Joyrider216

M46 KR: Ripping it up in Style

46 posts in this topic

i606QKM.png

The M46 Korea

This Tier VIII US Medium Premium Tank is one of the first premiums in a very long time that is competitive in any match-up.

The combo of mobility, depression, and gun handling characteristic of US mediums allows you to pull off great snapshots and work  ridges very easily.

Setup

NNZqR52.jpg

This is my M46 Patton crew, the KR allows you to train your US med crews, and you should skill them the same as any other US med, prioritizing camouflage, vision, repairs, and BiA to give you the extra oomph to leverage your strengths. 

GIVHner.jpg

For equipment, running V. stabs helps control your bloom, Rammer boosts your DPM, and optics give the extra utility in a TX match when you can't damage your opponents directly as easily. An argument can be made for using Vents instead, and it is up to personal opinion. 

This tank carries plenty of ammo, I have yet to encounter a situation where I don't have enough ammo. the base AP round has 192 mm of penetration, which I find to be sufficient for fighting most tanks tier 8 and 9. If you are having trouble or there are a good deal of Tier 10s, the 243mm APCR gives you plenty of penetration to work with. 

In terms of consumables, using small rep/med kit/AFE is perfectly fine, this tank doesn't catch fire much at all. I recently switched to cola instead of AFE and don't regret it at all, the extra all round boost from the cola is 100% worth it. and since the AP round costs 255 silver a pop, 100k profit games are not uncommon at all, so the tank can pay for the cola if you don't have any stocked. 

Stats

95dNHGr.png

Taking a look at the soft stats, you can see the AP m/s value is very low, this is a minor annoyance at first, but can be overcome with some practice. While the HP/ton ratio is very nice, the terrain values aren't the greatest. The two greatest weaknesses of this tank are its sluggish mobility and its low AP m/s values. The 477m of VR is very helpful in just about every situation, this allows you to counterspot LTs, and find enemies late game during cleanup. You can see the DPM is rather normal for a tier VIII medium. Looking at the dispersion and bloom stats you can see where this tanks strengths begin to emerge. For comparison, here are the 215B's dispersion and bloom values

WTM33Wc.png

Armor

MHuwWY9.png

The armor profile on this tank is quite similar to the M26 Pershing, with the exception being that the turret is weaker. The Frontal armor is enough to prevent HE pens from T49s, so you don't have to cower as you would in a CDC. The UFP is strong enough at an extreme angle to bounce a shot or two, but don't rely on it.

AFHAitw.png

The red zones are the sections in which you might bounce a shot or two, if you are poking a ridge or generally giving a small target to your enemies. Again, don't expect it to in the way you expect an IS-7 turret to bounce shots.

Mobility

While it isn't a Maus, the mobility on this tank isn't what you would expect. going at about 35~ kmp on flat terrain is to be expected, acceleration is a tad sluggish as well. The overall feel is just enough mobility, but leaves you wishing for more.

Gun Handling

In a way the lower mobility is a blessing in combination with the incredible bloom and dispersion values. the amount of snapshots and insane on the move shots you can pull off in this tank is utterly disgusting. In a Tier 8 competing against RUmed laser cannons, this holds its own very well. Usually sitting and aiming in a shot is your doom in a Tier 10 match, the KR doesn't have to do that. in combination with its penetration, -10 depression, and bloom values, this tank is incredibly apt at fighting higher tier tanks, a rare trait indeed. 

Playstyle

Pulling all these things together makes the M46 KR one of the better, if not the best, T8 medium in the game as of right now (Panzer 58 Mutz might take that title) the huge VR and depression allow you to play at about 200-300m from your enemies, poke a ridge, light them, fire and hit them with your insane gun handling, and back down to do the arty dance and dodge their incoming fire, if they can react fast enough. You should be playing a game of whack-a-mole with the enemy, never poke in the same place more than two or three times, always shift your position and find chinks in their armor, probe and prod their lineup, watch the minimap for holes, exploit weaknesses of enemy tanks to your advantage, you dont have overwhelming alpha or DPM, but you do have everything else in the equation of usefulness, leverage that to your advantage and never sit still. If a flank appears to be falling, do not hesitate to run, this isn't a CDC, it cannot evacuate quickly, reading your minimap for signs of a flank failure and getting out of there is crucial.

