Masterpupil2

I Need Your Help! Wotlabs Edition!

119 posts in this topic

Just now, hiipanda said:

I need to stop posting in between weekday games.

Haha :D And I should stop foruming when I start to look for the KV-2 in the America section and wonder why I can't find it when it was on the first page yesterday...

@JMak97008

Pardon my overlook on the counterpoints you brought up. I will address them. I appreciate the critique.

1 hour ago, JMak97008 said:

Casas, "To follow rules and especially guidelines as regimentally as denying yourself such a potentially enriching experience sounds Orwellian."

This is a child, Casas. And following rules even the rules prevent you from playing video games is not Orwellian. It's reasonable and logical to have children in school. 

You've improperly framed the issue here. It's not the rules holding him back. It's his attendance record. It's fairly annoying to see so many people ignore that this rule would not be an issue had young Ian not already reached the maximum number of absences. 

I remember missing a state champion's invitational track meet while in high school. Competing in and performing well would have greatly enhanced my scholarship opportunities. But I couldn't go because of school-related requirements. My parents were confident enough as were the other adults around me to remind me that school was more important. Hence, I find it absurd that you'd suggest he'd learn more on a one-week trip to Poland to play video games than he would school. 

If that were true, it's only because the adults have allowed the education system to crash and burn at the feet of every-kid-should-live-their-dream nonsense that is so prevalent these days. 

"Following rules even the rules prevent you from playing video games is not Orwellian" 

I agree with you, it's not.

I apologize if I did not clearly specify what I meant by my quotation and this in turn is going to sound as if I'm shifting goal posts. Take it as you may. I'll provide what I meant by that.

"To follow rules and especially guidelines as denying yourself such a potentially enriching experience sounds Orwellian"

OP fucked up on his attendance and that in turn creates this dilemma. True. Should he face the consequences. Yes. Why? Because rules are there to deter inefficiencies and preserve order; justice does not discriminate over "who deserves what". That's another reason why I won't sigh the petition. The dilemma is exacerbated because OP wants to play games in Poland but will face consequences.

People don't get younger and he will not have a chance to do this specific instance. His consequence: summer school at his parents expense.

I believe OP is doing well in grades. School will not offer ALL life skills required for a youth, neither the perspective, travel, lessons. We can agree that the current schooling system does not challenge the youth, attendance aside.

The quotation at hand refers to OP himself. OP should not curtail himself to a Orwellian esque mindset where you fear the rules like your life depends on it so you obstinately listen, even if it denies something you feel will benefit you more (this can be argued because it compromises OP chances of Uni for videogames). It's clear what my disposition is on this. Life is short and you need balance. A oldman who's grinded to pulp inside is a unfulfilled man. However apathy is the worser sin than contributing the little you can as a little man.

Is my way the best way for OP. No, I'm offering ideas to mull over.

Let's say this: Did OP earn his trip to Poland by having little regard to rules? Nope. Should OP force himself to do the right thing? No. From what he's telling us, he's doing alright in school as it is. He will fail his class because of attendance, not because of his academic competency. Attendance is as important as academics imo. Should OP just cancel his trip for the sake of morals? Morally, yes but objectively speaking, he has much more to gain indefintely.

What he gains is not book knowledge but possibly knowledge of the world, knowledge on culture, a lesson of opportunity cost and a good memory which I view personally more valuable than following a morally just rule and doing the mundane then pondering "what If's"

Like ancestors, we didn't do things because they're right but they're self serving and generally beneficial in the long term. Nuking Japan prevented Operation Olympia. Using the 44% KV-1 as a meat shield probably won the team the game. OP going to Poland for videogames and for foreign country experience (this is very open to interpretation because career/experience which is what I like about this thread) probably made a bigger impact in his life than spending a week in the same white wall classroom.

Of course Mack, it's about balance. Work Hard & Play Hard. This is my response to OP and the dilemma is very subjective because we both have different experiences that just seem right given different circumstance.

Thank you for challenging my views, I await your response. Feel feel to correct me or dispute anything and I'll do my best to address it.

@Masterpupil2 you've been getting hammered pretty hard in this thread, but I want you to know that even though this looks like a self-inflicted wound I'm still rooting for you to make it to Poland. Good luck kiddo! 

