Rodrigopine

Pensacloa Advice

46 posts in this topic

I used islands and kept ships at my max range, the top turret gives a nice velocity boost that makes it easy to hit targets. I also used the Priority Target skill to let me know how many ships were targeting me so I knew when to break off 

1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

I used islands and kept ships at my max range, the top turret gives a nice velocity boost that makes it easy to hit targets. I also used the Priority Target skill to let me know how many ships were targeting me so I knew when to break off 

Yeah I use priority target too and the ship is fully upgraded. The biggest issue for me seems to be plunging fire from BBs at long ranges. On other cruisers like the Molotov and Fiji I can pretty easily evade most shots at extreme ranges. This thing is like a bullet magnet. lol

But I'm not laying total blame on the ship. I feel like there's something I'm doing incorrectly but haven't figured it out yet.

Pensacola has a good turning circle, and a quick rudder. Make sure to time BBs reloads (about 2 per one of your salvos) and turn. I find that turning into the shells often has a better result than turning away, however situational which direction you should turn. Use your AP on BBs too. USN 8" guns have crazy normalization angles and great pen, and at range, they can do nasty damage to superstructure and freeboard, just like up close. I liked to set fires one them, and as soon as they turn I would throw some AP at them. You have to be quite careful about how you move though, as I'm sure you've found that anything and everything hurts your side, and most things hurt the bow.

Yeah, the guns seems good. I have gotten some good shots on broadside BBs with AP. My biggest issue is survivability really. Everyone knows how squishy the ship is, so you don't really need priority target because once you're spotted you become the priority target. lol

With the Cleveland/Atlanta it wasn't quite as bad because the shell arcs are so high, but the 8" shoot flatter so I find it a bit more difficult to make use of islands to hide. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting with that because open water is not your friend. :)

To whom it may concern -

For any who have the Indianapolis and the Pepsicola, which one do you think is better and why?

11 minutes ago, xWulffx said:

To whom it may concern -

For any who have the Indianapolis and the Pepsicola, which one do you think is better and why?

Indi

It has radar, better armour and extra frontal guns+better firing angles help

Well, the Pepsi does seem pretty strong against other cruisers. (Deleted a Duca D'Aosta with three citadels and two regular pens at 12km last night.) Anti DD performance could be better. The alpha is good but the slower reload means they can often get into cover or concealment before your second salvo. Maneuverability is great. Just seems like a bit of an odd duck compared to other cruisers. 

Pensacola can and will fire over islands easily. Granted, the arcs aren't huge, like Atlanta or Cleve, but to compensate, you hit that much harder. As for survive ability, mash a and d keys, lots. This is how you play USN cruisers. They can generally turn well, and have higher RoF than other CAs, so you spend more time firing, and less time dropping off vision.

I am slowly improving. It's just a bit different from the other nations like IJN, German and Russian CAs that I've gotten up to tier 9. The Alpha strike potential against other cruisers is actually pretty amazing. Against Nurnbergs, Omahas, etc.. it's close to BB levels of damage especially in an ambush scenario. The ship just has a glass jaw because even angled it cannot take a hit. So that's probably the biggest adjustment for me to make.

@Rodrigopine Get priority target skill on your captain and all the steering mods you can put on your boat. Start turning away when they target you. Pause your turn once you get a good deflection angle (~max angle to the BB from parallel while keeping all/most of your guns on targets you are engaging). If shells aren't coming then continue to engage. If shells are coming, complete the turn and consider disengaging from the fight. The idea is to start dodging and reduce the time you need to reach a good deflection angle and reduce your profile relative to the BB as soon as possible. The rest is up to RNG. If you start turning once the shells are already in the air, it's typically too late. 

Pensacola has snake hips so shake it like Elvis. Time reloads and initiate a random turn about a second out from the shot. The best turn is a full turn to one side and then reverse the rudder over and turn back the other way to pull your stern out from the impact point. The mistake I see a lot of cruiser players making is just making a turn and catching a couple of shells on the stern deck because the stern drags the bow, particularly in ships with bad turn radius. The other mistake is being too predictable. Making the same turn twice tells me you're probably going to do it a third time (and I've probably already hit you the second time knowing that people tend to make the same evasive turn). 

Starting to get a better feel for this ship. Guns continue to perform strongly. Evading incoming fire is getting better. Probably the biggest thing to learn is it is not a very mistake or RNG tolerant ship. I only took one hit last night but it was from a Bismarck I was kiting and it still took about 80% of my health. I eventually burned him down but it was touch and go. Finished the match with 76K and 3 kills without dying which is an excellent result for me in this ship. :)

Yeah, I started working him over with AP but then that flank came down to me 1 v 1 the Bismarck and I had to kite him and he didn't give me his side at all at this point just preferring to use his front guns. So I ended up burning him down because of his angling.

@Rodrigopine Flamu's video on the Zao have a lot of good tips on how to stay alive in a cruiser that can be applied to cruisers other than zao as well. I recommend taking a look if you are still having trouble surviving in a high tier cruiser. 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, SoliDeoGloria said:

I've found, even angling, Bisko takes a good amount of damage, however, this was with NO, so different shells.

I was getting a lot of shatters/bounces from AP at about 11-12km. I had some good RNG for fires which helped.

@ncc81701 The Pensacola is definitely getting better for me. Survival can still be a little problematic but I'm dying more in the late game when the match has pretty much been decided. There's definitely a bit of a 'chase the squirrel' mentality when people see my Pepsi and that has definitely won some games especially on domination mode. I've had 3-4 ships chase me around islands and they might eventually get me however they've wasted so much time that my team easily takes the capture points. :)

33 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

I sold the Pensa after I was done. Good ship, but not one of my preferred ships for fun.

It's starting to grow on me. Dunno if I'll keep it but I've definitely had some good lulz with it over the weekend. People definitely underestimate it's AP power.

The move to tier 6 has just moved this beauty up in my estimation. Yeah, it's still made of paper, but at tier 6 that's less of an issue. And the guns are still those amazing Indie guns. Load AP, point at someone, get them to cease to be.

I just did for a full health Fiji and Algerie with four volleys. Sure they showed too much angle, but almost any angle is too much against these guns.

The main reason I post is to point out the 190k free captain xp you get for playing one game in the 'Cola. So do it.

Yeh, did one game where I murdered a host of broadsiding Omahas and sold it. It is a nice ship when top tier but if not, it really suffers. Range is bad, Conceal is bad and - dealbreaker for me on a low range ship - no torps.

Fiji at tier VII scratches the same itch only MUCH MUCH MUCH more. If it has to be tier VI, Budyonny > all.