Verdict

+Typical US medium comfort and fun

+ Insane handling/bloom values

+ -10 depression and a tiny bit of turret armor

+ Just enough speed to flex and retreat

+ Profitable, earnings vary from 50k-110k

- "just enough mobility" isnt enough sometimes

- AP m/s is abysmal and makes leading a bit tricky

- Armor is very minimal, 1450 HP doesn't last long

Overall, I would give this tank a solid 8.5/10

Yayyy joy did a write up of my new personal favorite tank! TY!

Sometimes I don't even drive it. Just look at it and think of all the commies this tank took care of during the Korean War. Rawr! Tiger rawR!

4 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Its a delight to play, and glad I picked one up. $$$ in da bank!

this ^^

The cola point is well made for this tank - it WILL pay for the cola in most battles. even for this scrub :P

I'm still pondering if it is worth buying given I have the super-pershing as an american crew trainer already, as well as the pershing, and it seems pretty on-par with the pershing. Basically, I'm not sure it is worth 60$ (canadian dollars).

Unless I missed something big, it's a decent tank, but not more, it's only special because it's the first out of the last 10 or so new premium that does not utterly suck. (fuck WG's cashgrabs)

Just now, blackzaru said:

I'm still pondering if it is worth buying given I have the super-pershing as an american crew trainer already, as well as the pershing, and it seems pretty on-par with the pershing. Basically, I'm not sure it is worth 60$ (canadian dollars).

Unless I missed something big, it's a decent tank, but not more, it's only special because it's the first out of the last 10 or so new premium that does not utterly suck. (fuck WG's cashgrabs)

If you don't need another US med prem, consider the Mutz coming soon ish

looking at the paper stats it is better in everyway except the snapshots than the KR

7 minutes ago, blackzaru said:

Pretty much, its not overpowered, its not a premdium waffle or T62a of T8. It is equal to standard t8's and plays very similar to a T20/Pershing. However, if you love american medium play-style, It is just a fantastic tank. For me, I haven't enjoyed a tank this much since I played the T20, plus it makes bank. That is enough for it to be my current favorite tank by a large margin.

I have the SP as well as the KR and I will tell you that the KR is just a very well balanced tank. Nothing special, just all around solid. Shits credits like mad tho'

How much better is the gun handling than the CDC?  I have one and am considering the KR, but with the mobility being so insanely good on the CDC combined with 20 more pen and a 6.06 reload without food, I'm not sure what the KR has on it.

The gunhandling is miles better than CDC however 0.38 base accuracy can leave more wanted at times.

I liked my M46 Kr until I started getting focus fired to oblivion.

I just need to grind credits for like, 3 weeks. Ive put all of my regular 8's into a reserve list, only 8's I can see in my garage are premium 8s. I do think the CDC will grind credits better in SH's, but the 1-2 extra bounces you'll get with the KR will enable you to earn more credits in pubs

41 minutes ago, RC_Tank said:

Wasn't going to buy this but I'm sold now. Going to need a US med crew trainer anyway. Awesome read, thanks for writing it!

Do I sniff a platoon in your future? :P

I enjoy American Mediums..seriously..don't believe me? 

Spoiler

WJO2pSr.jpg

So I must wait until this becomes available via the in game store. Not quite sure if I will be able to 3 mark it, as you can see...there are a couple that I have, and probably won't, be able to 3 mark.

13 hours ago, Nuttydave1234 said:

I enjoy American Mediums..seriously..don't believe me? 

Hide contents

WJO2pSr.jpg

So I must wait until this becomes available via the in game store. Not quite sure if I will be able to 3 mark it, as you can see...there are a couple that I have, and probably won't, be able to 3 mark.

Holy shit, how do you 'turn it on' playing US meds so well?! You're like 4k WN8 for them and (not to sound rude) 'less' for everything else. And if you're so good in them, why don't you play them all the time??