30 minutes ago, Kilpanic said:

@Masterpupil2 you've been getting hammered pretty hard in this thread, but I want you to know that even though this looks like a self-inflicted wound I'm still rooting for you to make it to Poland. Good luck kiddo! 

Yes I have, and this dude likes to hop all over my dick about it. I decided to ignore it, as there's nothing I could say to someone like that to change their mind- because he's simply so much better of a person than I am an internet warrior.

Thank you, though!

being given any major disciplinary infractions. Having only acquired 3 detentions up to his Junior year

5 years at high school, not a single detention, minor or otherwise :dealdog:

Seems like this forum is still full of 50 year old Dads sticking to some guns that their fathers before them left behind.  You're pleading to the wrong people here @Masterpupil2

I do however completely disagree with you deciding to miss 4 days of school "just because" (from what I've been told).  Education is important, no matter how fucking retarded high school public education has gotten these days, you have to fucking deal with it like most things in life.

I'm all for you going to Poland however, as Europe is culturally rich and it is my HOPE that you will explore Warsaw instead of kicking back in the hotel you stay at.  

Lastly, doesn't your school have select sports classes? I played tennis in high school, but I was state ranked so I could sign up for a free period to go home early and train WHILE still being on the tennis team at school.  We had mainly ballet, lacrosse, and variety sports listed for this type of class, and we DID have a pro CSGO player, hence esports (of which I didn't know because I didn't play vidya games back then :'( ).  You might want to look into that because that MIGHT get your absences nullified.  

6 hours ago, Shifty_101st said:

Seems like this forum is still full of 50 year old Dads sticking to some guns that their fathers before them left behind.  You're pleading to the wrong people here @Masterpupil2

I do however completely disagree with you deciding to miss 4 days of school "just because" (from what I've been told).  Education is important, no matter how fucking retarded high school public education has gotten these days, you have to fucking deal with it like most things in life.

I'm all for you going to Poland however, as Europe is culturally rich and it is my HOPE that you will explore Warsaw instead of kicking back in the hotel you stay at.  

Lastly, doesn't your school have select sports classes? I played tennis in high school, but I was state ranked so I could sign up for a free period to go home early and train WHILE still being on the tennis team at school.  We had mainly ballet, lacrosse, and variety sports listed for this type of class, and we DID have a pro CSGO player, hence esports (of which I didn't know because I didn't play vidya games back then :'( ).  You might want to look into that because that MIGHT get your absences nullified.  

That's what I've been saying shifty. I realize the mistakes made with the 4 pointless days, but in retrospect I NEVER thought to make it this far- I planned on missing 12 school days total until I made it to Vegas. I also can't argue anything about e-sports, as I'm the only one in my school to have ever done anything special with them. Not only that, but our sports teams are such shit that they never leave the state for anything, making the point that if they WERE good they would be able to without any problems, extremely hard to argue.

I signed. They won't listen but I signed.

Fuck it, go to Poland anyway and deal with summer school. Nothing you were planning on doing in the Summer is going to equal getting to go to Europe at 17 anyway.

And you are a dumb ass for already missing that much school.

This Jmak guy is preaching to the choir here. Sure MP can sound whiney on the Forumz of the wotlabs, but the difference here is that he's in highschool. You're not and a punk ass bitch internet argument isn't going to change a single thing. So arguing with him over a virtual plane of space is as pointless as going to a trump rally with bernie signs. You wont change a damned thing until something significant in his life does. So stop this irritable dad shit you stupid old fucks; yeah missing school was his fault, but no one want's to see a 12 page rant on some dad at work arguing with a 17 year old. Fuck off.

14 hours ago, MungeVolt said:

but no one want's to see a 12 page rant on some dad at work arguing with a 17 year old. Fuck off.

Edge-lord pseudo-adult whining is also quite obnoxious.

12 minutes ago, Solono said:

Edge-lord pseudo-adult whining is also quite obnoxious.

Obnoxious it may be, but this thread is so degenerate it reminds me of the daily /pol/ rants on how millenials ruin everything. :disco:

I'll be an edgelord for the remainder of my existence considering that I'll be teaching government fundamentals to highschool and freshmen college students as soon as i get my degree in education and dank memes. 

