Sapros

To Lowe or not to Lowe?

26 posts in this topic

I know a lot of people dislike it but I wonder how many of them have ever even driven it?. I got one on the test server, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I thought it was similar to the T34, another tank which many dislike and I happen to enjoy/perform reasonably well in. Both sluggish with crap hull armor, but tough turrets and relatively good guns. Low dpm but good accuracy and penetration, enough to consistently pump damage without abusing premium ammo.

I'm wondering what's it like in a T8 match that lasts more than a couple of minutes? The test server's mostly feeding me T10 blitzkriegs.

Is there any Lowe owner happy with the purchase that would recommend it to others? Primarily as a credit grinder to someone who enjoys HT gameplay?

I'm not much of a player and never played the T34, but I can do ok in the Lowe, bluish WN8 over ~50 games...

I myself like it a lot, and its imo a good tank, but its not for everyone AND you need a good crew, BIA + mobility perks + gun handling stuff + repairs.

I also like T34 and KV4, the lowe beiing a combination of those 2 (lowe doesnt really play like KT imo, its more T34 x KV4 as T34 x KT)

I'm a happy Lowe driver.

In tier 8 games, it plays like a sluggish, low DPM T32 with very good pen. It's gun depression isn't really bad, just enough to work some raises and dips in the terrain.

The hull armour isn't very good, but with careful angling and using it's depression, it can easily bounce most guns in the 150mm of pen range. It's actual turret armour isn't much better than its hull armour, it's because of its magic Stalin mantlet it becomes amazing at hull down. Always point your turret at the enemy, as any side shots of the mantlet are at auto bounce angle.

It's gun is sublime, even tho it's sluggish. Low DPM really makes you pick your shots carefully, and in tier 8 games, APCR is only really required for really bonkers armour tanks, like the T28, O-Ho, etc. It's accuracy isn't that amazing however, even fully aimed.

The sweet spot for engagement to is 150-250m, where it's armour and gun can shine.

For me, slow tank=piece of shit therefore i hate Lowe simply because it's slow turd on tracks. Just my opinion. However if you're looking at it purely for credit grinding, then ye it's good earner.

I used to hate the shit out of the Lowe, but now that I'm a better player, I think it's OK. 

Problem is, that's all it is. Extremely average. A solid 5/10. For its ridiculous price tag, there are much, much better tanks (T-34-3 comes to mind).

If you prefer fast medium gameplay as most unicums do, you're not gonna want a Lowe. If you want to go on a crazy credit-grinding spree and play 30 games in one sitting, you're not going to want those games to be in a Lowe.

It's too slow and the DPM is too shit. Missing or bouncing a shot hurts so damn much because you're stuck with a 10 second reload for a measly 320 alpha. Armor holds up quite well in Tier 8 games, but anything higher fucks your shit up, even when hull down. 

The skill cap is too low. There's only so much you can do on such an inflexible platform. 

I'd highly recommend buying a premium medium. It will scale with you as a player. The better you get, the better the tank will perform. Plus, all the new non-prefs are a solid 4k-5k gold less than the Lowe. So save up, and you can even buy two of them. 

Lowe is extremely powercreeped, and by no means is a joy to play. It gets the job done, but that gold is much better spent elsewhere. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Laser instapen gun, strong sidescrape potential, meaty HP, a tough frontal turret, and enough armor to roll over lowbies is always a strong combination. Getting the most out of the armor requires some serious positioning skill, but once you get that down the tank is perfectly fine. Had a lot of fun running it on a friend's account (Maybe Raz's? I actually don't remember off the top of my head), was seriously surprised by how sublime the gun is.

Whether it's actually worth buying serb another round of drinks is another story, sadly. Expensive bugger. There are cheaper, better tanks. Tanks that don't fight CGCs and T-22s.

I've been playing it a lot recently and I fucking hate it/ Can't make it work. The Armour seems to be mostly pretend, the gun is not as accurate as it should be and it's So. Fucking. Slow. If you can pick a good position where no one can get side shots and you're completely arty safe the it's workable, I frequently get targeted over the tier nines and tens around me though and I can't blame it on stats, kinda can on clan but I mostly think it's because everyone knows it's big slow and easy to kill. Arty players don't give a shit about doing what's good for their team, they just want to click something.

I infinitely prefer the T 34 as a tank, the extra alpha mightn't seem like a big deal but T 34s can scare tier 8 and below pubbies. No one's scared of a Lowe.

If I was buying a premium tank in the current market I'd be getting the M46 KR, T-34-3 or FCM.

5 hours ago, Rexxie said:

snip

^what he said + the shell velocity is nice. You shoot and the shell is on target, quickly. 

6 hours ago, Pyr0freak said:

I used to hate the shit out of the Lowe, but now that I'm a better player, I think it's OK. 

Problem is, that's all it is. Extremely average. A solid 5/10. For its ridiculous price tag, there are much, much better tanks (T-34-3 comes to mind).

If you prefer fast medium gameplay as most unicums do, you're not gonna want a Lowe. If you want to go on a crazy credit-grinding spree and play 30 games in one sitting, you're not going to want those games to be in a Lowe.

It's too slow and the DPM is too shit. Missing or bouncing a shot hurts so damn much because you're stuck with a 10 second reload for a measly 320 alpha. Armor holds up quite well in Tier 8 games, but anything higher fucks your shit up, even when hull down. 

The skill cap is too low. There's only so much you can do on such an inflexible platform. 

