Serene_Potato

Struggling with the SU 122 44

22 posts in this topic

Can't really find anywhere to snipe.

When I asked, "how do you play this tank", the funniest (and least helpful answer) I got was "load rammer, vents, and jam yourself up their asses"

Difficult to use it as an assault gun too, even in a top tier game.

Ah yes, and my main issue is either being too passive, having my team kill everything while I wait for unspotted tanks to get spotted where I'm aiming, or I get too impatient and aggro the enemy, which tends to get me killed, even in a tier 7 game.

Any advice, especially for tier 9 games?

Thanks much :)

Upvoting because I have no idea how to non-turreted TD and wasted 30$ buying it.

8 minutes ago, Serene_Potato said:

Can't really find anywhere to snipe.

When I asked, "how do you play this tank", the funniest (and least helpful answer) I got was "load rammer, vents, and jam yourself up their asses"

Difficult to use it as an assault gun too, even in a top tier game.

Ah yes, and my main issue is either being too passive, having my team kill everything while I wait for unspotted tanks to get spotted where I'm aiming, or I get too impatient and aggro the enemy, which tends to get me killed, even in a tier 7 game.

Any advice, especially for tier 9 games?

Thanks much :)

You do want to shove your tank up the enemies ass, but heres a bit of tip: Use your DPM to pull them into taking a bad shot. You miss a mid-range shot? Who cares, you're shooting again by the time they try and shoot you. Make them mad because they cant hit you even between shots w/o taking damage

17 minutes ago, DoggieKruger said:

Upvoting because I have no idea how to non-turreted TD and wasted 30$ buying it.

Me neither. Aggresion is my forte and it gets me killed in TDs.

Luckily I bought it with gold from tourneys

20 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

You do want to shove your tank up the enemies ass, but heres a bit of tip: Use your DPM to pull them into taking a bad shot. You miss a mid-range shot? Who cares, you're shooting again by the time they try and shoot you. Make them mad because they cant hit you even between shots w/o taking damage

He is also from the SEA server. Something us NA people can't comprehend. 

24 minutes ago, rojo180 said:

He is also from the SEA server. Something us NA people can't comprehend. 

Agreed.

Honestly if aggression is your forte then the SU-122-44 should be your dream tank, i find it works best in 1 on 1 situations b/c you will out DPM anything you face. also make sure to angle/wiggle after each shot, it may sound difficult due to the non-turret nature of the tanks but it works once you learn how. 

yeah. the SU is a very in your face tank. you basically have to out DPM everything. Sniping really doesn't work because of terrible aim time plus limited gun traverse (trust me, I've tried doing TD missions requiring you to snipe in it, it doesn't work)

Armor scheme boils down to baiting snap shots, while blasting everything in your arc. I can't give tips for tier 9 games, because iirc this TD doesn't see tier 9 games....

My ace game. Think of yourself as a medium tank with a really big gun.

Another game, 1st class iirc.

P.S. if you are wondering i was camping at the back in the overlord game for so long - it's because I had the inkling suspicion that half the enemy team was at 9/0 (was mostly correct) and I wanted to thin the numbers out a bit before I get into the brawl. The front of the Su is angled, so getting shot at close quarters from slopes would negate my armor advantage. That unfortunately cost me the radley's, as you can see from how many shots I missed.

32 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

Agreed.

Honestly if aggression is your forte then the SU-122-44 should be your dream tank, i find it works best in 1 on 1 situations b/c you will out DPM anything you face. also make sure to angle/wiggle after each shot, it may sound difficult due to the non-turret nature of the tanks but it works once you learn how. 

Quite difficult to out DPM Patton KRs though :P

And Asians don't travel alone. Usually.

Just now, Serene_Potato said:

Quite difficult to out DPM Patton KRs though :P

And Asians don't travel alone. Usually.

you can out DPM them, you have like the same reload with 150 more alpha, you just don't have as much health

12 minutes ago, Serene_Potato said:

And Asians don't travel. Usually.

FTFY

The SU-122-44 makes a good berserker-suicide vessel I found. By YOLO'ing, I would usually net 1k - 2.5k damage but it's such a pathetic way of conducting matches. It happens by accident most of the time by overextending.

SU-122-44 needs a new review. TD-unfriendly meta combined with bad gun handling mitigated ironically by overwatch positions that required the least amount of shifting makes the SU the poster child of abused and neglected TDs.

I've see people make it work like a charm but the idiosyncrasies and how they amount to the overall playstyle is so alien to me now. 

2 hours ago, sundanceHelix said:

FTFY

Home is where the campfire is.