:serb:

1 hour ago, MungeVolt said:

I'll be an edgelord for the remainder of my existence considering that I'll be teaching government fundamentals to highschool and freshmen college students as soon as i get my degree in education and dank memes. 

:serb:

You'll be fired, pubbies run the school system and parents won't tolerate your bullshit, you'll be blackballed from the career in a month :serb: 

I'm at work so I don't have time to read everything Pupil sorry.

Here's a few thoughts I had:

but my argument is that physical-sport teams are given leave all over the state (and obviously the country), and none of those students have perfect attendance either- and the argument is different for my case only because I'm leaving the country rather than the state to earn money that I am labeled a "professional" in (not a single student in my school can say the same thing, past or present, which is why they disagree with it so much).

This is the main point of your argument if you get any kind of meeting with them that's official. Why does the school board discriminate against video game sports when all other competitors can get off school. You might want to find someone from your school or in your school board who is a bit "famous" in any capacity where they took time off for modeling or a singing career or acting, debating or something, but stayed in the school system (most people do home schooling during this time whent hey're gone). Find people who had more absences than is acceptable and use that as part of your argument. Being a part of these teams is great for learning team work, getting cultured in other countries and getting connections with people in a profession that you are interested in being a part of.
You could also point out how you'll be interviewed and you'll wear a school hat and personally thank the school for being so great and letting you go. Not that schools need publicity, but hey you never know what will work. As someone who played sports and band and missed a LOT of classes because of it including travelling, I can definitely tell you that going to another state or country to represent your school doesn't really mean shit to anyone. But then again if you CAN get your school some good publicity....you never know what people will say.

Another idea that some people will have issues with: Does your school board allow people to be sick longer than those days IF they have an excused day due to illness? If so, all you have to do is find someone on the forums who is a doctor who will write you a sick note or somehow convince a doctor in your area to write one. It's fairly unethical, however, I had a buddy who was a "doctor," and he wrote me a sick note from a hospital on the west coast of Canada, but I lived in the middle of it. He had a doctorate in hospital management or some bullshit and he wrote me one from that hospital hahaha. I had another buddy who was a real doctor a few provinces over and he wrote a note telling my work that he believed I broke my ribs playing basketball and it would be possible that I would need to do different things at work because of it. Also, if you want to REALLY go for it, you go to the event, find yourself a doctor there and convince him you're sick and that you'll need a note from him saying that he talked to you and that you can't be at work, or find someone at the event who will write it who is a doctor. I would make a simple post like "is anyone a medical doctor who is going to the event? Need to ask a question." hahah
You need someone that IF they call is willing to say "yep I talked to him and yep he was sick."

Good luck with it.

5 hours ago, Solono said:

You'll be fired, pubbies run the school system and parents won't tolerate your bullshit, you'll be blackballed from the career in a month :serb: 

:disco:

Signed the petition.  Best of luck in Poland, but keep this in mind.

World of Tanks eSports has no future whatsoever.  If this is LoL we're talking about here, then it's a completely different issue.  Don't ever think for a second the trip to Vegas or to Poland will garner you anything other than a fun, enjoyable experience.  I traveled to Las Vegas, San Francisco and Los Angeles for WGLNA and the things I got from the trips are phenomenal experiences and lots of personal/maturity growth, no more than that.  WoT eSports should not even be on the very bottom of your list of consideration for a future career.  The attention you get feels good, especially at your age, but understand that it's all temporary.  

If I was 16 again, I would probably feel the same way as you in this situation; especially now that you won 1st place in the previous season (congratulations!).  You may feel like you're on the top of the world; however the reality is WGLNA is really nothing and you should approach it with an attitude of nothing more than a side hobby.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Also I should mention; if your school system says you fail because you skipped too many days of school, then there should be no exception.  Doesn't matter if you're a rising singer, or model, or athlete; the same rule applies to every student.  No one deserves special treatment.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:02 PM, Masterpupil2 said:

<snip>

So, how did this ever turn out?   I think MP is on the list (and my fantasy team, LOL) to represent in Poland, but how did the waiver fair?

Also, OBE (overcome by events), but for next time, maybe solicit a letter from Wargaming to the School Board.  Not sure how much community good will Wargaming is in to, but they seem to be spending a ton of cash for the Grand Finals -- maybe they could have bought a few Anus laptops for MP's school's media center (to grease the skids)??