ShrinkWrap

Before you start a nights gaming check the round trip quality

11 posts in this topic

Just thought I knock up a quick ping plotter guide for those not quite in the know.

Before a nights gaming I take 5 minutes to check the quality of the path between my home here in Blighty and the two WOT servers login.p1.worldoftanks.eu & login.p2.worldoftanks.eu

You see round trip time isn't everything! EU2 has always had a shorter round trip time and fewer hops but sometimes, like for the last couple of days, one of the hops has been dropping packets causing in game LAG.

Although EU1 (for me) has more hops and a longer round trip time it makes for more stable play and less in game LAG at least until the folks at fe.core.pw get their act together. There really is nothing you can do about a remote hop dropping packets and if they could route around it they would have. This is usually the result of a network outage and extra load on the remaining good infrastructure. Also the kit at the ISP end is stupidly expensive and complicated and is usually only swapped out during a scheduled maintenance window.

1st Download Pingplotter:

https://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

And then type either login.p1.worldoftanks.eu or login.p2.worldoftanks.eu into the Target Name box and click on the green arrow / button.

Leave it running for 5 to 10 minutes and you want the one with the least packet loss. Ignore the ones with 100% as these are just routers that do not respond to a ping.

In my case EU1 is behaving the best despite having greater hops and round trip time.

p2_world_of_tanks.png

p1_world_of_tanks.png

MOD's please remove post if of no use to anyone.

Regards

I've also been having packet loss to EU2 (fe.core.pw) for about a month from Finland.

First post with download link, exclamation mark in the thread title, strategisch bold word placement, WotLabs account not synchronized..

Welcome to WoTLabs, and certainly not a useless thread, but you were literally miliseconds away from being tagged as a spammer and IP-banned. You're lucky you ended up at a forum that has moderators that first read and then ban.

Dr. Mr. Mrs. Private_Miros: This should not only be allowed to remain, it should be stickied. So many people can use this kind of help.

To the OP:

• +1 to you.
  • I used to know this: I'm on the NA server. How do I find the NA server names to use this (though my ping and FPS are almost always fantastic, with no lag whatsoever)?

For those that are interested in this stuff. You can do a who.is on the last hop in the ping plotter list to find the ISP with the issue.

Capture1.png

https://who.is/whois/core.pw

Capture.png

Most of the good ISP's have a service status page, sometimes with an indication on when it might be fixed. (unfortunately not on this occasion)

This leads us to, http://gcore.lu/ who are indeed are in cahoots with Wargaming.

Capture2.png

If it goes on much longer I may drop them a mail to find out an ETA on a fix. You'd be surprised at how prepared they are to respond to inquiries as long as you can string together a factual and coherent email. 

Regards

First post with download link, exclamation mark in the thread title, strategisch bold word placement, WotLabs account not synchronized..

Welcome to WoTLabs, and certainly not a useless thread, but you were literally miliseconds away from being tagged as a spammer and IP-banned. You're lucky you ended up at a forum that has moderators that first read and then ban.

Message received and understood. Please accept my apology I meant no disrespect.

Dr. Mr. Mrs. Private_Miros: This should not only be allowed to remain, it should be stickied. So many people can use this kind of help.

To the OP:

• +1 to you.
  • I used to know this: I'm on the NA server. How do I find the NA server names to use this (though my ping and FPS are almost always fantastic, with no lag whatsoever)?

@warrends, You can find your local severs name and / or IP by going to,

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Servers

So for you it would be US East - Washington DC, USA (162.216.229.21) & US West - San Jose, USA (162.213.61.57) I guess. You can use the IP address or the name both will work.

C:\>nslookup 162.216.229.21
Name:    dc11-sl-b21.worldoftanks.com

Address:  162.216.229.21

And

C:\>nslookup 162.213.61.57
Name:    sv4-sl-b57.worldoftanks.com

Address:  162.213.61.57

Regards

Regards

Message received and understood. Please accept my apology I meant no disrespect.

No need to apologize :) 

Not many users are that useful that early on.

It was just at brief glance that all the warning lights went off :P

With all respect to transgenders on this forum and off this forum; not everyone is transgender around here.

Very handy, will use it when I come back after a hiatus. I play NA from the UK and sometimes it used to be very noticeable that despite being lower ping NA East gets packet loss when NA West doesn't. Likely still the case and nothings changed so useful to know.

On 15/12/2015 at 11:54 PM, Assassin7 said:

why is Folter a registered User now?

Magic!