ToshibaTheFriendlyZombie

FV4202(P) post "buff" thoughts?

81 posts in this topic

So what's everyones thoughts on the FV4202p since the *ahem* "buffs"? I played it pre buff and post....it feels pretty much exactly the same? I think the DPM just kills the effectivness of the tank - that and the fact it can barely flex because it is still slow as shit and that there are better sniper prem tanks out there....so how are you uni/blunicorns playing it? (other than not playing it :P )

Edit: also, is it me or is the credit making reallllyy shit on this?

slightly less shit is still shit... worse tier 8 medium prem, Mutz and M46 are far better and bromwell for british crew is FAR FAR superior

It's actually a pretty solid tank. The other medium tanks in it's tier aren't really that fantastic, so it's not like driving the FV is totally uncompetitive.The turret is worse than the T-34-1, but with better gun dep. The DPM is worse than the Comet and the Panther, but the alpha is better. And the DPM is less of an issue, since it gets a huge amount of health, a full 100 extra over the panther! All in all, not a bad tier 7 prem.

11 minutes ago, Kolni said:

7SMBD6Z.jpg

there are only shit players, not tanks :drunk: 

poEIKUJ.jpg

:QBSeal:

Is there any comparison between old and new FV4202 P?

8 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

poEIKUJ.jpg

:QBSeal:

Is there any comparison between old and new FV4202 P?

With the buff plus the new motion physics it handles much more like it used to: slow top speed but it accelerates to it almost immediately.

1 hour ago, OperatorError said:

It's actually a pretty solid tank. The other medium tanks in it's tier aren't really that fantastic, so it's not like driving the FV is totally uncompetitive.The turret is worse than the T-34-1, but with better gun dep. The DPM is worse than the Comet and the Panther, but the alpha is better. And the DPM is less of an issue, since it gets a huge amount of health, a full 100 extra over the panther! All in all, not a bad tier 7 prem.

LOL....i actually thought you were serious for a second! Best reply evar!

1 hour ago, Kolni said:

7SMBD6Z.jpg

there are only shit players, not tanks :drunk: 

How dafuq do you get that damage? Even on my good games, firing non stop I struggle to break 2000 damage! I'm using rammer only at this stage...I can only presume you have BiA vents and maybe food too?

2 minutes ago, ToshibaTheFriendlyZombie said:

LOL....i actually thought you were serious for a second! Best reply evar!

How dafuq do you get that damage? Even on my good games, firing non stop I struggle to break 2000 damage! I'm using rammer only at this stage...I can only presume you have BiA vents and maybe food too?

I am usually around 2300 DPG after games in this, I just had two aces above 4k damage back to back shooting the avg damage up a bit :P 

I'm also very used to the tank. I know it inside out since the old days and it feels pretty much the same except when your shots roll below 200 damage 5 times in a row :feelsbad: 

I've always played very generally in these kind of tanks meaning I don't really have to flex around a lot making overall speed not matter. At this point I'd rather have great acceleration and 35kph max instead of the WZ-111-14 which has like a 55kph top speed but takes ages getting there. I prefer combat speed meaning I stop and start a lot, which the FV is great at, especially for a tier 8. But there's no going around the fact that this tank is really fucking shitty. It gets such a horrible gun (great pen though). Keeping it british with non-existent bloom really would've helped it and actually made it somewhat balanced. I really do wish that they'd kept the old turret at least. 8's could pen it with gold fairly easily and it'd have been a much stronger tank as well.

I've found the post buff 4202 to be consistently mediocre. It isn't fast enough to flank, it doesn't have enough armour to brawl and it's alpha is too low to trade. When you're running low on team mates and it's time to carry, it will let you down and you'd be better off in almost any other tank.

But it's gun is fairly accurate, has high pen and 10 degrees of gun depression. I've found that this makes the 4202 really good at sitting behind your team mates, on the reverse side of a hill, and farming sniper damage off of someone else's hard work and effort. Farming damage won't win games with so little DPS, but it does print credits. It's also fairly easy to play, so I'd call it a low effort, low reward tank as it's really easy to make some sort of damage contribution in a match, but if you really try to push it to secure a win it will just let you down.

Sooo... Vstab+rammer but what on third slot? GLD.. with 2,2 aim time seem not worth it, vents or optics?

Optics probably as it has 390 view range and sees tier10s..

11 minutes ago, TohtoriP said:

Sooo... Vstab+rammer but what on third slot? GLD.. with 2,2 aim time seem not worth it, vents or optics?

Optics probably as it has 390 view range and sees tier10s..