I'd highly recommend buying a premium medium. It will scale with you as a player. The better you get, the better the tank will perform. Plus, all the new non-prefs are a solid 4k-5k gold less than the Lowe. So save up, and you can even buy two of them. 

Lowe is extremely powercreeped, and by no means is a joy to play. It gets the job done, but that gold is much better spent elsewhere. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Indeed, for the price of a Lowe, you can buy a T-34-3, an absolute beast of a WN8 farmer and the closest thing to the Type 59 that you can get :)

If you have anything above a 85% crew in the T-34-3, it really shines, while the Lowe sort of needs a crew with full repairs to really be comfortable to play at all...

The pubbies on your team have to be predictable when you play the Lowe or else you spend a lot of time driving around trying to get shots or trying not to get swarmed on a failing flank.  Arty focuses you because you are big and slow.  

The Lowe has about 350 DPM less than the tiger II and worse mobility, worse gun handling, longer aim time, and worse accuracy(after the recent Tiger II accuracy buff) so don't expect it to play like a Tiger II.  Also the Lowe has less frontal hull armor than the Tiger II and a slower turret and tack traverse than the Tiger II.

I guess it is more like a T34 with better accuracy and gun handling than like a Tiger II.  I feel that the Lowe is worse off in tier 10 battle than the T34 is.

I bought the Lowe when it was on sale and I had a ton of extra gold.  I don't regret the purchase, but I don't play the Lowe as much as I thought I would.  Its something you are better off playing when platooned.

If the Lowe is on discount and you really need a credit grinder + german heavy crew trainer go for it (a very very special combination?). I myself only drive it when i grind crewskills on crew xp double events. But the low speed limits its skillcap which creates boring gameplay. It just cannot reach critical brawling corners in time like an IS-3 or Tiger 2. You have to adjust your gameplay accordingly.

+ Side Armor, Gun, Turret, Gun Depression, Viewrange, Gun Elevation 38°!!

- Frontal Armor, DPM, Size, Mobility (slower than T34; get Clutch Braking!)

All you need to know about the Lowe. Now go make disgusting amounts of money.

Alternatively just go drive an IS-6 tank.

I'm one of those people who had a Löwe as a first T8....

Needless to say I sucked with it. A lot.

I've however played a few games with it somewhat recently and can make a few observations:

The armor is workable, but not reliable. You can bounce a bunch while side scraping, but as it was mentioned, it requires some heavy duty positioning skills. However, the turret is not as strong as one might think. It cannot be angled for one. It also can be penned by AP from a few T8s, most T9s and pretty much all T10s who care to aim. Basically, side scrapping against bad players is alright... but if you meet folks who can actually aim, then they will both out-alpha you, and out-DPM you.

The maneuverability, mobility and soft stats of the platform suck. Want to go somewhere? Book in advance. Want to relocate on the map? Call a tow truck. Point is, never go somewhere "just in case" in the Löwe. You'll waste so much time. Better off making a smart choice early on, and sticking with it. (See Maus, T95 and other similarly stealthy vehicles (I say stealthy because they leave no traces. Grass, plants and trees regrow. Buildings are rebuilt. All of it faster than the tank moves.))

The gun is where this machine shines. DPM is crap, sure, but you'll hit your target at 400+ meters 50% more often than you would in a T34., and with half the aiming time.

What I've found so far is that the Löwe can be used as a heavy, but its success comes down to luck. Will the enemy actually be there? Will they know how to aim? Will they flank you?

If you don't like to rely on luck too much, treat the Löwe like a TD with a turret. Find spots where you can side scrape, try to stay at 300+ meters. Distance increases your armor efficiency, but basically does not affect your ability to hit targets, thanks to the laser gun.

Overall, the Löwe is not a good carry tank. Lack of mobility and unreliable armor means that you rely on teammates a lot to win. It can however be a lot of fun, and is definitely a nice credit printing machine.

I think this was my first 8, definitely my first prem.  So I sucked, bad.  Rage sold it.  Bought it back at some point and rage sold it again.  Yep, rage sold a prem, twice.

That was probably in my first 3k games.  I'm a little tempted to get it back now thats its had some buffs and I should be a better player now.

^^

As long as you cant play the King Tiger at least blue (better low purple) level solo without spamming premium rounds, you ll probably be tempted to rage sell the Löwe a 3rd time.

That tank requires patience, map knowledge and most important the ability to read a battle, if you want to achieve a positive WR.

15 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

^^

As long as you cant play the King Tiger at least blue (better low purple) level solo without spamming premium rounds, you ll probably be tempted to rage sell the Löwe a 3rd time.

That tank requires patience, map knowledge and most important the ability to read a battle, if you want to achieve a positive WR.

I haven't played the KT in at least 10k battles either.  Another one I'm tempted to re-buy and then rage sell.

Honestly, re-buying either is pretty low on my priorities.

I bought the E75 probably 2 years ago, played 50 games.  Let it sit, took a year off and recently came back.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit even though I suck at 9-10s.

I had a lot on my plate lately and forgot about this thread. Thanks everyone for the healthy feedback.

Shit mobility, sees tier tens constantly, low alpha, great accuracy, troll turret armour. Had it from the day it went on sale, sold it about a year ago. Got my money's worth from it. Always regret my brother making me but this instead of type59

i am thinking of rebuying it...

any reason why i shouldn't do it?

EDIT. any SERIOUS reason?

"it's bad it's not russian" is not a serious reason