appears to be going very far forwards and has a high chance of lighting the enemy. Once you see that start to happen, immediately pre-aim where you think that person will get spots. This is a good way to whack someone early in the game, especially as they are not yet in any type of safe position and are most likely driving in a straight line to get to their destination.

3. Be patient. I know in my T92 it takes approximately 20 seconds to adjust and re-aim at a new location. Just because your target when dark, don't immediately shift to a different one. If there is an ally nearby who can potentially spot them, I would recommend waiting several seconds to see if that happens, if you don't want to do this, then I would recommend doing a blind-fire and then re-positioning for a new target as you reload.

4. Always keep your gun firing! This also leads to another point, don't xvm snipe! Your main goal is to put as much damage on the target as possible. Holding your shot for a specific person, or constantly readjusting, lowers the number of shells you are lobbing downfield. I've been in multiple games where my T92 gets off 6-7 shots while an arty with a much faster reload (such a Lorr 155 50, 261, etc) only fires 3-4 shots.

5. People like to be consistent. The hardest people to hit sometimes in arty are the 41-44% players. Why? Well because they are so erratic, you can't predict exactly how they will move. Most people when they shoot, roll forwards, aim briefly and then roll immediately back. As an arty player you can account for this. If you are nearly aimed on someone and you see them roll forwards to take a shot, aim slightly behind them. By the time they take their shot and begin to roll backwards, they should reverse right into your shell. Likewise, if you see someone start to roll forwards to take their shot, aim at the point they typically stop to aim, as they begin to aim in the shell could hit (and possibly track them) greatly disrupting them. Keep in mind, that if the person's target dies instead of rolling back, the tank might continue to roll forwards, especially if that was the only tank they were engaged with.

6. A DAR sight can be helpful in leading moving targets. With my T92 I really like engaging moving targets, mainly as the splash is so large I can hit nearby and still do 600-700 damage and track an enemy on a miss. DAR sights have a series of concentric "rings" that are clocked for 15/35/etc km/hr. If you know the approximate speed of a tank and the size of the rings, it allows you to fairly easily lead your target.

7. Be cognizant of popular cover spots. If you see an enemy in the open, dodging and juking, and slowly working their way to an area, especially one with a good camo/sniper position. You can preaim that area and wait till they area  few seconds away before firing. Chances are, the last few meters they will try to beeline for that spot and your shell has a good chance of whapping them as they get into cover.

8. For TD mode, your arty might not have the best depression which can greatly limit your ability to defend yourself. One neat trick is to actually reverse your SPG up a small incline, this allows you to use your significant elevation instead of your, usually, shitty depression, to try and hit a tank.

Good advice.  However, (un)fortunately, I have yet to find a version of melty's reticule with working DAR since 0.9.10.  It really becomes a crutch, as I learned when having to play without it.

Hooray...managed to quote my other post instead of editing.

Raz iz [email protected]

At any rate, for the arty missions I highly recommend the following SPGs.

M44 (although I haven't played it), M40, M53, and T92.

In general the US arty is fantastic at getting the missions done. High splash at tiers 8-10 to get those missions done, good damage on the Tier 6 and 8 to get the "kill higher tier tanks" missions done, etc. I did use the LefH, Bat 58, and FV304 while attempting to do the "track 4 targets" missions but they weren't terribly successful, also they changed those missions anyways, so I don't think they apply.

2 hours ago, no_name_cro said:

Just gonna page @Spartan96 because I know he has bunch of 3 MoE arties, so he must be doing something right.

You rang?

I just play arty for the shinies , most people three mark leopards and 50bs I do stupid shit like this

vKpxzF2.jpg

K5vAe9u.jpg

Oq84HGw.jpg

1 hour ago, Razavn said:

but you can't exactly watch it :/

good write up. I 'd like to add a few things:

Crewskills: BIA first before everything else

Ammo: The main choice even with SPGs like M44 and GW-P is HE. Yes you can shot AP/HEAT from time to time, but you have to be picky. The pen-mechanics are the same as with tanks shooting AP/HEAT ... so shooting HEAT at the side of an IS6, IS3 or IS7 is a really bad idea with arti as you can see in the YT vid linked above (good exampel of what not to do - that was just a 1:1000000 round from an arti noob).

Aiming: The farther away a target the less likely you ll hit. Therefore shooting AP/HEAT with M44/GW-P becomes less viable. Rule of thumb - everything above 800m use HE except huge tanks like the jap. heavies or JT side shots.

http://wotreplays.com/uploader/F0lterknecht/id/265228/version/43,41,39,38,37,36,35,34,32,31,30,29,28,27,26,25,24,23,22,16,14,15,13,19,18,20,17,21,33,42,40,44/type/5/tank/424,673/player/Folterknecht/sort/uploaded_at.desc/

I was gonna page tedster and then I found out I'm like hours late. When I play arty, I like to have a shell travel timer, and then I make an educated guess as to where x tank will be when the shell hits. As for accuracy, low arc arties are painful *cough* Crusader SP that doesn't get a penetrating round *cough*, I mainly aim for hitting engine decks. For the thin tanks, I aim for about the middle of where I can pen. With uber arc arty like the CGC and 304, I aim to the opposite side of the tank, and try to land an HE pen. I've never tried an AP arty besides the OP french APCRties, which is just lolpenning anything you shoot at.

