brumbarr

T-54 AP only 3 mark Quest

59 posts in this topic

Hi fellow tankers!

Everyone nows the reputation of the Heat-54, ' its OP ', 'heatspammer tank' are popular opinions about this tank. But what if you take a different approach.  I am anti premium ammo, before you start whining , let me explain.  I am gonna keep it short. Gold ammo breaks the balance of this game, it shifts the meta and makes certain tanks unbalanced, either OP or useless. It also changed the mentality of wot players , they feel 'entitled' to pen everything. Now, I dont like gold, but its in the game, so I use it. What grinds my gears is people saying soem tanks are shit without gold. One of the most common tanks here is the T-54. I call BS! 

So I took the challenge, I got the T-62A and 140 without a single shot of heat. Now , I am gonna prove you can do well wih AP only. I am gonna get 3 Marks on this tank, or thats the plan. :)

So, first off, I have a  4 skill crew, full camo, bia, I run optics, vstabs and rammer.  I also use a big repair kit, automatic fire ext and food.

The target damage is 3559, that is damage + maximum of spotting/tracking.

The big question is, how do you reach this without gold, the answer is: totaly change your mindset.  You need to have a different playstyle, always  looking for flanking, running away from frotal engagments etc. But the most important part of getting 3 marks without gold ammo is the assist damage. You will do less damage with AP only, so substitute this with more spotting and tracking.   

Currently I am at 92,07 percent, with 3240 combined.  My last session of 37 battles I was averaging 2338 damage and 1363 assist, which is 3701 combined. So I am on the right level, I just need to keep playing like this. The key is consistency, I had 5 games with only 2 or 1 shots  of damage, those drag you down alot. You need to minimize these bad games. I still have to learn that.

I will report back after each session and report how I did and what I learned.

I hope I  inspired you to look at this tank in a different way and try some new challenges.

Brumbarr

This is why I suck:

25 minutes ago, brumbarr said:

The key is consistency, I had 5 games with only 2 or 1 shots  of damage, those drag you down alot. You need to minimize these bad games. I still have to learn that.

But HEAT on T54 is useful in one situation where you need it the most:

To preform consistently on corridor maps.

Making T54 work with AP is possible I guess, but then again WG is bullshit at balancing other tanks so I'm gonna be bullshitter also TBH.

Getting called a gold noob hurts my feelers. :feelsbad::serb:

Good luck OP. It's possible to get 3MoE without constant gold spam. Most times when I start slinging gold I don't wanna switch back because I may meet something I can't pen, so I feel bad about my credits while proceeding with the gold spam  at targets that don't even much pen. :feelsbad:

6 minutes ago, no_name_cro said:

Making T54 work with AP is possible I guess, but then again WG is bullshit at balancing other tanks so I'm gonna be bullshitter also TBH.

The key word there is  'usefull' , so its not needed, its better for sure, but not needed :)

The T-54 is actually a pretty balanced tank with AP, it is unique and has its own strong points, with AP you are forced yo use thse strong points to the max and minimize your weaknesses by tactical descissions, not by pressing 2 :)

4 minutes ago, Siimcy said:

Getting called a gold noob hurts my feelers. :feelsbad::serb:

Good luck OP. It's possible to get 3MoE without constant gold spam. Most times when I start slinging gold I don't wanna switch back because I may meet something I can't pen, so I feel bad about my credits while proceeding with the gold spam  at targets that don't even much pen. :feelsbad:

You gold nub! 

For al my previouw 3 marks, I loaded about a 1/3 of gold, so I am not innocent either, makes it a damm lot easier though :)

5 minutes ago, brumbarr said:

The key word there is  'usefull' , so its not needed, its better for sure, but not needed :)

The T-54 is actually a pretty balanced tank with AP, it is unique and has its own strong points, with AP you are forced yo use thse strong points to the max and minimize your weaknesses by tactical descissions, not by pressing 2 :)

Yeah I don't think so, Basically you're fucked versus most HTs in corridor maps. When teams and maps force you in frontal engagement you're pretty much fucked with AP.

Example: Only viable place to pen E75 with AP is cupola, and even that is not 100% pen with AP.

Do beyond everything in your power to avoid engaging E5's, GE HTs, Jpn HTs, most tier 9 TDs, STI's, IS3s, KV4's, other T54's, and several other tanks frontally. Unless the map rotation is favorable, dont bother playing this tank. Make sure you get as much spotting assistance as possible, even if that means shooting tracks frontally just to allow someone else to get that damage. 

