Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeLiAL124

New build for Mastercam X9

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys it's been a while :)

I am looking at my 3rd build, I think the Z97 build still looks like a good build on an under 2k$$ budget.

What do you think of these parts?  I have a similar Z87 build at home and it runs Solidworks flawless.

build 2016.png

If you're going with Nvidia cards then either get a GTX 970 or a GTX 980Ti. The GTX 980 doesn't perform that much better than the 970 so it's not really worth the extra cash...

all i can say is get more then 8 gigs of ram, because thats what my pc at work has and its not enough... cant simulate parts that are too complexe or freezes.

If you dont need CUDA for anything, maybe look at an R9 Fury as a gpu instead of the 980? The fury is a lot newer, and provides better performance/dollar. 

I sort of feel like with a build like that you should at least get Noctuas for coolers.

Money isn't a huge issue for this build, the fan I chose is what I use at home and it works just fine so I didn't think I needed a Noctua. I have a Phanteks 14 on my other workstation build.  I see no cooling difference as I will never overclock this computer.

The power supply being Platinum 760w is overkill, but I know I can put anything my heart desires in trouble free then.

I am debating upping to 32GB of ram as big parts/toolpaths suck up memory fast.

I will look at it a bit harder but I will never buy an AMD product, my brother works for Intel lol.

I have a 770 in my home computer and it runs solidworks perfect with massive assemblies, I would think a 970 or 980 should be good.

As Crossfader suggested - stack up some RAM, my brother accidentally ordered 24 GB instead of 16 GB.

#noragrets :D  

4 hours ago, OOPMan said:

If you're going with Nvidia cards then either get a GTX 970 or a GTX 980Ti. The GTX 980 doesn't perform that much better than the 970 so it's not really worth the extra cash...

If its a workstation a 970 might be a bad idea because of the whole 3.5GB thing, I dunno how intensive the applications you intend to run are on GPU VRAM are but that could be a reason to not get a 970.

3 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

I sort of feel like with a build like that you should at least get Noctuas for coolers.

Noctuas are overpriced crap. They only manage to be quiet by not pushing any air, which is kinda the whole point of a fan.

4 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

If its a workstation a 970 might be a bad idea because of the whole 3.5GB thing, I dunno how intensive the applications you intend to run are on GPU VRAM are but that could be a reason to not get a 970.

Maybe. It's hard to say for sure without doing some benchmarks. 

Seems like some guys beat us to it though: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Using-a-GeForce-GPU-in-Solidworks-2016-751/

Based on that review, the 980 doesn't offer much over the 970 for Solid Works.

off topic, but

hory shet, I thought you were ded

welcome back!

1 hour ago, woe2you said:

Noctuas are overpriced crap. They only manage to be quiet by not pushing any air, which is kinda the whole point of a fan.

Noctuas are crap?
Is this an alternate universe?

Noctuas are better than most mid-tier liquid coolers.

36 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Noctuas are crap?
Is this an alternate universe?

Noctuas are better than most mid-tier liquid coolers.

The NH-D14 and NH-D15 coolers are good, but that's more a function of the cooler itself than the fans. Noctua fans have a long history of absolutely crap cfm/dBA ratio, especially considering their price.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0