Mesrith

Dev Q&A

21 posts in this topic

Hey Mesrith, what is your opinion on which ship/tier they might choose for US premium BB's?  One would assume a tier 8 for  wargaming's profits, but with the tier 4 Arkansas already in game, what might the second BB chosen be?

Well they have quite a few options.  I'd bet on at least one of the two being tier 8, as that would be a cash cow for them, and their tier 8 options are either already in the game (North Carolina-class) or have surviving examples that they could have already toured and modeled (South Dakota-class).  I'd say the other will probably be like Arkansas, in that it'll be another ship from an existing class.

• USS Texas is a New York-class ship that still exists and could be visited.  As far as I know there were minor differences so this would be an easy mid-tier premium for them to add.
  • USS Mississippi was a distinguished ship of the New Mexico-class.
  • USS West Virginia was one of the Colorado-class.  It received an extensive modernization after Pearl Harbor, and is usually mentioned as being what the final Colorado hull "should" be.  The problem here is that it would be better than a fully upgraded Colorado.
  • USS Washington was the second North Carolina-class so would be easy to implement.  It sank Kirishima at Second Guadalcanal so has some level of fame.
  • Two South Dakota-class ships still exist, the Massachusetts and the Alabama.  They could sell one of those ships and already have South Dakota done for the next US battleship tree.  The class is extremely similar to the North Carolina, so would slot in easily at tier 8 while offering something new to the game.

The only thing that would really surprise me is if they add a non-existing ship that isn't a South Dakota class.  Any new Standard Types or older would be out of left field IMO.

Maryland would probably make more sense than West Virginia, since it saw more action and wouldn't necessarily be more powerful than the current Colorado.

7 hours ago, Mesrith said:

Well they have quite a few options.  I'd bet on at least one of the two being tier 8, as that would be a cash cow for them, and their tier 8 options are either already in the game (North Carolina-class) or have surviving examples that they could have already toured and modeled (South Dakota-class).  I'd say the other will probably be like Arkansas, in that it'll be another ship from an existing class.

• USS Texas is a New York-class ship that still exists and could be visited.  As far as I know there were minor differences so this would be an easy mid-tier premium for them to add.
  • USS Mississippi was a distinguished ship of the New Mexico-class.
  • USS West Virginia was one of the Colorado-class.  It received an extensive modernization after Pearl Harbor, and is usually mentioned as being what the final Colorado hull "should" be.  The problem here is that it would be better than a fully upgraded Colorado.
  • USS Washington was the second North Carolina-class so would be easy to implement.  It sank Kirishima at Second Guadalcanal so has some level of fame.
  • Two South Dakota-class ships still exist, the Massachusetts and the Alabama.  They could sell one of those ships and already have South Dakota done for the next US battleship tree.  The class is extremely similar to the North Carolina, so would slot in easily at tier 8 while offering something new to the game.

The only thing that would really surprise me is if they add a non-existing ship that isn't a South Dakota class.  Any new Standard Types or older would be out of left field IMO.

If they go with West Virginia I can see it being a tier 8 prem actually. After their post Pearl Harbor rebuilds Tennessee, California, and West Virginia had what was essentially the same fire control setup as, and firepower very near, the new fast battleships of the North Carolina, South Dakota, and Iowa classes. The only real difference was that they used the cruiser style Mk34 director instead of the Mk38 that was featured on all of the fast battleships. This was done because after all of their other modifications they didn't have enough reserve stability left to mount the Mk38 way up high on the ship. They all also received 8 twin barrel 5"/38 mounts (same ones used in the fast battleships) and an extensive compliment of 40mm Bofors and 20mm AA guns. Their torpedo protection was also extensively modernized at this time. About the only thing that was altered was their propulsion setups (still limited to a top speed of 21 knots). In fact they were probably a little bit slower after their refits then they were before since the gained some mass, and were significantly wider thanks to the modernized torpedo bulges and the sponsons that were necessary to accommodate the new 5" gun turrets. (In fact they were wider then the Iowa's, and thus incapable of transiting the Panama Canal after they were rebuilt)

If implemented as a Tier 8 it should be a slow but solid battleship with good torpedo protection, the usual hellishly effective US high tier BB AA setup, and guns that mirror the performance of the Iowa's. I would make them less derpy then the NC's guns since they would have a slightly slower rate of fire and also because it only has 8 guns to begin with.