200mm pen with AP on a tier 9 just doesn't suit the current meta and maps. You're forced into too many frontal engagements which favor those who spend the least time aiming

13 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

And with 220-230mm AP and the current gun handling that tank would be fine, if thed 'd remove the HEAT completly and WG starts to do something about corridor meta.

Imagine gold ammo completely disappearing, hello my lovely E5. :serb:

One example of WG's fine balance would be T54 with AP versus O-Ho. 

T54 rolls 201 mm on average, O-Ho is 200 mm all around the front.

I can't think of a worse offender of "broken due to sprem" than the T-54. 

The tank jumps from a measly 201 pen to a massive 330! Holy fucking shit, is that ever broken. A huge 129 pen difference, available to anyone who has the credits to use/abuse it. 

Truly, retarded cases such as this should have been handled by WG long ago. Without reworking the mechanic, tanks should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. 

Anyway, good luck in your challenge bro! I hope you achieve it and show these teach these goldspammas how2playtonks :dealdog:

If you're eschewing HEAT, would the D-54 with its 219 pen be a viable option? As it is, 201 pen struggles with a number of tier 8 tanks, notably the O-Ho and the post-buff IS-3 frontally, never mind the IS-6 which is due to be buffed tomorrow. You are trading off gun handling, but 219 pen is actually reliable.

2 hours ago, brumbarr said:

What grinds my gears is people saying soem tanks are shit without gold. One of the most common tanks here is the T-54. I call BS!

It's not that the tank is "Shit" without gold. it's just so much better with it. When i'm forced into fighting heavies. (E100's, now E5's) why should i not load gold?

I just never understood the mentality that we should limit ourselves, knowing when to use which ammo type is a skill.

28 minutes ago, Gandaran said:

It's not that the tank is "Shit" without gold. it's just so much better with it. When i'm forced into fighting heavies. (E100's, now E5's) why should i not load gold?

I just never understood the mentality that we should limit ourselves, knowing when to use which ammo type is a skill.

To be fair 215b, Jagtig, and m48 gold slinging isnt exactly skill. :serb:

Uh, yeah you can 3 mark anything without using gold.  I literally spam it now because I'm lazy and I love the tears it produces.  Tears run my tanks yo gotta keep up the supply

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

If you're eschewing HEAT, would the D-54 with its 219 pen be a viable option? As it is, 201 pen struggles with a number of tier 8 tanks, notably the O-Ho and the post-buff IS-3 frontally, never mind the IS-6 which is due to be buffed tomorrow. You are trading off gun handling, but 219 pen is actually reliable.

I have always wanted to try that other gun to see if the extra pen is a fair trade for slightly worse gun handling and reload.

4 hours ago, no_name_cro said:

^^

IS-7/E100/E-75 fronts, which you can't pen with AP. Maus side even, E100 side possible bounces. E5 LFP, etc etc etc...

1 hour ago, Flaksmith said:

I have always wanted to try that other gun to see if the extra pen is a fair trade for slightly worse gun handling and reload.

What extra pen? 330 = 330. :serb:

But yeah, I think it isn't - it gets worse dispersion when moving the turret and after firing on top of slower reload(I mean E50 and Patton with ~220 pen get way better gun handling), BUT it gets faster shell speed.

2 minutes ago, no_name_cro said:

What extra pen? 330 = 330. :serb:

But yeah, I think it isn't - it gets worse dispersion when moving the turret and after firing on top of slower reload(I mean E50 and Patton with ~220 pen get way better gun handling), BUT it gets faster shell speed.

If you insist on using AP, though, the difference between 219 and 201 is the difference between losing a brawl to a T-54 and potentially winning. Or the difference between penning the front of an IS-3 or IS-6 and not.

2 minutes ago, sr360 said:

If you insist on using AP, though, the difference between 219 and 201 is the difference between losing a brawl to a T-54 and potentially winning. Or the difference between penning the front of an IS-3 or IS-6 and not.

Full AP? Yeah I'd go for D-54 myself then. But I don't really see that gun in this meta anymore. I guess it was very good gun in pre-HD T54 days.

As in - get hull down with it, BL-10 had biggest pen and you can aim steady since they have to aim for those troll cupolas.

1 minute ago, no_name_cro said:

Full AP? Yeah I'd go for D-54 myself then. But I don't really see that gun in this meta anymore. I guess it was very good gun in pre-HD T54 days.

As in - get hull down with it, BL-10 had biggest pen and you can aim steady since they have to aim for those troll cupolas.

That's what I was alluding to. The OP is using a full-AP loadout, and with the most recent series of armor buffs to tier 8-10 heavies, 201 pen is just anemic.