23 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Holy shit, how do you 'turn it on' playing US meds so well?! You're like 4k WN8 for them and (not to sound rude) 'less' for everything else. And if you're so good in them, why don't you play them all the time??

Not sure if that is sarcasm, or not. But, I will look at it as it isn't. I don't play them all the time because generally I am in the need of getting another tank. Like this past week I spent in a T-10 getting an IS-7. Sure I had time to play some other tanks, for the one off fun. In the long term scheme, I have ~23k battles....sure I do well in these tanks, but nothing really affects me statistically. So I play these tanks for one off fun, or platoon fun, while I grind out other lines. 

36 minutes ago, Nuttydave1234 said:

Not sure if that is sarcasm, or not. But, I will look at it as it isn't. I don't play them all the time because generally I am in the need of getting another tank. Like this past week I spent in a T-10 getting an IS-7. Sure I had time to play some other tanks, for the one off fun. In the long term scheme, I have ~23k battles....sure I do well in these tanks, but nothing really affects me statistically. So I play these tanks for one off fun, or platoon fun, while I grind out other lines. 

Not sarcasm at all. 

I've just never seen such a split between a certain class of tanks' stats as your US mediums with the rest of a players' stats, included their recents.

Yeah, I've seen players with say 3.5k WN8 on RU tier 10 meds and 3k WN8 on other tier 10s, for example, but not someone with this kind of disparity between same class and tier:

M46 Patton USA MT 9 142 62.68% 3297 137.64 1.62 1.96 74% 1207 171425 4831
Object 430 Version II U.S.S.R. MT 9 154 68.83% 2921 1221.53 1.49 1.78 77% 1174 180844 3684
T-54 U.S.S.R. MT 9 305 60.66% 2336 660.85 1.37 1.34 77% 980 298892 2918
T 55A Germany MT 9 9 55.56% 2408 644.44 1.78 1.44 75% 966 8698 2900
T54E1 USA MT 9 254 58.66% 2149 252.91 1.04 1.3 81% 905 229904 2200
Centurion Mk. 7/1 UK MT 9 392 53.32% 1769 675.47 1.31 0.97 75% 803 314834 1832

Just a huge contrast which I've never seen before is all. Kudos to you for playing a certain style of tanks so well.

6 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Not sarcasm at all. 

I've just never seen such a split between a certain class of tanks' stats as your US mediums with the rest of a players' stats, included their recents.

Yeah, I've seen players with say 3.5k WN8 on RU tier 10 meds and 3k WN8 on other tier 10s, for example, but not someone with this kind of disparity between same class and tier:

Spoiler

M46 Patton USA MT 9 142 62.68% 3297 137.64 1.62 1.96 74% 1207 171425 4831
Object 430 Version II U.S.S.R. MT 9 154 68.83% 2921 1221.53 1.49 1.78 77% 1174 180844 3684
T-54 U.S.S.R. MT 9 305 60.66% 2336 660.85 1.37 1.34 77% 980 298892 2918
T 55A Germany MT 9 9 55.56% 2408 644.44 1.78 1.44 75% 966 8698 2900
T54E1 USA MT 9 254 58.66% 2149 252.91 1.04 1.3 81% 905 229904 2200
Centurion Mk. 7/1 UK MT 9 392 53.32% 1769 675.47 1.31 0.97 75% 803 314834

Just a huge contrast which I've never seen before is all. Kudos to you for playing a certain style of tanks so well.

Ah, I know why that is...the T57/FV4202 (Now Cent X) were my 2nd and 3rd Tier 10s. Back in the day...with my T54E1 and Cent 7/1 I did not know as much as I do now..so that could explain. While, the T-54/430 II/Patton/55A(Low battles) are fairly new. 

6 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Not sarcasm at all. 

My stats have a rather similar discrepancy between good depression and not good depression tanks.

With tons of pubbies getting this tank as a free rental this month, the MOE requirements are going to be ridiculously low. I'm considering trying to 3 mark it just by playing it during the rental periods. I feel like 60-70 games should be enough...

Man... I'm still sitting here just trying to get the Mastery badge >.>

I feel like such a shitter right now.