They could go with the South Dakota class from the 20's that was never built.  It was like the equivalent of the Montana for the 1920's classes of battleship.

The 1920s South Dakota would be too powerful for a premium tier 8, and that's the highest they will go.

I'm calling at least one of the two premiums being a Pearl Harbor target.  Anything from Arizona, California, West Virginia, etc.

The other might be an older BB class like Delaware or Florida at tier 4.

36 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

Educated guess: Arizona will be the next Project R reward ship.

As a tier 5 or a tier 6?  Its 14/45s should perform worse than the New Mexico's 14/50s.  If it's a tier 6 I'm not sure how much I'd play it over Warspite, but it would be nice to have something other than Arkansas or Marblehead to drop a US commander into.

3 hours ago, Mesrith said:

As a tier 5 or a tier 6?  Its 14/45s should perform worse than the New Mexico's 14/50s.  If it's a tier 6 I'm not sure how much I'd play it over Warspite, but it would be nice to have something other than Arkansas or Marblehead to drop a US commander into.

It would be pretty lol at 5 unless you gave it like, no AA. I think it'll be at T6.

My bet is on the Texas, similar to the NY class that's already in the game and they don't have a lower tier Prem US BB yet similar to the IJN Ishizuchi. 

For Tier 8 it's most likely a NC-class, the Washington, but it could be a South Dakota class which would mean any of them from South Dakota, Indiana, Massachusetts, or Alabama. 

I personally would like it to be the California though, being my home state and all. 

4 hours ago, ncc81701 said:

I personally would like it to be the California though, being my home state and all. 

Being originally from New England and having visited Battleship Cove a few times, as a youth, my vote would be for the Massachusetts. ;) 

48 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

Being originally from New England and having visited Battleship Cove a few times, as a youth, my vote would be for the Massachusetts. ;) 

I need to head out there at some point to meet my brother's in-laws family and plan on going to visit battleship cove if/when I get out there. 

An icing on the cake for US Prem BBs would be to include their state flag. I would love the fly the Bear Flag Republic flag over any of my US Ships :D

I haven't been in many years, but it was a pretty nice exhibit. Definitely worth seeing if you're ever in the area.

And I agree it'd be pretty cool to have the state flags on the US BBs. Petition anyone? lol

On 2/28/2016 at 1:28 PM, OnboardG1 said:
On 2/28/2016 at 1:28 PM, OnboardG1 said:

It would be pretty lol at 5 unless you gave it like, no AA. I think it'll be at T6.

If you gave it the configuration it had on 7 December 94 then it's AA setup would at, at best, comparable to a New York. Also, I don't think the Arizona ever mounted the Bofors 40mm. I think all it had for AA when it died at Pearl Harbor were 10 5"/25's, and 8 .50 cal MG's. In essence she would have an AA defense that would probably be marginally better then a stock New York. The massive AA fittings most people associate with US ships during the war didn't really start to appear until very late 42 - mid 43.

They said no to tier 8 premium battleships in the foreseeable future so no Norcals or Sodaks.

Pimped out Colorado would make for an interesting premium. A ship from an existing class with a fit completely different from any of the existing ones, instead of things like the Murmansk/Arkansas that are near exact copies of one of an existing ship's hull options.

42 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Pimped out Colorado would make for an interesting premium. A ship from an existing class with a fit completely different from any of the existing ones, instead of things like the Murmansk/Arkansas that are near exact copies of one of an existing ship's hull options.

The "C" hull Colorado has some serious AA, and only lacks speed in tier versus it's competitors.  A "B" hull Colorado would make for a decent premium BB at tier 7.

14 hours ago, Seraphil said:

They said no to tier 8 premium battleships in the foreseeable future so no Norcals or Sodaks.

As if WG never takes back what they said... I'll believe it when I see it. 

12 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

The "C" hull Colorado has some serious AA, and only lacks speed in tier versus it's competitors.  A "B" hull Colorado would make for a decent premium BB at tier 7.

Yeah "C" Hull Colorado have a surprisingly good amount of AA, especially for a Tier 7.... learned the hard way