Shade421

Gaming Desks; Need Battlestation

29 posts in this topic

So my current setup is perfect hardware-wise...but the desk is lacking.; It's just a cheap glass top office desk with zero storage underneath, no places at all to cable manage, and is glass so clamping things like a racing wheel to it would be ill advised. Here is what I'm on right now:

qIBjrQv.jpg

So what I want in a new desk:

1. At the very least, a solid back underneath so I can cable manage.

2. No L-shape, the desk is in the middle of this wall because the whole room is wired with a big Bose surround system, so the location is fixed. I want a straight top.

3. Somewhere I can put the tower ON the surface would be nice. I have two German Shepherds so the floor is a terrible place for electronics with fans.

4. Something deep enough for the main display to sit on. Right now it's half on the window sill, because the Acer XR341CK stand is enormous. I'd be willing to consider a Vesa system, but the secondary 4k does not support it, and I want them right next to each other.

5. Seriously, that display is huge. That's a full tower case next to it.

6. No cheap laminate shit that's going to split and peel and whatnot.

7. Under $600. I'm not willing to dump more than $800 in to the whole setup and I may still get a new chair. Prices are Murica money, so no Canadaland or Kangaroo Republic rupees to worry about converting.

Pls Halp! If you have a setup that you think would work I'd love to see it and hear from your experiences. Just keep in mind:

Under no circumstances am I willing to change the display setup. So don't suggest you super cool desk that barely fits your 1080p single display. Not gonna work.

13 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Have you, uh, visited Ikea?

Yes. Their desk section was gross, all had weird shapes, and was way over priced.

21 minutes ago, graukatze said:

Waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too small, and way too expensive. Cool idea though.

Check out professional office suppliers. The desks tend to be large, sturdy (mine's 1" thick) and have cable management grommets pre-fitted - I picked up one from a surplus sale for £50, but I'd imagine a new one would be easily within your budget.

I did modify it slightly by adding a couple of Ikea Signum cable trays, and it turned out to be a great upgrade from my old glass desk. I went for a corner model, but they had straight ones too.

13 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

Yes. Their desk section was gross, all had weird shapes, and was way over priced.

Thats odd, I got mine not too long ago from Ikea. It's decent looking, fairly sturdy, cheap and huge, it can easily handle 2x24" screens with some more space to spare

My recommendation would be visit an office surplus depot, you get giant desks really cheap, especially right now as companies are switching to ergo desks (the ones that raise up so you can stand and work)

(I paid £80 for this corner desk)

12669140_10206465940179940_822427332_o.jpg

10 minutes ago, ollyole said:

My recommendation would be visit an office surplus depot, you get giant desks really cheap, especially right now as companies are switching to ergo desks (the ones that raise up so you can stand and work)

(I paid £80 for this corner desk)

12669140_10206465940179940_822427332_o.jpg

I think you have the right-handed version of mine:

WM1ADIr.jpg

55 minutes ago, breeeze said:

Thats odd, I got mine not too long ago from Ikea. It's decent looking, fairly sturdy, cheap and huge, it can easily handle 2x24" screens with some more space to spare

2x24" is about half the space I need just for displays.

50 minutes ago, Necrophore said:

The basic Ikea Galant turns into a 95" desk with two end extensions.

(20/30/20 monitor setup pictured below.)

Reveal hidden contents

plp_zpsbhiroj3a.jpg

I saw that one and I liked it, but there's no cable management to be had, so I end up with the same problem I have now of cables dangling behind it totally visible.

Edit: woe2you just pointed out cable management options are available, so I'll poke around with that thing. Thanks!

1 hour ago, woe2you said:

Check out professional office suppliers. The desks tend to be large, sturdy (mine's 1" thick) and have cable management grommets pre-fitted - I picked up one from a surplus sale for £50, but I'd imagine a new one would be easily within your budget.

I did modify it slightly by adding a couple of Ikea Signum cable trays, and it turned out to be a great upgrade from my old glass desk. I went for a corner model, but they had straight ones too.

I like that, I'll check it out.

5 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

I saw that one and I liked it, but there's no cable management to be had, so I end up with the same problem I have now of cables dangling behind it totally visible.

You can get some cable tubes to reduce spaghetti.

products_17632_cable-tube-1.jpg

I use a plain steel frame table, a bit like this: http://empirefurniture.com.au/Custom-Top-Timmy-Steel-Frame-Table.aspx?p28484 (sorry for marsupial fumes, but no doubt you have similar things in the land of the almighty dollar).  Mine's 2 metres wide and a metre deep, modded with a large shelf that runs across the full width at the back (basically a plank sitting on bricks).  The monitors sit on the shelf, cables, power boards and miscellaneous crap all go under the shelf.  PC is underneath, but plenty of room for it on top.

IMO "desk" just means "small expensive table with crap you don't need".

WP_20160202_10_50_23_Pro2.png

So this thing is perfect and exactly what I want. Too bad it's made in yurop, so the price literally doubles with nonsensical export taxes (yes, export taxes. US customs is not charging $500 for a piece of furniture.) 

http://shop.prospecdesigns.eu/en_US/product-category/r2s/

7 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

I actually took a hardwood door without any decorations, stained it cherry, added some legs. Boom. 7ft long desk, wipe fucking open

Post some pics.  Flat top, I assume?  Solid exterior door, or a hollow interior door?  I'd be worried I'd slam my hand down on a hollow door-desk and crack it.

What did you do for a clear coat?  Poly, or something else?

I was actually gonna say "build your own".  Using a door is a damn good idea.

Check Rooms to Go as well....they also have a fairly cheap selection.  

As far as cable management I just used blue medical tape...the kind they use to secure the gauze after you have blood drawn.

Self Adherent Medical Tape - Amazon.com

It isn't overly sticky making moving time easier but still has enough bonding to keep everything in one place.   Plus it's cheap as hell, easy to find on surplus sites, comes in tons of colors, and looks nice if you wrap the entire cable bundle from top to bottom.

you think you have it bad...

a97u4G7.jpg

yes, those are two 19.5" monitors, 1600x900 and 1440x900. the mousemat is 30cm wide. and the worst part is I can't get a bigger desk because the room is too small, my computer "office" is actually an oversized broom cupboard. 

(also a better desktop background for the second monitor could of been showing -___-)

You can also buy a solid wood kitchen counter top and attach legs to it.  I've seen people use them as desks.  One person even added a sliding keyboard tray on the bottom.

On February 2, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Assassin7 said:

you think you have it bad...

a97u4G7.jpg

yes, those are two 19.5" monitors, 1600x900 and 1440x900. the mousemat is 30cm wide. and the worst part is I can't get a bigger desk because the room is too small, my computer "office" is actually an oversized broom cupboard. 

(also a better desktop background for the second monitor could of been showing -___-)

Weebs gonna boo.

On 2/2/2016 at 3:19 PM, Bavor said:

You can also buy a solid wood kitchen counter top and attach legs to it.  I've seen people use them as desks.  One person even added a sliding keyboard tray on the bottom.

JayZ did a video where he used Ikea Countertops to build 2 desks.  At the end he covers his Ikea desks in his office that have a nice cable management system as an option.