When I can I'll get some replays up, probably after this coming patch since that drops this week

Some old replay on my YT channel

Surprisingly to me, thats the only one I currently have there. I know I have several masteries I uploaded, but those are from some very old clients. I dont think Ive played this tank in... 6-8 months

Thanks for the advice. I, too, have had a heckuva time trying to make the SU work from close range or long range. The only moderate success I have had has been playing aggressive in a platoon with other SUs; a platoon can really buzzsaw the reds.

It strikes me odd that people are struggling in it, but thinking about it, I legitimately can't remember the last time I even saw one in game, over my last 500 games I've played.

It used to be the poster child of "OMG OP TD tank, Nerf!" But that meta has long since gone. Nowadays, the most common case mate TD's you see at high tiers are the Ferdinand, JagPanther II, Jageroo, AT-15, Tortoise, Object 268 and both Russian tier 9's Oh, and the E-25, T28, T30, T95 and the T110E3/4.

Literally, it feels like TD's are becoming a dying breed in my eyes. You would be lucky to see more than 4 a game at peak times on EU now.

For tier 9 heavies: load HE, it always does damage. I carry 8 rounds. 100-150 rolls are okayish when you have 6.33 reload.

My setup: rammer/vents/binocs, food instead of FE.

In a tier 7 games I play as I would have played my meds, baiting shots, charging isolated opponents. In a tier 8 I work second line or 1st line support, squeezing shots in between enemy reloads. Tier 9 -- I work as a TD, snipey-snipey with AP for papermeds and HE for everything else. 

I manage to 65%/2000 avg solo, but It's potential is much greater. I think, best players have like 2500 avg in it, but it may be a relict of an old meta.

You may check replays here: 
http://www.vbaddict.net/player-replays/kerosene_heals-ru-8420c1c966d2feae40f7c4836ec4990f

Because of the angled slope, use corners and ridge lines to peek effectively, if you fire fast enough the enemy has a near ricochet angle on a lot of your tank profile if he chooses to return fire. Also the camo on the SU was not nerfed so use relatively close range double bushes to camo snipe the shit out of enemies from surprisingly close range.

17 hours ago, neokai said:

Armor scheme boils down to baiting snap shots, while blasting everything in your arc. I can't give tips for tier 9 games, because iirc this TD doesn't see tier 9 games....

P.S. if you are wondering i was camping at the back in the overlord game for so long - it's because I had the inkling suspicion that half the enemy team was at 9/0 (was mostly correct) and I wanted to thin the numbers out a bit before I get into the brawl. The front of the Su is angled, so getting shot at close quarters from slopes would negate my armor advantage. That unfortunately cost me the radley's, as you can see from how many shots I missed.

This tank does see tier 9. It does not have preferential MM. (122mm with pref at tier 7 would be ludicrously broken OP, would be like making the IS-3A have preferential MM.)

As for baiting shots, I recommend (even if it sounds kinda odd) jamming your tank into a slope so that it faces upwards by ~4-10 degrees (UFP becomes more angled, almost to autobounce point), and angle the side at autobounce at the same time to maximize troll factor. Try to keep the lower plate hidden when doing this and try this when enemies are ready to fire after reloading.

8 hours ago, Flametz said:

This tank does see tier 9. It does not have preferential MM. (122mm with pref at tier 7 would be ludicrously broken OP, would be like making the IS-3A have preferential MM.)

As for baiting shots, I recommend (even if it sounds kinda odd) jamming your tank into a slope so that it faces upwards by ~4-10 degrees (UFP becomes more angled, almost to autobounce point), and angle the side at autobounce at the same time to maximize troll factor. Try to keep the lower plate hidden when doing this and try this when enemies are ready to fire after reloading.

Fair enough, I thought it had pref mm (together with E-25).

Using slopes to maximise angle is a good idea, though you can't really fire effectively from it (quite poor gun dep iirc). And honestly I was playing the Su-122/44 back when Jp Heavies was fresh, so HE-does-damage runs both ways...

I avoid engaging tier 9 heavies and TDs unless it's opportunistic shots.

6 hours ago, neokai said:

Fair enough, I thought it had pref mm (together with E-25).

Using slopes to maximise angle is a good idea, though you can't really fire effectively from it (quite poor gun dep iirc). And honestly I was playing the Su-122/44 back when Jp Heavies was fresh, so HE-does-damage runs both ways...

I avoid engaging tier 9 heavies and TDs unless it's opportunistic shots.

Generally speaking using slopes is for use against an enemy which you know has a long reload, and you end up trading 1-2 for 1 hit (but the hit you take doesn't penetrate). Kinda wastes the 122/44's DPM but it's the safer route, especially against higher penetration (220+) guns.

Trying to do TD-15 for Stug in this shitbox... This thing needs a massive fucking buff, only thing it's good against is T5 tanks...