I use optics atm....but tempted to try vents...but dont know if i can justify it for 50-60hp odd dpm vs losing all that vision

14 minutes ago, ToshibaTheFriendlyZombie said:

I use optics atm....but tempted to try vents...but dont know if i can justify it for 50-60hp odd dpm vs losing all that vision

Yes, with proper crew (bia, snap shot, recon, sit aware) vents give 0,01 better dispersion (0,31 vs 0,30), 0,05 better aim time and 40 more dpm. The ground resistance values are so good anyway that there vents won´t make any noticeable difference... optics give 458 view range, vents only 427 with sit awareness and recon. Optics is a much better choice.

I mean, it is basically on par with the centurion now, which is quite average for a t8 medium. The problem is that t8 mediums just suck. Most mediums t8 and below need an overhaul. Health scaling below t7 period needs an overhaul.

14 minutes ago, Graf-Eisen said:

I mean, it is basically on par with the centurion now, which is quite average for a t8 medium.

Is it? The cent is still faster, has a stronger turret, and has lower MM weight. Seems like trash compared to the cent honestly. The only reason the cent has decent stats is because the difference between 200 and 226 pen means the world to the pubsters who wont touch APCR or learn what aiming means. Most T8 MTs are better than it assuming liberal gold use, which makes the tank downright poor for anyone blue+. Being a worse version of an already poor tank in a tier where your main purpose is to make T9/10 players feel good about themselves seems like a bad gig.

well considering the new physics are making everything feel like its constantly in lakeville valley that would of sorta cancelled out any terrain resistance buffs it got...

This speed.. this dpm. I had fun in the CDC even though I don´t like tanks with no armor. But this.. this is simply bad. I make more credits in a T-25 at tier5 than this. Only good things are pen and depression. Alpha and dpm are pitiful, speed is awful, ammo cost is awful, armor is working sometimes (1/10) and only with good rng. Find a ridge, some friends to make enemy scared (because this tank sure won´t scare them), and work on that and this tank is bearable. If no ridge, GTFO.

Thank god I have an IS-6.

Wake me up when they fix the model.

Would be more of a buff than what WG have just done. 

Also because it would actually look decent then.

Call me a nutter but I like it, sure it's slow as shit, sure the flat areas on the sides of the turret get penned the whole time, sure from the front it isn't the best looking tank. But I like the look of it when I'm driving it and that's all that matters to me. I dunno it kinda feels dependable, like I can switch off do 1700 and just swan around pretending I can keep up with the meds. I'm not a high flying player,  I do stupid shit the whole time (take today for example 2000 wn8 :nmad: and worse than that only just aove 50%wins) but its comfortable like ive been friends for years and am just re getting to know it (even though I played the original fv 4 or 5 times only) 

I like it. The thing hits 35km/h pretty fast and manages to stay there forever, no matter what the terrain is, has boss on-the-move accuracy, pens whatever it hits at its tier, the armor is somewhat trollish. Nothing stellar, but still pretty solid for a free T8 prem.

I played this on CT, and all i can say (with 2500 DPG - 10games sample) it's a fuckin turd. I'm not unica or shit like that, but thing is so slow and doesn't have armor in return. Gun is nice, and pretty much hits good, but DPM is shitty (FCM have better for example) and 35 kph is terrible for med.

I'll left it in garage for maybe some fun SH games, but on random is too slow. 

Has anyone three-marked it yet? I kinda want it, because it looks cool with a skin, but I can't get above 90% because it is slooooooooow.

I know this is possibly a(n obvious) blooper (that should've been spotted in editing or even on-site) in the new Challenger-video about the Centurion series. Towards the end, he visits the wrecked FV4202 prototype and mentions, that the wreck mounts a 105 for display-purposes only and that the tank actually mounted a 120mm gun. Implying the 120mm gun. Now there are no historical pictures or documents of this tank, that I am aware of, that feature it with anything but either the L7A1 or the 20 pounder, but just humor the thought: What would the FV4202 be like, if it mounted the Conq's 120mm gun or even the (future) Chieftain's gun?

Something like old FV4202 but with a bit worse gun stats because of bigger gun caliber. Of course I think about normal armor values, not this cra(p).

Tank still sucks. 35km/h hurts it really a lot. Couldn´t outclimb a normal long hill against a IS-3 ffs. I really like the Pershing and think this could be a lot like it but it is miles away in the easiness to play. The bloom values really seem to hurt this a lot, hill peeking and hitting with it is very hard for me even at medium ranges... and when you miss you pay 680 credits for it. I really would like to see this tank get some character in future patches just to have a different kind of medium to play. Now it is just shit and induces frustration in many ways.