Patient0

Opinions on New Physics

65 posts in this topic

Overall, this patch brings a new dimension to the driving mechanics. The introduction of the handbrake allows one to make adjustments quickly. I can use my handbrake to poke out of a corner, and rather than tradition turning, it'll actually move my tank. Handbrake is okay but doing a complete 180 seems only possible on light tanks. For mediums it's more like a 90 degree turn.

It feels good to not be completely stopped when one track goes up a ridge. To me, the vehicles feel more sluggish however. Turning feels laggy and acceleration feels worse.

Can't say if things feel/are more sluggish cause I mostly play heavies so I'm slow as fuck anyhow. But the movement and collisions do seem more natural and smoother like driving over rubble which would otherwise drop your speed by a half. Reversing seems slower but take off actually feels  better. Overall I likes it.

Pressing A+W/D makes turning a lot faster than what it was before (at least it feels that way). That first gear really feels quick. Acceleration forwards and backwards is definitely slower though. If you hold the handbrake for long enough you can do a 180 on most fast mediums. 

In my opinion tanks slide way too much and climbing slopes seems way too easy also. Other than that it's fine, I guess.

EDIT: Guess driver skill means nothing, as well as off road driving. :doge: 

43 minutes ago, Patient0 said:

It feels good to not be completely stopped when one track goes up a ridge. To me, the vehicles feel more sluggish however. Turning feels laggy and acceleration feels worse.

I noticed this specifically with my heavies! It isn't bad first gear feels great then just meh after. Do you feel it's certain tanks or do ALL tanks feel this way to you? What about lights?

Way more mobility on lighter, faster vehicles, little to no difference for heavies. It's kind of a big deal just because of the agility increase alone, you can really turn around and gtfo if things look bad in ways you couldn't before. I shelved the AMX 13 90 right before this, but testing it again the increase in mobility is massive. It hits 60s uphill where it would normally do 40s, and accelerates faster doing it. Doesn't bleed speed when turning either, it used to die if you went to circle something. This whole change is the first shift back toward favoring skill over hurr hurr dice in a while, it opens up more options for disengaging, relocating, and outmaneuvering.

My sole complaint so far is how your tracks "stick" to walls and wrecks. If you get too close to a wreck, you are not going to be able to shimmy away from it. You have to pass it or back up enough that none of your track is touching it.

16 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

My sole complaint so far is how your tracks "stick" to walls and wrecks. If you get too close to a wreck, you are not going to be able to shimmy away from it. You have to pass it or back up enough that none of your track is touching it.

Noticed this last night, doesn't help us plebs from Straya with 230ping.

Overall I do like the new physics, engine sounds whilst climbing need work. (Are the rev sounds tied to the speed displayed?)

reading some of the comments, a big one for me is definately not bleeding speed in turns or going over railroad tracks, rubble or edges of cliff inclines.

For me this has helped my heavy play, and I think it has screwed with my light play driving in the short run. Tried taking a 90 degree left turn after crossing a bridge in my T37 almost turned into a 135 degree turn into the water with no effort.

Hopefully my 'learning' curve to drive lights again isn't too bad.

All in all, think I am 80/20 like/dislike with the dislike being so many more yolo's by pubbies trying to do crazy crap

22 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

yes true, I have noticed this a cpl times even when my tank had an acute angle I still had to nudge forward a little to continue rotation - instead of your tank used to displace and turn at same time

So overall a plus then? I haven't seen anything too major in the complaint section so I was curious. I only got about 4 games in and didn't notice a difference (all in heavies).

They likely still have some bugs to work out. It's way too easy to flip too, tanks will try to run straight up a cliff face if you drive at them. I almost flipped trying to hug a steep hill to avoid arty, I'm pretty sure real tanks can't do parkour.

This might just be me, but overall I feel you actually turn faster now, ( which I like ). I haven't found myself in a situation where the handbrake is actually useful, but I do like the changes.

5 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

They likely still have some bugs to work out. It's way too easy to flip too, tanks will try to run straight up a cliff face if you drive at them. I almost flipped trying to hug a steep hill to avoid arty, I'm pretty sure real tanks can't do parkour.

They just need to add the winching option from WT ;-)

I think these physics actually have a much bigger impact than imagined.

The LTs feel much better now. I did a run in my T49, RU251, and T71. You can wiggle at full speed like a mad-man and you won't bleed speed, which means many more dodged shots and thus greater survivability.

My M46 Patton feels slower though. Can't put my finger on why though.

I kind of wish someone made a YT video of two side-by-side clips, one pre-new physics and one of the new physics. Exact same map, exact same tank, exact same route: two videos, running side by side. For multiple tanks. Then we'd know for sure. Unfortunately I did not do this :/

Played like 20 battles (lt/med/heavyum) the other day. So far im very positive about the changes, was screwed with my timings at first, but it feels very good. Especially (destroying) destroyed obstacles are easier to get past now.

Got stuck in a bolder by accident, tho, felt like it has some magnets attached to it. After all my xp seems to back up the statements of other ppl here in this thread.

I rate ok/10.

Some tanks are definitely slower, the overall feel is that heavy slow crap got slightly slower and light fast stuff got significantly faster. It's a big improvement to lights, faster mediums and TDs, and a smack down to heavies. They're trying to push tanks more into their intended roles, brick tanks are going to be less flexible and mobility now really matters.

18 hours ago, Kolni said:

The most annoying shit is that when your track collides with a wall or something you get stuck completely, whereas last patch you were able to still turn

it's gotten me killed several times because sidescraping decides to fuck me over completely by this

this x10

otherwise its cool patch i just need a new computer lel

Aside from the few foibles, I love this patch.  It's the best update we've had in ages.

The sounds and graphics upgrades make it feel almost like a new game and much more immersive.

I sincerely hope the novelty does not wear off too quickly.

The spic is really easy to turn over as it's too top heavy.  The pz1c is even more hilarious to drive now and I love the new machinegun sound.  Dakka dakka dakka!

This patch has actually killed the game for me more than Arty  could ever have hoped to do. They brough WT physics into the game and made everything into a slip n slide fest once your tank actually hits its top speed my E4's old top speed was 35 now its 33 same with FV215b 34 -> 32. gg WG

So previously mobility was balanced around power to weight and ground resistance. Does this impact that a great deal? Ie is either now more important?