Who uses HEAT/AP on an SPG? You're just wasting your credits if it doesn't pen or it's an near miss. But then again, you're aiming for the softest part on the tank anyways and some of them are easy targets. I mainly use HE, use an mod that gives me a shell flight time estimate, aim on a corridor, pray to the RNG, and hope my team holds them there. I really need to upgrade that M37...

as its German Arty you play , I have a lot of Arty Replays on my channel up to the Grille in Ace Tanker

but also British from Loyd GC to also include good games in the Tier 10 British CGC ( no Ace Mastery as of yet )

dont carry much HEAT or AP , as you can bounce with them , or fail to pen the tank - maybe 1 or 2 shells

For shells I also highly recommend the gold HE shells if your arty has it. The wider blast radius is really helpful , as if you miss them you do a little damage rather than NO damage - I use the Gold Shells in the Conqueror Gun Carriage and it really is wonderful as you have a 11 metre splash .

I also use the same set-up repair/medical/food ,

" it really helps your reload and aim time, the repair kit is in case a LT manages to track you but you can still shotgun if you repair fast enough, and the medical kit is in case an enemy arty splashes and kills the gunner/loader " - totally agree with original post above

what I can add to help you is concentrate on 1 flank if you can , so you can be fully aimed more easily

and above all , if attacked by a scout , use Auto-Aim , and let the gun aim for 1 second or more ,you are far , far more likely to kill them that way , than overhead view or shot-gun mode - this really , really works - see the Sexton Game on Pearl River or this one for a practical demonstration

I use deegie's gun sight from Odem Mortis mods - one final , vital piece of advice , get into a good habit of moving after every shot , diagonally

and relocate then after firing the 2nd shot  , move back  , so if you get someone using the tracer to track you - you are not a sitting duck

this will eventually save your life in artillery , especially if you are on a restricted map like Mines - and you cant sit in too many areas

and the higher tier you go up the tech tree , the more essential this relocating becomes

1 hour ago, allenmark00 said:

Who uses HEAT/AP on an SPG? You're just wasting your credits if it doesn't pen or it's an near miss. But then again, you're aiming for the softest part on the tank anyways and some of them are easy targets. I mainly use HE, use an mod that gives me a shell flight time estimate, aim on a corridor, pray to the RNG, and hope my team holds them there. I really need to upgrade that M37...

Some arty can really make their penetrator round work. Such as the 261, T92 (Though it's hit or miss, it's great when it hits), and some like the tier 4 and 5 french arty that are practically useless when shooting their HE round instead of the high velocity APCR round they get that seems to hit far more than the HE probably due to the velocity, and that APCR round has 223 pen which is amazing at that tier especially for arty. 

I played GWPanther before it got nerfed. It's nerfed and the accurarcy is no where as good as it used to be. The GWPanther I think has around a 30 second reload. The splash isn't terrific nor is its penetration from what I remember. The angle from which the shell travels its target is not from directly above but instead a downward arc, and for GWpanther, It think it hugs a bit closer to the ground than other arties--much like my obj 261. My advice is to install a reticle mod that calculates for you your shell travel time. This gives you a reference for how much lead to give your target. Like previous replies mentioned, arty is very RNG dependent, but there are things you can do to maximize your likelihood of hitting your target. Getting that reticle mod is a good start. Until you become very familiar with your arty piece and become a pro clicker like me, I think that such reticle mod is a indispensable. 

Another thing that I do to increase my hit ratio is to pretend I'm the driver of whatever target I'm trying to hit. Try to predict and think what WOULD he do. For example, if I were playing in a heavy tank at that position as of that moment, would I move or retreat? Would I poke out and try to get a shot off? Until you get comfortable with leading shots and shooting targets in motion, I suggest you only take the "safe" shots. Arty reload is very long. If you take a bad shot and it misses, there's a good chance you will miss many of the "safe" shots had you waited because of the long reload.

I'll tell you what I think to be the best moment to take a shot. It is when a tanker has decided to take a shot. To take a good shot, they have to STOP. For that brief moment they are both stationary AND exposed to your friends. If the enemy has a line of sight on your teammates, your teammates also have a line of sight on them. So when you see a tank that's decided to take a shot, you can predict as to where he is going to come out of cover/move up, aim and take fire judging from where his turret is pointed towards (his intended target) and his current position. You fire BEFORE he gets to his spot and fires his shell. The average aim time is 2 seconds for many guns. (People don't aim that long sometimes, but if you factoring the short vehicle travel time, it's about that long.) The average shell travel time for many arty shells is just below 2 seconds (under 900m range).  This means if you do it right, your target moves up. Stops. and IMMEDIATELY your shell hammers him and he takes hundreds of damage and/or gets tracked. The fact that he's tracked makes him susceptible to take even more damage from your temmates. He can choose to immediately use a repair kit, but that means he's weaker for the rest of the battle. I've done this consistently in my obj 261 to great success. There are times when people takes 600 damage from me but also around 1000 damage from from my teammates at beginning of the game. At tier 10 games, it means a vehicle is instantly KO'ed. You can do it too!!

I hope this is enough to get you started. Play more arty and you'll get a real hang of clicking people. Play music in the background and eat some snacks while you are at it too. :D

You mention firing HEAT in the M44, which is one of only 2 arty that I own (I too started playing arty to do missions).

My experience is that firing HEAT is an absolutely waste in the M44, although apparently some people have very good performance with it. If you don't really know how to aim in arty however, my advice is to just fire HE. Probably 80% of my HEAT shots I've fired in the M44 have ended up being absorbed by tracks. Unless you're firing at the front of tier 8 heavies, HEAT just seems to have too high a chance of being completely absorbed by tracks to be worth it. Better to constantly hit for 200-400 damage and do module damage then risk 0 damage shots bouncing or being absorbed by tracks.

I will also mention however that I just may be extremely bad with HEAT. I get way too many zero-damage HEAT shots in my E100 too... :(